The camera - is it possible for it to go off on its own?

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I have a camera that looks like the one from the court image posted upthread and it has a setting on it that will double snap a photo.

One setting has a two picture per click or rather it takes a picture on a half click and then one at the full click. One complete click ends up being one picture of what I wanted and the other one ends up being the top of someones head or ceiling or floor depending on which way I moved after the half click got my picture but I made the full click (waiting for the full click to move unaware of the setting) then moved so the full click is on a few second delay and I believe it is called and action shot setting. I believe alot of cameras have this setting .

I think this is what he picture showing the light and the shower door might be. unless the timestamp doesnt support that (I have not seen the timestamps)

This is from the "Media/Timeline" thread, posted as a sticky at top. Page 6 for
discussion of camera and photos:

Other photos recovered from unallocated portion of the memory stick of the camera.
#161, #162, #163
#161--5:31:14, 45 seconds later. Photo of a ceiling and the upper wall portion of the bathroom. Can see what looks like the shower door . No floor trim seen in the photo. Was the camera right side up when this was taken? Yes.
Can it be determined if the photo was taken right side up? Yes.
Melendez' opinion is that the camera is 2-3 feet, waist high, off the ground when the last two photos were taken.
#162--5:32:16, 62 seconds later. Was the camera right side up or upside down? Camera was upside down when the photo was taken. Floor can be seen in the photo. (This is the much debated photo of Travis being dragged?)
Det. Melendez has worked on hundreds of thousands of photographs in his career. He is therefore able to form an opinion on where the camera was to take these photos. This photo was taken on the ground.
#163--5:33:13. Photo of the floor, can see a mass with reddish lines in the top left corner. Can see the floor. This photo was taken upside down. Camera would have been on the ground."

The upward photo showing the top of the shower door and the light was not the result of the camera being dropped because it would have had to bounce up at least 4 feet or more and then have the button triggered to go off. Photo expert testified about it being at that height or higher when the photo was taken. Cameras do not bounce that high off of a tile floor bath mat. You could drop a camera on a bed and it still would not bounce up that high. Jodi still had the camera in her hand when the photo was taken and the button was activated by having pressure put on the trigger by her finger.

Yes, I think it still had to be in her right hand or right as she was dropping it. From the necessary angle with the lens facing up and forward from her, she would have to have flipped the camera back in her hand from the natural camera holding position. I think it's possible that happened as she started to stand up and go into her attack, concentrating her attention on her left hand with the knife she pulled from her pants or whatever top she had. As she was concentrating on the knife, she would be ignoring the camera hand and the camera moved positions in her hand or that she fumbled it and as it was dropping from her hand, she contacted the shutter hard enough to depress it. After it dropped, it was was later kicked down the hall, landing upside down with the shutter next to the floor, and was kicked or bumped with enough force to depress the shutter two more times.

I have a camera that looks like the one from the court image posted upthread and it has a setting on it that will double snap a photo.

One setting has a two picture per click or rather it takes a picture on a half click and then one at the full click. One complete click ends up being one picture of what I wanted and the other one ends up being the top of someones head or ceiling or floor depending on which way I moved after the half click got my picture but I made the full click (waiting for the full click to move unaware of the setting) then moved so the full click is on a few second delay and I believe it is called and action shot setting. I believe alot of cameras have this setting .

I think this is what he picture showing the light and the shower door might be. unless the timestamp doesnt support that (I have not seen the timestamps)

No, the time-stamp doesn't support this feature. TA is sitting on the floor of the shower stall at the time she takes the last facial portrait, 5:29:20. At 5:30:30 the last photo of TA looking alive and unharmed depicts him from the shoulder down, still sitting in a relaxed position, with his right leg crossed over his left, his right arm out-stretched and resting on his right knee. So, there's 1 minute and 10 seconds between those two photos. The next photo occurs 44 seconds later, of the bathroom ceiling, presumably when the camera fell. All the intervals are of different or odd time frames - nothing consistent to imply that timing was intentional.
I'd also like to point out that JA is left handed and so was TA. If she switched to a knife to kill TA then she'd be in a very awkward position to begin stabbing him from the left since his body was facing to the right. The gun would make more sense. Either way, if after the last photo of TA sitting at rest on the floor of the shower she initiated the attack, dropping the camera so she could switch to a weapon makes sense.
Also, the shutter button on the camera is raised slightly and hair triggered for quick response so bumping against anything will cause it to go off. I really don't think she meant for those last three photos to go off - I do believe that was all inadvertently caused by the ensuing struggles.

Is it possible for this type of camera to be on a neck or wrist strap?

Yes there was a neck strap for the camera but it was not attached to the camera. It was found unused in the camera bag.

Being a photographer, and looking at the sequence of photos, my guess is that all the pictures except the last two were taken by JA pushing the shutter release directly. I believe they showed that the picture of his lower body only, sitting in the shower, came before the flash photo of his face. My idea is that this was the last photo deliberately taken and that TA wasn't injured yet. Since so many of the pictures prior to this were done without flash I even guess that the flash right in front of his face was deliberate to affect his vision while she swung the knife for the first time. That next picture of the ceiling and light above the shower I believe was taken with JA's right hand as the stabbing began with the left hand. She likely tensed all her muscles up as she lunged at him, including the finger above the shutter release, and then dropped the camera. The rest are just inadvertent bumping into the camera on the floor.

Not sure if this is correct place for my comments. The “face shot” is definitely taken through the glass shower door. Pretty much straight on.

The pix of TA’s lower torso, however, appears to be taken with the door open (although, given we don’t have the actual pix, it’s a little hard to tell). My vote is this shot was taken after the face picture, after the shower door was opened.

And about that lower torso pix … Notice how his legs are crossed, protecting his genitalia? And his body is somewhat curled away from the camera? Notice his arms are not visible, apparently raised?

TA is not relaxed in this shot. In fact, it appears he is beginning to shield his body.

I read on the media thread that the camera still works. When it was being examined, the button you push to take the picture fell off. Other than that, it's okay. The more I watch the trial, the more I tend to think everything Jodi says is a lie. I'm not even sure she dropped the camera. It could have been put on the floor really fast when she was trying to shoot or stab Travis, and one or both of them accidentally kicked it. If there is no one to corroborate something Jodi says, I'm assuming it is a lie.

I think the first one - the pix of Travis still in the shower but the photo does not show his face just the part of his body contacting the shower floor - this one seems to be a hand held photo to me as the flash obviously triggered - JMO this is when she stabbed him in the middle of the chest. Her finger tripped it in response to muscle flex when she stabbed him.

I do think he tried to get out of the shower and at that point she dropped the camera which resulted in the upward photo showing the top of the shower door and the light. The photo resulted as the camera impacted the floor - note there is no flash.

The other two I believe resulted as the camera was accidentally kicked or otherwise impacted during the ensuing struggle resulting in the two dark photos, again without the flash going off.

Just my limited thought about it anyway. My digital is very light with respect to activating the shutter, doesn't take much pressure at all.
Just wanted to say that it is good to see you again.

Ok I have a question. Jodi said she wanted to show Travis some pictures. Speaking of her crotch shots.
Couldn't she have taken a picture of a picture? It would still have the June 4,2008 date and time right?

I just took a picture of my great grandparents. My camera says it was taken a few minutes ago. They have been deceased since before I was born.

Clearly she was still alive at the time... Is there a way to tell if it was a picture of a picture?
Maybe she already had those shots prior to June 4th?

Obviously the pics of her on the bed in braids were that day due to her brown hair...
Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1362914691527.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1362914691527.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 42
^ there is glare from the light source in the room you took the photo in. While I'm not an "expert in determining if an image on a digital camera is of another photo," it is pretty easy to tell by the general look of the image. It will look flat, sometimes you can see the texture of the paper, the image might not be perfectly cropped, it may not have been taken perfectly perpendicularly, and there is often glare from light sources.

I don't doubt they had sex that day. What makes you doubt those images?

The time stamps are about a minute a part at that point so it wouldnt have been that. Also, and information like that about the camera settings would have been in the EXIF info.

^ there is glare from the light source in the room you took the photo in. While I'm not an "expert in determining if an image on a digital camera is of another photo," it is pretty easy to tell by the general look of the image. It will look flat, sometimes you can see the texture of the paper, the image might not be perfectly cropped, it may not have been taken perfectly perpendicularly, and there is often glare from light sources.

Detective Melendez gave a great demonstration in court of how that camera could take photos merely by someone tapping on it with their hand, foot or other body part. Beginning at the 6:30 mark here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90v_K33fnm8

Here is another valuable discussion on water droplets, with photo illustrations: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9014454&postcount=557

I don't doubt they had sex that day either, but I am beginning to enjoy the skeptics who believe she took her own photos with a timer and tripod and/or uploaded old photos onto TA's new camera, for the simple reason that it effectively denies JA her claim to fame as sexually irresistible to TA. "Girlfriend, you had to take those yourself, he wouldn't touch you with a 10-foot pole!" :D

I agree about the light source! I was just curious...
IMO Travis did NOT take that or those crotch shots of her.
I think she took them herself or someone else took them for her.
JMO... :blushing: I will leave it at that on a public forum.:seeya:

Detective Melendez gave a great demonstration in court of how that camera could take photos merely by someone tapping on it with their hand, foot or other body part. Beginning at the 6:30 mark here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90v_K33fnm8

Here is another valuable discussion on water droplets, with photo illustrations: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9014454&postcount=557

I don't doubt they had sex that day either, but I am beginning to enjoy the skeptics who believe she took her own photos with a timer and tripod and/or uploaded old photos onto TA's new camera, for the simple reason that it effectively denies JA her claim to fame as sexually irresistible to TA. "Girlfriend, you had to take those yourself, he wouldn't touch you with a 10-foot pole!" :D

Taking her own pics with a camera timer and a tripod??? Could this have involved a hand held "remote"? Maybe DB's "remote" that she had to return? Noting she didn't bother to return his gas cans...

:truce:

Oh haha xD well cant blame you for doubting he wanted a picture of her gaping hole. :floorlaugh: could have easily been set on a dresser or something by her with a timer. Who knows. Dont want to think about it any more. :floorlaugh:

It's possible, even though she denys it, that she learned how to use the timer, much as she learned how to delete. I wouldn't put much past her in the way of devious activity.

Travis took those pictures of her. There's nothing the least bit unbelievable about it.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NunyaBizness54
Back