Baltimore, MD - Container Ship Strikes Francis Scott Key Bridge - Mass Casualty Situation

You don’t stop to pay, it’s EZ-pass now. Or tag reader if no EZ-pass.
So yes they should know who went south but not sure about going north as tag reader would be on north side.

Jmo
Yes they should but ,when you call the people they give you their attorney to call who tells you ,you have to mail them records from DMV YOURSELF . Anyway I believe Maryland was in a huge some kind of issues over their toll readers. They are just poop.
One example
Audit reveals late bills, improper charges, duplicate billing impacted thousands at Maryland tolls
There are more .
Lisa and I relate.

Chadonne Grant, an overnight security officer at the University of Maryland Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore, said Tuesday morning that the hospital had admitted several patients involved with the collapse. She didn’t know how many — “not a lot” — but said they were brought in by helicopter about 2:30 a.m. or 3 a.m.
Well, that sounds more than the one unharmed, one injured reported earlier, so, that's wonderful. May they recover swiftly.

MOO

I first thought of the Big Bayou Canot railway bridge disaster.

Though that one was down to human error and flawed bridge design.

MOO
And I first thought of the Tay Bridge disaster, also a railway bridge and due to flawed bridge design. Tay Bridge disaster
I can't imagine the terror being on the bridge and knowing ...
MOO

In Baltimore it seems there may be a couple of survivors? Can only pray.

Edited to add: When I saw the video of Baltimore bridge collapsing, I was shocked. I thought 'This can't be happening'. Sadly I was wrong.

Last edited:
Yeah I think they've got a good idea how many vehicles went in. The question will be how many occupants were in each, plus there seems to be confusion about the number of workers who were on the road crew doing repairs on the bridge. I hope the works payroll will be able to clear the latter up quickly.

MOO
Apparently this was an ez pass bridge so they should have an image of every license plate of vehicles that were on the bridge

It's being reported that roads are closed. I don't know that trucks could get through right now.

They mention detour routes ,like 2 they mentioned . I forgot the first one but the second one suggested was 895 .

About 40 ships, including 34 cargo vessels, currently have Baltimore listed as their destination, according to MarineTraffic, which tracks ships around the world. Georgios Hatzimanolis, who analyzes global shipping for MarineTraffic, said he expects some shipping delays. “We do expect there to be a ripple effect, but it’s a bit too early to say what the impact will be.”

The collapse of the Francis Scott Key Bridge has brought the Port of Baltimore, an important trade hub, to a halt.

The port handled a record amount of cargo last year, making it the 20th biggest port in the nation ranked by total tons, according to the Bureau of Transportation Statistics. It ranks first in the United States for the volume of automobiles and light trucks it handles and for vessels that carry wheeled cargo, including farm and construction machinery, according to a statement by Gov. Wes Moore of Maryland last month.

Two pilots were aboard the ship and they, as well as all 22 Indian crew members, have “been accounted for and there are no reports of any injuries.”

“When the sun rises, and there’s nothing there, that’s going to be heartbreaking for a lot of people,” she said.

About 40 ships, including 34 cargo vessels, currently have Baltimore listed as their destination, according to MarineTraffic, which tracks ships around the world. Georgios Hatzimanolis, who analyzes global shipping for MarineTraffic, said he expects some shipping delays. “We do expect there to be a ripple effect, but it’s a bit too early to say what the impact will be.”

The collapse of the Francis Scott Key Bridge has brought the Port of Baltimore, an important trade hub, to a halt.

The port handled a record amount of cargo last year, making it the 20th biggest port in the nation ranked by total tons, according to the Bureau of Transportation Statistics. It ranks first in the United States for the volume of automobiles and light trucks it handles and for vessels that carry wheeled cargo, including farm and construction machinery, according to a statement by Gov. Wes Moore of Maryland last month.
How many came in last month ?
How much volume came in verses what goes out .
Whats the turnover time ?
How long does it take to sort and invoice actual product ..etc.. billing issues ,incomplete data .
The river maybe stopped because it is blocked but the POB being completely shut down , It will take more than that bridge falling. Logistics

Last edited:
This being called a mass casualty does not necessarily mean that there are far more casualties than the estimated 7 or 20.

I looked up the definition of a mass casualty event:
The term “mass casualty event” means an incident resulting in casualties to not fewer than 3 victims, including— (i) an incident that exceeds the normal resources for emergency response available in the jurisdiction where the incident takes place; and (ii) an incident that results in a sudden and timely surge of injured individuals necessitating emergency services.

Source: Definition: mass casualty event from 34 USC § 10281(o)(1) | LII / Legal Information Institute

Edited for format

Baltimore port's private and public terminals handled 847,158 autos and light trucks in 2023, the most of any U.S. port.

The port also handles farm and construction machinery, sugar, gypsum and coal, according to a Maryland government website.

“While Baltimore is not one of the largest U.S. East Coast ports, it still imports and exports more than one million containers each year, so there is the potential for this to cause significant disruption to supply chains," said Emily Stausbøll, market analyst at Xeneta, an ocean freight shipping rate benchmarking and intelligence platform.

"Far East to U.S. East Coast ocean freight services have already been impacted by drought in the Panama Canal and recent conflict in the Red Sea, which saw rates increase by 150%, so this latest incident will add to those concerns."

It is one of the smallest container ports on the Northeastern seaboard, handling 265,000 containers in the fourth quarter of last year, according to container shipping expert Lars Jensen.

The Port of New York and New Jersey handled around 2 million containers in that same period, and Norfolk Port in Virginia handled 850,000, so the flow of containers to Baltimore can likely be redistributed to bigger ports, Jensen said.

More than 40 ships remained inside Baltimore port, including small cargo ships, tug boats and pleasure craft, data from ship tracking and maritime analytics provider MarineTraffic shows.

At least 30 other ships had signalled their destination was Baltimore, the data showed.

The Port of Baltimore — the biggest handler of US imports and exports of cars and light trucks — looks to be out of commission indefinitely. The resulting bottleneck could accelerate a shift of goods through West Coast ports. Another crucial question: Which other ports have spare capacity to handle the Ro-Ro vessels that carry automobiles if Baltimore is closed for an extended period.

With the Key Bridge in ruins ahead of the Easter weekend, trucks and passenger vehicles that would normally take Interstate 695 will face long detours and delays along the busy highway corridor that links Washington, Baltimore, Philadelphia and New York.

I-695 was an alternate route for hazardous materials and oversized vehicles that are prohibited from going through the more direct drive through the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel.

”You’re going to have to pick out the trusses and parts of the bridge that are in the water,” Doyle said. “The channel is going to be closed. That means any of the larger vessels that are in the Inner Harbor Port of Baltimore – inside of the Key Bridge – are going to remain there until further notice. All the other ships coming up the Chesapeake Bay are going to have to go on anchorage or divert to another port.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
just_thinking
Back