UK - Cody Fisher, 23, non league footballer, stabbed to death on the dance floor, Birmingham nightclub 26 Dec 2022 *arrests*

The media have forced this case into getting coverage by labelling him a "footballer".

Yes and lots of them are reported and followed here.

I think it's pretty newsworthy as it is allegedly an unprovoked attack in a busy nightclub.
I have heard about it alot outside of this forum as well though. Also, I hope you are aware that you can use the quote feature.

Because there are thousands of fatal stabbings each year.

True, and no doubt the rags are using "footballer" just as they might use "cheerleader," "model," "WAG," "reality star" or "local councillor" to boost interest in the case.

But it was a brutal murder committed on a busy dance floor in a nightclub over a perceived slight so small that some present don't even recall clearly.

I think it fits a worrying zeitgeist of "out of the blue act of extreme violence that many of us might have experienced and been unable to prepare for or survive." In that sense, it was bound to garner some wider interest for a while.

True, and no doubt the rags are using "footballer" just as they might use "cheerleader," "model," "WAG," "reality star" or "local councillor" to boost interest in the case.

But it was a brutal murder committed on a busy dance floor in a nightclub over a perceived slight so small that some present don't even recall clearly.

I think it fits a worrying zeitgeist of "out of the blue act of extreme violence that many of us might have experienced and been unable to prepare for or survive." In that sense, it was bound to garner some wider interest for a while.
Cases like this happen on a weekly basis in London and none of them get this much coverage.

The fatal stabbing of a footballer in a Birmingham nightclub was started with a headbutt after a masked group surrounded him, a court has heard.
Cody Fisher died in Crane nightclub on Boxing Day 2022.
At trial at Birmingham Crown Court, three men deny his murder.
In the latest proceedings, Mr Fisher's best friend Daniel Vann told jurors how violence ensued, with Mr Fisher left dying on the floor and his girlfriend screaming at security staff

Two men jailed for life for murdering footballer Cody Fisher​

Remy Gordon and Kami Carpenter given minimum terms of 26 and 25 years at Birmingham crown court for nightclub attack

'You're weak, pathetic cowards': Mother of footballer Cody Fisher who was knifed to death on nightclub dancefloor in Boxing Day 'revenge' attack calls for tougher knife crime sentences after her son's killers are jailed for 25 and 26 years​

Tracey Fisher, the mother of Mr Fisher, speaking outside Birmingham Crown Court today after Remy Gordon and Kami Carpenter were jailed for life

Tracey Fisher, the mother of Mr Fisher, speaking outside Birmingham Crown Court today after Remy Gordon and Kami Carpenter were jailed for life

Paying tribute to her son, Tracey's statement said: 'Since this horrendous day I feel that my own life has ended'

Paying tribute to her son, Tracey's statement said: 'Since this horrendous day I feel that my own life has ended'

Mr Fisher's father Chris Fisher (right) broke down outside court today

Mr Fisher's father Chris Fisher (right) broke down outside court today

A summary of today​

Here's a final recap of what happened in court today:
  • Remy Gordon was sentenced to life in prison for the murder of Cody Fisher and for affray and will serve a minimum of 26 years.
  • Kami Carpenter was sentenced to life in prison and will serve 25 years for murder.
  • Reegan Anderson was sentenced to 18 months for affray, but was released because of the time he has spent in custody while awaiting trial.
  • Judge Paul Farrer KC said Gordon "planned and drove" the attack after Mr Fisher had accidentally bumped into him at a bar two days previously.
  • The judge said Kami Carpenter was responsible for stabbing Mr Fisher in the chest with a six-inch-long knife.
  • Birmingham Crown Court heard how Mr Fisher was also kicked and punched by a group of up to eight masked men, including Gordon and Carpenter.
  • The court heard it was not the first time Gordon had been caught with a knife at a nightclub, while Carpenter had talked of trying to get a huge zombie knife into another pub just hours before the attack

Fatal attack lasted no more than 37 seconds​

Before passing his sentences, Judge Paul Farrer KC described the fatal nightclub attack.

He said it lasted no more than 37 seconds, from the moment Cody Fisher was surrounded by up to eight men and the phone was slapped out of his hand by Kami Carpenter.

Carpenter then headbutted him before the group of masked men threw a series of punches and kicks at their victim, including a blow to the face which fractured the back of his jaw, on both sides.

1712591939859.jpeg
BBCCopyright: BBC

The judge said the attack only ended when Carpenter stabbed Mr Fisher in the chest.

"In short, this was a sustained attack on a man who was significantly outnumbered and stood little or no chance of defending himself," he said.

Just been catching up on the sentencing.

This case was just horrific - the saddest thing for me is that Cody Fisher was essentially a dead man walking if it didn’t happen that night it would have happened I’m sure in the days afterwards.

The BBC has emotional videos from his mum & girlfriend - Two men jailed for footballer's nightclub murder - BBC News

The article also states that a group of masked men surrounded fisher and his friend - have any of these been found and charged as, as far as I know only 3 people were charged in connection to this (the two sentenced for murder and the one sentenced for affray on Cody’s friend)

I think the sentence of 18 months for the man who attacked Cody’s friend is way too lenient -from following the trial I think he only survived as he managed to run away… due to time spent in jail before trial he’s now free for release.

My thoughts go out to Cody’s family, girlfriend and friends - I hope you find the strength to rebuild your lives now as I’m sure that’s what Cody would want.

Just been catching up on the sentencing.

This case was just horrific - the saddest thing for me is that Cody Fisher was essentially a dead man walking if it didn’t happen that night it would have happened I’m sure in the days afterwards.

The BBC has emotional videos from his mum & girlfriend - Two men jailed for footballer's nightclub murder - BBC News

The article also states that a group of masked men surrounded fisher and his friend - have any of these been found and charged as, as far as I know only 3 people were charged in connection to this (the two sentenced for murder and the one sentenced for affray on Cody’s friend)

I think the sentence of 18 months for the man who attacked Cody’s friend is way too lenient -from following the trial I think he only survived as he managed to run away… due to time spent in jail before trial he’s now free for release.

My thoughts go out to Cody’s family, girlfriend and friends - I hope you find the strength to rebuild your lives now as I’m sure that’s what Cody would want.

Good post.

All this because a man "brushed past" another man.

This crew were, IMO, looking to hurt someone, and CF happened to be in the mix.

The Attorney General is considering whether judges should review the sentences of two men who were convicted of murdering a footballer on a nightclub dance floor.
Cody Fisher, 23, was attacked and fatally stabbed by a masked group at the Crane nightclub in Birmingham on 26 December 2022.
Remy Gordon and Kami Carpenter were given life sentences with a minimum of 26 years and 25 years respectively, on 8 April, after being found guilty of Mr Fisher's murder.
However, the BBC has been told the Attorney General's Office (AGO) has received a referral arguing Gordon and Carpenter's sentences were too lenient.
A spokesman for Attorney General Victoria Prentis confirmed the two men's sentences had been referred under the Unduly Lenient Sentence (ULS) scheme and they were under consideration.
Law officers have 28 days from the date of sentencing to carry out a review and weigh up whether to refer the case to the Court of Appeal to decide whether the sentence was appropriate.
This creates a deadline of 6 May.

The Attorney General is considering whether judges should review the sentences of two men who were convicted of murdering a footballer on a nightclub dance floor.
Cody Fisher, 23, was attacked and fatally stabbed by a masked group at the Crane nightclub in Birmingham on 26 December 2022.
Remy Gordon and Kami Carpenter were given life sentences with a minimum of 26 years and 25 years respectively, on 8 April, after being found guilty of Mr Fisher's murder.
However, the BBC has been told the Attorney General's Office (AGO) has received a referral arguing Gordon and Carpenter's sentences were too lenient.
A spokesman for Attorney General Victoria Prentis confirmed the two men's sentences had been referred under the Unduly Lenient Sentence (ULS) scheme and they were under consideration.
Law officers have 28 days from the date of sentencing to carry out a review and weigh up whether to refer the case to the Court of Appeal to decide whether the sentence was appropriate.
This creates a deadline of 6 May.
Nowhere near enough of a sentence IMO. Life without parole - they should never be out of prison again.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hongwuzhiye59
Back