Baltimore, MD - Container Ship Strikes Francis Scott Key Bridge - Mass Casualty Situation

Jesus Campos, an employee of Brawner Builders, said his coworkers and friends were on the Key Bridge when it collapsed. Campos said he recently switched shifts, but had been working on the bridge himself before the shifts rotated. (Emily Opilo/Staff)
Jesus Campos, an employee of Brawner Builders, said his coworkers and friends were on the Key Bridge when it collapsed. Campos said he recently switched shifts, but had been working on the bridge himself before the shifts rotated

Wallace said dive crews are in the debris field, battling darkness.

"We'll be guided by our guide teams," Wallace said. "This water is current influenced, so right now, we think the current is coming in, so we have to take a lot of factors int play."

"We have to be thinking about the families and the people impacted," Scott said.

Ben Schafer, professor of civil and systems engineering at Johns Hopkins University, told CBS News that most bridges in the U.S. fall in this "fair" range, which is "not what we would want or suspect" as a society. But, he said, the massive ship – not the condition of the Key Bridge – is likely to blame for its collapse.

"Like others, I've watched the video a bunch of times and have gone frame by frame and worked up a few different hypothesis in my mind, but I see little evidence for anything other than: the boat strike took a bridge with two supports and took away one of them and then it fell in the water," Schafer told CBS News. "I mean, doesn't seem to be super more complicated than that."

Many bridges – whether a suspension bridge or an arched bridge – require two supports under the portion of bridge that goes over water, Schafer said. "This is the minimum number to cross over," he said.

"The container ship was as wide as it was as tall," Schafer said, adding that it was of similar scale to the bridge. "So the mass that's associated with that container ship creates an amount of energy that a small concrete pier isn't going to sustain. That's an accident that we can't allow to happen and expect the bridges to stay up."

Biden has suggested that the funding for rebuild should come from federal pockets, and called on Congress for support. So, that should take some of the burden off Baltimore and Maryland, if it passes.

That’s good news. I am also wondering if the insurance carrier for the container ship could be liable for any of the expenses. I hope so, but I’m sure it might involve lengthy legal battles? IMO.

Fascinating interview (CBS news video) and discussion is with a very experienced atty in maritime issues and an advisor at other harbors, James McCanty ("phonetic" spelling of his last name...prolly spelled differently) But, I digress...he had an interesting tidbit on what "should or has been done when ships lose power/steering/thrust etc and he says/implies "immediately dropping anchors" could have slowed down the ship. But is reserving final conclusion until "black box-type" recording of actual events is retrieved and examined. (New York board of pilot commissioners etc...very knowledgable man.)
His interview is intriguing, nonetheless.

Mar 26, 2024
The same vessel that hit the Baltimore Key Bridge on Tuesday, destroying it and sending people and vehicles tumbling into the water, was involved in a collision while leaving the port of Antwerp, Belgium, in 2016. According to Vessel Finder the weather was fine at the time, and the incident was reportedly blamed on the ship’s master and pilot on board Cargo ship that hit Baltimore bridge was involved in Antwerp collision in 2016
It's really not that unusual for large vessels like container ships and cruise ships to have contact with piers and docks and other cruise ships. Some of the ports are overcrowded and weather conditions, mechanical issues etc. can be a factor in accidents. I remember a Carnival ship plowing into another cruise ship a couple of years ago and another cruise ship which hit a pier during rough weather.

Synergy Group confirmed the collision in a statement to ABC News, saying the ship had been piloted by two individuals during the incident. The pilots of the ship were local, officials said at a press conference

Dali had been chartered by Danish shipping firm Maersk, company listingsshowed. Earlier this month, the ship traveled through the Panama Canal to Newark, New Jersey, before voyaging to Norfolk, Virginia, and finally reaching the Port of Baltimore, the listings said.

Maersk Shipping's global reach is extensive, with operations in over 130 countries worldwide. Its biggest clients include Amazon, Disney, Microsoft, etc.

Maersk and Wallenius Wilhelmsen have teamed up with Copenhagen University and major customers including BMW Group, H&M Group, Levi Strauss & Co. and Marks & Spencer to form the LEO Coalition, which will explore the environmental and commercial viability of LEO fuel for shipping.

*8th person is the State Inspector: Source WBAL
**The University of Maryland Medical Center's trauma center treated one patient from the collapse who has been discharged, Michael Schwartzberg, the medical center's spokesperson, said in an email.

Last edited:
"Eight people are believed to have fallen into the water during the collapse, said Paul Wiedefeld, Maryland’s transportation secretary. All eight were part of a construction crew filling potholes. Six of those people are still missing, he said. ... A reporter asked if officials thought anyone driving over the bridge had fallen into the water, aside from the construction workers. 'We believe it’s the construction crew only,' the transportation secretary responded."

This is absolutely devastating, but I'm shocked (in a good way) that it wasn't so much worse. The time of day helped, as did the mayday call. I know that's of zero comfort to the families and friends of those lost, but this could have been so much more catastrophic. Sending love to everyone in Baltimore. I also live in a port city, so this sort of tragedy hits close to home.

"President Biden

says government will pay the full cost to replace collapsed Baltimore bridge

and insists it was an accident:

President vows to

'move heaven and earth'

to get one of world's busiest ports reopened after disaster in Maryland."

Here's the dispatch audio from this morning's collapse of the Key Bridge in Baltimore.

"They knew the ship was running off course prior to collapse, they started clearing the bridge."

It Sounds like this tragedy could have been even worse than it is.

The quick actions seem to have stopped others entering the bridge - I’m guessing those missing are all road crew I really hope they are found before darkness falls - I wonder was any contact tried to be made with the road crew in the minutes leading up to the collision

I’m guessing this will soon turn from a rescue mission to a recovery mission

My thoughts go out to all the road crews family I hope you have news soon

Fascinating interview (CBS news video) and discussion is with a very experienced atty in maritime issues and an advisor at other harbors, James McCanty ("phonetic" spelling of his last name...prolly spelled differently) But, I digress...he had an interesting tidbit on what "should or has been done when ships lose power/steering/thrust etc and he says/implies "immediately dropping anchors" could have slowed down the ship. But is reserving final conclusion until "black box-type" recording of actual events is retrieved and examined. (New York board of pilot commissioners etc...very knowledgable man.)
His interview is intriguing, nonetheless.
According to this article on CNN, the ship did drop its anchor. I'm honestly impressed by how quickly the ship and its crew acted. I can't imagine how scary it would be to be on a ship that size and realize you had no control over it.

When they say there was about 20 vehicles on the bridge at the time what are they basing that on, visual inspection or toll information? If it's toll information then hopefully the toll booths are in areas where the bridge still exists and they made it off the suspension portion of the bridge.
The toll plaza is located here. There are no more toll booths, only toll gantries as toll collection is all E-ZPass.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
undefined.value
Back