Found Deceased FL - Madeline Soto, 13, Missing Child Alert, 13500 blk Town Loop Blvd, Orlando, 26 Feb 2024 *arrest* #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
The response to these 911 calls will be outrage IMO. I expect that Osceola County parents are going to flip out and hopefully someone will ask about these calls at the next press conference.

I have to say I’d be losing my mind with frustration by the third call. I don’t understand why JS wasn’t the one to call. Was she too overwhelmed to speak? Did the sister have a difficult time trying to convince JS to call 911 or something?

It makes no sense to me that there was 0 mention of whether JS had called SS and cleared that he in fact dropped MS off.

These phone calls just raise more questions.

The response to these 911 calls will be outrage IMO. I expect that Osceola County parents are going to flip out and hopefully someone will ask about these calls at the next press conference.

I have to say I’d be losing my mind with frustration by the third call. I don’t understand why JS wasn’t the one to call. Was she too overwhelmed to speak? Did the sister have a difficult time trying to convince JS to call 911 or something?

It makes no sense to me that there was 0 mention of whether JS had called SS and cleared that he in fact dropped MS off.

Did the dispatcher even ask how old she was?

The 911 calls were placed to the Orange County Sheriff’s office, NOT the Osceola County Sherrif’s Office. Osceola and Orange are two different counties that are next to one another. Maddie’s school and the church near the school are in Orange County. Maddie lived in Kissimmee, which is within Osceola county, and her body was discovered in Osceola County (outside of Kissimmee).

I hope there’s outrage over the response time! There should be! Claiming “there are no deputies available” when a child has been missing for hours is unacceptable. The Orange County Sherrif’s Office is going to take a lot of heat for this, as they should. My close family members that are LE agree that there’s no reason for a long response time when it comes to a missing child.

This video has what sounds like three complete calls:
Call 1: by Person 1, could possibly be JS’s sister. She gives a description of MS, says MS has been missing since 8am, doesn’t have her phone, takes ADHD medication, etc. She says her [redacted, but I’m guessing if this is the sister, she’s talking about her mother] and JS are going back to the school, but she is going to stay where she is for when deputies arrive.
Call 2: by Person 2 who I am guessing is JS’s mom. She asks when a deputy is going to arrive and is told no deputy is available. She says they’ve already called 911 three times and asks why no one is responding to a report of a missing child. She is audibly frustrated.
Call 3: by Person 1 and actually sounds like she gets the same dispatcher who may recognize the call. She asks when a deputy is coming, how much longer can they expect to wait, and is told no deputy is available yet and sometimes when there is a big emergency in the area, deputies are busy. Person 1 says MS has been missing since 8am and it is urgent, they need help.

It is extremely frustrating to listen to, I can’t imagine what it would feel like to call 911 and be told that your missing 13 y/o is essentially not a priority.
Hello Mack the Knife:
Thank you for the call recording-breakdown.
Call #1, I agree with your assessment, When the call Op asks: "are you calling on behalf of...", I can just catch her answer, "yes, she's my si..." (I believe she says sister =JS), further on the call Op asks: "What was the child wearing?", caller replies: "Hold on, let me ask, Jen what colour... etc.".
I also agree with your conclusion that the second call was the grandmother; the third was the sister again.
To me also it's mind-boggling to wonder why LE did not respond in a more timely manner...? Not that it would've changed the outcome - if Maddie was deceased prior to 8am but it may well have curtailed Sterns movements, all of which is arbitrary bc the sick f is now locked up but it does leave me pondering "what ifs...."

I hope Maddie is finally at peace.
Moo.

I'm trying to understand domestic violence so doing some reading on the topic. I thought I'd share a few things.

Domestic violence, spousal abuse, battering, or intimate partner violence, is typically the victimization of an individual with whom the abuser has an intimate or romantic relationship. The CDC defines domestic violence as "physical violence, sexual violence, stalking, and psychological aggression (including coercive acts) by a current or former intimate partner."
They're not super clear, they blend it all together and make it sound like DV is exclusively by an intimate partner but it isnt. Whereas IPV is exclusive to intimate partners,

"Domestic Violence (DV) can occur between a parent and child, siblings, or even roommates. and intimate partners.
whereas
Intimate Partner Violence (IPV) is specific to romantic partners who may or may not be living together.

It's not giving us any clues., cause they'd both be considered DV?

Last edited:
It is extremely frustrating to listen to, I can’t imagine what it would feel like to call 911 and be told that your missing 13 y/o is essentially not a priority.
I would die, and when are they coming? not even a definite time "as soon as they can.." and they wonder why people go postal.

I guessed that the sister was caller one,
someone with no accent was caller 2' ( nope wrong , I listened again and caller 1 and 2 are the same person)
and i think Jenn's mom was caller 3 ( same voice as Telemundo interviews)

When that person asked Jenn about the last seen wearing... why the pause? was jenn not near the questioner or did Jenn have to ask someone else?

Last edited:
OCSO is currently down 190 deputies. Not a problem unique to this dept.
About the bashing of Orange County Sheriff's Dept deputies out on patrol not working fast enough to complete their calls to get to JS's condo sooner. Call receivers and dispatchers do not reroute deputies from in progress calls to take a report of a teenager who didn't go to school and can't be found that afternoon/evening. That is what the event is until more information is received.

You and I only now know it wasn't a teenager that cut school, and the family knew that it wasn't likely, but the fact is that almost always, teens that miss school or can't be found by parents, are not the victims of foul play. Bringing up examples of teens being victims of foul play does not change this fact. You have to include the thousands that cut school every day and eventually return home. The missing report wouldn't have been seen by the right unit until the next day, after which a public bulletin was posted.
Orange County is very transparent, you can go to their website and actually see the current calls for service.
MOO

America is in the midst of a police officer shortage that many in law enforcement blame on the twofold morale hit of 2020 — the coronavirus pandemic and criticism of police that boiled over with the murder of George Floyd by a police officer.

I want to know why it took multiple 911 calls to get the police to respond to a missing child, 3+ hours after she was reported missing.
I'm confused why the released calls appear to be other people--i.e. *possibly* grandmother and an aunt or family friend? I'm only guessing the second caller may have been MS aunt as she was also interviewed and I believe "on the scene" in the Telemundo videos outside.

This makes me wonder if the initial calls by JS (?) or someone else went to a local police department phone number or something less urgent? Still, I agree, troubling.

I'm remembering from the interviews how there was information about the JS, and I believe others going to grandmother's office, a store of some kind--I think a comic shop, random places MS could have been prior to contacting LE? Does anyone else remember this? Or did this happen AFTER? WHat I am getting at is, maybe some level of LE was contacted, some searching and THEN calls to 911--i.e. escalated?

Poor MS was deceased anyway, but this is weird/disturbing. A young girl missing all day should trigger more response, I would think UNLESS maybe the people calling it in did not convey urgency initially? I can't think of a reason for several hours delay. Confusing.

Edited" sorry was a WS lag on my end. I see comments have cleared some of this up. Still, disturbing. Maybe JS was on the phone with others while family kept dialing 911, etc? That would make sense as she would be the one with contact info for friends, etc.

The 911 calls were placed to the Orange County Sheriff’s office, NOT the Osceola County Sherrif’s Office. Osceola and Orange are two different counties that are next to one another. Maddie’s school and the church near the school are in Orange County. Maddie lived in Kissimmee, which is within Osceola county, and her body was discovered in Osceola County (outside of Kissimmee).

I hope there’s outrage over the response time! There should be! Claiming “there are no deputies available” when a child has been missing for hours is unacceptable. The Orange County Sherrif’s Office is going to take a lot of heat for this, as they should. My close family members that are LE agree that there’s no reason for a long response time when it comes to a missing child.
Isn’t this type of thing when they send out an “Amber Alert” and everyone’s cell phones honk? That’s what happens in my state.

About the bashing of Orange County Sheriff's Dept deputies out on patrol not working fast enough to complete their calls to get to JS's condo sooner. Call receivers and dispatchers do not reroute deputies from in progress calls to take a report of a teenager who didn't go to school and can't be found that afternoon/evening. That is what the event is until more information is received.

You and I only now know it wasn't a teenager that cut school, and the family knew that it wasn't likely, but the fact is that almost always, teens that miss school or can't be found by parents, are not the victims of foul play. Bringing up examples of teens being victims of foul play does not change this fact. You have to include the thousands that cut school every day and eventually return home. The missing report wouldn't have been seen by the right unit until the next day, after which a public bulletin was posted.
Orange County is very transparent, you can go to their website and actually see the current calls for service.
MOO

America is in the midst of a police officer shortage that many in law enforcement blame on the twofold morale hit of 2020 — the coronavirus pandemic and criticism of police that boiled over with the murder of George Floyd by a police officer.

190 deputy's down! They seem to have a multitude of specialty programs. I do believe these programs have some value, however, the primary function of LE is to protect the community
Moo

Lacking boots on the ground should not be an excuse for lack of emergency services. Common sense says....shift staff from "programs" to actual law enforcement and services. When it takes 3 plus hours and multiple phone calls for a missing 13 year old, it would seem "somebody" should respond.

I did try to look up the call log for the 2/26, unsuccessfully.

As, I posted much earlier in the thread, I'd be demanding a supervisor, calling my Board of Supervisor Representative and the media. There is No excuse exceptable, period !!!

All my opinion

MOO

Fair points maybe, but I don’t think anyone was “bashing” them. Just stating a disbelief that a missing child report went unanswered for so long, especially considering how critical the first hours are when a child goes missing.

Isn’t this type of thing when they send out an “Amber Alert” and everyone’s cell phones honk? That’s what happens in my state.
There are strict criteria for Amber Alerts to be issued, and they often don’t go out until officers have enough information to believe that the child is in immediate danger.

The law about autopsy reports uses this definition of domestic violence from Florida statutes.

741.28 Domestic violence; definitions.—As used in ss. 741.28-741.31:

(1) “Department” means the Florida Department of Law Enforcement.

(2) “Domestic violence” means any assault, aggravated assault, battery, aggravated battery, sexual assault, sexual battery, stalking, aggravated stalking, kidnapping, false imprisonment, or any criminal offense resulting in physical injury or death of one family or household member by another family or household member.

(3) “Family or household member” means spouses, former spouses, persons related by blood or marriage, persons who are presently residing together as if a family or who have resided together in the past as if a family, and persons who are parents of a child in common regardless of whether they have been married. With the exception of persons who have a child in common, the family or household members must be currently residing or have in the past resided together in the same single dwelling unit.

(4) “Law enforcement officer” means any person who is elected, appointed, or employed by any municipality or the state or any political subdivision thereof who meets the minimum qualifications established in s. 943.13 and is certified as a law enforcement officer under s. 943.1395.

History.—s. 1, ch. 94-134; s. 1, ch. 94-135; s. 1, ch. 95-195; s. 4, ch. 97-155; s. 9, ch. 2002-55.

This is part of the law relating to autopsies of minors

(2)(a) A photograph or video or audio recording of an autopsy held by a medical examiner is confidential and exempt from s. 119.07(1) and s. 24(a), Art. I of the State Constitution, except that a surviving spouse may view and copy a photograph or video recording or listen to or copy an audio recording of the deceased spouse’s autopsy. If there is no surviving spouse, then the surviving parents shall have access to such records. If there is no surviving spouse or parent, then an adult child shall have access to such records.

(b) An autopsy report of a minor whose death was related to an act of domestic violence held by a medical examiner is confidential and exempt from s. 119.07(1) and s. 24(a), Art. I of the State Constitution, except that a surviving parent of the deceased minor may view and copy the autopsy report if the surviving parent did not commit the act of domestic violence which led to the minor’s death.

(3)(a) The deceased’s surviving relative, with whom authority rests to obtain such records, may designate in writing an agent to obtain such records.

(b) Notwithstanding subsection (2), a local governmental entity, or a state or federal agency, in furtherance of its official duties, pursuant to a written request, may:

1. View or copy a photograph or video recording or may listen to or copy an audio recording of an autopsy; and

2. View or copy an autopsy report of a minor whose death was related to an act of domestic violence.

Unless otherwise required in the performance of official duties, the identity of the deceased shall remain confidential and exempt.

You can get to the domestic violence law through a link in the link i posted.

So I think the real $64,000 question is has JS seen the autopsy report? Because if not it would seem she may be involved. According to the law. Also remember that what happened to Gannon is considered domestic violence. Just to put a perspective in the mix.

The law about autopsy reports uses this definition of domestic violence from Florida statutes.

741.28 Domestic violence; definitions.—As used in ss. 741.28-741.31:

(1) “Department” means the Florida Department of Law Enforcement.

(2) “Domestic violence” means any assault, aggravated assault, battery, aggravated battery, sexual assault, sexual battery, stalking, aggravated stalking, kidnapping, false imprisonment, or any criminal offense resulting in physical injury or death of one family or household member by another family or household member.

(3) “Family or household member” means spouses, former spouses, persons related by blood or marriage, persons who are presently residing together as if a family or who have resided together in the past as if a family, and persons who are parents of a child in common regardless of whether they have been married. With the exception of persons who have a child in common, the family or household members must be currently residing or have in the past resided together in the same single dwelling unit.

(4) “Law enforcement officer” means any person who is elected, appointed, or employed by any municipality or the state or any political subdivision thereof who meets the minimum qualifications established in s. 943.13 and is certified as a law enforcement officer under s. 943.1395.

History.—s. 1, ch. 94-134; s. 1, ch. 94-135; s. 1, ch. 95-195; s. 4, ch. 97-155; s. 9, ch. 2002-55.

This is part of the law relating to autopsies of minors

(2)(a) A photograph or video or audio recording of an autopsy held by a medical examiner is confidential and exempt from s. 119.07(1) and s. 24(a), Art. I of the State Constitution, except that a surviving spouse may view and copy a photograph or video recording or listen to or copy an audio recording of the deceased spouse’s autopsy. If there is no surviving spouse, then the surviving parents shall have access to such records. If there is no surviving spouse or parent, then an adult child shall have access to such records.

(b) An autopsy report of a minor whose death was related to an act of domestic violence held by a medical examiner is confidential and exempt from s. 119.07(1) and s. 24(a), Art. I of the State Constitution, except that a surviving parent of the deceased minor may view and copy the autopsy report if the surviving parent did not commit the act of domestic violence which led to the minor’s death.

(3)(a) The deceased’s surviving relative, with whom authority rests to obtain such records, may designate in writing an agent to obtain such records.

(b) Notwithstanding subsection (2), a local governmental entity, or a state or federal agency, in furtherance of its official duties, pursuant to a written request, may:

1. View or copy a photograph or video recording or may listen to or copy an audio recording of an autopsy; and

2. View or copy an autopsy report of a minor whose death was related to an act of domestic violence.

Unless otherwise required in the performance of official duties, the identity of the deceased shall remain confidential and exempt.

You can get to the domestic violence law through a link in the link i posted.

So I think the real $64,000 question is has JS seen the autopsy report? Because if not it would seem she may be involved. According to the law. Also remember that what happened to Gannon is considered domestic violence. Just to put a perspective in the mix.
I would imagine she would currently be entitled to the report as she has not been charged with any crime leading to the death of MS.

There are parameters put in place that must be met before an Amber Alert can be issued.

In FL, there must be:
- a clear indication of an abduction
- investigation must conclude the child’s life is in danger
- LE must have a detailed description of the child and/or the abductor or vehicle to broadcast to the public

If AA’s were issued for every child that went missing, there would be so many false alarms sent out that it would lessen their impact and people would start to ignore them.

For an AMBER Alert to be effective in recovering a missing child, the law enforcement agency must have enough information to believe that an immediate broadcast to the public will enhance the efforts of law enforcement to locate the child and apprehend the suspect. This element requires as much descriptive information as possible about the abducted child and the abduction, as well as descriptive information about the suspect and the suspect’s vehicle. Issuing alerts in the absence of significant information that an abduction has occurred could lead to abuse of the system and ultimately weaken its effectiveness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member