2011.05.05 Verdict Watch (day 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
BBM

Are you referring to the guy who said he worked for the FBI, but his business cards said otherwise (because in his experience people would distrust anybody from the FBI)? The same guy who put the top secret evidence in an apartment drawer when he went on vacation?

No JW

Even when that "FBI" guy said he couldn't explain why those files had invalid timestamps?

He did but was asked if there was evidence of tampering he said no. Also said all changes happened due to normal updates did he not?

I have been a member of GOLO for years and have commented extensively on several murder trials...I admit that I am an armchair detective. I have never seen the GOLO board resort to personal attacks like I have in this trial. Because I believe that Brad is guilty I have been accused of being a Cary housewife and one poster even accused me of being Jessica Adam (which apparently is the same as calling me a murderer in this person's opinion). My question is...WHY? What is it about this trial that is so emotional for people? Why are so many people so determined to defend Brad? Most of us who feel he is guilty are not suggesting that Nancy did not make mistakes, etc...but it's reached a point where you don't really feel "safe" commenting over there anymore. I am just wondering if others have a perspective for why this has occurred w/ this trial?

I know what your talking about because I've seen the same thing. As far as why this case is so polarizing I can think of a few reasons:

1 - This happened in Cary and you should know that everyone has a perception of Cary (unfair or not).

2 - Remember that the media should not go without blame here in how they have portrayed this case, especially in the early going. Do you remember GOLO when NC went missing and how everyone was pointing the finger at BC?

3 - Taking point 2, a lot of people looking at this from a distance see this as a rush to judgement (whether he's guilty or not).

There are more reasons, but those are primary ones as to why people side with BC.

I think a lot of people abused the triple coupons too. I knew people who would have 5 VIC cards and go repeatedly and scoop everything up. But you're right - the Super Doubles are awesome. I used to go very early in the a.m. when the store was empty - walking proudly with my coupon binder. Now my lonely binder sits down in my cellar.

I think you mentioned one time that coupon shopping really could have benefited the Coopers and you were so right!

I don't get to use coupons much because I don't buy many boxed items, commercial foods. I use BJ's coupons for bulk buying, like laundry detergent, paper towels, soap and tp, but other than that, we mostly buy organic and fresh foods. Even frozen vegetables, I only buy organic and it's rare to find coupons for stuff like that.

I agree...one of things that makes me dislike how the judicial process works. Some of this stuff should be outa bounds and left alone.

As a mock juror I saw the deliberations go one way. Once they brought the My Space information (before FB) in wow did peoples opinions change. This stuff is coming back to bite people in the butt in school applications, job interviews, and now we see legal battles. I am sure this will grow in more ways than we can even anticipate.

I have been a member of GOLO for years and have commented extensively on several murder trials...I admit that I am an armchair detective. I have never seen the GOLO board resort to personal attacks like I have in this trial. Because I believe that Brad is guilty I have been accused of being a Cary housewife and one poster even accused me of being Jessica Adam (which apparently is the same as calling me a murderer in this person's opinion). My question is...WHY? What is it about this trial that is so emotional for people? Why are so many people so determined to defend Brad? Most of us who feel he is guilty are not suggesting that Nancy did not make mistakes, etc...but it's reached a point where you don't really feel "safe" commenting over there anymore. I am just wondering if others have a perspective for why this has occurred w/ this trial?

MissT, I've wondered about that as well. What is it about Brad Cooper that people feel so passionate about? Is it because the crime occurred in Cary? Would he garner the same support if it had happened in Raleigh? Or in Morrisville? Or how about if it happened in Youngsville or Clayton? Is it because the guy is super bright but then did some dumb things? You can't just say he was railroaded--you at least have to look at things Brad did that put him right where he is. And yes, he made several mistakes. Computer ones, lying, just to start. Is it because of Nancy? People secretly hate the victim? I can't figure it out. Cary PD just arrested an 18 yr old for multiple thefts--it's in the paper and on WRAL. Why is no one decrying that arrest as a "rush to judgment?" Heck it was in Cary, afterall. Where are the supporters for him?

This is my guess as well. I can see 1 or 2 jurors saying,

"but why was he up that early buying laundry detergent"
"it wasn't even the brand they used" (JA testimony sticking in someone's head)

The DEF exhibits requested would answer those. I can't think of another reason for the jury requesting those 2 records specifically and none of the State's records re: HT purchases.

What's really interesting is that they have not requested anything (at least yet) related to computer forensics. If they were all sold on the google map, there is no need for these BJ and HT records is there?

I was thinking similarly... they've requested none of the computer forensic/router info. Maybe they've decided that it was all too questionable and they're going to ignore it altogether. I think that would hurt the defense more than the prosecution

Generally you dont want to drink milk before anything cardio intensive because it can mess with your lungs. At least thats what my trainer told me so dont hold me to it. Afterwards its great for recovery (With some chocolate in it) but like BR said, I dont see anything unusual about buying these items. Bananas are great to prevent cramping which can be an issue if you havent logged a lot of miles on a bicycle. I've never tried green juice nor do I have any desire to.

I'm not a runner but my favorite thing is protein smoothies. I blend ice, juice, vanilla whey protein, Greek yogurt (no aspartame or artificial sweeteners), 1/2 banana, 1 tsp organic coconut oil. SO good and definitely gives me an energy boost. I'm drinking one right now.

Why are so many people so determined to defend Brad? Most of us who feel he is guilty are not suggesting that Nancy did not make mistakes, etc...but it's reached a point where you don't really feel "safe" commenting over there anymore. I am just wondering if others have a perspective for why this has occurred w/ this trial?

Many believe that BC should not have even been indicted, and that there was both insufficient evidence and plenty of reasonable doubt, even in October 2008.

Many believe that the CPD allowed a certain group to unduly influence (at the very least) the investigation, and therefore not investigate any possible alternatives. There are several alternatives which were dismissed out of hand by CPD: random, friend, aquaintance - each scenario supported by some CE, some are supported by the same type of CE being used against BC.

This case is not your typical "husband kills wife and though the evidence is stacked against him he denies it" case. There is physical evidence in this case which was never tested because the result would not bolster the State's case (or might be exculpatory). There was potentially exculpatory evidence destroyed by CPD (NC BB)...and when the most plausible explanation for that is that is was deliberate, you know this isn't your run of the mill prosecution of a husband who killed wife.

I think emotions are running high because there is the appearance that some are convicting BC simply for being a certain person painted by the media and the State over that last 3 years, and those same people are ignoring/dismissing/selectively interpretting any evidence which points to BC's innocence, because it doesn't fit their preconceived notions of BC over the past 3 years, doesn't fit their preconceived notions that the husband is always guilty.

Before the trial started, I thought he was G.

I don't get to use coupons much because I don't buy many boxed items, commercial foods. I use BJ's coupons for bulk buying, like laundry detergent, paper towels, soap and tp, but other than that, we mostly buy organic and fresh foods. Even frozen vegetables, I only buy organic and it's rare to find coupons for stuff like that.

I agree. A lot of junk food. But great for paper products and toiletries!

So it's the prosecution's fault that there wasn't enough direct and forensics evidence for your liking? The prosecution and police deal with the cards they are dealt. Second, it's the juries job to determine what the facts are and how relevant they are. Obviously, the Prosecution took all the time they could getting as much circumstantial evidence to the jury, hence the length of the trial. Also, the FBI guy never thought to say there was no tampering...because he saw no proof that there was. Tough to testify about something that the defense hadn't brought up yet.

Did it ever occur to you that maybe, just maybe, there isn't enough direct and forensic evidence in this case, cause maybe they got the wrong guy?????

And there was no FBI guy, he was Durham PD office (of Duke LAX fame) seconded to the FBI via a joint task force. His experience in Puter forensics was a whole 5 computers......

As to the cards the the Pros and CPD were dealt, those were the cards they choose to play, a more through investigation may have reviled other cards, that were completely overlooked.

Tunnel vision, and group think can inflect all organizations, even competent ones..........

I was thinking similarly... they've requested none of the computer forensic/router info. Maybe they've decided that it was all too questionable and they're going to ignore it altogether. I think that would hurt the defense more than the prosecution

True, that could go either way really.

I agree...one of things that makes me dislike how the judicial process works. Some of this stuff should be outa bounds and left alone.

Not to mention it should have been ruled clearly inadmissible.

I'm not a runner but my favorite thing is protein smoothies. I blend ice, juice, vanilla whey protein, Greek yogurt (no aspartame or artificial sweeteners), 1/2 banana, 1 tsp organic coconut oil. SO good and definitely gives me an energy boost. I'm drinking one right now.

that. sounds. delicious!!!!!!!

thanks for the recipe! I'm gonna try it :)

Did it ever occur to you that maybe, just maybe, there isn't enough direct and forensic evidence in this case, cause maybe they got the wrong guy?????

And there was no FBI guy, he was Durham PD office (of Duke LAX fame) seconded to the FBI via a joint task force. His experience in Puter forensics was a whole 5 computers......

As to the cards the the Pros and CPD were dealt, those were the cards they choose to play, a more through investigation may have reviled other cards, that were completely overlooked.

Tunnel vision, and group think can inflect all organizations, even competent ones..........

Apparently the defense couldn't come with any other cards that you say were overlooked...besides wild claims of tampering....and Rosemary Zednik and Food Lion guy (whom I still don't believe knew NC from the meat dept at Food Lion...when HT and BJs were their main grocery stores)...who contradict each other on the jogging timeline. Both say they saw her around 7:10am-ish...in 2 different locations.

MissT, I've wondered about that as well. What is it about Brad Cooper that people feel so passionate about? Is it because the crime occurred in Cary? Would he garner the same support if it had happened in Raleigh? Or in Morrisville? Or how about if it happened in Youngsville or Clayton? Is it because the guy is super bright but then did some dumb things? You can't just say he was railroaded--you at least have to look at things Brad did that put him right where he is. And yes, he made several mistakes. Computer ones, lying, just to start. Is it because of Nancy? People secretly hate the victim? I can't figure it out. Cary PD just arrested an 18 yr old for multiple thefts--it's in the paper and on WRAL. Why is no one decrying that arrest as a "rush to judgment?" Heck it was in Cary, afterall. Where are the supporters for him?

These are fair questions and I think the fact that this happened in Cary plays a large role. We know that CPD failed to adhere to SOP in this case (Diet Coke, swiping phone data, etc.) and a lot of people that live in the area understand how important those "best of" lists are to Caryites, so that immediately raises a red flag for a portion of the community.

Add to that the fact that CPD bought into the soccer mom/housewife theory of events immediately -- I'm still trying to figure out who planted the info in July '08 that BC bought bleach at 4am on the 12th -- and there is plenty of reasons to be concerned about justice not playing out the way it should.

And that's before we even get to the trial and realize that the prosecution delivered a weak case that left some observers feeling as though this case should have never gone to trial in the first place.

I've said before that I think BC likely committed this crime, but LE and prosecution have dropped the ball in being able to prove his guilt. And for that I'm furious at how this case has played out. It's nothing against NC -- God rest her soul -- but BC is deserving of much better treatment from the state of N.C.

He did but was asked if there was evidence of tampering he said no. Also said all changes happened due to normal updates did he not?

So if you can't explain why the files have invalid timestamps....and invalid timestamps are one of the things that occurs when someone tampers with a PC (not the only thing), then how can you conclusively say that tampering didn't occur? I found that statement from CC to be completely ridiculous.

I desperately want to believe the google search was real. Makes all of this really easy in my book and got me from innocent to way on the guilty side. Yet the State didn't offer a single witness or even a single theory as to why those files were in the state they were, except to throw out in closing that Vista is buggy. BS. That was their case and they let the defense plant plenty of doubt as to the validity of it. And their own expert witness and only say I have no idea why those files have invalid timestamps.

ETA: And no, he pointed out the ones that were done via updates. The ones associated with the search are the ones he said he had no idea how why they had invalid timestamps.

I think the deposition is a double edged sword. Some say they will see all of BC lies. I would challenge that most of those "lies" would only be considered lies if you find the state's witnesses to be credible.

Yet, we must not forget that Kurtz said in opening statements that Brad admits to lying in his deposition. Maybe it's just me but if I were ever in a situation where I believed I was a suspect I would tell the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

I've seen this downplaying of the state's witness before and I have before posted that he was a "Durham police detective assigned to the FBI's Cyber Task Force". Was either of the defence witnesses assigned to that task force? no. Tunnel vision can go both ways sometimes.
I also think one thing that can not be addressed is that most people who know him assumed he was guilty, maybe it was a false assumption, but if most people think he did it that know him that won't look good to a jury.
Direct evidence like hair and blood could be explained away as they lived together, what would her hair in the trunk mean? I think it's more suspicious there was none! Had a thourough cleaning obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarti