4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, Nov 2022 #89

Status
Not open for further replies.
JMO but I don’t think he disposed of his clothing or the weapon that night. My best guess is that he wore coveralls and booties and removed them when he got back to his apartment. I believe he disposed of them the next day when he took that trip. I wonder if LE tried to find the weapon. I suppose he could have put it in someone’s garbage anywhere along the route and that would be nearly impossible to locate. If he thought he wasn’t a suspect, might have dumped the items in a gas station or fast food dumpster. JMO

JMO but I don’t think he disposed of his clothing or the weapon that night. My best guess is that he wore coveralls and booties and removed them when he got back to his apartment. I believe he disposed of them the next day when he took that trip. I wonder if LE tried to find the weapon. I suppose he could have put it in someone’s garbage anywhere along the route and that would be nearly impossible to locate. If he thought he wasn’t a suspect, might have dumped the items in a gas station or fast food dumpster. JMO
My thought is that after the murders, maybe he stashed his stuff quickly in some rural area south of Pullman, like near Busby or Staley Airport, which is why he took the Bishop Blvd route in to town. Then, when leaving Pullman on his way to Lewiston later that day, he took the same route out of town (per the PCA). Maybe he stopped to pick up the stuff and disposed of it during his outing to Lewiston.??? Jmo.

If it were me, I'd have stopped somewhere on the way and removed the plate, then afterwards, stopped somewhere to put it back on...

It's been noted previously that there was fog that morning, as well. He might have considered that as being in his favor.

Just an aside: I know *so* many students/grad students who think they know how to deal with something like removing a license plate, but don't. I use a simple in-classroom task to demonstrate this to them (a task that third graders can learn to do - but not all third graders can learn it; some people are seriously spatially challenged...)

I think BK might be in that group. Almost everyone thinks they can swap a license plate quickly (I always think I can do such things) but in real life, people like me cannot do this quickly. I need careful instructions.

I figure that if the murderer is BK, then he might well have overestimated his mechanical, spatial and other skills. Typical of a grad student, really. I already knew I was poor at real mechanical skills (don't ask me to design a heart valve! I know it's easy! Do not have me do it!)

I think a lot of social scientists are like me, from my own personal experience.

So it doesn't surprise me, that YOU, @Tl45 could swap the plate. But if I were doing it, especially at night and by the side of a road...I might be there so long that someone would notice - perhaps even stop to ask if I needed help.

And not being noticed was key in this crime.

IMO.

Great article about DNA and references trace/touch DNA.
Article details “mixture DNA” which I’ve wondered about in this case.
QUESTION (I haven’t slept in over 24 hours so please excuse the grammar!):The sheath was found ?under/side of MM so if blood/dna from both girls made contact with the sheath, and we know there is have touch DNA from BK, so hypothetically, if anyone else’s DNA had been found on the sheath, how hard would it have been to determine all of the mixtures?

Which is why it's SO great that on the sheath...it's SINGLE source (NOT mixed) DNA.

Mixed DNA has yet to enter the room, here.

IMO. (And I don't think it will unless they do consumptive testing of the sheath - in which case they will find bovine DNA - which in my opinion, is easily distinguished from individual human DNA0.

The affidavit also said Kohberger’s phone pinged near the girls’ home on King Road in Moscow at least 12 times in the months leading up to the murders.

“He was close enough that he was touching their wi-fi," Goncalves said.
Here's my question about that, so I can clarify it in my own mind-----

When I click on the wi-fi symbol on the top corner of my laptop, the one that shows how many bars I have, a list drops down of all the wifi routers in the immediate area. [if I click on 'other networks]

And those networks shown are the ones closest to my own router. They show my neighbours networks, and if I had their passwords I could log in.

And if I take my laptop to a coffee shop, my list of 'other networks' will show the coffee shops wifi, and also the T-Mobile store's wifi from next store

So was Conclaves saying that the King House network would have shown up on BK's 'other network' wifi list because he was so close to the house they overlapped?

When I click on the wi-fi symbol on the top corner of my laptop, the one that shows how many bars I have, a list drops down of all the wifi routers in the immediate area. [if I click on 'other networks]

And those networks shown are the ones closest to my own router. They show my neighbours networks, and if I had their passwords I could log in.

And if I take my laptop to a coffee shop, my list of 'other networks' will show the coffee shops wifi, and also the T-Mobile store's wifi from next store

So was Conclaves saying that the King House network would have shown up on BK's 'other network' wifi list because he was so close to the house they overlapped?
That is how I understood it.

Briefly, yes. There’s been some confusion that it meant BK was on the house’s wifi network, which of course spawned a bunch of conspiracies, but I think it was just that his phone was close enough to “see” their wifi router and exchange the basic “hi I’m here” info that these electronics exchange with each other.

That’s how I took it, but I’m not sure there’s anything of substance to back up the claim (other than obviously he’s close enough to join their WiFi when he’s inside the house committing a quadruple homicide). In my experience/opinion, routers won’t keep logs of any device that could potentially connect to it. It would be far too unwieldy. Only record would be if he actually connected to it.

MOO

Which is why it's SO great that on the sheath...it's SINGLE source (NOT mixed) DNA.

Mixed DNA has yet to enter the room, here.

IMO. (And I don't think it will unless they do consumptive testing of the sheath - in which case they will find bovine DNA - which in my opinion, is easily distinguished from individual human DNA0.
Could I please trouble you to explain consumptive testing? All of the below is pure hypothetical speculation on my part!

Hypothetically, if there was visible blood on the sheath, would swabbing that visible (in my speculative hypothetical) blood be considered consumptive testing?

And continuing in my hypothetical, if that swabbing found a blood mixture, is it possible to separate the DNA in a mixture if there were two (or more) contributors to the visible blood on a sheath?

All of the above are hypotheticals to try to better understand what others may already have an understanding about.

TIA for you patience educating people like me!

What I've never understood about this detail is how SG our anyone else knew he "touched" their wifi, if he did. Is every wifi a person has ever been near enough to detect stored somewhere on the device? What else could tell them this?

ETA: @m00c0w said it better above. So there are no logs of these "handshakes"?

Wouldn't he have been absolutely covered in blood / blood spatter? Also as we know at least one victim put up a ferocious fight and one he allegedly had 'done stuff' to.

Would he take the risk of transferring all that DNA and forensic evidence, maybe even stuff that a dog could scent, up into his own home? Then he'd be like a sitting duck covered in detritus in his own home. He wasn't to know that nobody alerted the police for many hours, they could have been after him instantaneously for all he knew. JMO MOO that he somehow had a better plan that that.*

*or was suicidal and no longer cared. As in the case of Elliot Rodger and his 'day of retribution' it was also the end for him. Maybe BK was 'surprised' by the lack of anyone alerting emergency services and hadn't expected to walk out of the house alive.

Just talking about his phone but not clear what that means

Briefly, yes. There’s been some confusion that it meant BK was on the house’s wifi network, which of course spawned a bunch of conspiracies, but I think it was just that his phone was close enough to “see” their wifi router and exchange the basic “hi I’m here” info that these electronics exchange with each other.
MOO Not "on," the wifi.
KGs dad said touched.
Just the wifi broadcasting and BKs phone seeing the WiFi a potential network.

That’s how I took it, but I’m not sure there’s anything of substance to back up the claim (other than obviously he’s close enough to join their WiFi when he’s inside the house committing a quadruple homicide). In my experience/opinion, routers won’t keep logs of any device that could potentially connect to it. It would be far too unwieldy. Only record would be if he actually connected to it.

MOO
I wonder if it’s different if it’s wifi that’s built into your internet provider’s modem. (I’ve always used my own router so no idea.)

If they seized the equipment right after the murders, I suppose there could be extremely short term logs …

I have this in saved docs just don’t have time to quote-I remember KG father stating that BK was close enough to the victims’ house to connect to their Wi-Fi. Anyone remember that?

I do too, though I heard him say it in an interview so if you do have a doc to link for this I think it would be great. IIRC it was something discovered by the family PI and I have been eager to learn anything more about this. Does that sound the same to you? TIA

jmo

ETA: Thank you @Cool Cats #133

MOO
Well … my router logs attempts to connect. It doesn’t keep a record of devices that just happen to be within range, but it does log identifying info of all attempts — successful or not — to connect to my network.

Without knowing more about their network’s specifics, we’re just shooting blind, MOO.

Also, as @TL4S already mentioned, I don’t know how SG would have had access to that kind of detailed investigative work?

It seems like they might be content picking and choosing which Elantras on video are BK.

The ones with corroborating cell tower data, BK. The ones without….maybe BK, maybe not.

Jury shouldn’t let that fly.

The defense has all of the tapes, don't they? If there are any other White Elantras in the video I'm sure they'll point this out.

jmo

I feel he probably tried to get close, tried to get an energetic hit off of them, asking himself was this the night? These things don't just happen in a vacuum.
[snipped by me]

This is speculation only. There were so many signs imo that were telling him to turn around and go home. That tonight was not the night, and he didn't - or he couldn't. I can't help but think he had this specific date planned to do it and had some compulsion that it had to be done on that date regardless of the many obstacles he encountered.

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members