OK OK, Veronica Butler 27 & Jilian Kelley 39, Vehicle Abandoned, Texas County, 30 Mar 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of three Oklahoma Panhandle counties created at 1907 statehood from Beaver County (formerly the Public Land Strip), Texas County is the state's second largest, encompassing 2,048.82 square miles of land and water area. It is bounded by Cimarron County on the west, by Beaver on the east, and by the states of Kansas and Texas on the north and south, respectively. In the late 1880s the area was also included in the proposed Cimarron Territory. Since 1907 Guymon has been the seat of county government. In addition to Guymon, incorporated towns include Goodwell, Hardesty, Hooker, Optima, Texhoma, and Tyrone.

The county's topography, in the High Plains of the Great Plains physiographic region, is generally flat, with some rolling hills. The original vegetation comprised various short grasses, mostly bluestem and gramma. Arable sections are now farmlands, and the remainder generally serves as rangeland for grazing. Numerous playa lakes occur, intermittently holding water. These include, north of Guymon, Wild Horse Lake, the scene of the Hay Meadow Massacre, an infamous, four-victim murder of a Kansas posse in the 1880s. The county is drained by the North Canadian River, often called the Beaver River, and its tributaries, including Coldwater, Hackberry, Goff, Tepee, and Pony creeks. Along these waterways the region's few trees, including cottonwood, hackberry, willow, and elm, occur.

“Our Cherokee Nation Marshals worked throughout the night with many of our partner law enforcement agencies on this search and recovery. We want to find answers for this individual and get them back to their family,” Buhl said.

The Cherokee Nation Marshals dive team recovered the body at the bottom of a 20-foot well on a farm just north of 412 off State Highway 10.
Any update on this situation from ME? Wonder if it’s related? Appears to be on other end of OK.
IMG_1163.jpegIMG_1163.jpeg

Last edited:
Was waiting to hear confirmation of the children being safe. At least we have it now. Where are these women?

The sheriff’s office has turned the investigation over to the OSBI.
“We’re still looking into where and when they were last seen,” McKee said.
McKee said no children are missing.

If I may be a little pedantic for a second, I don't think we can really say we know the children are safe. We only know that they aren't missing. Depending on who they are with (do we have that info confirmed?)...

If I may be a little pedantic for a second, I don't think we can really say we know the children are safe. We only know that they aren't missing. Depending on who they are with (do we have that info confirmed?)...
Nope no confirmation on the children at all. I’d hoped they had been taken by DHS or whatever the agency is called in OK. Just hope the children are safe and secure.

Veronica and Jilian were driving South. Video-man is driving North. Veronica's car is to the right (East); on the passenger side of Video-man. He would see the passenger side of Veronica's car as it was facing the opposite direction (per planned route) of Video-man.

It seems like Veronica and Jilian were directed off Hwy 95 to the side road, where they were ambushed before they arrived at Road L.

View attachment 495671
Did the witness who saw the smashed out window specify that it was a door window? Could it have been the front window or windshield? (I’d expect the witness to say the windshield was smashed out — rather than window — if that were the case, but if I’ve learned anything from following cases on WS it’s that people don’t always say things the way you’d expect.)

If it was the windshield that shattered (or I guess it could have even been the windshield and passenger windows), maybe someone driving toward the women fired at them with a shotgun or hunting rifle. At the very least, it would likely cause the driver to lose control of the car. If they were fired at as they approached the intersection of Road L, maybe the driver lost control of the car and cut that corner onto Road L and finally came to a stop in some brush. (Didn’t I hear something about a bush?)

I’m just spitballing here, as I’m really worried about these two women.

Do you know which of the vertical roads might be the “correction line”? I believe the local that first saw the vehicle referred to a gravel road off of the correction line.

This was a new term to me so I went looking and found this:

Correction Lines are designed to adjust for the curvature of the earth, so roads north of a correction line and roads south of a correction line may not line up. When reading a map, determine if the location or destination is above or below the Correction line.
I hadn’t heard that term before either. So thank you for sharing the meaning.

I'm at the point I'm pretty sure this won't have a happy ending, so I was relieved when I first read this post thinking maybe one of the families could have some closure. After using Google maps, it seems that Keye, OK to Kansas, OK is approximately 7 hours driving time. Not saying that it couldn't be one of the victims, but that's a long ways to travel with a victim. It didn't mention anything about how long they thought body had been in well, but I wonder how the landowner knew to call in that tip? I have hope that LE is finding answers and getting closer to making arrest(s).
I believe the recovered body was a 19 yo male.

Any update on this situation from ME? Wonder if it’s related? Appears to be on other end of OK.
View attachment 495699View attachment 495699
I’m pretty sure it’s Trey Glass

Do we have a motive? I am sorry haven’t had time to read thru all the posts! Any conflict that is known????Inheritance, custody , etc? Thank you for updating me.
Imo, I really do encourage you to read back here in the thread.
. Because all the court cases, that were visible at first, were sealed from public view .Locals who regularly view Oklahoma records, indicated they had never seen cases sealed before. Imo.
And you won't find much from MSm in the news.SO QUIET. Besides a few articles out there, I think you will learn more from all of us here to get the issues, questions, and fear for these two young mothers. It's such a heartbreaking case.

I'm sure the poster meant DCF (state Department of Children & Families), which is called by different names in different jurisdictions. Nobody thinks Homeland Security is involved.
Correct. Thank you. I'm used to using CPS but didn't know what it was called in OK. The legal status of physical custody I believe lies with father (who was previously incarcerated and allegedly presently in rehab in OKC) and the mother has supervised visitation on Saturdays. The legal status of grandmother is unknown so far as I am aware based on documents presently available on the OK website.

Why would DHS take the children from their custodian?
Sorry for confusion. Issue was clarifed below by @imstilla.grandma that the correct agency name in OK is DHS - Department of Human Services. I am used to using CPS (Child Protective Services). Each State has slightly different spin on Agency name for this task.

Did the witness who saw the smashed out window specify that it was a door window? Could it have been the front window or windshield? (I’d expect the witness to say the windshield was smashed out — rather than window — if that were the case, but if I’ve learned anything from following cases on WS it’s that people don’t always say things the way you’d expect.)

If it was the windshield that shattered (or I guess it could have even been the windshield and passenger windows), maybe someone driving toward the women fired at them with a shotgun or hunting rifle. At the very least, it would likely cause the driver to lose control of the car. If they were fired at as they approached the intersection of Road L, maybe the driver lost control of the car and cut that corner onto Road L and finally came to a stop in some brush. (Didn’t I hear something about a bush?)

I’m just spitballing here, as I’m really worried about these two women.
What I recall from the on air interview was that the window referred to was driver side window. Nothing about windshield or passenger side windows or rear door of SUV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member