4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 74

Status
Not open for further replies.
Snipped your long post for focus. I agree - I checked the lists of item seized and there are no zip lock/plastic bags of trash listed as seize from the PA house. It makes sense to me that if BK was bagging rubbish in this way at the kitchen table when the warrant was executed, those baggies would have been taken. Just as the baggies were taken from the car when searched under warrant. MOO but I am taking note of that word apparently in the MSM report under discussion.
Agreed. If indeed he was actually doing what is said, I would suspect those ziploc bag(s) would've been the first thing they would've taken and documented. imo.

I 'assumed' that the flashlight and gloves on the receipt list taken from BK's 'person', were in his pockets. jmo. We also know that the four swabs were not found inside the family home, but were taken by LE.. so common sense, imho, would indicate same for his 'person' list.
Common sense is helpful but not when published articles conflict with conclusions drawn that way. The article seems to say the named source said the swab was on him when he was arrested. If it was, that's definitely interesting.
JMO

Snipped your long post for focus. I agree - I checked the lists of item seized and there are no zip lock/plastic bags of trash listed as seize from the PA house. It makes sense to me that if BK was bagging rubbish in this way at the kitchen table when the warrant was executed, those baggies would have been taken. Just as the baggies were taken from the car when searched under warrant. MOO but I am taking note of that word apparently in the MSM report under discussion.
Trash wasn't taken because it wasn't listed on the search warrant.

2.) Identify specifically the property to be seized.....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230307-102835.png
    Screenshot_20230307-102835.png
    536.3 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20230307-104006.png
    Screenshot_20230307-104006.png
    395.1 KB · Views: 16
It could be either who knows...LE very well could have brought the swabs if they were planning on getting anyone besides BKs DNA or it could be bad writing...the "baggies" are a mystery...and I don't see the big deal over a "leafy green item" that has been legal in PA since 2018, unless it is an endangered plant...it is almost like they published an overblown fake warrant to give people something to talk about.
Medical marijuana is legal in PA, recreational is not.

Will Pennsylvania legalize marijuana under Josh Shapiro?

I'd think if there was a question about the green stuff it would be seized. And if it is was, it would be on the published list. Heck, Valium is legal with a prescription but a bottle of Valium would likely have been seized too.

If they were "planning on" getting anyone's DNA besides BK's that wasn't in the published search warrant. And I'm not sure they could get a warrant for his parents' DNA.
JMO

I wonder why he didn't separate his trash in the 1st place? What made him get up @ 4 am and do it then? Did he wake up in a cold sweat and suddenly fear that the FBI was sitting out front, ready to check the trash cans?
Seems that it was only 1:30 a.m. when he was supposedly separating his trash when the FBI raided the PA house. He probably hadn't gone to bed yet.

But agree, it does speak to his paranoia about the trash cans, if true.

Yes, the 'apparently' might imply that the speaker is questioning or is unsure of the reliability or accuracy of what he was told occurred.

ETA: MOO, spelling
Exactly. For me personally, if I am restating something someone has told me, I will not relay it to others as 'fact', I will hedge that with 'apparently', or 'so-and-so said whatever', etc.

Common sense is helpful but not when published articles conflict with conclusions drawn that way. The article seems to say the named source said the swab was on him when he was arrested. If it was, that's definitely interesting.
JMO
Which article are you referring to in which 'the named source said the swab was on him when he was arrested'?

Which article are you referring to in which 'the named source said the swab was on him when he was arrested'?
This article in which Monroe County First Assistant Michael Mancuso is quoted at various points

also says:

"The warrant shows he had on him at the time:
A SILVER FLASHLIGHT
FOUR MEDICAL-STYLE GLOVES
A LARGE T-SHIRT (Arizona Jean Co.)
A LARGE BLACK SWEATSHIRT (Washington State Cougars)
A PAIR OF BLACK AND WHITE SIZE 13 SHOES (Nike)
A PAIR OF BLACK SOCKS (Under Amour)
BLACK SHORTS (Under Armour)
BLACK BOXERS (Under Armour)
ONE CHEEK SWAB"

This article in which Monroe County First Assistant Michael Mancuso is quoted at various points

also says:

A SILVER FLASHLIGHT
ONE CHEEK SWAB"

I suspect the actual LE report said something like "the following items were taken from BK at that time" and some journalist rephrased the "taken from" to "on him at the time" without noticing that one item on the list didn't make sense with that phrasing. MOO

Trash wasn't taken because it wasn't listed on the search warrant.

2.) Identify specifically the property to be seized.....
Could this trash in the process of being put in ziplock bags be the item listed as "item photographed but not taken" on the list of items seized from his parents home?

Well, at that point, he had not been arrested and didn't know there was an arrest warrant (based on DNA taken from the neighbors' trash!) He was trying to keep that arrest warrant from happening!

So, having started this business of segregating his own DNA from the parental trash bin (he thinks LE is only looking at Kohberger trash), he keeps it up. There is likely some element of either true panic or magical thinking or both in this effort.

He doesn't want the FBI/LE to get his DNA. He KNOWS he left DNA at the crime scene, IMO (and even without the sheath, there are newer DNA collection techniques that might have gotten his DNA from other places - including the bodies - of the victims).

I figure that they ran the sheath immediately (2 hour test for 1 source DNA; operated from a van of which the FBI has many - at least one was on scene at 1122 King, IRRC, by about Day 2-3 of the investigation).

So, they knew the DNA profile of the perp. Kohberger almost certainly hypothesized that they knew they had the DNA - and that the only way to tie it to him was to get his DNA, somehow - or his parents' DNA.

I guess he ought to have gotten rid of even the trash his parents might have touched (!) The futility of trying to hide one's DNA (or one's parents' DNA or one's larger family's DNA) from the FBI/nationwide DNA databases should have been clear to him before the crime, but he was somehow unable to keep himself from committing the crimes.
IMO, the sheaf was left behind accidently. When did the killer realize it was still at the CS? Hard to say, but most likely pretty early on he was aware he may have left DNA behind. That sheaf, as 10ofRods suggests, was probably analyzed immediately, yielding a male profile.
The killer may have thought (hoped) he left no DNA behind, but if so, he had to prevent his DNA from being obtained. He also had to attempt to eliminate/remove any possible victim DNA from his person, car, apartment.
This would involve making sure no water bottles, Starbucks cups, napkins, food etc were ever thrown away in public trash cans (office, cafeteria, classroom). Trash would have to be hoarded, if you will. But how to privately dispose? Place is small bags, and randomly leave around town at night when few to no witnesses. This strategy would also be used for disposing of trash from car and apartment cleaning. I believe, IMOO, this behavior prevented LE from obtaining his DNA sooner, as he was identified as a POI as early as late November. LE could not yet search his car, office, apartment. Where was he putting his trash?

Could this trash in the process of being put in ziplock bags be the item listed as "item photographed but not taken" on the list of items seized from his parents home?
I think it wasn't taken because... it was household trash. I'm sure they sorted through the trash to check for any items of evidentiary importance, but it really was just run-of-the-mill household trash.

Possible.

They were looking for some items that are commonly found in the trash like empty alcohol containers, empty pill bottles and receipts for these items.

"Alcoholic beverages, other intoxicants, and any containers or receipts for the same."

A prescription was seized.

I can't find anything that would explain why the police would photograph an item during a search but not take it. I know police sometimes photograph a license, but a license was actually seized (I assume BK's)
from the Pennsylvania house.

Sometimes police will take a photo of a document, but documents were seized from the Pennsylvania house.

JMO

also says:

A SILVER FLASHLIGHT
ONE CHEEK SWAB"
The article is not quoting a named source, as you have indicated, to say the swab was 'on him when he was arrested', instead, it states:
"The warrant shows he had on him at the time: .... ONE CHEEK SWAB"

But the inclusion of the swab on the 'person' receipt is the same as the warrant shows on the receipt from the family home when it says 4 swabs, which we know were not collected from the home, but administered to BK and then taken/collected.

It seems to instead be the reporter's own interpretation, which seems to be different from others, as indicated by the quotes I posted upthread. Common sense seems to prevail, but perhaps this particular reporter was a little deficient in that regard, imho.

also says:

A SILVER FLASHLIGHT
ONE CHEEK SWAB"
Random thought late last night headed to my bathroom. Why the flashlight? Because the lights were OFF. I'm thinking BK was in the dark kitchen using the flashlight to see while separating his trash. Lights off. SWAT raiders had no idea what room BK was in because the house was dark; would also explain why so many windows and doors were broken.

As someone else said "my theories make sense to me."
jmo

IMO, the sheaf was left behind accidently. When did the killer realize it was still at the CS? Hard to say, but most likely pretty early on he was aware he may have left DNA behind. That sheaf, as 10ofRods suggests, was probably analyzed immediately, yielding a male profile.
The killer may have thought (hoped) he left no DNA behind, but if so, he had to prevent his DNA from being obtained. He also had to attempt to eliminate/remove any possible victim DNA from his person, car, apartment.
This would involve making sure no water bottles, Starbucks cups, napkins, food etc were ever thrown away in public trash cans (office, cafeteria, classroom). Trash would have to be hoarded, if you will. But how to privately dispose? Place is small bags, and randomly leave around town at night when few to no witnesses. This strategy would also be used for disposing of trash from car and apartment cleaning. I believe, IMOO, this behavior prevented LE from obtaining his DNA sooner, as he was identified as a POI as early as late November. LE could not yet search his car, office, apartment. Where was he putting his trash?
When BK's vehicle was stopped by LE on his way to PA, it looked to me as if the car was very dirty and had not been cleaned any time recently. I wonder why he wouldn't have washed his car thoroughly inside and out, long before arriving in PA?

Possible.

They were looking for some items that are commonly found in the trash like empty alcohol containers, empty pill bottles and receipts for these items.

"Alcoholic beverages, other intoxicants, and any containers or receipts for the same."

A prescription was seized.

I can't find anything that would explain why the police would photograph an item during a search but not take it. I know police sometimes photograph a license, but a license was actually seized (I assume BK's)
from the Pennsylvania house.

Sometimes police will take a photo of a document, but documents were seized from the Pennsylvania house.
Maybe it was a part of the house that they were unable to take, without causing a lot of damage, more damage than breaking the glass and their front door. Like something written on a wall or some such thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarthaPrirl