CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct. 2012 - #24 *GUILTY PLEA*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
http://www.9news.com/news/story.aspx?storyid=357760

Austin Sigg was charged with first-degree murder, kidnapping and sexual assault among other charges. His sentencing is scheduled for Nov. 18 and 19.

Russell Haythorn ‏@RussellHaythorn 10m
MT: @jsteffendp: Austin Sigg changed his plea to guilty against his attorneys' advice. DA said they will ask for some consecutive sentences.

https://twitter.com/RussellHaythorn

bbm

Let us groove on that word, sleuthers!

Thank God the monster pleaded guilty. I'm glad it will save her family from going through the agony of a trial.

R.I.P Sweet Jessica

He'll never be released. No parole board ever will allow him out and that's *if* he gets a sentence of 40 yrs minimum. I believe the judge will sentence him to LWOP or its equivalent. Nothing to worry about in this case. He's toast.

He'll never be released. No parole board ever will allow him out and that's *if* he gets a sentence of 40 yrs minimum. I believe the judge will sentence him to LWOP or its equivalent. Nothing to worry about in this case. He's toast.

How can you be so certain? 40 years is a long time. Long enough for the case to not have the same emotional impact, and long enough for members of a parole board to think he's spent enough time in jail. His lawyers could try to spin it like he was only 17 at the time, now he is 57 years old, a changed man, blah blah blah.

I mean, hypothetically, if a 17-year-old teenager killed a 10-year-old girl in 1973, and he was up for parole now or in the future, could you see him getting parole? 'Cause it doesn't seem that far-fetched to me, sadly.

Just glad he saved Jessica's family and his own family the agony of going through a trial. I highly doubt he'll ever get out. Rest in Peace, sweet Jessica.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...guilty-to-dismembering-10-year-old-girl?lite&

"Austin Reed Sigg, 18, pleaded guilty in Jefferson County District Court two days before he was scheduled to go trial for the slaying of Jessica Ridgeway, district attorney Peter Weir said in a statement."

Good. I hope he rots in there. I'm done thinking about him.

Rest peacefully Jessica. Much love to the family as they continue to find their way without such a beautiful girl among them.

I just heard the news on HLN. I am glad beyond words. I dreaded the thought of her parents having to sit through an ugly trial. His mother will be saved grief also. My wish for Sweet Jessica, fly with the Angels Dear Girl. For him, roast in He!! and burn! With such a horrible murder ( like Jodi A) I dont see them letting him out in 40 years. They will think twice~if he's even alive. :seeya:

How can you be so certain? 40 years is a long time. Long enough for the case to not have the same emotional impact, and long enough for members of a parole board to think he's spent enough time in jail. His lawyers could try to spin it like he was only 17 at the time, now he is 57 years old, a changed man, blah blah blah.

I mean, hypothetically, if a 17-year-old teenager killed a 10-year-old girl in 1973, and he was up for parole now or in the future, could you see him getting parole? 'Cause it doesn't seem that far-fetched to me, sadly.

Some crimes are just so heinous that the chances of the convicted being released even decades later are less than others. Manson family? Still in prison and has been since 1971. Jeffrey MacDonald? Been 35+ yrs. Still in prison. The death rate in prison is higher as well. He could get cancer, be killed by another inmate. A 40 yr prison sentence doesn't concern me and I wouldn't spend one brain cell worrying about it. If he had never been caught that would be 10000% more concerning.

Plus, the judge could decide to run consecutive sentences. It's possible he could be in prison longer than 40 yrs.

It seems to me that he wanted to plead guilty from the moment he and his mom called the police. But the defense attorneys were just working for less charges. I know there had been Sigg's objection to pleading guilty to the sex assault charge earlier, but he did eventually plead guilty to that too.

I have this strong notion he'll not let himself live out the end of this year.

What a horrible horrible case. RIP, Jessica, you'll never be forgotten.

I don't know what the laws are in Colorado, but the likelihood of him being assaulted, or worse, by his fellow inmates may depend on his classification of "Control" -- that is what it is called in NC and there are a couple that would keep him away from the "regular" inmates. Two types are used in NC anyway. He could be given the equivalent of something like:
  1. PROTECTIVE CONTROL - to protect him from inmates, etc.
  2. ADMIN. SEGREGATION - this is usually given due to an infraction done by the prisoner, gang affiliation, attacks on other inmates, etc.

Both statuses are 23 hours/day in a one-man cell and 1 hour every other day, or something similar, for exercise time in a pen, and a shower on the other days. No going to a day room; no going to the cafeteria - lunch is delivered to the cell; no jobs, etc., etc. They may well isolate him initially -- it's fairly common in NC

From your link:

"The charges Sigg pleaded guilty to include first-degree murder, sexual assault and kidnapping. Sigg’s sentencing is scheduled to begin November 18 and could take two days to complete.

Sigg could be sentenced to life in prison for his crimes. However, because he was 17 when he committed murder, he cannot be sentenced to life without parole."

Bringing your post forward as a reminder of the hearing scheduled for this coming Monday, November 18.

7NewsNOW KMGH-TV ‏@7NewsNOW 1h
Remembering Jessica Ridgeway - a girl who loved purple, her family and butterflies: http://ch7ne.ws/HUTDsM pic.twitter.com/DIUsXiSk2p

BZW6BwlCYAALIM1.jpg

Live now. They are in the courtroom, hearing is in progress.

7NEWS Denver Channel ‏@DenverChannel 1m
Sentencing hearing beginning for the Austin Sigg, man who kidnapped & killed Jessica Ridgeway. Watch live: http://ch7ne.ws/14kWyoZ

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Attn2detale
Back