April 08, 2024 Solar Eclipse

And, this morning, Amazon emails to tell me that the eclipse glasses I ordered & put inn Easter baskets are not approved after all. :eek:

Groovy, Started their refund process, wonder if I really need to drive the little box to Kohl's for the return.

At least my son is 29, and can find approved ones before Mnday.

Mr Laughing admitted that he bought a pair at the grocery store -- already in the top box of a motorcycle.

Sigh.
@Laughing, that certainly stinks, sorry about the glasses. I was just talking to a friend and mentioned I was leery about purchasing glasses ANYWHERE because they might not be up to snuff. Although I'm in MA and not near Totality,lol.

This is a photo I took during totality in SC in 2017, showing what the horizon looked like. It was part of the "360-degree sunset" effect of a total eclipse as described in the Time article linked above. (Not a good photo, just used my phone.)
View attachment 495785
Thanks for sharing this photo taken during totality! It gives me an idea of what it will be like!

Pictures just don't do the experience justice.

Like I said earlier, the thing that I hadn't expected was watching the world go from color to B&W at about 97%, and back to color again as the sun reappeared. I could also see the umbra approaching when it came over the horizon.

Totality view from my deck, hopefully! (EST)

…”While this forecast is still subject to change a bit, cloud trends are our friend right now.
IMPORTANT TIMES TO NOTE: Every city will have a slightly different timeline of the eclipse from beginning to end, but for the Indianapolis metro:
  • 1:50:33 p.m. Partial eclipse begins
  • 3:06:06 p.m. Totality begins
  • 3:07:59 p.m. Maximum eclipse
  • 3:09:43 p.m. Totality ends
  • 4:23:13 p.m. Partial eclipse ends…”

Some will be flying above the clouds in order to see the eclipse. Delta, for example, is offering special eclipse flights over the path of totality. But passengers need to select a seat on the appropriate side of the plane to get the view.

This is a photo I took during totality in SC in 2017, showing what the horizon looked like. It was part of the "360-degree sunset" effect of a total eclipse as described in the Time article linked above. (Not a good photo, just used my phone.)
View attachment 495785

Thanks! The 360 degree sunset effect sounds amazing. Can't wait to see it.

Live links to bookmark​

2024 Total Solar Eclipse: Through the Eyes of NASA​

Watch live with us as a total solar eclipse moves across Mexico, the United States and Canada. Weather permitting, people throughout most of North and Central America, including all of the contiguous United States, will be able to view at least a partial solar eclipse. See views of the eclipse from sites along its path.

——

2024 Total Solar Eclipse: Through the Eyes of NASA (Telescope Feed)​

——

Sounding Rocket Launches​

NASA will launch three sounding rockets for the Atmospheric Perturbations around the Eclipse Path (APEP) mission from NASA's Wallops Flight Facility during the April 8 total solar eclipse.

The launch window for the mission is 2:40 p.m.- 4:05 p.m. EDT. Rockets are scheduled to launch approximately 45 minutes apart. Coverage of the mission will begin 10 minutes before the scheduled launch time.

—-

Ref:

—-

MAP:

A map of the contiguous U.S. shows the path of the 2024 total solar eclipse stretching on a narrow band from Texas to Maine.

—-

Last edited:
Detroit area looks like they'll have clear skies

Still not a lot of traffic in Cleveland highways. Kind of quiet, but its a Sunday night.

We still have bands of blue sky alternating with bands of cirrus clouds
It is absolutely gorgeous right now: Bright sunshine, cerulean blue skies, no clouds in sight. I hope it stays like this for the next several hours as it will be perfect for the eclipse.

It is absolutely gorgeous right now: Bright sunshine, cerulean blue skies, no clouds insight. I hope it stays like this for the next several hours as it will be perfect for the eclipse.
I was just about to post the same thing here where I am in Ohio! Not a cloud in sight! Beautiful blue skies!

3 1/2 hours to go (approximately), here's hoping!

edited countdown

Last edited:
With the rare total solar eclipse to begin starting around 2 p.m. Monday, communities from Monroe to Ohio were gearing up for thousands to descend on their cities, especially those in the path of totality.

Luna Pier in Monroe County, one of only a handful of communities in the eclipse's path in southeast Michigan, planned to have extra police patrols in place just in case. The city's mayor was concerned about how crowds would potentially navigate an I-75 overpass now under construction at Luna Pier Road.

Across Metro Detroit, eclipse-watching gatherings are planned, from Bloomfield Hills to Detroit.

The moon will begin to pass in front of the sun at 1:58 p.m., reaching its maximum at approximately 3:14pm, darkening our skies. Most of southeast Michigan will experience a partial eclipse. Detroit should see 99% totality, meaning the skies will darken and it will look like dusk...

The solar eclipse set to cross North America on Monday, April 8, has humans aflutter with anticipation, but the phenomenon, and even more so the crowds it attracts, could be disorienting and anxiety-inducing for pets.

During solar eclipses, when the sky briefly turns dark, dogs may cower, birds stop flying and grow quiet, and nocturnal creatures emerge.

But the bigger concerns for pets, veterinarians tell TIME, are the anticipated mass gatherings. Millions are expected to travel and attend eclipse viewings that will likely provoke strong emotions in humans, which could unsettle animals...

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissingPersonsMatter
Back