MA MA - Joan Risch, 30, Lincoln, 24 Oct 1961

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...v4HAAg&usg=AFQjCNG5yvhG66zIHg28D-APX2aq0CGydg

I found a wealth of information and crime scene photos at this site. This is more than a nose bleed or a few spots of blood as we've been led to believe.

Great link... thank you!

I guess little Lillian didn't hear or see anything (nor anyone) that scared her during the 30 minutes before she realized her mother wasn't home.

Although it may not have anything to do with her disappearance, I continue to find the info (reported in link below) re: Joan's possible sexual abuse while in foster care quite troubling.

http://www.myspace.com/joanrischinfo/blog/360069382

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...v4HAAg&usg=AFQjCNG5yvhG66zIHg28D-APX2aq0CGydg

I found a wealth of information and crime scene photos at this site. This is more than a nose bleed or a few spots of blood as we've been led to believe.

Great find. I had always wondered if there were any crime scene photos online. In fact, a year ago I tried to find some, but to no avail. Nice work.

I agree that there is much more blood in the those photos than what I and everyone else initially had thought. Some papers and missing persons sites give the notion that it was just a little drop here, and a smudge and a smear there! But not by the looks of those photos. They said the same about the baby's room, that there were droplets of blood. Now seeing these photos, the baby's room could have looked the same or worse. I wish those photos were included.

What I find peculiar and very odd is the placement of the phone receiver in the trash can. The way it dangles and clings to the rim of the bin looks like it had to have been deliberately placed in such a way to be in that odd position... and with how the cord is up and over the can. There is NO WAY that someone–either Risch or an attacker, could rip the cord from the phone and throw on it on top and have the phone handset rest like that. It looks too orchestrated and gently positioned into place to just cling there on the edge. It looks very staged.

As for the unidentified palm print... hmm... I don't know. I will need to really examine this file.

I read in one of the articles that Mr. Risch was asked if his wife was pregnant. He said he didn't know but that if she was, she would not have been upset about it. That alone sounds a little fishy. It makes me wonder if she was pregnant and unhappy about it and had an abortionist come to the house. She was seen outside her house that day by a neighbor, looking like she was expecting someone. Perhaps the procedure didn't go well and she tried to call for an ambulance. The abortionist freaked out, tore the phone out of the wall, they struggled and he eventually got her outside, driving her somewhere he could dispose of her. Or perhaps he left her for dead and she wandered off and bled to death. It's a puzzle with so many possibilities.

After reading the pdf with some of the actual police files and seeing the photos, I'm actually taking a different perspective on this case. I had always perceived she staged a stunt and ran away from her family. But, like everyone else, we just had very little to go on about any real details of the case.

Well, after reading through and seeing all that blood, this case not only answers questions, but asks even more. This has to be one of the most bizarre and perplexing cases I've ever read. It's truly the most baffling mystery I've ever come across. I wish that there were more things included in the pdf as I would want to read the report concerning what the police found in detail in the kitchen and throughout the house. And the bathroom, was there blood in the bathroom? The newspapers said that there was blood in the master bedroom, the hall at the top of the stairs, and the children's room. I hope a websleuther in the Boston area could research this case and try and get more police case reports and photos.

But, after reading the reports about eye-witnesses seeing the same woman for almost over an hour walking on the highway bleeding with bloody blotches up and down her legs, both front and back, tells me that she very well could have had an abortion. Did she do it on her own? Perhaps.

But there is unidentified fingerprints and a palm print in Risch's own blood. I agree that the mysterious car that people saw possibly parked and leaving her driveway could have been a doctor. Just like what was said... it could have been an abortion gone horribly wrong and she started hemorrhaging... and she panicked... then the doctor panicked... and she want to call an ambulance or someone to come help her and the panicked doctor yanked the phone receiver out of her hand and the phone set. But, I think in a panic the doctor left her there and got out of dodge. That's when she left on her own accord and was seen walking along roadways.

This theory is possible according to the "Police Report to the FBI" as on Page Two it states:

"There is no specific evidence that victim was abducted and possibility exists that she may have hemorrhaged or caused self inflicting wound and left the residence herself."

If it was an abortion, she possibly she couldn't face her husband and family after such an incident because of shame and guilt. Perhaps those mysterious phone calls to the Risch home days after were from her.

It is also interesting that there are no footprints that were found in the entire bloody mess, like someone did their best to avoid stepping in it. It's also odd that her neighbor saw her in the trench coat around 2:15 p.m., running around with her arms outstretched and seeing a glimpse of red. Perhaps, Risch, quickly losing so much blood was going into a real state of shock.

I also noticed in one of the newspaper articles that it showed the Rischs' second car, the 1951 Chevy that was parked in the driveway had blood on the front hood by the windshield and numerous spots on the back. There was no photo of the front of the car, but when I examined the exact spots in the photo of the article I found them and marked them in the photo attached.

Also, in the same photo, there is a metal wire hanger on top of the car. The investigation took place that evening of October 24, 1961, and near 8 p.m., police called the fire department to bring lights to light up the house and driveway. And when I saw the photos taken early the following morning, the wire hanger is gone. It must have been taken as evidence.

Attachments

• risch_car.jpg
    risch_car.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 280
I don't recall any reference to a coat hanger in this case but I looked at the photo again and there it is. I completely overlooked it; apparently so did the police. Perhaps Joan picked up a couple while she was out with Lillian, then went to get one when the time came to self abort? Perhaps an abortionist (the person in the parked car?) brought it with him/her and left it there in case an extra one was needed? It could all be very innocent too but nothing screams 1960's abortion like a coat hanger.

I would also agree that it could be a abortion or possibly a miscarriage.
But I been thinking about the books and her connection to here career.

Perhaps she was researching or investigating a case. Maybe she got a little too close and perhaps there was some sort of witness protection thing underground type thing. Maybe it was all set up to run asap. So she was to set up her disappearance. So she went about her routine nervously not knowing home much time she had left with her kids. She has an encounter with a assailant in her home. She then as quickly as she could ran to the phone called whom ever it was (unmarked car in her drive way) to pick her upto take her somewhere safe.
Later down the street or that construction spot. She jumps out because she wanted to say good bye to her kids. Then the encounter she had with the assailant Spots her. The unmarked car gets her inside the car and they go underground or in some sort of witness protection program.

Meaning she leaves her life behind.....

This link found is interesting and mentions another wife leaving her children behind like in the case with Joan.

Mrs. Susan Caira, 21, disappeared from her Newton Corner home, last Monday, leaving a three-year-old girl and a year-old boy alone

There is also this in a paper.
Fitchburg Sentinel
January 19, 1972

Belmont, Mass. (AP) Police called in heavy digging equipment today to renew a search for the body of a Newton mother of two who has been missing from her home since Sept. 16, 1968.

Watertown police said an informant told him his conscience was bothering him, he knew where Mrs. Caira was buried and indicated an area at the bottom of a slope in the Beaver Brook Reservation off Trapelo Road.

I wonder what came of that. Interesting in deed.

I don't recall any reference to a coat hanger in this case but I looked at the photo again and there it is. I completely overlooked it; apparently so did the police. Perhaps Joan picked up a couple while she was out with Lillian, then went to get one when the time came to self abort? Perhaps an abortionist (the person in the parked car?) brought it with him/her and left it there in case an extra one was needed? It could all be very innocent too but nothing screams 1960's abortion like a coat hanger.

I agree. I think that is very odd. Here is a close up of the hanger from the same photo.

Attachments

• hanger_car.jpg
    hanger_car.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 231
This link found is interesting and mentions another wife leaving her children behind like in the case with Joan.

Mrs. Susan Caira, 21, disappeared from her Newton Corner home, last Monday, leaving a three-year-old girl and a year-old boy alone

There is also this in a paper.

I wonder what came of that. Interesting in deed.

Yes, very interesting indeed. I wonder if the cases may be related somehow? The 68' case may have been inspired by the Risch case, that is, if the mother had left willingly on her own.

[
QUOTE=Kodiak;9850075]Yes, very interesting indeed. I wonder if the cases may be related somehow? The 68' case may have been inspired by the Risch case, that is, if the mother had left willingly on her own.
[/QUOTE]

I have often thought this particular disappearance was related to an abortion, and it would not surprise me if there were quite a number of other such cases.

Before Roe vs Wade, there were still plenty of abortions. They were just not legal. As a result, very often they were very dangerous and when the patient died, it was in the best interest of the abortionist to just dispose of the body. Because the "patient" had often kept the entire thing a secret it was not that difficult to hide.

Back in the '70's I worked with a much older lady, she was in her late
70's at the time. Before her 2 daughters were born in the 1930's she herself had had 5 abortions. She was married at the time, they just weren't ready for children and it seems it was often used as birth control.

She told me the reason she stopped having them was that her younger sister died from complicaitions of one at about the same time her best friend, also married, disappeared. She said, although it was never proven, that those close to her friend all assumed she had died during an abortiion and the body disposed of. According to this woman anyway, it was pretty common.

I have always thought that the reason LE asked the husband whether Joan could have been pregnant is because they possibly suspected an illegal or home abortion had taken place or had been attempted. The husband stated she would not have been unhappy to be pregnant. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the husband state at one time that he believed she could still be alive? I don't have time right now to search for it, but if he did believe that, then I wonder why. You don't walk out on your family and stage a disappearance unless you are unhappy.

[
QUOTE=dogperson;9858863]I have always thought that the reason LE asked the husband whether Joan could have been pregnant is because they possibly suspected an illegal or home abortion had taken place or had been attempted. The husband stated she would not have been unhappy to be pregnant. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the husband state at one time that he believed she could still be alive? I don't have time right now to search for it, but if he did believe that, then I wonder why. You don't walk out on your family and stage a disappearance unless you are unhappy.
[/QUOTE]

Or the husband simply lied about that. Perhaps he knew full well she was not happy about a pregnancy and also suspected a botched abortion. Abortioh was not only illegal back then, but a very shameful subject that I would suspect a family member would not want to broadcast. Especially when th woman in question was married wiith no apparent reason to be upset about another pregnancy.
I have often wondered if this was a woman who gave up a career to live the life the times dictated that she should be happy with, and then she wasn't. She may have just not wanted any more children and this could have been the sad result.

I, too, think the abortion angle makes sense and it would explain why the perp might have boldly parked his car in the driveway, except that I can't imagine Joan would have an abortion in the house with children coming in and out. Her daughter could have walked in at any time and what if the baby had awoken and began to cry. It's not like she could have jumped up during the middle of an abortion to tend to the kids. I found it interesting in one of the articles above that mentioned a neighbor suspected somebody had been in their house while they were at work and police suspected someone may have been hiding out in the house watching for something. That sounds like a hit. What is the common denominator for so many murders of wives -- out of town husbands, this one being no different.

I'm new to this thread and am fascinated by this very sad story. Here are my comments, FWTW.

--If Joan did have an abortion at home, I would think there would be evidence on one of the beds, yes?

--If the police opined that the car in Joan's driveway that afternoon was an unmarked patrol car, was there a police report from that unmarked patrol car? If not, how do the police know it was an unmarked patrol car?? Huh?

--The half hour the 4-year old spent in her house that afternoon between 4 and 4:30 (approx.) must have been traumatic, to say the least. Thinking of Joan's daughter searching the home for her mother, coming across the "red paint" in the kitchen, hearing her little brother crying upstairs, and then having to wait until her neighbor arrived back home--must have been agonizing. I wonder if she thought she couldn't try to get help from any other neighbors and that's why she waited for the return of her neighbor across the street.

--The clothes hanger on Joan's car could have been the only weapon for self defense Joan could lay her hands on during the attack. Why it was left on top of her car is a real mystery.

--I'm just guessing here--but I think it must have required quite a bit of strength to pull a wall phone right off the wall mount and rip away the connecting wires. Perhaps this is evidence of a male intruder?

--If she had indeed had a botched abortion, I'm trying to think of a reasonable scenario of how blood from the lower part of her body could have left blood droplets on top of the trunk of her car. Blood smears, maybe. But blood droplets? I think the blood droplets on the top of the trunk of her car point to a source of the bleeding probably from her head. ?

--Were the Risch's phone records examined by the police for leads?

--The blood droplets in the upstairs bedrooms are as inexplicable as the "sightings" of the woman on the highway/road--if indeed it was Joan. What in the world was she doing in her upstairs bedrooms while she was dripping blood? The rooms upstairs weren't in disarray so it's less likely she was trying to evade her intruder during the attack. So does that mean she went upstairs, bleeding, after the intruder left? Was she looking out the windows to determine if the intruder and his car were gone, before leaving the house? I don't recall hearing about any missing suitcases or clothing, so she wasn't upstairs packing a bag. It's simply inexplicable.

Thanks for listening!

DianeElaine, those are some good questions. I suppose if she had an abortion they could have performed it on the kitchen table, but still you would expect some evidence on the table. Maybe she allowed someone to start the process but suddenly changed her mind? It could have been more painful than expected, or there could have been more blood loss than expected, or she may have been overcome with remorse. I have also wondered if maybe she actually miscarried and there never was an abortionist who visited the house. This could have been why police asked her husband about pregnancy. For example, maybe she was upstairs hanging laundry in the closet, checking on the baby, and noticed she was bleeding. She might have run downstairs to the phone with coat hanger in hand. Also, maybe nobody ripped the phone from the wall intentionally. She could have been holding onto the phone and maybe became faint or even slipped in her own blood. She could have fallen and pulled the phone onto the floor with her.
As for running into the driveway, I wonder if she had the irrational thought of driving herself to the hospital, which wouldn't make a lot of sense in her bleeding condition, and with a sleeping child still upstairs. I can't recall if her car keys were still inside the house or if anyone mentioned them. The blood in the photos in one of the news stories definitely looks like more than a nosebleed to me. I have had some severe nosebleeds in the past but not to that extent. Maybe she became dazed/disoriented from loss of blood? Other conditions which might cause this is a high spike in blood pressure or even a brain disorder which could cause bleeding from the nose.
Why didn't anyone stop when they saw a bleeding woman walking dazedly by the road? Why did nobody stop to see if she was okay or offer to run somewhere and call an ambulance? If they had, she might still be fine today and might have lived to raise her family. I tend to believe she passed away of whatever occurred this day, rather than that she faked her disappearance.
Another thing which struck me odd is in the neighbor's testimony she stated her child said Mrs Risch cut the grass earlier in the day. It seems a little late in the year to be mowing the yard unless it had remained fairly warm that fall. Plus, did she normally mow the yard wearing a dress? It was stated she disappeared wearing a skirt.

Some of the info seems to point to a seizure/post-seizure event.

Even without a history of epilepsy, a person can suddenly suffer an isolated seizure, for various reasons.

I'm very close to someone who has seizures, have seen them be injured during a seizure, and have witnessed their post-seizure physical and mental state---their altered mental state lasts quite some time after the seizure ends.

If Mrs. Risch had a seizure, alone (only very young children in the house, who may not have even witnessed the event), she could have injured herself causing bleeding (even superficial scalp wounds are known to bleed profusely, and the blood could run down onto the person's legs).

When she "came to", very groggy, very confused & dazed, very uncoordinated, possibly with a minor head injury in addition to the after affects of the seizure---she may have stumbled in her dazed state around the house, gone outside, gone back in, tried to make a confused phone call, stumbled while holding onto the phone for support, ripping it out of the wall...then stumbled out of the house while no one happened to see her leave.

When she dazedly made her way to the side of the road, several people saw her, none of those who reportedlater that they'd seen her, stopped to help. But someone may have then stopped and picked her up, and the person who at last stopped to pick her up didn't report it....they may have harmed her, or just dumped her off somewhere else and she then wandered into the woods, or water, or a construction area where she met w/ an accident, etc.

After a seizure an individual can be so confused that they are very vulnerable to anyone telling them what to do, or stopping to give them a ride, they very likely might just dully say "ok" and get into a car.

The unidentified fingerprints in the blood could have been Mrs. Risch's own, as in her uncoordinated post-seizure state she held onto areas that already had blood on them. Unless for some reason she already had her prints on record somewhere to compare them with, they would not be able to rule out the prints in the blood as being her own.

as for the mystery/murder/disappearance books from the library? That puts her in a category with millions of others who are interested & read about the same subject matter---back then the only way to read about it was to check out all the books you could find, no internet to read on!

From the Boston Globe

Martin D. Risch Share E-mail Visit Guest Book
RISCH, Martin D. 79, died on June 22 ,2009 after a long illness. Long time resident of Lincoln. Survived by 1 son; David Risch of Haverhill, 1 daughter Lillian Mowe and her husband Jon of Port Angeles WA, 1 brother; Grant Risch of Toms River NJ, 1 granddaughter; Heather Mowe and four nephews. Martin lived a difficult and a good life. He endeavored to make life better for himself and his family and those memories will be with us always. Relatives and friends are respectfully invited to join with the family for a funeral mass on Friday at 10:00 a.m in Saint Joseph's Church, 142 Lincoln Rd. Lincoln. Burial will follow in Lincoln Cemetery on Lexington Rd. Arrangements under the direction of the William R. Short and Son Funeral Home of MARLBOROUGH.

What a sad obituary.
Just learned of this case, very sad and mysterious. The uid fingerprints make me pretty sure its actually foul play. The older I get, the more odd coincidences I notice. Haverhill NH is the area where Maura Murray disappeared from, and Port Angeles is where Israel Keys kept a cache of murder implements. I think I need a new hobby! Nite......

Soooo fascinating. My take is abortion too. Someone "attempted to clean the kitchen" I have heard of two other cases where they had abortions on the kitchen table. The neighbor must have just stared outside all day to see her dazed at her car at 2:45, cutting grass at 12:15 etc. Perfect eye witness.....but cutting grass before an abortion, unaware of when your son will wake up and daughter come home. Were these abortions quick? Seems like you would need to rest afterwards. So maybe this wasn't abortion? Maybe this was a fling and she was pregnant and he tried to kill her? I dunno..

This case is both fascinating and creepy. I can't imagine that she just walked away from her children, but you never know. I don't know if her husband was in denial or maybe he did know something. I'm sure her children still think of her.

Has anyone seen the 1970 TV movie "The House On Greenapple Road"? I've wondered if it was inspired by the Joan Risch case. The opening sequence especially.

Here's the link to the first part: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnU02BYs8f4

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clancehan