Hurricane Katrina to possibly become a Cat 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
mysteriew said:
Not to be spreading more doom, but I am wondering about something.
Ok, NO didn't get a direct hit, and may have saved the city. Never the less they are having trouble with flooding. Ok, Katrina is expected to move up the Missippi river valley causing storms and dumping water as she goes. I am in Ohio and they are already warning that we will not only get the storms, but could possibly get flooding here. Now, our floods eventually ends up in the Ohio river, which dumps into the Mississippi. Which will already be full, possibly flooding due to the storms they have already had. What are the chances that NO is not out of the woods- due to flood waters from the north causing additional flooding in NO. I know there are locks and dams all along the Ohio and Mississippi, but the flooding they are expecting is going to have to go somewhere.
-------------
Mysteriew I am near Cleveland.We have flood warnings up beginning tomorrow.I dont have an answer to your question, wish I did.We are not in a low lying area but there are many around here. Many rivers and canals empty into Lake Erie.I hope this is the case for these storms..Take care.

concernedperson said:
My biggest problem right now is that no one is reporting on Slidell. No one and it was an importent point of the hit. Something is up there and I am sure it isn't good.If anyone is from that area, please report.

CP, we too have family in the Slidell, Mandeville, Hammond and La Place areas who we have not heard from. They have been reporting that phone lines and cell towers are down. We have left messages on cell phones, and tried calling land lines, but just get a weird beeping noise. Those that were in Slidell and Mandeville left to head towards Hammond yesterday. I know, Hammond isn't far enough away, but traffic was HORRENDOUS and that is as far as they were able to get. La Place is about 30 miles west of New Orleans, so I'm hoping they didn't have much damage. My in-laws just had a new car port installed a few weeks ago to cover their new boat. I'm just praying that both are still there.

Hopefully we'll hear something soon. Hang in there. :blowkiss:

Praise the Lord it weakened! Now we have to wait and see just what is left behind. There sure are a lot of people begging for help now, who ignored the evacuation, standing on their roofs, etc. What the heck did they expect????? Are people really that stupid? :doh: :doh: :doh:

We were just talking to some friends in Huntsville Alabama, they are in the medical supply industry and say the State ordered 100,000 body bags :eek:

That sounds so high to me - is Alabama really that effected by this storm?

Dark Knight said:
Praise the Lord it weakened! Now we have to wait and see just what is left behind. There sure are a lot of people begging for help now, who ignored the evacuation, standing on their roofs, etc. What the heck did they expect????? Are people really that stupid? :doh: :doh: :doh:

No, they are poor. They have no means for evacuation. It costs money for travel.I know the scenario. And to judge what someone's pocketbook is isn't really christian. Notice that the most death's will be in the ninth ward! Please don't judge this....it is human life and don't blame for not having the resouces and don't think that other resouces were available. They weren't!

Casshew said:
We were just talking to some friends in Huntsville Alabama, they are in the medical supply industry and say the State ordered 100,000 body bags :eek:

That sounds so high to me - is Alabama really that effected by this storm?

Lord, God tell me this isn't true? Glad to see you Cass, but this has been a rough road.

concernedperson said:
Lord, God tell me this isn't true? Glad to see you Cass, but this has been a rough road.
Hi concerned! :blowkiss:

I think that number is exaggerated but this person swears that is the amount ordered.

concernedperson said:
My biggest problem right now is that no one is reporting on Slidell. No one and it was an importent point of the hit. Something is up there and I am sure it isn't good.If anyone is from that area, please report.
CP, I will pay attention to the names of the areas that I see coverage on. How far is it from New Orleans? Is it East or West?

Does anyone know the name of the town or neighborhood that they keep showing on FOX where the water is up to the roof tops?

I am so tempted to load up on food and water for myself (I can't haul much) and take off for the southern area. I could sleep in my car. I just feel like I need to be there and do something. But at the same time, I can understand them being suspicious of strangers, and I don't want to get there and find that no one wants help or becoming a strain on their resources myself.

Cypros said:
I was reading these personal accounts posted on CNN.com. Some of them are heartrending. One person mentioned the New Orleans Zoo. There was no time to evacuate or protect the animals. That is going to be another tragedy.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/08/29/katrina.emails/index.html

Thank you so much for that link. I am still reading, but have already laughed and cried.......and I am not done reading.

Sad about the zoo animals :(

I hope many will survive somehow.

On Scarborough Country ...

Mike Brown - Director of FEMA

Joe (on generator power in Pensacola) interviews Mike Brown of FEMA in Baton Rouge.

This was the most important & profound point that stuck in my mind. Evacuees from the affected areas of Louisana, Alabama & Mississippi that are misplaced from their homes, jobs & loved ones and have literally no idea whether or not they even have a "home" to return to - those evacuees will be facing weeks & possibly "months" before they may be allowed to return.

This is a terribly tragic situation. I can not imagine ....

ConcernedPerson, you asked about Slidell. The FEMA director said that the I-10 bridge from New Orleans to Slidell "may have been" compromised. Difficult to get to that area, I guess. I think I heard earlier today that a barge broke loose and crashed into the bridge. They are going to inspect for damage tomorrow.

Keep the Faith! :angel:

13th Juror

Shadow205 said:
Does anyone know the name of the town or neighborhood that they keep showing on FOX where the water is up to the roof tops?
There was a low lying area near Lake Ponchetrain that had around 40,000 homes flooded to their rooftops.

Slowly, but surely, the death toll will begin to be reported; it will continue to climb for weeks.

concernedperson said:

concerned,
here's a link to the Slidell,Sentry news page:

http://www.slidellsentry.com/guestbook/

message to DK:
Put a lid on it. You're not helping.

mysteriew said:
I am so tempted to load up on food and water for myself (I can't haul much) and take off for the southern area. I could sleep in my car. I just feel like I need to be there and do something. But at the same time, I can understand them being suspicious of strangers, and I don't want to get there and find that no one wants help or becoming a strain on their resources myself.
It's better to stay home, and donate the money you would have spent, including for your gas, to the Red Cross. They are equipped to haul in large quantities of supplies.

This is a snippet from a National Hurricane Center local bulleetin for New Orleans/Baton Rouge/Mississippi

ALTHOUGH THE TROPICAL STORM WARNING FOR KATRINA HAS BEEN DISCONTINUED
ALONG THE MISSISSIPPI COAST...COASTAL FLOOD PROBLEMS COULD PERSIST
ACROSS THE COASTAL SECTIONS OF HANCOCK...HARRISON AND JACKSON
COUNTIES THROUGH THE NIGHT DUE TO CONTINUED MODERATE TO STRONG
ONSHORE WINDS AND HIGH TIDE OCCURRING ONCE AGAIN AROUND
SUNRISE TUESDAY MORNING. THEREFORE...A COASTAL FLOOD WARNING FOR
THESE COUNTIES HAS BEEN ISSUED THROUGH TONIGHT.

Buzzm1 said:
It's better to stay home, and donate the money you would have spent, including for your gas, to the Red Cross. They are equipped to haul in large quantities of supplies.

I used to volunteer for the Red Cross. I have a lot of respect for the job they do in both large and small disasters. But, after they kept giving my "ex" (also a volunteer) money for this and that- gave him a vehicle to drive back and forth to his job- meanwhile refusing much help to a local area in a flood (they were a rural county and didn't give much money in advance to the local chapter). I have lost a lot of respect for the org. and am not real sure that I want to continue to pay for my ex's travel to work. They don't allow for "targeted" donations. All donations are put into a general fund and dished out to the chapters as the need arises.
If you want to make sure your funds are going to the area you want to help and you want to contribute to Red Cross- go to the website for the chapter in the area for which you want to contribute and make your donation there. At least they will get credit for being the source of the funds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cheyenne1060