TN TN - Karen Swift, 44, Dyersburg, 30 Oct 2011 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Otto, the question of Karen leaving the home for meds is merely speculation altho as stated in the video linked above (post #478) LE did ask local business to check their security video's way back on November 4th....

Tho its been requested, I have not yet heard/seen/read anything about video footage being confirmed or released of Karen...

As I asked upthread - doesn't anyone think IF it/security video confirming Karen's last known whereabouts actually existed it'd have been reported or released by now???

Otto, the question of Karen leaving the home for meds is merely speculation altho as stated in the video linked above (post #478) LE did ask local business to check their security video's way back on November 4th....

Tho its been requested, I have not yet heard/seen/read anything about video footage being confirmed or released of Karen...

As I asked upthread - doesn't anyone think IF it/security video confirming Karen's last known whereabouts actually existed it'd have been reported or released by now???

Indeed. There is no video. There is no sighting of Karen. Nobody has reported seeing her at a drug store or anywhere for that matter.

This will not end up well and ex hubby better start looking for someone to care for their two beautiful daughters who have no mommy.

Regarding the question of whether Karen left the home to buy medicine, is that speculation, or is there some evidence suggesting that she did by medicine (surveillance video, receipt, etc.)?

Given that her car is facing towards Harness Road on Millsfield Highway, that her tire (I have read both tire and tires) was flat and that she was a 2-3 minute jog from home, I am more suspicious of her husband. Without evidence that she left the house to shop in the middle of the night, I'm inclined to think that she did not leave the house on her own in the middle of the night. I am very interested in what the husband was doing and comments he made between the time that he was served and the night that Karen disappeared - especially computer activity, outtings and reaction to being served with divorce papers.

BBM

I brought up the theory that she might have gone to get medicine back on the 12th. Along with some other speculation about how the car got parked where it is and possibly knowing what time the cars tires might have gone flat. The computer in the car could/would also tell LE how far the car was driven from the time the tire sensor was activated until how many miles are currently on the car. That could tell them if the car was coming from the house when it was being driven or from a different direction. Obviously if the sensor went off and the car was driven for 2 miles on a low tire the car could not have been coming from the house because it was only a mile or so from the house where it was parked. Funny on NG the car started out being about a mile away then a half a mile and finally I think NG said it was a quarter mile by the end of the show. The vehicle computer could/would also tell LE if the air was let out of the tire where the car was found. That would be pretty telling if that was the case. JMO

Quoting my previous post for reference.

If Karen was going out for what ever reason that early in the morning don't you think someone would have been expecting her?

If she was returning to the Halloween party I would think she would have called someone to see if the party was still in full swing. That person would have come forward and said something like "ya, she called me and she said she would be here in a half hour"

If she was going to meet up with someone I would think she would have had plans for that too. That person would have come forward by now and said "ya, she called me and planned on stopping over but never arrived" or "ya, we had plans for her to take care of her daughter and then stop by my house later but she never showed up"

We know she arrived at the house around 1:30 AM and went to bed with her daughter. For her to get up sometime between 1:30 AM and 6:00 AM when the car was found and not communicate or have plans to meet someone, if she was planning on leaving again would seem strange to me.

As far as we know no one has come forward and said anything to the fact that Karen had plans to leave the house for any reason that early in the morning.

I think her phone records will be a big part of solving this case. Did she call or text anyone that early in the morning? Who just leaves that early in the morning without a plan of going somewhere or meeting someone? Has LE released the time at which the phone shut off? We know the phone pinged or was used near a river when it shut off. The phone shut off from likely being thrown into the river. What time was that? Would the husband have had time to drive from the area at which the phone shut off to where the car was found, walk to the house before the children woke up? If I remember correctly the husband is the one that was said to have found the car at 6:00 AM and the daughter awoke at 6:30 AM. Did the husband wake up the daughter at this time? Did he call anyone at that time he found the car to see if Karen might be with them or was anyone with him to verify this time? Did he seem concerned that the car was parked down the road with a flat tire but Karen was no where to be found? Does the vehicle have GPS that can be examined to possibly tell where the car was driven and at what time?

The only other possibility for leaving that early in the morning unannounced could be she might have gone to get something for her sick daughter such as medicine, but I would think what ever she had purchased would have been found inside the car along with a receipt. Are there any stores open that late at night and do they have surveillance video? I would think a store clerk would have come forward by now and said Karen was at the store in the early morning hours by now if that was the case.

Looking at the Google map in the following link showing where Karen's house is in relationship to where the car was found and the image below pointing out the spot where the car was found it is possible that when Karen left the house and drove on Harness Rd. towards Millsfield Hwy. her tire could have gone flat as she approached the intersection of Millsfield Hwy and Harness Rd. She could have then turned right onto Millsfield Hwy and then did a quick U-turn to park where the car was found in the direction in which she did. So I think it is possible that she could have been leaving the house for the car to be parked where it was found with a flat tire.

Examining the tire it should be easy to tell what caused the flat, whether it was cut, the air was let out or if a nail or some other object was in the tire that would have caused the tire to go flat. If the car has sensors to tell if a tire is low it may be possible to scan the vehicles computer to tell what time the sensor was triggered. Most cars will record a log of all codes or faults a vehicle will experience. This could give us a clue as to what time the tire went flat and the car was parked. If the tire went flat before the phone went dead than that points towards a stranger abduction. If the phone went dead before the tire went flat that would point to the husband being the likely suspect in my book.

http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msid=...ll=36.135379,-89.386193&spn=0.006776,0.009645

1574760-H.jpg

All JMO

On Nancy Grace's Facebook page she says the cops are dragging a river and using sonar right now searching for Karen.

Wondering which river???

Got me back at these maps again:

Unless you go to the very start of the Mississippi in Minnesota, it's all huge! These areas below are route he may have taken...if he did, imo.

From bridge off US 412: http://g.co/maps/hcp2r
Mileage and time: http://g.co/maps/grxbt

From area off US 104: http://g.co/maps/ms8g6
Mileage and time: http://g.co/maps/mrvz4

Could they still (since the 19th) be searching the Obion River?

It appears the Obion River crosses Willie Johnson Road west of the home...maybe someone can tell me if I have that correct? [ETA: NO it does not, i guess what i'm seeing west of the home is merely a trickle...]

Posts roll past quickly here and are forgotten, but I just want to encourage anyone reading to err on the side of safety and go to a shelter.

In my personal experience, although it can take time, your financial life can be rebuilt, over time, but your safety is paramount. As others have said, there are dangerous times and a breakup is one of them. Don't worry about the house or what you deserve or have earned, or anything other than being safe. Shelters will also take your children in. They will help you find a lawyer. They will also get you counseling that can help defuse things with a hotheaded ex. Mine defused when I spent time pointing out to him how much better he was going to be, how able to date and meet new people, and how my financial requests would be modest and in keeping with what I'd contributed to support him through school. Defuse, and slip away.

Read something helpful like Gavin de Becker's The Gift of Fear, and listen to your hinky meter. When you are telling people there will be "big trouble," you need to tell yourself as well.

Whether or not the husband was involved here, please, can we help each other be safer?

Very well put dovebar. These are my feelings as well and I have
thought this way for a long time.
Problem is I don't think very many women are subjected to forums such
as Websleuths. WE here see this over and over again. Obviously
they must not think something horrible would ever happen to them! I wish
more women were better informed in someway.

I've read somewhere here that as soon as the word DIVORCE comes up
get to a shelter. There is just too much of this disregard to women! moo

It appears the Obion River crosses Willie Johnson Road west of the home...maybe someone can tell me if I have that correct?

I don't think Willie Johnson Rd is anywhere near the river. If you follow Harness Rd. west it will come close to the river if you follow Burnt Mill Rd around and take Hwy 78 north.

You can see where the river is on this map linked below and see where the house is located compared to the river. The yellow marker is the Swift house. Zoom in to see the street and road names.

http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msid=...ll=36.130146,-89.422746&spn=0.027106,0.038581

Thanks ... i understand that in order to make sense of why her car is facing towards Harness Road with a flat, we have to assume that she left for some reason and was returning home when she got a flat ... and that she could have been abducted somewhere between her car and her home. The alternative is that her husband moved her car to a location near the home so he wouldn't have too far to walk to return home and that he put the car on the side of the road facing Harness Road because there was a good spot to park the car off the road in that location. It was an oversight for him to have the car facing the turnoff.

Wondering which river???

Got me back at these maps again:

Could they still (since the 19th) be searching the Obion River?

It appears the Obion River crosses Willie Johnson Road west of the home...maybe someone can tell me if I have that correct?

Thanks for the maps ... my guess would be the river off Highway 78.

The name of the river isn't showing up on Google Maps, so I got out my trusty book of TN topo maps. The Obion River runs under Highway 78 not far from Harness Road. Looks rather swampy around there so there might not be that many places with good access.

ETA: On my Topo map there is a fishing symbol there, so there could be a boat ramp. I'm not sure. I haven't checked Google Earth.

Six area rescue squads join in search for evidence in Swift case

more at the link including information on the river search.
http://www.stategazette.com/story/1786419.html

snipped from (nov 20th) link above...

The Obion River and the White's Lake area (off of the Great River Road) were designated as areas of interest by the sheriff's department and some searchers started their morning at those locations. Searchers used boats on both the river and the lake and some were equipped with sonar to detect shapes underwater. Other boats used drag sets, which are a row of large hooks connected to a weighted piece of metal and dragged across the bed of a body of water.

ETA: Photo here with caption "Members of the Lauderdale County Rescue Squad drag a drag set across the bottom of White's Lake off of the Great River Road in western Dyer County during Saturday's search for Karen Swift. Boats used drag sets and sonar in their search for evidence."

I see that GREAT RIVER ROAD meets Hwy 155 west of Dyersburg but before the Mississippi River but where is White's Lake???

White's Lake here

snipped...

Note: The White Lake Refuge is part of the IBA site, Mississippi Alluvial Valley in Tennessee.

Location: On the Obion River, 20 miles west of Dyersburg, Dyer County, Tennessee.
Physiographic Province: PIF 05 (Mississippi Alluvial Valley); BCR 26 (Mississippi Alluvial Valley)

Geographical Coordinates:
White Lake--Lat. 360652N Long. 0893418W
Elevation Range: 259' - 264'
262' White Lake
Size: 2,050 acres
USGS 7.5' quad: Caruthersville SE

Description: The site resides within the major historic drainage from Reelfoot Lake to the Mississippi River.

Thanks ... i understand that in order to make sense of why her car is facing towards Harness Road with a flat, we have to assume that she left for some reason and was returning home when she got a flat ... and that she could have been abducted somewhere between her car and her home. The alternative is that her husband moved her car to a location near the home so he wouldn't have too far to walk to return home and that he put the car on the side of the road facing Harness Road because there was a good spot to park the car off the road in that location. It was an oversight for him to have the car facing the turnoff.

I thought I read somewhere that they believe she was headed into Dyersburg, but turned around and the SUV was facing towards home when found. Let me try to find it.

"The photos show Swift's white 2004 Nissan Murano pointed north on Millsfield Highway on the shoulder of the highway. Investigators believe the vehicle was originally headed south (into Dyersburg), but had a flat tire and the vehicle pulled across the oncoming lane and was parked in the opposite direction."

http://www.stategazette.com/story/1782538.html

Do they have ATVs? House is .4 miles from where car was found. Given that the car was so close, if it was spousal homicide, it doesn't seem like much effort was put into distancing the car from the house, so it could also be that not much effort was put into distancing Karen from the house. He had 2-3 hours max to deal with everything - from a possible attack to removing her from the residence, ensuring that everything looked as it should, getting his head into the right space and moving the vehicle.

swiftpropertymap.jpg

Do they have ATVs? House is .4 miles from where car was found. Given that the car was so close, if it was spousal homicide, it doesn't seem like much effort was put into distancing the car from the house, so it could also be that not much effort was put into distancing Karen from the house. He had 2-3 hours max to deal with everything - from a possible attack to removing her from the residence, ensuring that everything looked as it should, getting his head into the right space and moving the vehicle.

swiftpropertymap.jpg

Not sure if they have ATVs....but, I noticed the words "flood map" which reminded me of their current weather....

Flash Flood Watch

Statement as of 12:40 PM CST on November 21, 2011

... Flash Flood Watch remains in effect through Tuesday
afternoon...

The Flash Flood Watch continues for

* portions of east Arkansas... north Mississippi... southeast
Missouri and west Tennessee... including the following areas...
in east Arkansas... Clay... Craighead... Crittenden... cross...
Greene... Lawrence... Lee... Mississippi... Phillips... Poinsett...
Randolph and St. Francis. In north Mississippi... DeSoto and
Tunica. In southeast Missouri... Dunklin and Pemiscot. In west
Tennessee... Carroll... Chester... Crockett... Decatur... Dyer...
Fayette... Gibson... Hardeman... Hardin... Haywood... Henderson...
Henry... Lake... Lauderdale... Madison... McNairy... Obion...
Shelby... Tipton and Weakley.

http://www.wunderground.com/US/TN/019.html#WAT

Where are you Karen???

More details on White Lake location

http://www.tnwatchablewildlife.org/...on=White_Lake_Refuge&statearea=West_Tennessee

White Lake Refuge
12 miles NW of Dyersville, TN east of highway 181
Dyer County, TN
Site Directions: From Dyersburg, take I-155 west to the intersection of highway 181 (about 12 miles). Exit on 181 and go north about 2 miles to milepost 17 (181 is the Great River Road). Look for a sign directing you east from highway 181 down a gravel road that leads into the refuge.
Lat: 36.1142°N Long: -89.5707°W
Hours: Daylight hours. Not open in winter because this is a refuge for waterfowl.
Seasonality: Year round access is available via the Observation Trail. Refuge roads open all year except 15 November through last day of February.
Landmarks: Milepost 17 on Tennessee Hwy 181.

Checking in & catching up for the latest on Karen...

Here4myfriend: Welcome and my heart goes out to you. I've followed these cases for years now and it affects me deeply although I've never personally known anyone to go missing. I can't even begin to imagine the heartache of having a friend missing. Thoughts & prayers are with you!!

I originally didn't feel like it was the husband this time but I must admit, I'm leaning more & more that way. Nothing else makes any sense to me. However, I am bewildered at how this happens over & over without evidence left behind. This has happened way too many times with no answers yet to be found. HOW are these women being hid so well that they're never found? It's boggling to my brain!!

:seeya:

Nancy Grace covering Karen's disappearance tonight........

Discussing search of the river bed. High-tech side-scan sonar being used.

NG

Bonnie Drucker: massive search of riverbed, dragging riverbed. Must be tips for LE to be searching.

NG asking guest Gary Peterson, Death Scene Investigator, for explanation of dragging riverbed and what side-scan sonar is. He describes equipment used; large net, treble hooks. He suggests they use water certified cadaver dogs to make search easier. NG asking if treble hook has potential for harming body. He explains that it can get snagged, may damage cadaver. He is now describing the use of side-scan sonar.

NG asking Bonnie Drucker, that unless person had boat, wouldn't Karen be closer to riverbed? NG suggesting possibility of body being weighted down, person wading out to middle of river.........

NG

Editor for Dyersburg Gazette, Jason Cannon, on now describing depth of river; several cross-overs (bridges), possibility of someone disposing of body in the middle of the night. NG showing video of river with a bridge crossing it.

Search area is approx. 3 mi. from Karen's home.

commercial break.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member