FL - Somer Thompson, 7, Orange Park, 19 Oct 2009 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
While this could happen anywhere and does happen in many states, what is it about Florida?
I do not understand. Does this state, in particular, attract child molesters and killers?

This just breaks my heart. I pray for this precious child and her family.

About the laws not applying to those who offended before it was in place.....it's that way for all crimes. At least that I'm aware of. For example, if you committed a crime 20 years ago when the max punishment was 1 year in prison, but you aren't tried for it until this year, you can't get more than 1 year in prison. I'm not trying to stick up for the law or anything, because I would never stick up for anything that protects any sex offenders, but it's not uncommon for something like that to be on the books.

Sheriff to Suspect: 'We are Coming to Get Him.'

Yes! I like this headline a lot.........

Experts say searching a landfill for criminal evidence can be difficult because there’s so much risk of contamination.
Ross Gardner, a national forensics expert based in Oklahoma, said it’s usually easy to know where to start looking, because most landfills are strictly organized into cells by location and date.
If it’s not well-organized, then “it’s kind of poke and hope,” said Gardner, a former Army crime-scene investigator and chief of police in Lake City, Ga.
But even at an organized site, landfill searches are a huge challenge. Almost as soon as debris is spread atop the dump, it’s compacted by steel-wheeled rollers. By the end of the first day, it will usually be covered with soil to control odors.
“Even in a fresh situation like they were dealing with [in the Somer case], unless you’re so lucky that the body just pops out on top, you’re going to have to do some excavation,” said Paul Laska, a forensic consultant in Palm City. As a crime-scene investigator, he spent a month in 1993 excavating a Martin County landfill looking for a little girl’s body.
That can mean bringing in cadaver dogs trained to sniff for human remains to help narrow the search.
Once crews find debris from the right day and hauler, the search can become more like an archaeological excavation, he said, with material sifted delicately, despite the damage already done by daily landfill operations.
It can be difficult to recognize meaningful evidence in a small mountain of twisted refuse and decay.
“You’ve got broken glass, broken metal, a lot of just nasty stuff in there,” Laska said. “You’re going to find bones, because that’s a garbage dump.”
If a body is discovered, it can be difficult to preserve DNA evidence — even if investigators move slowly and carefully. Most of the evidence can be contaminated before search crews even arrive.
Though evidence of sexual abuse inside the body may be preserved, Gardner said anything on the exterior of the body might not hold up as evidence because so much trash gets mixed together. Debris surrounding the body could be connected to the case, such as a glove or a piece of clothing, but that can be very hard to prove.

http://jacksonville.com/news/2009-1...ifting_through_landfills_is_tough_experts_say

Yes! I like this headline a lot.........

Reminds me of Sheriff Beery who said "we will find Caylee" and they did!

Go Sheriff, GO! Our prayers are with you as you track this perp(s) down!

Salem

after doing my own search of rso's I have found 8 of them listed as predators in this town! Not to mention the 90 or so more that are just your garden variety sex offender. Walking home from school in this area is like swimming in a small fish bowl with a fleet of sharks and a trickle of blood to attract them! It is absolutely insane!

I don't feel they as RSO or SO deserve rights.. That is gone when you violate someones private body.. I live in a remote area.. for 20 miles there are 4 towns that have just a gas station.. thats how small the towns are. houses are not close together on this mountain.. but I did a search of RSO's and that highway for 20 miles is loaded with them. and that is the ones who have gotten caught.. Ok say I go to someones house that is selling corn and tomatoes out of their garden in front yard.. well who is to know they are a RSO?? I feel all RSO should have to put something visible in the yard or on house to let ppl know.. An elderly lady here was raped.. What do these evil disgusting RSo's see in children and elderly ppl.???

ok sorry for rant.. Bless everyone and bless those little babies...

I think LE is going to keep everything very close to the vest until an arrest is made. I suspect that dogs alerted to a dumpster, but they don't want the public to know a lot until they investigate. JMOO

Yes I think so.

First let me apologize for not reading through all the posts prior to my posting, I typically like to read up on everything before I post (which consequently I very rarely post).....

anyways, I just wanted to make comment on SP. I don't know who is involved in this poor child's murder, but like other posters I refuse to immediately jump the gun based on the fact that he sent the siblings out to look for her, or the fact that he might have not attended vigils or what with the mother (not sure if he attended or not). Regardless, my two cents worth is that he is JUST a boyfriend, and although he is living with the mother and the children that should not be taken as he readily accepted a father position in their life. Not saying he didn't care for the kids, but I know many single mothers who have men in their lives, but not necessarily all about the kids.......in addition with regards to him possibly not being at vigils, he might have opted to step out of the light and let this mother, father and grandmother grieve as parents should. together and united. He might have just felt very out of place in regards to all that especially if he hasn't been involved with the mother that long.

I'd love to know when he moved in, not just when they started dating, because he might have been dating around prior to being committed to the mom and moving in with her.

Again, all my opinions and they are subject to change, but I just don't think the few *odd* things SP may have done warrant people pointing fingers.........

On the other hand, should LE decide that SP warrants a finger pointing I will stand behind them whole-heartedly.

*sorry for the long post, back to my lurking now*

Actually there are two even closer than that according to the Florida LE site.
One lives right behind Somer's house. Here is his profile: http://offender.fdle.state.fl.us/offender/flyer.do?personId=59511

It's been known since almost day 1 of the multitudes of SO's in that area. What struck me about this particular one was the proximity of exactly where Somer was last seen (corner of Debarry & Gano) to where this was located. As another poster said, it appears to only be about a backyard away

IMO, for someone to disappear so quickly, and quietly, with no real clues (that we know of), it would have to have been someone familiar with the area. From the map I posted, this is way to close for comfort.

I use to live in that area, and those are the same streets I frequented for many years. I'm taking this pretty bad and cannot imagine how the family/friends are doing right now :(

I now remember exactly why I left when I had my first child :furious:

Everything we post here goes out into cyber-world forever. The innocent never get a chance to defend themselves from the cyber-world, nor can they ever get the words people are writing about them removed. In some cases, they can always contact the owner of websites and ask them to remove it, but in the meantime stuff goes out there and people get hurt.

With all due respect why now :confused:

One simple thing that parents could do is check the SO database for these creeps in your neighborhood. If your child has to walk past a house of a SO....then change the route, arrange for transportation,.....SOMETHING! Kids shouldn't be expected to or required to protect themselves from a SO!!

Quote:
The Clay County sheriff had a message for the person responsible for the death of the young girl pulled from a landfill Wednesday afternoon:
"I don't want to tell that suspect what we are doing. I will tell him this: We are coming to get him."

I think I'm in love with this man.

GET EM, SHERIFF!!!

Quote:
The Clay County sheriff had a message for the person responsible for the death of the young girl pulled from a landfill Wednesday afternoon:
"I don't want to tell that suspect what we are doing. I will tell him this: We are coming to get him."

I think I'm in love with this man.

GET EM, SHERIFF!!!

Absolutely! This is the kind of talk we need in these cases!

Hang 'em high.......

It's been known since almost day 1 of the multitudes of SO's in that area. What struck me about this particular one was the proximity of exactly where Somer was last seen (corner of Debarry & Gano) to where this was located. As another poster said, it appears to only be about a backyard away

IMO, for someone to disappear so quickly, and quietly, with no real clues (that we know of), it would have to have been someone familiar with the area. From the map I posted, this is way to close for comfort.

I use to live in that area, and those are the same streets I frequented for many years. I'm taking this pretty bad and cannot imagine how the family/friends are doing right now :(

I now remember exactly why I left when I had my first child :furious:

ahh curious mom bless you.. you did right. you had the right instincts.

thank you so much for doing that map on the first RSO.... I feel stronger on that one.. the cross guard said she didn't make it to second one.. and dog lost scent at that corner also.. so I don't feel she made it any farther towards home..

Somer is with the Angels now and getting those hugs she loves..

Jeez. The Florida Courts require you to purchase a copy of the records of sex offenders to see the charges and judgment?

Even in our tiny state, charges and judgments are a few free mouse clicks away.

Created: 10/21/2009 11:20:36 AM
Updated: 10/21/2009 8:49:58 PM
<snipped>
The Clay County sheriff had a message for the person responsible for the death of the young girl pulled from a landfill Wednesday afternoon: "I don't want to tell that suspect what we are doing. I will tell him this: We are coming to get him."

This comment tells a lot. It was a sexual offense by a male and LE has lots of evidence to run with. It also shows passion by LE to get this guy, yet sadly is likely from discovery of a gruesome crime scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Acalvert