Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat 100km NW of Melbourne, 4 Feb 2024 #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was on jury for a murder once. The murder occurred in a town about an hour + away from where the trial took place. It's not at all like Bull. They only know your name, address, occupation. You don't complete any questionnaires, or answer any questions other than can you be impartial in this case. We were just a bunch of randoms thrown together.
My case was in Melbourne in late 1980s and that's pretty much how it worked here too.

When they called my name out I was told to walk into the door of an almost empty court room. Inside were the defendant, his lawyer and the prosecution lawyer. Each side had the opportunity to challenge me (not accept me) as I walked slowly past them and offering (from memory) my name, occupation and perhaps my age? Maybe it was the suburb I lived in rather than my age? (too long ago now).

I think the only thing I might have gotten asked was, did I know the defendant.

It is so unusual , Eric, that I cannot recall VICPOL making such sort of statement before. . I don't think they have gone nuts, either, if they have, what an unfortunate time to do it .

They must have information ( in whatever form it takes ) to clearly indentify Mrs. Murphy as the victim, and Mr. Stephensen as the perpetrator. And no one else. Not the tiniest bit of capacity to misinterpret this information that they have must exist. To claim someone is dead without seeing, or actually even finding the body is one huge leap of faith, unless there is that kind of information that leads to no other possible conclusion.

I am not sure that unusual actually covers it adequately.
Would we be informed if they found a part of her body in his possession? If they found a hand in his car or in his parents home for example, would they tell the family or make a public announcement? A significant body part matched to her and connected to him could be direct evidence of murder….

Would we be informed if they found a part of her body in his possession? If they found a hand in his car or in his parents home for example, would they tell the family or make a public announcement? A significant body part matched to her and connected to him could be direct evidence of murder….
That counts as human remains, and I cannot think of any reason why they would not inform the family.

I also think they would tell the public. Samantha's ongoing missing status is hurting the community, and every new volunteer search runs the risk of a member of the public being injured looking for her.

MOO

If VICPOL considered that information to be in the public interest, then yes., if not, then no, it would be made public during trial, perhaps not in the opening sequence, but in questioning of the accused during trial.
That is, naturally, if the accused takes the witness stand. I'd bet if it all gets that far, he will never set foot in it. His barrister would advise him strongly not to.

If he pleads guilty, the judge would mention that fact in his outline of the case, leading up to his reasoning for sentencing.

Sadly, the family would need to be told before it was entered into the court record. Dreadful.

But I bet you want to ask , 'what does VICPOL consider 'in the public interest'.. I don't know. It varies. keeping in mind she has/had children, of a tender age, 18 is pretty tender, at home.

Last edited:
Maybe, maybe not. There was quite a lot of discussion when Melissa Caddick's foot was found, about whether it was definite proof that she was deceased.

I understand and respect what you're saying. But in the moment he was asked "was it a hit and run" and he paused briefly before responding "no", an alternative interpretation could be that if LE were alleging that Samantha died directly due to some other means undertaken by the perpetrator subsequent to an incident with a vehicle, he may have felt it more accurate to reply "no" to her death being a hit and run
This seems entirely possible (although we have no way of knowing).

<modsnip: Not LE friendly>

Last edited by a moderator:
'provincial police officer'...

Shane Andrew Patton APM is an Australian police officer and as of June 2020, the Chief Commissioner of Victoria Police. Currently, is in charge of at June 2023, Victoria Police has 21,326 staff, comprising 15,842 police officers, 1,412 Protective Services Officers, 346 Police Custody Officers and 216 Police Recruits in training, 2 reservists and 3,507 Victorian Public Service (VPS) employees across 333 police stations.

Quite a large operation. Covering a land mass the size of England, minus Wales , a bit bigger than Oregon, a little bigger than Utah, USA.

Shane Andrew Patton APM is an Australian police officer and as of June 2020, the Chief Commissioner of Victoria Police. Currently, is in charge of at June 2023, Victoria Police has 21,326 staff, comprising 15,842 police officers, 1,412 Protective Services Officers, 346 Police Custody Officers and 216 Police Recruits in training, 2 reservists and 3,507 Victorian Public Service (VPS) employees across 333 police stations.

Quite a large operation. Covering a land mass the size of England, minus Wales , a bit bigger than Oregon, a little bigger than Utah, USA.
Victoria's second greatest Shane. I bow to his credentials.

Hear hear!

Maybe, maybe not. There was quite a lot of discussion when Melissa Caddick's foot was found, about whether it was definite proof that she was deceased.
I was trying to be gentler when I used the example of a hand. In truth I was thinking of another body part that you can’t be without, and would indicate death and murder in no uncertain terms.
The police have somehow seen for themselves the harm done to Samantha.

This seems entirely possible (although we have no way of knowing).

<modsnip: Not LE friendly>

The Vic Police Commissioner Shane Patton

One of the Sharpest minds who is a true leader, has enormous experience

Four decades of experience in policing

Last edited by a moderator:
Eh what? Her family are entirely entitled to remain silent, and I don't imagine they want to be in jail at all!
My apologies, I was expecting you could all read my mind haha…. ;):D

What I was trying to convey was that Samantha wasn’t “a protected species”, the accused has the right to remain silent as to Samantha’s whereabouts while SM and her family are denied a timely, dignified burial, and answers from the accused. Why is the law structured in such a way to protect the accused while failing to protect the victim, and furthering suffering and grief for her family? My question is, where is the justice here? The entire legal system seems to privilege those who do the allegedly “wrong thing”, not upright citizens like SM and her family…

Honestly I don’t think 30 years in jail is “justice” for the alleged accused’s actions…. Why are concepts of “justice” so far removed from the actions accused parties have taken which have destroyed others’ lives, irrevocably…. How is this “justice”? JMO

Last edited:
I was trying to be gentler when I used the example of a hand. In truth I was thinking of another body part that you can’t be without, and would indicate death and murder in no uncertain terms.
The police have somehow seen for themselves the harm done to Samantha.
Bingo! I claim seen and heard. They would not make a mistake about it, claiming her to be deceased if there was any, the slightest chance of that being an error. And also, no possibility, not the tiniest piece of possibility of a mis identification. They have to be absolutely sure it is her. And, consequently, absolutely sure that it was him that caused this horror.

Was that in Victoria? That's interesting that no questions are asked beyond whether you have the ability to be impartial. I'm guessing a lot more rides on body language and profiling that I originally thought.
Queensland. A while ago. We were all challenged the first time around. I thought that was me done. But we all went through it a second time. I was juror #11. I think body language and profiling are not done in Australia. It seemed much more random. And our jury was varied. No 'type'. I think we sometimes think tv is real. It sure isn't. Especially in Australia. Both prosecution and defence know we have a fair and equitable system. I've been on a jury several times. Only once for murder. I've seen defence lawyers not doing a very good job, because they know what is fair. Honestly, I don't believe jury profiling is really done at all. Shows like Bull are just that in Australia. Bull. Presume innocent and have a fair and equitable trial.

Stephenson as a local electrician would or could have access to all sorts of building sites, businesses, residential homes (new and old) and farming buildings etc. His work would see him accessing areas of homes and buildings that not many other people would ordinarily explore. Samantha may not even be in the bush. Just a thought…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuznFinder