WA - Unidentified Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought middle eastern as well. Persian is a definite possibility

He could be almost anything, really. Probably quite mixed.

He has the look of a certain type from Canada or the northern US along the Canadian border: mixed French, Native, and Anglo-Saxon (often Scots and/or Irish).

He could be almost anything, really. Probably quite mixed.

He has the look of a certain type from Canada or the northern US along the Canadian border: mixed French, Native, and Anglo-Saxon (often Scots and/or Irish).

But the french in Canada are well east of where Lyle was found. Beyond the obvious grouping of French Canadians in Quebec, there are pockets of french-speaking Canadians in Northern Ontario, near Windsor Ontario, and in New Brunswick. I don't believe there are many French Canadians in Western Canada.

As a result, I'm not sure how this relates to Lyle.

But the french in Canada are well east of where Lyle was found. Beyond the obvious grouping of French Canadians in Quebec, there are pockets of french-speaking Canadians in Northern Ontario, near Windsor Ontario, and in New Brunswick. I don't believe there are many French Canadians in Western Canada.

As a result, I'm not sure how this relates to Lyle.

I thought we were speculating on his possible ethnic background. Eastern Canada's a lot closer than Persia/Iraq, though immigration is certainly a possibility.

I thought we were speculating on his possible ethnic background. Eastern Canada's a lot closer than Persia/Iraq, though immigration is certainly a possibility.

Good point.

:blushing:

Someone I met recently and briefly, reminded me of Lyle. He said that he was a Slovakian Jew with family originally from an island off Greece, where, he said all the males looked the same way. fwiw.
Having said that, probably anyone from anywhere can share his features.
Surely his eye-catching looks will be remembered by some young lady, somewhere! imo.
Was he a visiting student, who just could not continue?

There was a wave of immigration from Iran when the Shah's government fell in, um, I think it was the 70's, so it's not impossible. And he does have the look.

1979. I checked. Coincidentally, this item was in the news today: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ples-revolution-against-iran/article19059694/

It appears that quite a few of the Iranian refugees fled to Canada. So this might be something worth looking into.

Agree that it's worth looking into, but let's keep it in perspective that most Iranian immigrants to Canada landed in Ontario, not western Canada.

That means that Lyle can be from anywhere in Canada, or, of course, mid-western or western U.S. I believe there is a large community of Iranians in South and SW Ontario and the Detroit area. I may be wrong in this. This is still a very long way from Washington state.

Regardless of geographic location in North America, let's figure out what Iranian diaspora extremists might care about. Is there something that Lyle, if he was Iranian, would feel guilty or discouraged about? This might provide a motive for suicide.

I'm thinking someday of going around and retracing his steps, to figure out how he got there.

Aberdeen is a toughie though.

Agree that it's worth looking into, but let's keep it in perspective that most Iranian immigrants to Canada landed in Ontario, not western Canada.

That means that Lyle can be from anywhere in Canada, or, of course, mid-western or western U.S. I believe there is a large community of Iranians in South and SW Ontario and the Detroit area. I may be wrong in this. This is still a very long way from Washington state.
<rsbm>

Linked article below (Fig. 6) shows that between 1991 and 2001, 40,000+ Iranians arrived in Canada.

Statscan 2001 census (Fig. 7) shows that of a total 89,000 living in Canada (major Canadian cities), 44% in Toronto and 22% in Vancouver.

http://iranian.com/News/2005/June/IraniansCanada.pdf

May have been discussed before, but the "for the room" note and the word "suicide" (both presumed to have been by Lyle) appear to be two entirely different styles of printing:

http://doenetwork.org/cases/images/233UMWA2_note.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e232/docwho3/lyle/suicd1.jpg

Keyes said to the effect that his first homicide (WA, 2001)would have been viewed as an "accident"? Obviously he wasn't into giving specifics, so it's possible he would delight in furthering the game by lying about suicide vs accident.

Although the book "You Must Remember This" with the Lyle Stevick character has been discussed before, I don't recall seeing this particular reference:

http://www.nytimes.com/books/00/04/02/specials/oates-remember.html

Lyle would not deny it. One night he goes so far as to hang a rope from the basement rafter of his store; he then sips Early Times and stares at the rope's shadow, ''vague as a smudge on the damp stone.''

showImage

This is a HUGE stretch (39 at time of Lyle's death), but I can't help but to notice the similarities in the nose, jaw line and eyebrows.

https://secure.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/missing-disparus/case-dossier.jsf?case=2013000130&id=3

I belong to several Native American groups, and this guy sure looks like one of our Native American brothers. The high cheek bones. The eyebrows that almost meet. The jaw structure. I'd be surprised if he didn't turn out to be NA. He just looks to much like us....

I belong to several Native American groups, and this guy sure looks like one of our Native American brothers. The high cheek bones. The eyebrows that almost meet. The jaw structure. I'd be surprised if he didn't turn out to be NA. He just looks to much like us....

It would be good if they could do an aged composite on Norman Rivet. I can see the similarities you've noted Tulessa (and we have to factor in how he may have aged). I notice Norman's left ear appears very different from Lyle (and ears are a good indicator), BUT it does seem that Norman also has an attached ear lobe.

Am still looking at a possible connection to Israel Keyes, but have to remember that "Lyle" seems to have been the person who checked into the room, therefore the person who chose to use a fake name (unless he was somehow duped into doing so).

I recall coldcaseman saying that the $20 bills left for the room were crisp and there were no banks nearby. Keyes was known to commit bank robberies (but the known ones were 2009 and 2012). Would be interesting to know if there were any bank robberies in WA around the time of Lyle's death.

Did they ever try to check the serial numbers on the money? Even if they can't narrow it down to a particular city they could at least get a general area of where he might have been from. I used to work at a bank and they did record those numbers sometimes and I'm sure the Treasury notes where their money is distruibuted. It wouldn't be a slam dunk since people travel and money can move around but still i think he probably had the money with him from his origin because leaving an account open when you commit suicide and trying not to be identified would arouse suspicions.

Fwiw, When the letters in the name Lyle Stevic are scrambled, they can become the names,
Steve
Yves
Leslie
Clive
Lee
Vic

" Live," one of the " words."

Did they ever try to check the serial numbers on the money? Even if they can't narrow it down to a particular city they could at least get a general area of where he might have been from. I used to work at a bank and they did record those numbers sometimes and I'm sure the Treasury notes where their money is distruibuted. It wouldn't be a slam dunk since people travel and money can move around but still i think he probably had the money with him from his origin because leaving an account open when you commit suicide and trying not to be identified would arouse suspicions.

People move, die, and otherwise depart without their accounts all the time. They forget they have them, or don't bother, or think they're coming back, or whatever. Several times a year our local paper runs a list of a few hundred names of people on the state's abandoned property list reminding them about it. So no, that wouldn't trigger any suspicion. But going through state abandoned property lists might turn up something -- it'd be a lot of digging for probably not a lot of return, but you never know.

I'd be astonished if they didn't try to track the cash. I don't recall seeing it specifically mentioned, but they seem to have checked out every possible lead and tracing money is an obvious LE procedure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa