Legal Q&A Thread for R Hornsby

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Um, I posted a response to a listserve that we were both members of - but if that qualifies as "talking" to the defense, well then, I am a big fat liar and will stand in the corner for 15 minutes.

Can I throw in a little levity here? Hornsby went to bed too early. The boring game's in OT. ;)

HaHaHa

WSers really know how to commit to a thread don't they?? No rest for the weary. My entire sleep / wake clock has been reset by Websleuths. No complaints...just stating fact.

I didn't know that about the LWOP, either.

Enjoyed his theory that Judge Strickland wouldn't impose the death penalty, even if the jury found so.

Amazed by the rumor that Casey was offered eight years.

This has been am amazingly meaty thread.

I think I'm the one who called him pretty. I must own that. I wuz being a smartazz by saying he was prettier than Lyons.

Blaise (Well, he is)

Not to mention we learned how Baez met AL..very interesting. AND..he IS way prettier.

We also learned that when JB got free legal advice from RH he either didn't follow it well or was unable to convince his client and her parents to do so either. At the time he gave it, he probably had no idea of how JB or the Anthonys would use this opportunity to generate revenue through the media to pay for KC's defense. I imagine he would have kept the meter running had he known.

I'm also wondering what he thinks of this rather gray area that circumvents the spirit of the Son of Sam laws.

In your opinion did George's GJ testimony involve anything more than establishing Caylee in Casey's care 6/16?

I wish someone, an ex-prosecutor could post their perspective. That would be interesting to me since I know she's guilty. Fair Play.
I'm not feeling the love, I feel like I'm in Court Procedure 101 and Criminal Law at the same time. lol
I think I'll take JBeans advice and move elsewhere

Bravo, .

And for lack of a better word..."WOW!"

Opinion/insight on SA's decision to have JT on their witness list? Forcing function? Or intention to call?

We've discussed the land mines presented by the (1) delayed timing of his statement, and (b) color commentary nature of his statement, as pro/con to his credibility.

IMHO, he seems very high-risk/high-reward. Risk=easy mark for cross. Reward=placing Caylee in Casey's care away from G&C's and in closer timing to Casey's appearance @ Tony's 6/16 => taking many (not all) plausible accidents off the table.

Would enjoy your take.

You give stupid people way too much credit.

Kind of reminds me of one of my faves:

Grossman's Misquote of R.L. Mencken:

"Complex Problems have simple, easy-to-understand wrong answers"

With all due respect....your response to Horace F. (that attempts to categorize your reply to JB as "just a listserve response") is* IMO short of accurate.* Your exchange with JB* does not quite fully support an "advice only" reply to the defense team.* When your reply (conveniently posted below for your convenience) is reviewed....it appears as much more than just a friendly "defense to defense" bit of forum advice.* It is very succinct, breaks out individual issues by NAME, and offers suggestions for how to handle FUTURE conflicts.* I think this response goes beyond friendly suggestions (that were solicited) and is really more of an outline for "strategy". A casual response would not have offered answers* beyond requested info.* You took your casual legal advice to another level when you anticipated future issues and offered opinion on those "hypotheticals".* You are more than entitled to offer your advice when solicited (I do not begrudge nor do I judge based on those facts), BUT Mr. Hornsby, let's not try to pass off your forum exchange as casual anonymous conversation.* Most of us here are rather bright and can see right past the rhetoric. I enjoy your POV.* But I also value transparency and continuity.
I never once passed it off as casual anonymous conversation, I passed it off as a sarcastic dress down of someone I saw exploiting his client's celebrity on a listserve that I was a member of.

And the case was not even a month old then.

p.s. I also unequivocally state that nobody came back in time and told me to write that reply to save Casey Anthony (i.e. Back to the Future or Terminator).
p.s.s I would hardly say I broke it down by name, I used references like client and grandmother (just to show you how little I knew at the time).

Thank you. Yes that was what I thought as well. It was disingenuous for RH act as if it was just a brief inconsequential encounter, as he goes into detail with the advice, strategy and was very specific. I think JB followed it as well regarding the 'no more jail visits' policy that seems to be in place. I found that response to be misleading if not dishonest.

Sorry folks I'm just not starstruck like many of my fellow posters here appear to be, who seem to go out of their way to complement and massage egos. We're not getting anything unique from RH imo as he isn't even involved with the case, except for advising Baez and attacking BS.
Personally, I'm into self inflicted pain - why else would I be here for you Horace :banghead:

RH, I previously asked about KC’s check fraud case and you mentioned something about this past weekend you were going to post on your blog about it. I read on your blog about Karen Mills, but didn’t see anything about the check fraud case. Could you direct me to it, or just answer a couple questions?
Is usual procedure in Orlando, in a non high profile check fraud case, to bundle the charges, take a plea, require restitution, and then let the person off with probation, when a person has no priors? Or is it normal for the state to throw the book at them, go for max penalties, multiple counts etc?

Thank you. Yes that was what I thought as well. It was disingenuous for RH act as if it was just a brief inconsequential encounter, as he goes into detail with the advice, strategy and was very specific. I think JB followed it as well regarding the 'no more jail visits' policy that seems to be in place. I found that response to be misleading if not dishonest.

Sorry folks I'm just not starstruck like many of my fellow posters here appear to be, who seem to go out of their way to complement and massage egos. We're not getting anything unique from RH imo as he isn't even involved with the case, except for advising Baez and attacking BS.

I am not star struck either, especially since I have no real clue who this man really is....but he has answeard many things that do validate my mindset.
I always did pray that we get a better direct tie to the deed. while all fingers do point to KC, even the maggots/flies did not come back with any DNA because they are a couple of generations away....
Having said all of this while this attorney may not be getting paid now for anything.
I still question WHY his position is so adamantly one sided. Is he doing preliminary work for a reason down the road?
If he has ONLY one position and it seems that he does I do not trust it.
I still appreciate what he offers, it makes me think that the DP was not the right direction to go.

Considering the state has not done anything but watch Baex act like a bumbling fool... no.

God this is the most astute post I've come to yet!!

No offense meant as all posts are great but this one just boiled it all down.

Great thread....can't believe I had family visiting all weekend and missed it! moo

Snipped

I'm late coming into this thread, but I do have to ask..
Planning the disposal of a body (or lack of planning rather) wouldn't necessarily rule out premeditated murder, correct?

Just because the disposal was sloppy and unplanned doesn't mean it wasn't premeditated. In many places, premeditation can happen within seconds, I believe.

I'm curious as to why you connect the two? Anywho, It's been a long day so I hope you get what I'm trying to say. :crazy:

ETA: Just realized I was replying to Wudge's post like 6 pages back, and you guys are on a totally different subject now. It's definitely time for bed.

It's true that people certainly can and do commit premeditated murders without having a well thought out disposal plan or any disposal plan whatsover.

However, in this case the fact is that someone did attempt to dispose of Caylee's body. Moreover, I think we can agree that their disposal method demonstrates a lack of forethought.

Pay attention to the theory the prosecution will eventually offer to the jury -- I suspect it will take place in their final closing argument (rebuttal) to the jury. If the SA comes to claim that Casey had been planning to murder Caylee over the course of days, weeks or months (not a spur of the moment murder), then it is entirely reasonable to believe that Casey had the time to devise a far better disposal plan than simply placing Caylee's body inside bags and laying it on the top of the ground near the house days after the alleged premeditated murder.

As things now stand, the way Caylee's body was allegedly disposed of by Casey and the apparant timing of that disposal -- she drove around with the dead body in her trunk for days -- does not suggest that this disposal was part of a thought out and considered murder plot. Rather, the manner and the timing of the disposal work against the notion that such was the case.

I am not star struck either, especially since I have no real clue who this man really is....but he has answeard many things that do validate my mindset.
I always did pray that we get a better direct tie to the deed. while all fingers do point to KC, even the maggots/flies are did not come back with any DNA because they are a couple of generations away....
Having said all of this while this attorney may not be getting paid now for anything.
I still question WHY his position is so adamantly one sided. Is he doing preliminary work for a reason down the road?
If he has ONLY one position and it seems that he does I do not trust it.
I still appreciate what he offers, it makes me think that the DP was not the right direction to go.

Well, you probably think it is one sided because all of your other discussions to date have been from the complete other side.

Best analogy is when a State Attorney thinks they are being cute and offers the maximum as a "plea bargain" thinking that I will then try to work it out to something favorable to what he realistically is trying to get.

So what do I do, I demand he dismiss the case outright. The way I see it, if he is going to start from a position of unreasonableness I will do the same.

Alert! :eek:fftopic:

Mr. Hornsby, I will say this, when my daughters case is at a point that it can be sealed, I'm going to make sure she contacts you!

On Topic...

So did I understand you correctly? Because of our participation here on WS, we could be struck from the jury?

<and here I was hoping they would move the case to Polk County, Dang>

Well, you probably think it is one sided because all of your other discussions to date have been from the complete other side.

Best analogy is when a State Attorney thinks they are being cute and offers the maximum as a "plea bargain" thinking that I will then try to work it out to something favorable to what he realistically is trying to get.

So what do I do, I demand he dismiss the case outright. The way I see it, if he is going to start from a position of unreasonableness I will do the same.

I totally concur that the DP was not the right direction to go with this case. But there is plenty there to keep her in hotel stay a while for a long period.
So assuming it does get dismissed (Hope not) (I actually hope the "A"s get charged too..With people like that it is no wonder we have a society so depraved) but that's another topic..How about what would be the next step FREEDOM is not an option.(furious)

Mr. Hornsby, The smell of decomposition in the trunk of the car, has been discussed endlessly, and duly noted by George Anthony, and others, as being so distinct in nature. Do you see the court allowing the air sample tests to come in at trial? Although it has never been brought in, in a case before this one, there is always a first.

WHY did you offer free advise to JB and not the state? :waitasec:
I read that you do not think that KC is innocent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Haji62