Netflix to stream new documentary on Steven Avery

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Brendan trial transcript day 3.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mrlpwg8i7ijgl40/dassey_4_18_07.pdf?dl=0

The blood on the dash near the ignition is exhibit 157 - It is from the car (which is A8) This is on page 45 of the link.

EDITED.
143 IS a picture
157 is A8 the dash
158 is A9 cut from the seat
156 is A7 on the floor by the console

Yes, but do we have any dates and times for when the photos were taken?

I can't use dropbox because I've had to disable javacript to use this site (very elderly iPad).

Thanks for looking, btw.

Yes, but do we have any dates and times for when the photos were taken?

I can't use dropbox because I've had to disable javacript to use this site (very elderly iPad).

Thanks for looking, btw.

The 2 pictures so far 143 and 160 look like they were taken at the state crime lab. I will make a note of when I see that listed for sure. The DNA tester Sherry Culhane states she collected the samples from the car on Nov 7th ,but did not clarify so far as I have read on when the hood latch was swabbed to be tested. Maybe that answer is on the cross. It is exhibit 94. I have not seen if it has an A number with it but it should as it is a car item ,but maybe it needs a different number if it wasn't logged the same day?

edit she label it ID instead of an A number.

Turns out on cross she wasnt even the one who collect the hood latch swabs ,I am going reread but I think she lied.

Nope she didnt.

The only photos they had of the car were the ones Mrs Sturm took.

Reading Brendan's trial transcripts - the guy who examined the car and recommended it be covered was Ertl. On Day 2, page 142 & 143, he says the first thing he did was direct his photographer, Mr. Guang Zhang, to photograph the vehicle as it was when they arrived. Prior to his arrival, the car was covered with a tarp for some period of time, but that didn't stop some rain from coming into contact with the outside. The tarp was removed prior to Ertl's arrival. The only difference is that some debris from the top of the Rav4 came off when they removed the tarp.

So there were other pictures, close in time and close to the original condition of the vehicle.

Edited to add his name is: THE WITNESS: My name is John Ertl,19 J-o-h-n E-r-t-1.

If and only if that story is true, and it could be proven that the German guy is the actual killer, then not only once but TWICE, the LE department in that county ignored significant evidence.

This would be easy to prove. They found 8 prints in the vehicle, is it possible to run them through the database, and see if it matches with this guys prints in the system? Test the yellow panties and any other evidence the wife has for Teresa's DNA on it.

JMO

You have no problem with excluding the following information that was brought up in trial or otherwise documented in other legal documents filed with the court or from previous convictions and arrests of Steven Avery? I do not understand how you can be okay that. Even if the evidence wasn't allowed in court it's still in all the legal paperwork filed for the case. You don't know what Brendan thinks because no one asked him!

Used in court
1. In the criminal complaint, Brendan's mother noted that brendan had bleach on his pants and that he told her that he was helping clean Avery's garage floor. "On February 27, 2006, your complainant spoke with [Brendan's mother] Barb Janda. Barb Janda stated on October 31, 2005, when Brendan Dassey returned from Steven Avery's residence, Dassey had bleach stains on his jeans. Barb Janda asked Dassey what happened to his jeans, he told her that his jeans were bleached while he was helping Steven Avery clean his garage floor with bleach. On March 1, 2006, Investigator Wiegert recovered the jeans worn by Dassey on October 31, 2005. Investigator Wiegert noted that the jeans contained bleach spots and other stains."

Used in court
2. Avery bought shackles and handcuffs just weeks before, and his sister was with him. [They were found in the burn barrel]. So far I can't confirm this part. 2 pair of handcuffs and 2 pair of fur-lined leg irons were collected from Barb's bedroom; one pair of handcuffs and one set of leg irons from SA's place. Neither had any TH DNA on them.

Used in court
3. Avery used a different name when requesting Halbach for taking photos. He called her phone several times that day using *67 to hide his phone number.

Was not allowed in court. Testimony was from TH coworker.
4. Halbach noted she was uncomfortable in going to Avery's place because he has answered the door in only a towel before.

5. In addition to Steven previous convictions, both his brothers Chuck and Earl had been convicted of previous sexual assault which is why the locals felt this way about the family. It was not just based on gossip. Of course, this has no bearing on his guilt in this case, but it explains the overall distrust and dislike of the family.

Used in court
6. Susan Brandt, who worked an internship as a counselor at Mishicot middle and high schools in early 2006... Brandt said Kayla Avery told her and a Mishicot counselor in January 2006 that 'she was scared because her uncle Steven Avery had asked one of her cousins to help move a body.' The girl didn't specify which of her cousins allegedly helped Avery, Brandt said, and she was scared but not 'confused.'"

7. This earlier interview with Brendan, with a completely different and more plausible scenario was not addressed in the documentary
https://youtu.be/drwb15E_taM

Used in court
8. Rav 4 battery had been disconnected and Avery's non blood DNA was found on the hood latch.

The transcript of the phone call was used in court because Bredan tells his mother he committed the crime during the course of the investigation. Is this the call that his attorney's investigator, Mike O'Kelley urged him to make that call after that horrendous video taped coercion to confess more and draw everything out? The one where Brendan didn't know how to spell Teresa!? Isn't this also the one that was prematurely turned off in court before it finished and left out the end of that tape where Brendan says, "they got into his head." ???
9. Brendan claims Avery sexual molested him and other children while speaking to his mother.

Previous arrest information. The documentary never mentioned any domestic issues with Jodi.
10. The documentary painted the relationship between Steven and Jodi as a rosy, trouble free relationship. They failed to disclose Avery was arrested for violating a disorderly conduct ordinance after a domestic incident with Jodi. The court ordered him to stay away from the woman for 72 hours and pay a fine of $243. I recall in the documentary that there was an order for them to stay away from each other. Anyone else recall that? I don't think it was necessarily painted as "nosy."

Used in court. They may have been filed, but I haven't found where they were actually used in court as evidence. I'll keep looking - if you have a court doc link to the motions?
11. According to a prison informant, Avery drew a torture chamber while in prison and according to statements made by other victims, Avery was violent to other women
According to an Appleton Post Crescent article from March 9, 2006, "While he was in prison, Steven Avery planned the torture and killing of a young woman, new documents released Wednesday indicate. The allegations are included in 22 pages of court documents accompanying additional charges filed by Calumet County Dist. Atty. Ken Kratz. ... Kratz also included in Wednesday's filings statements from prisoners who served time with Avery at Green Bay Correctional Institution. They said Avery talked about and showed them diagrams of a torture chamber he planned to build when he was released." On March 8, 2006, Kratz added the 3 additional charges of sexual assault with a deadly weapon, false imprisonment, and kidnapping. http://www.postcrescent.com/story/news/2015/12/22/steven-avery-case-timeline/77742664/

Furthermore, reported the newspaper, "The filings also include statements from a woman, now 41, who said she was raped by Avery, who told her ‘if she yelled or screamed there was going to be trouble.’ There also is an affidavit from a girl who said she was raped by Avery. ‘The victim's mother indicated that the victim does not want to speak about the sexual assault between her and Steven Avery because Steven Avery told her if she 'told anyone about their activities together he would kill her family,'" the filing said. According to the newspaper article, "The affidavit said Avery admitted to his fiancee that he had sexually assaulted the girl. Jan. 29, 2007: As part of a pretrial ruling, Manitowoc County Circuit Judge Patrick Willis dismisses two of the criminal charges against Avery, first-degree sexual assault and kidnapping. http://www.postcrescent.com/story/news/2015/12/22/steven-avery-case-timeline/77742664/
I find it highly unlikely the sexual assault, torture evidence etc. was admitted because the sexual assault charge was dropped.

Red Bold By Me - I'm unsure if these are true. If you have a source, you should include it because this is how the rumors and innuendo get passed around.

I am in the lengthy process of going through Brendan's trial transcripts (SA's are not available right now) to see what is real and what is not that's being discussed. I'm only about halfway through the transcripts. With that - I'd appreciate if you could clear up some of these.

Thanks.

Once again, I don't claim to think any of it is valid. I'm only concerned it was left out of the documentary. People are extremely worked up over the documentary but it clearly left out some very important pieces the jury had to consider and I'm sure there's more. I thought I made it pretty clear the first time I posted all the information I felt Brendan was innocent. I felt Steven Avery might have some sort of involvement or possibly none at all. Ultimately I feel retrials are a no brainier, but I still think the documentary left out information they should not have.

Why would you be upset that something untrue is left out? Like handcuffs and leg irons in the burn barrel?

I think it's more astonishing that the jury didn't hear some of what you think should have been included, and convicted him anyway!!!

From a juror's perspective, the evidence presented was pretty accurate. I think most of us try to put ourselves in their shoes and ask, "what would I have done?"

In Brendan's trial they introduced the jeans, the bleach stains were small, they SPRAYED LUMINOL IN THE GARAGE and found only one area of smear, everything else were 1 to 1.5 inch spots. But nothing tested positive for blood.

Sorry if this has already been addressed? But what was prosecution's answer to or cross-examination/rebuttal explanation for why the one officer seemingly called into dispatch and ran her plate before she or the car was reported missing? Of course that was also left out of documentary.....

From Brendan Dassey Transcripts / Day 4 / pages 6 & 7

Nowhere can I find where the Bill of Sale was filled out. Seems like these transactions happened exactly as SA said his did on that day.

"These are called trial stipulations.
The first is as follows:

Steven Schmitz a citizen living in New Holstein, Wisconsin, a community approximately 30 miles west of Manitowoc, uh, Wisconsin.

JoEllen Zipperer is a citizen living in rural Manitowoc County, Wisconsin.

That if called to testify, Steven Schmitz would testify that on October 31, 2005, Teresa Halbach came to the Schmitz property to take a photo of a vehicle for AutoTrader Magazine.

Schmitz would indicate that Halbach was at his residence at approximately 1:30 p.m. Was there for approximately ten minutes. Was wearing a white shirt, waist -- waist-length jacket, and blue jeans.

Schmitz would state that before leaving, Halbach provided Schmitz with the latest AutoTrader Magazine and a bill of sale. Left his property and drove away in her SUV.

That if called to tref -- testify, JoEllen Zipperer would testify that on October 31, 2005, Teresa Halbach came to the Zipperer property to take a photo of a vehicle for AutoTrader Magazine.

Zipperer would indicate that Halbach was at her residence between approximately 2 to 2:30 p.m. Was there for approximately ten minutes. Was wearing a white top, waist-length jacket, and blue jeans.

Zipperer would state that before leaving, Halbach provided her with the latest AutoTrader-Magazine and a bill of sale. Left her property and drove away in her SUV.

Zipperer would finally state that Avery Salvage Yard is no more than a ten-minute drive from her residence in Manitowoc County."

Reading Brendan's trial transcripts - the guy who examined the car and recommended it be covered was Ertl. On Day 2, page 142 & 143, he says the first thing he did was direct his photographer, Mr. Guang Zhang, to photograph the vehicle as it was when they arrived. Prior to his arrival, the car was covered with a tarp for some period of time, but that didn't stop some rain from coming into contact with the outside. The tarp was removed prior to Ertl's arrival. The only difference is that some debris from the top of the Rav4 came off when they removed the tarp.

So there were other pictures, close in time and close to the original condition of the vehicle.

Edited to add his name is: THE WITNESS: My name is John Ertl,19 J-o-h-n E-r-t-1.

Thank you for clarifying.

Interestingly, it was the ConvolutedBrian blog that I read that the only photos taken were by Mrs Sturm...and he was following the Avery trial as it was happening, not the Dassey one.

(He elaborated by talking about how they didn't photograph the inside on site because the car was locked and there were tinted windows. He took his own photos of a similar car with tinted windows to show that the flash cancelled out the tint and you could clearly see the inside)

He could just be wrong, of course...but it makes me wonder if there was yet another discrepancy between the evidence in the cases.

I really, really hope the trial transcripts go online soon.

Well here's something shocking and absurd! Bobby and Scott didn't even testify in Brendan's trial. The attorneys stipulated to what their testimony would be on the record! I'm sort of dumbfounded. Brendan's attorneys waived a chance to cross exam them!

Brendan Dassey / Day 4 pages 8 & 9:

“THE COURT: The second trial stipulation is
as follows:

Number one. On October 31, 2005, Bobby Dassey was the son of Barb Janda and brother of the defendant, Brendan Dassey. Bobby Dassey lived in the same residence with Barb Janda and Brendan Dassey at the time.

Number two. That if called to testify, Bobby Dassey would state that between 2:30 and 2:45 p.m. on October 31, 2005, he was inside the Janda/Dassey residence where he observed a blue, slash, green Toyota RAV 4 stop outside the residence in close proximity to a maroon van that his mother, Barb Janda, had for sale.

Bobby Dassey would state that he observed a young woman, that he later came to identify as Teresa Halbach, exit her vehicle, take some photos of the maroon van, and walk toward the trailer of Steven Avery.

Bobby Dassey would further state that, after taking a shower, he left the residence at approximately 3:00p.m. to go deer hunting, at which time he still observed the RAV 4 parked outside his residence, but that Teresa Halbach was not observed.

Bobby Dassey would state that he returned to the residence at approximately 5:00p.m., and he no longer observed the RAV 4.

That completes the second of the stipulations.”

And third stipulation...

“THE COURT: The third stipulation is as
follows:

Number one. On October 31, 2005, Scott Tadych was the boyfriend of Barb Janda. Knew the defendant, Brendan Dassey, Steve Avery, and other family members living at the Avery salvage
property.

Number two. That if called to testify, Scott Tadych would testify that between 7:30 and 7:45 p.m. on October 31, 2005, he was at the Janda, slash, Dassey property where he dropped off Barb Janda.

Tadych would testify that he observed a large fire in the burn area behind the detached garage of Steven Avery. Tadych would further indicate that, at the time, he observed Brendan Dassey and Steven
Avery standing next to the fire.”

I have been puzzling over the Bill of Sale.

Because I am a bit dim, I actually thought this was a receipt for the money Steven handed over. I couldn't figure out why it wasn't filled in.

But it's not a receipt, is it.....it's a form for the seller of the car to use when they sell the car.

So it would, of course, be blank.

Doh!

The previous customers that day said the same thing.....Teresa took the photos, collected the money, handed over a magazine & bill of sale then left. Exactly what Steve said happened when she was at his.

For Steven to even have those the business between them must have concluded as normal. This doesn't mean that he didn't then launch a murderous attack, of course, but I genuinely cannot see how the magazine & bill of sale still managed to end up neatly - with no blood or suspicious splashes - on his desk and being used as a coffee mat.

I know it looks like a small detail, but I think it goes a long, long way to demonstrating his innocence.

And by the way....if Steven had lured her there with subterfuge why was it his trailer she headed to when she'd finished taking photos? Did Steven give his own address...rubbish subterfuge then. Did he give Barb's? Then why didn’t she go to that trailer?

I think Bobby is lying.

He never saw her heading to Steve's trailer. He saw her driving out and was following in his own car.

If Steven is telling the truth (and I am certain that he is) then Bobby's car left within seconds of Teresa's. This does not fit with his testimony at all. And if he is innocent, he has no reason to lie.

Well here's something shocking and absurd! Bobby and Scott didn't even testify in Brendan's trial. The attorneys stipulated to what their testimony would be on the record! I'm sort of dumbfounded. Brendan's attorneys waived a chance to cross exam them!

Brendan Dassey / Day 4 pages 8 & 9:

“THE COURT: The second trial stipulation is
as follows:

Number one. On October 31, 2005, Bobby Dassey was the son of Barb Janda and brother of the defendant, Brendan Dassey. Bobby Dassey lived in the same residence with Barb Janda and Brendan Dassey at the time.

Number two. That if called to testify, Bobby Dassey would state that between 2:30 and 2:45 p.m. on October 31, 2005, he was inside the Janda/Dassey residence where he observed a blue, slash, green Toyota RAV 4 stop outside the residence in close proximity to a maroon van that his mother, Barb Janda, had for sale.

Bobby Dassey would state that he observed a young woman, that he later came to identify as Teresa Halbach, exit her vehicle, take some photos of the maroon van, and walk toward the trailer of Steven Avery.

Bobby Dassey would further state that, after taking a shower, he left the residence at approximately 3:00p.m. to go deer hunting, at which time he still observed the RAV 4 parked outside his residence, but that Teresa Halbach was not observed.

Bobby Dassey would state that he returned to the residence at approximately 5:00p.m., and he no longer observed the RAV 4.

That completes the second of the stipulations.”

And third stipulation...

“THE COURT: The third stipulation is as
follows:

Number one. On October 31, 2005, Scott Tadych was the boyfriend of Barb Janda. Knew the defendant, Brendan Dassey, Steve Avery, and other family members living at the Avery salvage
property.

Number two. That if called to testify, Scott Tadych would testify that between 7:30 and 7:45 p.m. on October 31, 2005, he was at the Janda, slash, Dassey property where he dropped off Barb Janda.

Tadych would testify that he observed a large fire in the burn area behind the detached garage of Steven Avery. Tadych would further indicate that, at the time, he observed Brendan Dassey and Steven
Avery standing next to the fire.”

So, Bobby Dassey said he saw Teresa get out of the car, take her photos and then walk towards Steven's trailer. You can't see all that with a quick glance out of the window. Why did he stand there watching her like that?

Interesting that at Steven's trial, Tadych said he saw Steven by the fire. At Brendan's he was willing to say he saw Brendan AND Steven. If Brendan is telling the truth (and I think he is) then Tadych is lying. Brendan didn't go out to the fire until 9pm.

Couple this with Tadych apparently trying to sell a rifle belonging to Bobby at work the next day AND telling people that the kids had blood on their clothes that got mixed up with his in the washing machine and, well, there is only one real solution here that I can see.

If it wasn't Steven and Brendan then there's only two other people it could have been, IMO.

Steven Avery's DNA being found under the hood is significant. Phone records are significant. Two other women claiming he raped them is significant. Come on! They didn't leave it out because it was insignificant!

I'd like to see SA's phone records, personally. It would either prove or disprove that he deleted voicemails from himself.

Sorry if this has already been addressed? But what was prosecution's answer to or cross-examination/rebuttal explanation for why the one officer seemingly called into dispatch and ran her plate before she or the car was reported missing? Of course that was also left out of documentary.....

Oh it was there, briefly. When Colborn was on the stand and he just kind of shrugged it off like "oh well". He even said ON THE STAND that the dispatch must've told him what kind of car it was right after the courtroom listened to the call to dispatch where HE asked if it was a 99 Toyota. He has no qualms just blatantly lying and pretending to be a dummy.

In the name of Justice and fairness to SA and BD, the documentary SHOULD have had a slight bias in their direction. Their trials certainly had quite the bias against them.

The documentary wasn't about telling the story of the trials. The documentary was about bringing to light governmental corruption and a gross injustice of monumental proportions.

You make a great point. The docu is entertainment. The filmmakers are not bound by any law or moral or ethical obligation to provide ALL the evidence in the way that the courts were supposed to. If this docu brings enough attention to get these two men new trials, it will have been enough. I am very on the fence. I do not believe he's innocent and I do not believe he's guilty. I am fairly certain that Brendan is innocent though. So , definitely 12 smarter people than me should look at it all again. Let's pray if they get a new trial, EVERYTHING the jury needs to hear is presented .

Steven Avery's DNA being found under the hood is significant. Phone records are significant. Two other women claiming he raped them is significant. Come on! They didn't leave it out because it was insignificant!

I heard about the two women claiming he raped them. Was that an accusation only or were there charges brought up ? I thought some pages back, it was stated he was charged with those ? If so, what was the outcome ? Also, was that allowed in the Teresa trial about the two other women? TIA

What I keep falling back on are two statements made, one by Brendan and one by Scott Tadych.

Brendan has said more than once that he "knows" his uncle is "innocent". Not "I don't know if my uncle did this" but "I know he's innocent."

Directly following the verdict, Scott Tadych said it was "the best thing that could have ever happened."

Just a little feeling but what if Brendan knew SA didn't do this because he knew his step-dad and brother did? Eh, just a thought, subject to change ;) I swear I change my mind daily as to who murdered Teresa!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper