2023 Hurricane and Tropical Weather

During Sandy we had storm surge and lost everything, including the outdoor grill.

We did have a gas stove so I we were able to cook macaroni and cheese and soup because we lost all refrigerator/freezer items in the flooding.

We lived on peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for a few days until water subsided.

Eventually, the roads opened up and Red Cross started delivering hot meals once a day which was wonderful after having spent all day struggling to pull carpets, throw out furniture, and Sheetrock, it was nice to have a full hot meal that you didn’t have to stop working to cook.

During Sandy we had storm surge and lost everything, including the outdoor grill.

We did have a gas stove so I we were able to cook macaroni and cheese and soup because we lost all refrigerator/freezer items in the flooding.

We lived on peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for a few days until water subsided.

Eventually, the roads opened up and Red Cross started delivering hot meals once a day which was wonderful after having spent all day struggling to pull carpets, throw out furniture, and Sheetrock, it was nice to have a full hot meal that you didn’t have to stop working to cook.
Sorry you went through all that!

Tropical Storm Margot continues to strengthen and likely to become a hurricane this week. Hurricane Lee continues to swirl in the Central Atlantic. The National Hurricane Center is also tracking Invest 97L and another disturbance off Africa.

Ole’ Barney….my old stomping ground! Sorry you had to endure that.

Does anyone have recommendations for good foods to cook or meal prep ahead for a hurricane?

I’ve made healthy-ish 50% whole wheat sour dough cinnamon buns with pecans that were great during storms. They last for days and one replaces a meal, but they’re kind of heavy.

Soups maybe? Banana bread with nuts? Salad prep? What do you usually prepare?
Since you typically lose power and could possibly lose water, I make individual packages of food and freeze them. You won't be able to wash dishes even if you have water, because the water will be cold.

I bake breads (banana, zucchini) in little loaves, then wrap them individually and put them in the freezer.

I bake a batch of cookies and wrap them in saran wrap, 2 or 3 to a pack, put them in a big baggie and freeze them.

I make macaroni and cheese, put it in an 8x8 foil pan, pop it in the freezer. My recipe makes 2 pans, that way there usually isn't any leftovers to store. I heat the pans on the grill and toss them out when empty. You could do the same thing with spaghetti, scalloped potatoes, meatloaf, etc. Just grill the things first that spoil the quickest, like meat.

Corn on the cob can be cooked, wrapped in foil, frozen then put on the grill. Take some chopped veggies, sprinkle them with seasonings, add a few pats of butter and close up the foil packets, freeze. We set them in the coals to cook.

Invest 97L
As of 00:00 UTC Sep 11, 2023:

Maximum Winds: 25 kt Gusts: N/A
Minimum Central Pressure: 1012 mb
Environmental Pressure: N/A
Radius of Circulation: N/A
Radius of Maximum wind: 80 nm

Since you typically lose power and could possibly lose water, I make individual packages of food and freeze them. You won't be able to wash dishes even if you have water, because the water will be cold.

I bake breads (banana, zucchini) in little loaves, then wrap them individually and put them in the freezer.

I bake a batch of cookies and wrap them in saran wrap, 2 or 3 to a pack, put them in a big baggie and freeze them.

I make macaroni and cheese, put it in an 8x8 foil pan, pop it in the freezer. My recipe makes 2 pans, that way there usually isn't any leftovers to store. I heat the pans on the grill and toss them out when empty. You could do the same thing with spaghetti, scalloped potatoes, meatloaf, etc. Just grill the things first that spoil the quickest, like meat.

Corn on the cob can be cooked, wrapped in foil, frozen then put on the grill. Take some chopped veggies, sprinkle them with seasonings, add a few pats of butter and close up the foil packets, freeze. We set them in the coals to cook.
Boy am I glad I don't live in a hurricane/tropical storm area any more!

In 1960, my family was transferred to Houston from the Chicago area. About a year after we moved (Sept. 1961), Hurricane Carla hit, the eye went over our house. We were living in SE Houston (LaPorte) just off the Bay.

Those are my first memories as a young child. Water (storm surge) flooding our house. My mom told stories of the eerie quiet when the eye came over our our house. She also mentioned hearing the sound of birds. Birds inevitably get trapped (and relocated) in the eye of a Hurricane. During the time the eye hit, we waded across the street (me on my father's shoulders) to seek refuge at our neighbor's house that was on higher ground than ours. My mom described the Hurricane as the only time in her life that she thought she might die. Good news is that we survived the Hurricane and she went on to live to the ripe old age of 93!

We live in Northern Illinois now, but i will never underestimate or forget the power and danger of a Hurricane.

I saw this article about a test to see if your frozen food is still good. It involves a frozen glass of water and a Quarter. Makes sense to me!

I'll be hoping and praying you all stay safe this season.

Take care all!

The National Hurricane Center is also issuing advisories for two other disturbances in the Atlantic Basin.

The first, Invest 97L, is located several hundred miles west-southwest of the Cabo Verde Islands and producing disorganized showers and thunderstorm activity. The National Hurricane Center says 97L remains disorganized and has a low, 10% chance of forming into a tropical depression over the next week.

Another area worth watching is the tropical wave, dubbed Invest 98L, in the far eastern Atlantic between the Cabo Verde Islands and the west coast of Africa. According to the National Hurricane Center, environmental conditions appear favorable for a tropical depression to form by the coming weekend. In the meantime, there is no chance of development in the next two days and a 70% chance of development over the next week.

If this system becomes the next named storm of the season, it would become Tropical Storm Nigel.

Tropical-Overview-2.png

Invest 98L
As of 00:00 UTC Sep 12, 2023:

Maximum Winds: 25 kt Gusts: N/A
Minimum Central Pressure: 1009 mb
Radius of Maximum wind: 80 nm

The NHC is also tracking a tropical wave that moved off the coast of Africa this week that has grown into a broad area of low pressure with disorganized showers and thunderstorms. It’s now approaching the central tropical Atlantic well southwest of the Cape Verde Islands.

“This system is expected to consolidate, with a low on the western side becoming dominant over the next day or two,” forecasters said. “Gradual development of the low is expected after that, and a tropical depression is likely to form by this weekend while the system moves west-northwestward or northwestward at about 15 mph across the central tropical Atlantic.”

The NHC gives it a 30% chance to form in the next two days and 80% in the next seven.

If it grows into named-storm strength, it could become Tropical Storm Nigel, the 14th named storm of the 2023 Atlantic hurricane season that runs through Nov. 30.

Tropical Storm NIGEL
As of 12:00 UTC Sep 17, 2023:

Maximum Winds: 50 kt Gusts: N/A
Minimum Central Pressure: 997 mb
Radius of Maximum wind: 40 nm
50 kt Wind Radii by Quadrant:

Hopefully, it will remain a fish spinner.

Nigel formed as a tropical depression on Friday, at which time forecasters called for the storm to be at least a Category 3 hurricane by Tuesday, though the NHC said that “forecast could be conservative.”
In a Sunday morning update, the NHC said it still expects rapid intensification over the next two to three days and it expects Nigel to peak as a Category 3 hurricane.

1695073858546.png

Nigel’s winds have increased to 80 mph, with higher gusts. Meteorologists said Nigel is forecast to rapidly strengthen into a major hurricane on Tuesday. It could start weakening late Wednesday.

As of Monday’s forecast, the NHC has Nigel staying out to sea.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShareShannonsStory
Back