OK OK, Veronica Butler 27 & Jilian Kelley 39, Vehicle Abandoned, Texas County, 30 Mar 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding the major police presence at the scene, it's possible that one cop initially showed up after a call about the vehicle, but after seeing the seriousness and state of the car and scene, he called for backup. I'm not sure they all were there initially. Unless of course whoever called, described the scene in detail possibly after the caller actually stopped to check it out.

(KAKE) - New video a viewer sent KAKE News shows the scene where the abandoned car was found that Veronica Butler and Jilian Kelley were last seen in.

Derek Releford was driving to the grocery store when he passed it. It shows dozens of law enforcement officers on the side of the road looking around.

"We saw the abandoned car with doors open and police presence on the other side of the road," said Derek Releford when talking about what he saw when coming across it.

Based on the video, it doesn't seem like this witness was close enough to tell whether there was a window smashed out or not. But in the podcast at the bottom of the below article, Nicole Partin, Investigative Reporter for CrimeOnline, says she spoke to a female witness who was traveling the same road and saw the abandoned car. The witness said at least one of the windows was smashed on the car, and that she made a 911 call to report it. Starts at about 23:33.

Missing Mom and Preacher’s Wife Vanish, Picking up Kids: Car Just Found – Crime Online

ETA: Nicole also says they know the car was found on the right side of the road (on the way TO the Four Corners Trading Post). She is also "being told" that both VB and JK's phone's last pings were at the location of the vehicle.

Last edited:
Based on the video, it doesn't seem like this witness was close enough to tell whether there was a window smashed out or not. But in the podcast at the bottom of the below article, Nicole Partin, Investigative Reporter for CrimeOnline, says she spoke to a female witness who was traveling the same road and saw the abandoned car. The witness said at least one of the windows was smashed on the car, and that she made a 911 call to report it. Starts at about 23:33.

Missing Mom and Preacher’s Wife Vanish, Picking up Kids: Car Just Found – Crime Online

ETA: Nicole also says they know the car was found on the right side of the road (on the way TO the Four Corners Trading Post). She is also "being told" that both VB and JK's phone's last pings were at the location of the vehicle.
Thank you so much @PommyMommy
I never saw that podcast below the article.
I also appreciate the posts you have shared showing the Four Corners location. So helpful.

Regarding the major police presence at the scene, it's possible that one cop initially showed up after a call about the vehicle, but after seeing the seriousness and state of the car and scene, he called for backup. I'm not sure they all were there initially. Unless of course whoever called, described the scene in detail possibly after the caller actually stopped to check it out.
If the doors were standing open and a window smashed, perhaps other signs of crime, as a woman I certainly would NOT stop nor check it out but would call 911. There is too much going on today to endanger yourself by leaving your vehicle to inspect something that looks like a crime scene.

A post up thread said the car was found by police at 10:30 am, a little over an hour after the women left. We can assume that is around 9:15 am. The trip was about 45 min.

So they should have arrived about 10 am.

30 minutes later, car was found.. not enough time past expected showing for the grandmother or whoever to be concerned and report it.

Also, not enough time for something to have happened elsewhere than the car being brought back.

Whatever happened, happened there.

We know the woman who called 911 called a little after 10 am.

I’d say about 35 min into their drive, they were taken.

Kind of a crazy move in broad daylight to grab two women and their phones without anyone seeing.

MOO

They have to dispose of the car somewhere, so put it somewhere quite public, rather than trying to find a place in the flat, treeless panhandle.
100% my thought too. I also agree with CuriousCricket’s take about timing potentially playing a role in this being the chosen spot too. Maybe not even because of a hope that it would take awhile to be found, but just that it felt the most feasible of all disposal options… so I don’t think the car’s placement rules out someone known to them the way I’ve seen theorized.. MOO

I wonder if the timeline of announcing them as victims, indicates forensic results on blood found in the car came back. Showing the blood was from both of them, not just one or the other.
I feel like this is why they took a few days to call it foul play. While there's tests that can show if it's human or animal blood on scene, a more detailed analysis of the blood supposedly found to be human would take a few days.
It would have to be a substantial amount of blood, enough to indicate that the person who lost it couldn't make it without medical attention.

Or it could be something more sinister, like brain matter, for example. Something you know for a fact that if it was outside of the human body, it'd mean a lot of trouble. It would align with the windows being shattered, even, if the shattering was caused due to the firing of a gun, and it would be less visible than copious amounts of blood.

Edited to correct a word.

Last edited:

Based on the video, the driver was going north on 95 and the police vehicles were on the west side of L Rd near the intersection with 95. I originally thought the car was found on NO620 Rd which is a few hundred feet south on 95. After viewing the video, I realized the angle was wrong for it to be NO620 Rd.
I wonder if a vehicle was either pulled across 95 south forcing the victims to turn on to L Rd or VB was told to go to L Rd, right off 95, to meet for the pickup. If the latter was the case, they may have been told it was safer than having the children get out on the busier 95.
VB may not have felt comfortable with this new location, but was excited for her daughter’s birthday party and may have felt safe because she was with JK which had her let down her guard a bit.
ETA that I don’t believe Nicole’s statement about the location of the vehicle being on 95 is correct.

Attachments

• IMG_0353.jpeg
    IMG_0353.jpeg
    141.7 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Do we have this substantiated. This sequence is quite important, so hope you can add the link.

I guess the reason I find this so important is..... why would so much LE show up for a "simple" 911 call about a stranded vehicle. Or did the 911 include much more??????

I am pretty sure we have had it substantiated that there was extensive LE presence when the husbands showed up.
but best state imo....
A very large police presence there right away. The two pastors coming down from Kansas right away. I still wonder if one of the women was able to get hold of one of the pastors, or the pastors couldn't get hold of them, and a pastor called the police and described the women and car. Then the police combining that info with the 911 call about the abandoned KIA (and possibly their knowledge of the parties involved) realized what was likely happening and got all hands on deck right away.

I do have some trouble with our conversations about a ruse call to VB to go to a new location. I think whoever did this is quite savvy and would know a voice or text message would be easily tracked.
Thus, for now, I can't include it in any scenario of what went down.

Moo... hopefully there will tire tracks that show what happened. A vehicle could have chased them off course and another could have been waiting to block them in.
The speed at which the car was discovered, coupled with the low amount of vehicle traffic, would make any tire tracks that much more valuable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CumulativeHazard