2009.04.10 Defense Motion for Additional Phone Records

Is this a follow-up to his attempt to get an ex parte hearing so he could get some documentary evidence by extraordinary means without revealing his theory of the case?

I've been confounded as to motives of the ex parte hearing request. But as I undertstand it, discovery runs both ways and there's only but so many possible defense theories anyway, if he's saying Casey didn't do it.

The only thing he he could hide that way would be that he's fishing and possibly in which lakes or streams they weren't biting.

Now we we know how wide his net is, but I wouldn't put it past him to throw some red hearings in there too.

snipped from local 6 http://www.clickorlando.com/news/19151346/detail.html

"Another name on the list is not as familiar.
Keith Williams is one of a number of people who walked around the woods off suburban drive months before Caylee was found.

Williams used to live in the same neighborhood as the Anthonys, and when he heard of Caylee’s disappearance, he immediately thought of the woods where Casey Anthony used to hang out.

Williams went to look in the area on Aug. 5. and again on Aug. 18.

“The second time I was out there I actually found a bag of stuffed animals and that was suspicious to me because none of them were damaged,” Williams said. “There were just in a bad thrown in the back woods there.”

Williams called the Orange County Sheriff’s Department thinking his finding might be significant. Deputy Richard Cain responded to the call."

This ties in with Deputy Cain of course but I am wondering why not interview Mr Williams. Why the phone records?
Could this be moving towards the theory that Caylee's remains were not there, some one moved it to that location to frame Casey?
Deputy Cain phone records? Would this be his personal phone? If he was on Duty when he went to the location on Suburban would he be talking to dispatch on his personal cell phone?

Quoting my own self and adding- sorry...
Ooooooh, I got me a bad feeling about Deputy RC being on that list.....the bus may be turning in his direction. Would serve a dual purpose of giving them a new SODDI and showing how "incompetent" LE has been.....any bets JB will try to paint him as some weirdo or pervert and hint that he didn't do correct searches cos he knew body was there?

Same sort of thing applies to KW....bus may be headed his way, as opposed to using him for defense to say remains were not there in August. JB may want phone records, hoping there are enough calls to the A's to kinda paint him as stalker-ish. Is he in the age range to have possibly hung out at Fusion or elsewhere KC could have met him and blown him off as not bf material?

I don't see why phone records of totally independent witnesses are appropriate for JB to fish through. But the obvious big picture is that he wants to show that the remains were not there at any time his client could have placed them there. If there is anyone in the bunch who was there at some time who could also be accused, I guess that's the icing on the cake for them.

There is no logic to JB's motion, but he likes the attention. I gather from the postings that he is trying to find the person that hid Caylee.

(a) If somebody else hid the remains on Suburban, how is Baez going to explain the Caylee's body decomposing in the car kc was driving with all the evidence from the Anthony house in the bag?

(b) If SODDI is kc's defense due to the fact that JB is accusing another of disposel and prove it by phone records; than it still appears likely that some person/s in the A house committed murder based on all the evidence within the bag. Is he implying that afterward the perp arranged or volunteered someone else to dispose of the body?

(c)So, if someone outside of the family disposed of Caylee than all JB has Illegal Disposal of a Corpse.

So, in requesting phone records, is he trying to find the person that disposed of Caylee on Suburban? This doesn't get kc off the hook for murder. He can't use this phone evidence in court and to explain away kc's involvement in murder. He is attempting to make the SA's office work 24 hrs a day by forcing them to review all the phone records that he is requesting.....same method the Anthonys employed when they had the ambitious "Caylee is alive" theory going on....diversion, keep them busy by using up all their resources so they can't work on the case.

More smoke and mirrors from JB. Just how does JB expect to get phone records from any disposable phone? Hopefully DC has given the phone(s) to the SA and/or LE. And what about the 2nd phone KC had? Have we had any indication from SA or LE that one did or does exist?

Not only that, there is no way the phone records can prove who was on the phone during the call(s) JB is interested in.

Seems to me that JB just wants more attention, once again. Like a child who cannot get positive attention they go for the negative. I do feel sorry for the clerks in the courts office having to deal with them on a daily basis. Maybe that is what he is looking for. Someone to mess up.

This went on to ad nauseam in the oj case. Those attorneys kept the SA so busy they had little time elsewhere. The high-powered attorneys spread info so high and wide it made matters difficult for the prosecution. They had the SA's office chasing down witnesses from all over the country. They did not have thousands of employees to cover the spiel that the defense was throwing out there. That, combined with the location of the trial, led to the outcome. I think JB is so full of himself, he believes he can pull the same with kc by taking pages from the OJ trial....fool that he is.:gavel:

I believe the defense theory (this week) is that someone else disposed of the body whilst KC was in jail (he's leaving the trunk to LKB to debunk).

His ex parte motion likely requested DC, bag of toys man (Williams?), and deputy Reid. So he could question all calls they made prior to visiting the site (we NEED a dude what didit).

If they don't find any felons in that very wide net :) they'll just go with - none of those people found the body cuz it wasn't there yet. :rolleyes:

The bottom line is - they don't have a defense yet. They are casting a wide net, and hoping they can find something that will both provide reasonable doubt and fit in with the rest of the story.

Given that KC is a compulsive liar, she is probably leading JB on a wild goose chase too. He has to research and prove everything his client tells him or risk looking even more foolish than he already does.

Good Luck with that Mr. Baez.

Do we know if the state ever asked for any of these cell phone records (weren't some voluteered in interviews?), if they were sealed, or why we have not seen them? If the state had received them, why would the defense need to get them on their own rather than through discovery?

I know we saw many of AH's, but what about JG, AL or any of the Anthony bat-phones for that matter....I'm looking at the timeline/ping threads and there seems to be so much information still missing that could help really solidify the timeline....some of the interviewees were confused about the times and dates of certain events, so cell phone records could be helpful. It still nags me how the timeline of this murder went down, even if I acknowledge deep down that we may never know the whole story.

Other more specific records threads may be helpful to bump in lieu of this one, I'll look around.

Do we know if the state ever asked for any of these cell phone records (weren't some voluteered in interviews?), if they were sealed, or why we have not seen them? If the state had received them, why would the defense need to get them on their own rather than through discovery?

I know we saw many of AH's, but what about JG, AL or any of the Anthony bat-phones for that matter....I'm looking at the timeline/ping threads and there seems to be so much information still missing that could help really solidify the timeline....some of the interviewees were confused about the times and dates of certain events, so cell phone records could be helpful. It still nags me how the timeline of this murder went down, even if I acknowledge deep down that we may never know the whole story.

Other more specific records threads may be helpful to bump in lieu of this one, I'll look around.

Phone records are something that are independently discoverable and can be subpoena'd by both sides. Or simply voluntarily released by the appropriate party. The state only has to provide those phone records that they specifically plan on using at trial. This is another one of those cases where the defense is obligated to do their own leg work and own investigating.

snipped from local 6 http://www.clickorlando.com/news/19151346/detail.html

"Another name on the list is not as familiar.
Keith Williams is one of a number of people who walked around the woods off suburban drive months before Caylee was found.

Williams used to live in the same neighborhood as the Anthonys, and when he heard of Caylee’s disappearance, he immediately thought of the woods where Casey Anthony used to hang out.

Williams went to look in the area on Aug. 5. and again on Aug. 18.

“The second time I was out there I actually found a bag of stuffed animals and that was suspicious to me because none of them were damaged,” Williams said. “There were just in a bad thrown in the back woods there.”

Williams called the Orange County Sheriff’s Department thinking his finding might be significant. Deputy Richard Cain responded to the call."

This ties in with Deputy Cain of course but I am wondering why not interview Mr Williams. Why the phone records?
Could this be moving towards the theory that Caylee's remains were not there, some one moved it to that location to frame Casey?
Deputy Cain phone records? Would this be his personal phone? If he was on Duty when he went to the location on Suburban would he be talking to dispatch on his personal cell phone?

I wonder if the toys smelled like smoke? CA threw out all the toys left for Caylees B-day for that reason.

Does anyone know where to find a copy of the defense's ORIGINAL subpoena duces tecum? I recall the hearing that Mr. Jay references and the dates being narrowed to a specific time frame. What I find totally ODD, is that Mr. Jay states in paragraph 1, that the subpoena was for TL's phone records from Jan. 1 2009 - the present. That is requesting records that are AFTER Caylee's remains were discovered.

Maybe this is a new subpoena duces tecum the defense tried to slip past Mr. Jay? :waitasec:

I was just about to ask why and when the defense asked for TL's phone records from January 2009 and beyond.

Does anyone know where to find a copy of the defense's ORIGINAL subpoena duces tecum? I recall the hearing that Mr. Jay references and the dates being narrowed to a specific time frame. What I find totally ODD, is that Mr. Jay states in paragraph 1, that the subpoena was for TL's phone records from Jan. 1 2009 - the present. That is requesting records that are AFTER Caylee's remains were discovered.

Maybe this is a new subpoena duces tecum the defense tried to slip past Mr. Jay? :waitasec:

In the Aug 21, 2009 Hearing Judge S. said: June 1st – Dec 18th 2008 phone records – Tony records submit to Court – served on AT&T – order to be done within 30 days

8/24/2009
Criminal Case Docket Updated!

CASE ACTIONS:
Docket Date---Defendant--------------------------------Docket Entry
8/21/2009---A---ORDER DEFENDANTS MOTION TO CERTIFY TIM MILLER AS A MATERIAL WITNESS COURT RESERVED RULING, MOTION FOR PROTECTIVE ORDER AND TO BAR PRIVLEDGED TESTIMONY, COURT RESERVED RULING, MOTION TO QUASH SUBPOENA DUCES TECUM (ANTHONY LAZARRO) COURT GRANTS RECORDS FROM PHONE CALSS FROM 6/1/08 - 12/18/08 TO BE SUBMITTED TO THE COURT WITHIN 30DAYS FOR IN CAMERA REVIEW.

I was just about to ask why and when the defense asked for TL's phone records from January 2009 and beyond.

I think it was late year when TL was being considered by defense as the "suspect du jour".

In the Aug 21, 2009 Hearing Judge S. said: June 1st – Dec 18th 2008 phone records – Tony records submit to Court – served on AT&T – order to be done within 30 days

8/24/2009
Criminal Case Docket Updated!

CASE ACTIONS:
Docket Date---Defendant--------------------------------Docket Entry
8/21/2009---A---ORDER DEFENDANTS MOTION TO CERTIFY TIM MILLER AS A MATERIAL WITNESS COURT RESERVED RULING, MOTION FOR PROTECTIVE ORDER AND TO BAR PRIVLEDGED TESTIMONY, COURT RESERVED RULING, MOTION TO QUASH SUBPOENA DUCES TECUM (ANTHONY LAZARRO) COURT GRANTS RECORDS FROM PHONE CALSS FROM 6/1/08 - 12/18/08 TO BE SUBMITTED TO THE COURT WITHIN 30DAYS FOR IN CAMERA REVIEW.

Okay, so by Sept. 21, 2009 we can assume that TL had complied with Judge Strickland's order and turned over the records from 6/01/08 - 12/18/08.

I don't understand the need for the motion to quash. Judge Strickland had already ruled on the original one.

Maybe the defense tried to slip another one past Mr. Jay and he's filing to have it quashed and make sure HHJP is aware of the original order issued by Strickland. :waitasec:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mel@news
Back