Casey files for-Indigency; Defense reveals how much it's been paid!

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So let me get this straight.
Over $100,000.00 has been paid to the defense...and yet
They have conducted NO to very few depositions?
NO experts have examined any of the evidence with the exception of that one trip by Dr. Lee to look at the car?
For Andrea Lyons few and rather pathetic appearances she merited over $20,000.00?
And exactly what DID Baez do with close to $90,000.00?

Was ALL of that money spent playing these pathetic and non-productive GAMES they have played and NONE of it actually went to DEFENDING her? Are they kidding?

The top of my head is about to come off!

I'm wondering about the source(s) of the incoming cash. Y'all probably know it off the top of your head, but I don't so I'd appreciate your input.

I don't think all the money went into JB's pocket, he has office expenses and staff to pay. JMO

I don't think all the money went into JB's pocket, he has office expenses and staff to pay. JMO
Oh I'm sure, but how much of that expense is related to the Casey Anthony case? I mean, are those billable hours that he was paid for or is that all for copies of documents and cd's of evidence or did he pay his lease and his electricity and his staff with it? How much ACTUALLY has been spent to DEFEND his client? I doubt it was over one hundred thousand dollars as he has not even had one single expert examine the evidence...where is the money Jose? Billable hours?:waitasec: Did you bill for the little meeting at the Ritz??? I wonder...

But......but......but......... he would have had those costs (basic operating cost of business) regardless being the ambulance - whoops high profile , darn whoops again, attorney that he is ......for now.......

:angel:

NO experts have examined any of the evidence with the exception of that one trip by Dr. Lee to look at the car?
For Andrea Lyons few and rather pathetic appearances she merited over $20,000.00?

Was ALL of that money spent playing these pathetic and non-productive GAMES they have played and NONE of it actually went to DEFENDING her? Are they kidding?

Hopefully her bill will be itemized....:innocent:

I've posted before about PDs being way better than they get credit before. I am bringing that up to temper the next statement. There were guys on the inside who were spending BIG money on commissary (money their girls, family, and friends worked for) yet still had a PD. Again, they are skilled BUT they have an enormous workload. I paid me lawyer FIRST and then budgeted how much I could spend. After toiletries, envelopes (post. paid) with pen/legal pads being the highest priority, ramens (to counter the slop) was second, and candy bars (for trading, mostly) was dead last.

What really has me besides myself is the victim is truly and demonstrably paying for the perp's defense. I canna even go there.

As a side note to the secondary conversation, the chaplain and staff are busy enough. Like anyone else, you establish a relationship with them and if it benefits both sides, the relationship grows. Being in PC, probably for life, she misses out on some of the camaraderie going to church brings. It is voluntary, does not get annotated so the 'looking good for the judge' element is not there, and you see who keeps going. :wink:

Finally, some food for thought. I did almost half a decade at a medium security State Correctional Institution, which meant there were plenty of 'lifers'. I could not even begin to imagine that being my existence for the rest of my days. Whatever reasons one holds for being 'pro-DP', I can tell you from experience LWOP would be unendurable for me. The wild thing is those 'lifers' considered it 'home' and were, for the most part, the peacemakers/police (kapos?) of that twisted and surreal community. **shudder** OK, focusing back to topic. For you to get care packages from the chaplain due to being 'indigent', you could not have more than $10 on your books for the previous month. Basically shampoo, soap, a pen, a couple envelopes, and a comb.

Sorry for the slightly rambling nature of the post. Its an emotional topic for me in more ways than one. She may THINK she is comfy and 'dug in' at the county. When she gets to the pen, she is going to HATE whoever talked her into avoiding it for so long. Although considerably more dangerous (mainly for loudmouths and **gulp** child molesters/murderers), the penitentiary has a lot more things to help pass the time. Both good AND bad, for the couple WSers who are thinking along those lines. Shame, shame :wink:

That brings up an interesting question - we all know AL's strategy of bombarding the court with nonsense motions (trying to get Judge S to rule the death penalty unconstitutional, etc) and waging a protracted battle - not for her client as much as for her own personal vendetta against the death penalty - BUT how much does this dickering and posturing and 'strategizing' cost the client? Is it ethical to wage a personal policy-oriented war on your client's dime?

That brings up an interesting question - we all know AL's strategy of bombarding the court with nonsense motions (trying to get Judge S to rule the death penalty unconstitutional, etc) and waging a protracted battle - not for her client as much as for her own personal vendetta against the death penalty - BUT how much does this dickering and posturing and 'strategizing' cost the client? Is it ethical to wage a personal policy-oriented war on your client's dime?

Ms. Lyon's sole job is to keep KC from getting the DP. So I would assume that in her eyes.....it is worth whatever it takes.

I support the DP in certain situations, but I am also very aware of the burden it places on our legal system and state resources. I would much prefer a sentence of LWOP if I knew that it would truly be LWOP.

I would rather see tax dollars currently allocated to DP trials and appeals go to school systems, and organizations that make our streets safer for kids. I would like to see those dollars ease the burden of insurance premiums on families and offer scholarships for students who deserve to go to college.

If I am being truly optimistic, I'd like to see lower prices on fabulous shoes and purses. Movies that cost $6 instead of $13 and a new car at used car prices. OK, I am joking about the last part but I didn't want to get on a political rant. There is never a winner.

My bottom line is that as a believer in the legal system though flawed, I do not believe justice can be served if both sides are not truly represented. I do not begrudge KC a prepared and qualified defense.

If the St. of FL. has to shoulder the burden....no amount of whining is going to change it. It will simply become a very unfortunate situation. Perhaps though, it will serve as a catalyst for change with regard to situations like we have seen here. While totally unpalatable now, it may be less nauseating years down the road when we see that things have changed.

I think that JB would like to fancy himself a high profile attorney.

Well Mr. Baez......I've seen real high profile attorneys and know a few as well. You sir, are not high profile......you're merely the same inexperienced attorney you were 2 years ago......you were just lucky enough to have someone "pimp you out" from day one. So....high profile???? NO Overexposed? Yes. Much like your former team member Mr. Macaluso in his delightful nod to Full Moon. I predict in 3 years you'll be submitting your name for consideration to appear on "I'm a Celebrity Get me out of Here" in an effort to remain relevant. Kind of like Rod B. Hey....aren't he and Andrea tight these days?

Ms. Lyon's sole job is to keep KC from getting the DP. So I would assume that in her eyes.....it is worth whatever it takes.

I support the DP in certain situations, but I am also very aware of the burden it places on our legal system and state resources. I would much prefer a sentence of LWOP if I knew that it would truly be LWOP.

I would rather see tax dollars currently allocated to DP trials and appeals go to school systems, and organizations that make our streets safer for kids. I would like to see those dollars ease the burden of insurance premiums on families and offer scholarships for students who deserve to go to college.

If I am being truly optimistic, I'd like to see lower prices on fabulous shoes and purses. Movies that cost $6 instead of $13 and a new car at used car prices. OK, I am joking about the last part but I didn't want to get on a political rant. There is never a winner.

My bottom line is that as a believer in the legal system though flawed, I do not believe justice can be served if both sides are not truly represented. I do not begrudge KC a prepared and qualified defense.

If the St. of FL. has to shoulder the burden....no amount of whining is going to change it. It will simply become a very unfortunate situation. Perhaps though, it will serve as a catalyst for change with regard to situations like we have seen here. While totally unpalatable now, it may be less nauseating years down the road when we see that things have changed.

I think that JB would like to fancy himself a high profile attorney. Well Mr. Baez......I've seen real high profile attorneys and know a few as well. You sir, are not high profile......you're merely the same inexperienced attorney you were 2 years ago......you were just lucky enough to have someone "pimp you out" from day one. So....high profile???? NO Overexposed? Yes. Much like your former team member Mr. Macaluso in his delightful nod to Full Moon.

I predict in 3 years you'll be submitting your name for consideration to appear on "I'm a Celebrity Get me out of Here" in an effort to remain relevant. Kind of like Rod B. Hey....aren't he and Andrea tight these days?

Bravo!!

Sleuther, it seems Mr. Ashton shares your passion for contempt for our Mr. Baez!!! You are in good company!! [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmqFJWRH-5o[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fqpwe7apfl0[/ame]

Oh I'm sure, but how much of that expense is related to the Casey Anthony case? I mean, are those billable hours that he was paid for or is that all for copies of documents and cd's of evidence or did he pay his lease and his electricity and his staff with it? How much ACTUALLY has been spent to DEFEND his client? I doubt it was over one hundred thousand dollars as he has not even had one single expert examine the evidence...where is the money Jose? Billable hours?:waitasec: Did you bill for the little meeting at the Ritz??? I wonder...

bill who?

Well, their spin didn't work for me. I pay my taxes here in Florida and I want law and order here where I live because it represents safety for me and my family. Caylee deserves justice and KC deserves to have the DP hanging over her head. We all pay this sort of thing all the time. Every defendant who has a public defender also gets their defense costs paid. Now, I won't be a happy camper if they ask for attorney's fees for JB because he took that case without knowing how he'd be paid... don't want to pay for his stupidity or his cockiness. We already have a whole office full of Public Defenders taking a salary that we pay. So far I've only heard that they are asking for defense costs though so I'll hang off until I can read the motion before I get angry. The whole reason they filed it at 5pm on a Friday is so that the media wouldn't be able to get a copy before we all started discussing this... spin spin spin... I refuse to fall for it. :snooty:

When it was possible to open the link to the article, what I read was a section in the story that stated that if the judge signs off on this, only the defense's expenses will be covered by the state NOT the attorney's fees. Does that make you feel better, Omachak?
Although as a Florida resident, you have a right to be really angry about this development.
And, you are right this information was released by the defense late Friday in order that the reporters couldn't reach the sources they needed to cover this news.

Not sticking up for JB but I have worked in a law office and someone has to pay the bills and it is usually the client. KC is a client and has been his client since July 08 so it has been almost two years. Plus when JB was on GR's program and boat, or flying to NYC for Good Morning America he was not working for other clients. It seems like a lot but when you are trying to prove the impossible it takes money. They have no one else to blame so they have to invent a person of interest. Look at the money that may have been spent to find, track down and take statements from RK's former wives. What a waste of money because even JB admitted he did not think JK's statement would be considered? So, clearly KC has no rabbit and right now she has no hat. $90,000 for a case that will last 3 years....in reality it is not that much I would think for an attorney whether we think he is doing a good job or a bad one. Does anyone know how much he would have to pay per page for the documents he has received so far??? 13,000 copies??? JMO

Not sticking up for JB but I have worked in a law office and someone has to pay the bills and it is usually the client. KC is a client and has been his client since July 08 so it has been almost two years. Plus when JB was on GR's program and boat, or flying to NYC for Good Morning America he was not working for other clients. It seems like a lot but when you are trying to prove the impossible it takes money. They have no one else to blame so they have to invent a person of interest. Look at the money that may have been spent to find, track down and take statements from RK's former wives. What a waste of money because even JB admitted he did not think JK's statement would be considered? So, clearly KC has no rabbit and right now she has no hat. $90,000 for a case that will last 3 years....in reality it is not that much I would think for an attorney whether we think he is doing a good job or a bad one. Does anyone know how much he would have to pay per page for the documents he has received so far??? 13,000 copies??? JMO

One should pose that question to Muzikman. He has been able to get the docs for WS members and he doesn't get the benefit of Geraldo's boat, ABC trips to NYC, or spending time with AL.

One should pose that question to Muzikman. He has been able to get the docs for WS members and he doesn't get the benefit of Geraldo's boat, ABC trips to NYC, or spending time with AL.

Ah, but yes, Muzikman is so much smarter than the average Baez, I mean bear. Muzikman knows he's loved by all here.

You have to wonder does defense get a discount for volume?

JB has every right to earn this and thensome-from a celebrity/wealthy client!!

Doctors (in non-emergency situations) and lawyers should not assume large risk with clients that have no worth or safety net-Otherwise it's called volunteering and pro bono. Almost every other industry would run a credit check in these situations, but no credit check necessary for Ms. Thang...hells bells, she was writing other people's checks and stealing from her grandmther, SHE HAD NO MONEY!

The problem, I think, is that he depended on media to pay the bills...That was another foolish waste of the court's time. He knew she could not pay for this case, but he was lookin out for #1. Even if he were to write a book and sell a cool mil, he can't fund KC's case personally. Once again, JB trying to game the system and finding himself upside down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryJane 55