8 Die in Crash on Taconic State Parkway #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just saw the movie. I firmly believe after beng refreshed by the film that the incident was medical. :abs do get samples mixed up

In this case, however, the samples were confirmed to be hers through DNA testing, so the samples did not get mixed up. The BAC and THC tests were completed twice, and indicated that she was, in fact, intoxicated.

I am glad to see this thread is alive here----I will never forget those haunting words--- somethings wrong with aunt diane

I'm glad to see the thread is still going too. I've read and followed a lot of cases/stories in my day but the Diane Schuler story truly is haunting, partly I think because of all the tragedy and loss and partly because we'll never know what truly happened that awful day - whether she did this intentionally (my opinion is that she did) or it was a tragic accident due to a very impaired driver. Haunting indeed.

I admit I'm not a heavy smoker of pot, but there's no way I could smoke "several joints" without falling asleep.

Lol, she probably did fall asleep, but hubby got her up early for the drive back home. She might have smoked up all weekend or baked 'brownies' for her and Danny, but he's not going to own up.

If Diane had only 3 or 4 hours sleep, she'd be wrecked with a massive headache, imo. Why she thought drinking her vodka would 'cure' it, is anybodies guess, I suppose true to form for an alcoholic.
As others have mentioned, she probably was in a bad mood with Danny. Why he didn't take one or two of the kids with him is a mystery too. :dunno:

Happy New Year Threadies!!!! Glad to see this is still being discussed....as stated well up-thread it is haunting........I have watched the doc many times and still am of the opinion that she was trying to cure a hangover (could not cure Danny of <modsnip> or laziness) and that she did have a substance problem (pot and alcohol). That being said I would love to see a recut of this doc with all the footage that did not make it to the doc.
Sadly, Danny surrounded himself with a veritable freak-show of "help" that did not help his shaky credibility. And very telling, the family members of his that would not speak on camera (to be fair maybe they are in the cut footage--IMO doubtful).

That's true. The documentary was made for us to draw certain conclusions regarding the people involved in this God awful tragedy. We only got to see the tip of that family's sturm and drang. Would be interesting if director Liz Garbus would make another documentary in a few years checking in on the families and see if the passage of time would allow them to be more forthcoming.

I just saw the movie. And followed intensify when it happened. I firmly believe after beg refreshed by the film that the incident was medical.: abs do get samples mixed up.

How do you get that from watching the film? In the film, we find out that the family hired their own experts to test the samples. First they tested to see if the samples were actually from Diane or if they had been "mixed up" and were actually taken from another person. Secondly, they tested to see if the tox screen done earlier was accurate. DNA testing proved they were indeed from Diane. The results of the first testing were confirmed by their own experts.

The notion that an individual can be impaired to the point that vision becomes that impaired, in all likelihood is a medical impossibility – the individual would pass out – stop breathing, and not be able to sit up driving position.

That's simply not true.

Diane's blood alcohol content was 0.19%

At this level:

BAC .18-.25
Drinkers are disoriented, confused, dizzy, and have exaggerated emotional states. Vision is disturbed, as is perception of color, form, motion, and dimensions.
Drinkers have increased pain threshold and lack of muscular coordination. Drinkers stagger or lose the ability to walk and have slurred speech. Apathy and lethargy are typical.[/quote]

http://www.intheknowzone.com/substance-abuse-topics/alcohol/bac.html

Isn't this still a victim-friendly site? Does that only apply to female victims?

I don't think it's inappropriate to discuss how Daniel may have inadvertently contributed to this tragedy, but calling him names ("a$$hole" and "lazy" and the like) for his alleged failings seems to me to violate TOS. Whatever he may have done or not done, Dan S. is a victim here, too.

Nova-------I am expressing my opinion only------I have always felt he knew alot more than he is admitting------perhaps he got the "bad guy" edit in the doc.

I was so obsessed with this case long before I knew about websleuths. I travel the roads in the doc alot. I live in Wantagh Long Island, and the SIL from the doc was working at my pharmacy up until about 2 years ago. I hear she took a great amount of abuse for defending Diane. But whenever I was in CVS, and someone recognized her, she really seemed to enjoy the attention. Anyway, this story has always haunted me, and I cannot ever drive upstate to my parents without having my mind wander to what was on Diane's mind that day, when she was on the same roads I am driving. I wish I had joined Websleuths then, as my poor family bore the brunt of my obsession at the time.

Isn't this still a victim-friendly site? Does that only apply to female victims?

I don't think it's inappropriate to discuss how Daniel may have inadvertently contributed to this tragedy, but calling him names ("a$$hole" and "lazy" and the like) for his alleged failings seems to me to violate TOS. Whatever he may have done or not done, Dan S. is a victim here, too.

He was MAD that she died he was left to raise his son alone, because he never wanted kids anyway. That tells me everything I need to know about him - he considers himself a victim because he has to be a father.

Wow...I was surprised to see this topic still being discussed...took me a while to read all the posts since the last time I added my two cents on this thread.

Anyway, as I've stated prior...I've watched the doc several times. Danny knows more than he admits - whether it be that he knows Diane had an alcohol problem or at the least was still drunk from the night before and would smoke weed and take "hair of the dog" to feel better....or.....that he knows the content of the telephone conversation Diane had with her brother and that it holds the key to unlock part of "why" this happened...we'll never know.

I will say this - the dynamic between Danny and Diane was unique; like her MIL states in the doc..."...Danny was like her oldest child...", that being said, I can only imagine what it would be like being in that marriage, and, with Diane being the "type A" go-go, take charge, get it done, make it perfect kind of person she was...I think she snapped.

Nova-------I am expressing my opinion only------I have always felt he knew alot more than he is admitting------perhaps he got the "bad guy" edit in the doc.

cawfee, I certainly didn't mean to pick on you (or anyone in particular). I don't know what Dan could know except that maybe he was aware of his wife's abuse of alcohol, in which case, he is guilty of refusing to speak ill of the dead. Surely we can understand the impulse, even if he is wrong to conceal info.

I want to be clear: I think the doc is excellent. But it is true that a single remark (such as Dan's "I didn't want children in the first place") can dominate our impression of a witness, when it may have been just a moment of self-pity.

There are LOTS of men out there who tend to leave the child-rearing and housekeeping to their wives. It ain't right, but it is how a lot of us were raised. If such was true of Dan, I can understand that he feels suddenly adrift in a world for which he was ill-prepared.

(Of course it SHOULD NOT be that way. I'm just saying in many families it is.)

He was MAD that she died he was left to raise his son alone, because he never wanted kids anyway. That tells me everything I need to know about him - he considers himself a victim because he has to be a father.

As I said above. It was one remark out of many. Haven't you ever had conflicting feelings about a situation?

In any event, it's not an excuse to call him names.

Nova----your post at 1937----no worries love-----I just wanted to clarify----I know the "tone of my type" so to speak can come out wrong sometimes----I usually talk and type at the same time (lol-- my neighbors love me) and try to keep a balanced tone. I have lashed out on a thread or few at a few guilty parties or those I felt had a share of guilt and culpability.

And of course he is the only one for me to yell at---------and her family did not involve themselves in the doc (which I agree with you----was excellent!!)

Nova----your post at 1937----no worries love-----I just wanted to clarify----I know the "tone of my type" so to speak can come out wrong sometimes----I usually talk and type at the same time (lol-- my neighbors love me) and try to keep a balanced tone. I have lashed out on a thread or few at a few guilty parties or those I felt had a share of guilt and culpability.

And of course he is the only one for me to yell at---------and her family did not involve themselves in the doc (which I agree with you----was excellent!!)

cawfee, I do exactly the same thing--on line and in real life! And I swear I didn't mean to pick on you or your posts (or anyone else in particular). While I'm at it, I guess I should also make it clear I am NOT a moderator. My opinions carry no special weight at WS.

I can understand why many believe Dan should have realized Diane was in trouble and done more to help her: that morning, the night before and in life in general. And perhaps he has lied to the press in the time since the accident, though if I may damn him with faint praise, he doesn't strike me as smart enough to do much conniving. I'd be more apt to believe he had been deluding himself for some time.

Either way, however, he still lost a wife and daughter, and his son is impaired. Maybe it was just frustration that led to the "Diane wanted the children" remark. After all, if they hadn't had children, maybe he'd still have a wife.

I still wish he hadn't said it (and I bet he does, too). I was just thinking out loud that if it's true victims get special treatment here, then Dan fits the definition, even if he did something unknowingly to contribute to the tragedy.

I get the distinct impression he feels his son is a double victim because if it were not for his mother, the child wouldn't exist and now he has to live both without her and his little sister and is also impaired for life.

Diane Schuler (sp.) wouldn't be the first woman to make a sort of devil's bargain with a man-child. She gets children, a family and a traditional home, while he runs with his dogs and does other "man" things. He gets a well-ordered house and time to pursue his hobbies.

If this was indeed the relationship of the Schulers, they were hardly unusual.

Several of you have far more compassion in your hearts than I'm capable of. You are good people.

Good points Nova--------I know what rankles (if thats even a word-lol) with me about Danny is his working the "single guy" shift--4 to 12----------I have cops in my family and to say that stopped when they married and became parents would be an understatement---------I would love to sit down with Diane's school friends and really hear their thoughts on Danny----IIRC Danny was a real wedge in the friendship-------I think Diane took a "love me / love my dog" position with regard to it.........hhhmmmmmmmmmmm......as more questions (and the fact I want another doc) swirl in my head!!!!!!!

http://www.tvgrapevine.com/2013-12-...5-film-review-sarah-silverman-in-i-smile-back

Sarah Silverman's deep-dive performance as a drug-addled New Jersey housewife elevates director Adam Salky's prosaic addiction drama.

"There are echoes here of real-life cases like that of Diane Schuler, the Long Island soccer mom who killed eight people while driving under the influence in 2009, and you come away from &#8220;I Smile Back&#8221; with a better sense of how something like that might happen."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meliMar