Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat 100km NW of Melbourne, 4 Feb 2024 #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Patton specifically answered this in the press conference. He was asked by a reporter “will the police be alleging this is a hit & run” . Patton’s response “no”. Go to the 9:25 mark in the press conference
Press conference
So it could still be a hit and not a run. I've been saying this for a while now.

Yep well aware it's from CCTV that morning

How do you know it's not the last image?

I'm not sure there is any significance of the police not mentioning the ear pods. Eg he also didn't mention the hair tie etc

I still think the phone would have been in her pocket
I believe in the early days of the investigation that police issued the "dog poo" photo, and it was the final image of Samantha that was released to the public. There was talk that perhaps she hadn't left the property and it's alleged (if only I had a dollar for every time I've typed that word lately) that there was more CCTV footage showing her leaving, but the public never got to see it. If that's true, then the media release is NOT the last image of her.

I'll try and see if there's an article that mentions this and leave a link.

IMO
It is the most obvious one,
considering the alleged "bender" and Police asking about a damaged car and collecting tree sap.
I am not convinced that it is the most obvious one, at this time. Patton says, 'It's not a hit and run. She was attacked.' He is uncommitted to saying ' a car was involved.'. I took this to mean, a car was not involved in her death
But in his actions in secreting the body, which is rational, I guess. He would hardly use a wheelbarrow or his quadbike. I got the impression that some damage might have been done to whatever vehicle was used to hide the body away from Mt Clear, some altercation with a tree stump or whatever.

But he was clear and concise re no hit and run incident. And the charge itself implies a deliberate, person to person, face to face, shirtfront to shirtfront matter.

Lots of rumours about a bender, the one that was videoed was back in January.. not the night before... . .

But this is just my take on it, we don't have to fall out about it .. . :cool:

I am not convinced that it is the most obvious one, at this time. Patton says, 'It's not a hit and run. She was attacked.' He is uncommitted to saying ' a car was involved.'. I took this to mean, a car was not involved in her death
But in his actions in secreting the body, which is rational, I guess. He would hardly use a wheelbarrow or his quadbike. I got the impression that some damage might have been done to whatever vehicle was used to hide the body away from Mt Clear, some altercation with a tree stump or whatever.

But he was clear and concise re no hit and run incident. And the charge itself implies a deliberate, person to person, face to face, shirtfront to shirtfront matter.

Lots of rumours about a bender, the one that was videoed was back in January.. not the night before... . .

But this is just my take on it, we don't have to fall out about it .. . :cool:

So...
ALLEGEDLY:

- A bloke is coming home in a car after the "bender"
- sees a lone female runner
- still full of drugs and alco decides to attack her.

????

My theory is of drunkenly chasing her and hitting her ALLEGEDLY.

Go to the 9:25 mark in the press conference
This is interesting. We've already covered this exact area and it has quoted verbatim and discussed extensively. I cannot locate that in my postings. But listen to that section in full and make your conclusions. Start at 9:21

Oh well,
So, in that case, it seems there is no incentive for him to talk :rolleyes:
IIRC there has been contradictory information regarding "No Body, No Parole" legislation in Victoria.
IANAL, but from what I can gather, it may depend on details. (Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong)

VICTORIA 'NO BODY NO PAROLE' LAWS
In Victoria, as per section 74AABA of the Corrections Act 1986 (Vic), the Board must not grant parole in respect of a prisoner serving a sentence of imprisonment for an offence of murder (including conspiracy to or being an accessory to), or manslaughter unless the Board is satisfied that the prisoner has cooperated satisfactorily in the investigation to identify:

• the location, or the last known location, of the body or remains of the victim; and
  • the place where the body or remains of the victim may be found.

Factors previously outlined will be relevant to assessing cooperation.
Furthermore, the Board may have regard to information ascertained from the Crown's case put at trial if that case includes reference to whether the prisoner was acknowledged to have information relevant to the location of the body or remains.

So...

- A bloke is coming home in a car after the "bender"
- sees a lone female runner
- still full of drugs and alco decides to attack her.

????
I don't know that he was coming 'home' in a car...from a bender or from anything really. What he was doing in the Canadian Forest bush track has never been revealed. We know what Samantha Murphy was doing, she was laying down some training for her 'Run the Gap' trek coming up later in the year, she left home early to slog in a short training session before it got too hot, and then was off to an 'important' brunch event with her friends, who sat there waiting for her, she was expected at 11 am there, till they called her husband and told him she had not turned up. We know what she was wearing.

So we do know what she was doing there, we do not know what he was doing there, why he was there, how long he had been there, in what direction he came from to be there, and which direction he took to leave there. I am sure the police know but we don't.

We don't know how he got there , what he was wearing.

We don't know what implements, or tools he was carrying, if any, we don't know if he was running, or walking, or stumbling down the path, did they pass each other? was he going one way, her the other?? we don't know.

Where did he go after murdering her? we don't know. Back to his parents house in Mt.Clear ? back to the shared house in Scotsburn?

Last edited:
However you unpack this, PS has done a great job covering his tracks to make sure Sam has not been found yet.

There must have been millions of $ spent trying to find Sam over 7+ weeks and yet, still nothing.

This suggests to me that it was not a "spur of the moment attack committed after a bender".

To me, PS was very likely wasted but had also run this scenario through his mind beforehand and had a fair degree of planning. He acted on a "fantasy" that he had thought about previously and had the guts to carry through with his plan when he was "numb" that morning.

Not sure if Sam had been the object of his deranged fantasy beforehand and was always going to be "the target" or, if she was "in the wrong place at the wrong time".

I hope they find Sam soon.

Also feeling so much grief for Mick and their children, we could not possibly imagine the nightmare the Murphy fam have been living through without Mum.
I agree with the planning DW and possible bender I really want to know the WHY…..great post.

I expected by now we would have heard something in the media about whether Sissy Austin recognised the accused as her attacker. But radio silence on that front. Wonder what that means????
I posted this a few weeks back. Possibly (and understandably) too much for her and she’s retreated.

Attachments

• IMG_0122.jpeg
    IMG_0122.jpeg
    111.9 KB · Views: 29
I posted this a few weeks back. Possibly (and understandably) too much for her and she’s retreated.
She claims it was on the anniversary of the attack (it wasn't) and she's publicly claiming a link between the two attacks (there most likely isn't, violent men really are everywhere). Definitely got told to shut up for the sake of the ongoing investigation.

I believe early in the investigation it was confirmed that 'location services' were switched off on Samantha's phone by Samantha i.e. they family could not use 'find my device'. I have always been curious as to how then her 'family' or friends knew on the Sunday that her phone had 'pinged' at Buningyong before any phone data was 'requested by the police'. I assume nothing was provided in the early days as it took several days for the Police to gain access to phone records. I know you can look at your own phone and see which Tower you are connected to but how was this information known on the 1st day of her disappearance. I was surprised she had location services switched off in the event she dropped her device whilst running and needed to locate the device. The original 'missing' posts on the Sunday were from her Neighbours and not the family themselves.

I keep walking several of the areas under investigation by myself. I have not seen a single person on foot doing the same for ages. I have moved out of the park as it appears to have been well searched. I have now investigated the area adjacent to the Ballarat Mine which is the location of a second Mt Clear Cell Tower. Whilst it is a pig sty (apologies to all pigs) with litter and building waste it appears to be to shallow to hide a body i.e. you hit the boundary fencing for the Mine and also you are adjacent to both the Tower (which is under maintenance) and residential homes.

I have focused on covering Tip Hill (on the other side of Whitehorse road to the mine) from the upper parts of the Pine plantation down to Frenchman's Lane and back as far as Magpie. It contains at least 40 mattresses, 3 couches, several washing machines, 2 fully burnt out cars. I thought it held more promise as the Police have investigated this area briefly and it contains at least 2 mines. I found one of the mines with quite steep sides to the mine head (too difficult to navigate through the undergrowth by yourself). I think I stumbled upon some fly tippers on Monday so decided to be more discrete. As this areas is not frequented by dog walkers I feel it and areas like it hold more promise as many dogs (not just police trained dogs) will catch the scent of something which may have died. Hence if no joggers or dog walkers it may hold more interest for avoiding detection (although there are motor bikes in the area). Several of the tracks though are very rutted and the water holes throughout are very shallow due to the lack of rainfall. Ok to hide a device but I don't think you could stash a body i.e. how would you get out into the middle without a floatation device etc. The area is hard to search off track though as the undergrowth is like being pricked by hundreds of needles. It would provide protection from overhead drones but a bit of challenge to shove a body.

If I already had a court appearance coming up for drugs and drink driving like young Mr PS I would be reluctant to expose myself to the chance of being pulled over by the Police for a random breath test. If he was carrying her body on the Sunday and it was getting very warm in the afternoon then I am afraid to say that the body would have started to smell. I have not smelt a decaying body but the first day would have involved leaking of liquid so you would have had a tricky time getting the smell out of your car, clothes and person. At 2pm it was in the 30s so I would be narrowing my time line down at least on the 1st day. Monday and Tuesday were very cool nights so although in your favour, unless you had her contained in a bag or something it would be messy to keep moving the body.

The search in Buningyong last week did not appear to have that many physical assets on the ground and felt very much for 'show'. I know they had detection dogs but they did not appear to search for very long or very comprehensively. I spoke to someone who was in the Canadian Forest on the day Samantha went missing and although he didn't know what was happening he said it did appear to be busier than normal owing to the numbers already out searching in the heat. I would not have left her body in Boak Road only to return later with a vehicle. The immediate area is to exposed.

I agree with the planning DW and possible bender I really want to know the WHY…..great
What’s the fixation on this bender thing? Who originally said that and what exactly did they mean? Our culture normalises “benders” which to many are just typical Saturday nights out on the town. The one in question happened in January anyway didn’t it? I’m not getting the relevance.

This is important. I always thought police specifically said it wasn't a hit and run, but after reading this, they only alleged it was a deliberate attack.

They did not confirm or deny that a car was involved.

The words, "not a hit and run" have popped up in numerous articles, but the words are always from the reporter, not the police.

Has anyone seen an article quoting the police using those words?

If a vehicle was actually used, then possibly the accused deliberately hit Samantha and recorded it on dash cam.

He may have sent the footage to someone.

Has anyone seen evidence of a dash cam on the vehicle?
I believe police said No to hit and run

What’s the fixation on this bender thing? Who originally said that and what exactly did they mean? Our culture normalises “benders” which to many are just typical Saturday nights out on the town. The one i. question happened in January anyway didn’t it? I’m not getting the relevance.
It was reported he was on a bender the night before the attack. There was footage of another bender, but it was months prior.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sk...ws-story/5d262521a14b0ff40107287138239936?amp

What’s the fixation on this bender thing? Who originally said that and what exactly did they mean? Our culture normalises “benders” which to many are just typical Saturday nights out on the town. The one in question happened in January anyway didn’t it? I’m not getting the relevance.

Quote:

"Friends claim Patrick Orren Stephenson

went on a bender the night before she vanished,

and new footage has shed light on his recent behaviour."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics