Deceased/Not Found PA - Anna Maciejewska, 43, Chester County, 10 April 2017

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome Under Sea!

:welcome:

A water feature also comes into play with lost individuals. In SAR scenarios, we send searches to check areas where there is running water as lost people find it calming and tend to sit and linger in those spots.

On the flip side, water tends to be a popular suicide option as we seen here in PA in the colder weather when a few of our younger folks seem to take that option and end up in our rivers.

Thanks, GigTu!

All I meant by water is that it is as easy suicide method, easy meaning not requiring planning. If you just run off into the woods without bringing anything with you, it's harder to figure out how to die. This all sounds terribly grim, and I'm kind of cringing while writing it. The truth is that without a body of water, or bringing tools along, it becomes more difficult to make an impulsive suicide plan, and depression doesn't lend itself to creative problem-solving. If you went into the woods with a plan to die, then you've likely brought everything you need, but that's not the impulsive track. That's the methodical, I know I can't go any further and I know what I'm going to do track.

One other thought is that going away to die, especially if you have children in the house, can be a way of trying to spare them finding you. That doesn't mean you want no one to be able to find you. Again, hiding the license plate by backing in wouldn't make a lot of sense to me.
Yeah, this is a morbid conversation, for sure. But it's one worth having out loud since so few are willing to speak about such things.

My own brain feels like a person would fight to survive on water... as a natural, organic response. Her car wasn't near a bridge, so I guess someone could go out deep and then "inhale" under water so then it's too late to correct it even if they tried. That seems absolutely horrific.

I feel if AM took the action of suicide, she would have been found. On the other hand, as far as we know the searches in the area were minute and sloppy. I wish they'd have a full on search in the area around her car so it could finally be ruled out and we could move away from the suicide theory once and for all.

The only way suicide works in the woods where her car was found is if she brought something with her to do it, such as a pocket knife, pills, etc. But even then, would she walk very far from the car? And why hasn't she been found?

I feel if AM took the action of suicide, she would have been found. On the other hand, as far as we know the searches in the area were minute and sloppy. I wish they'd have a full on search in the area around her car so it could finally be ruled out and we could move away from the suicide theory once and for all.

Quote respectfully trimmed.

I have no experience looking for bodies, and I don't have a good sense of how much undeveloped land there is around where her car was found. I do spend a lot of time outdoors and live in a rural area, though, and have a sense of how smell carries, and how animal corpses decay, and what they attract along the way. With spring, you have all the undergrowth greening out, but I have a hard time believing no one would notice the smell of a body left near a trail used regularly. And suicides can't bury themselves. If she was near a trail where people walk dogs, off leash dogs would be likely to be drawn over. But I could easily be off in terms of the temperature when she went missing, or the size of the area near the car/walking trail.

All of which means, yes, I agree with your sense that she likely would have been found, though I also acknowledge my lack of practical experience in these matters.

If her coworkers or friends didn't pick up on any changes in her--cancelling dates, not returning calls, flatter affect, decreased ability to participate in conversations, lack of joy in things that would have made her happy before, etc--she could have simply been high functioning while depressed. Or she could have not been depressed. Or they could have noticed those things because she was suffering from other life stresses.

It seems like there are a list of questions that only her friends and family could answer. Was she open about being clinically depressed/requiring treatment? Did she question whether she might be depressed? Did she begin to avoid people? Did her mood shift? If so, did she give any reasons for it? Was she anxious/worried/afraid about anything? If so, did she give reasons for that? Were they plausible reasons? Was she more angry or sad than usual? Was your gut sense that something was off, even if there was no proof?

Again, the answers to those questions could come back similar for someone who was depressed for biochemical reasons, or for someone in a bad relationship, or for someone uncovering an issue at work or about to lose their job due to cutbacks.

One last thought, following TrackerGd's statement about lost people being soothed by water: if she was sad or depressed, she could have been drawn to places that soothed her, or where she had been happy before. If there was a place in the neighboring woods that felt that way for her, I would feel better knowing someone had searched around it.

Ultimately though, I don't think I'm down with the suicide theory.

Excellent posts UnderSea! I agree with everything you have said.

p
I'm re-reading from the beginning of thread and this was post #27. I understand that the FB page was scrubbed early on. Can anyone paraphrase what sort of things was the hubby posting when he was active on the page?

Mainly was wondering if he posted about what he thought could have happened to Anna. Or any other info he shared.

IIRC, he answered a question about her phone or her purse. Then he went quiet. His mom posted a couple of times as well, saying things along the lines of "Her husband and son miss her too".

Ok I am all caught up. I kept some notes as I read, including a timeline. Here is what I have:

General notes about Anna:
- mother to 4 year old
- married, husband is an actuary
- from Poland, came to US approximately 20 years ago, family lives in Poland
- planned trip to Poland for father's 80th birthday
- medication dependence mentioned in info sheets (possibly for depression per Dateline interview with family)
- condo from pre-marriage had dried mud on the floor (condo used as storage, husband took trash out weekly until mid-April per neighbors)
- passport and phone left at home
- husband communicating with police through attorney

Timeline:
- 3/24 (Friday) last ESL class taught
- 3/26 (Sunday) last seen in public (this is possibly the day coworkers saw her at the restaurant, if it was in fact a week before originally described)
- 3/27 took full week off work (reason unclear)
- 3/27 friends in Poland last spoke to her via Instagram; spoke to parents via phone confirming trip to Poland for father's birthday
- 3/28 spoke to parents via phone
- 3/29 abruptly cancelled planned trip to Poland via text message, citing work emergency (even though off work)
- 3/30 text to father (day of his birthday), unlike her not to call per family
- 4/2 (Sunday) possibly last seen by coworkers (unconfirmed - coworker said they saw her at restaurant with family, however other coworkers think it may have been a week earlier which would make it 3/26)
- 4/3 out "sick" from work entire week - called out sick via text message
- 4/8 mother talked to husband who said to call back on Monday 4/10
- 4/10 husband said she left for work around 9:45am "in a panic"
- 4/11 parents and employer made missing persons reports with police
- 4/12 husband reported missing
- 4/16 photo of her car in parking space (unidentified at that time)
- 5/8 car found near wooded area with walking trails, backed into parking (license plate not visible)
- 5/15 car confirmed found by police

If I have time to go back through for locations, and if it would be ok with the TOS, I will see if I can create a map showing home, work, condo, car location. I know there are a couple maps showing pieces of this but I didn't see one showing all of it. I'm not sure if the approximate home and condo locations are allowed to be shown here though?

As far as my own thinking, right now I am thinking foul play and that she is deceased. If her body was dumped in a wooded area, I think she may not be found until next spring, unfortunately, when all the vegetation is gone and after snow has melted. I am waffling on the dumpster idea - it seems very risky to go to the area where there are a lot of business dumpsters. I wonder about their own trash pickup over the two weeks she was not heard from but not yet reported missing.

Very good summary! I drove by the house one day when the trash bin was out. It is the standard "wheelie bin" that is common here. I think that if the trash haulers hefted one that held a body weighing 140+ pounds it would have seemed very strange and worthy of investigation. Also, putting her in the home bin would be exponentially more risky than using a commercial can a mile or so away.

Very good summary! I drove by the house one day when the trash bin was out. It is the standard "wheelie bin" that is common here. I think that if the trash haulers hefted one that held a body weighing 140+ pounds it would have seemed very strange and worthy of investigation. Also, putting her in the home bin would be exponentially more risky than using a commercial can a mile or so away.

My thoughts were going more gruesome and assuming more than one pickup was involved, but you are right that it would be WAY more risky and also more difficult/ violent/ unlikely, particularly with a child around. Occam's razor says no on that line of thinking (thankfully).

As others have noted there are so many pieces of information we just don't have access to, it makes it really difficult.

I've been following this case for a while now, just waiting on something interesting to happen or something new to come to light.

I really think she was the victim of foul play (with the most likely suspect being the guilty party). I think it happened either 3/28 or 3/29 and the texts were not sent by her. Although I would like to know if anyone in her family tried to call her after any of the texts she sent. And if so, did anyone answer?

Keeping the condo while owning another house doesn't necessarily strike me as terribly odd, but continuing to have enough trash produced each week to warrant trash pickup and taking it out weekly does seem a bit odd. I wonder if there was a history of them living apart for any length of time?

I think the hints at depression might be another way to push suspicion away from the guilty party. She may have been depressed, but not reporting your depressed, missing wife until the day after the boss/out of country parents, especially after "leaving in the panic" two days before, just reeks. Especially since there are no reports of him checking around for her with friends and family.

Her parents and sister placed many calls and no one answered.

I think the "trash" he was taking out each week was the junk that was left there. Probably he was supposed to be cleaning it out so that they could sell the place, but was making little progress. Might have been a bit of a sticking point in their relationship.

As I reflect on this, I feel pretty strongly that she actually disappeared between the conversation with her parents on 3/28 and the text message on 3/29. I wish we had times for those. I don't believe that she sent the text message so I think she was incapacitated by then.

Based on everything I know about her, I don't believe she would have gone without communicating with anyone directly via phone for more than a day.

Without digging into the child, of course, I also have a lot of questions about him (I think it's a boy?) and school attendance, transportation from school those two weeks and other things.

Her parents and sister placed many calls and no one answered.

I think the "trash" he was taking out each week was the junk that was left there. Probably he was supposed to be cleaning it out so that they could sell the place, but was making little progress. Might have been a bit of a sticking point in their relationship.

Was it his condo or hers originally, do you know?

As I reflect on this, I feel pretty strongly that she actually disappeared between the conversation with her parents on 3/28 and the text message on 3/29. I wish we had times for those. I don't believe that she sent the text message so I think she was incapacitated by then.

Based on everything I know about her, I don't believe she would have gone without communicating with anyone directly via phone for more than a day.

Without digging into the child, of course, I also have a lot of questions about him (I think it's a boy?) and school attendance, transportation from school those two weeks and other things.
BBM I 100% believe whatever occurred was building up and erupted some time the night of 3/28.

Did Anna normally work on weekends? Why was 3/26 a working day?

BBM I 100% believe whatever occurred was building up and erupted some time the night of 3/28.

Did Anna normally work on weekends? Why was 3/26 a working day?

It wasn't a working day, it's just the day she was last seen by anyone other than her husband and child. I believe it said somewhere in the thread that coworkers said they happened to see her at a local restaurant, where she was eating with her husband and child. One coworker originally thought it was on Sunday 4/2, but others who were there thought it may have been the previous Sunday which was 3/26.

We know she spoke via phone to family members 3/27 and 3/28, so she was still ok enough to have relatively normal conversations with them then.

If she worked that day, what about the restaurant sighting? Would it still make sense for it to be the same day?
A few thoughts on the timeline and events...

I definitely remember reading somewhere that on 3/26 she had a meeting in a restaurant with a co-worker in Philly. Can someone point me to this information? Who's that co-worker?

The 4/2 sighting then appears to be a completely unrelated event. On 4/2 she was supposedly seen in a Paoli restaurant with her husband and child.

Also, she was supposedly in the office in West Chester on 3/26, which was a Sunday -- who saw her in the office? Is it a confirmed fact that she was there?

Finally, West Chester to Philly is about 30 miles. If she really had an urgent project and had to go to the office on Sunday, 3/26, does it make sense to go all the way to Philly to have lunch or dinner with a co-worker?

Also want to add regarding the timeline: on the finding Anna FB, her friends from Poland wrote a note stating their last contact with her was on March 29th via Instagram.

Also want to add regarding the timeline: on the finding Anna FB, her friends from Poland wrote a note stating their last contact with her was on March 29th via Instagram.

Is her Instagram public?

Does anyone have a link?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw that but I thought it was the 27th. Will go back through FB today to check the dates.

I don't remember anything about a meeting in Philadelphia. She logged in to her work computer on 3/26.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1