Abby & Libby - The Delphi Murders - Richard Allen Arrested - #179

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right, according to the SW he had over a dozen. Lots and lots of phones, and hard drives, thumb drives and such.

I know some people say a few older model cell phones are not unusual, and I agree, I have 2 myself. Now it's standard practice on most cellular plans to return the old phone when you upgrade to a newer model. But RA had over a dozen and some of those were prepaid phones. :oops:

Curious, I truly don't know why a person would keep that many? Maybe he has information or pictures saved on them he wouldn't want to lose? IDK because he obviously knows how to operate thumb drives and hard drives.

JMO
It was a family of three who owned those phones; not just him. IMO

I've never had to return a phone. I've never had a cell plan; always prepaid Tracfones.

It's easier to toss an old phone in a drawer than it is to transfer all the stuff out of it or wipe it or whatever you do to protect the contents. I throw mine in a drawer; I have quite a few.

I've never seen "geofences" mentioned until the D brought it up.
I had to strike the above because I just found where @Yemelyan mentioned geo fence in June of last year.

In Scene of the Crime, episode 4, Ives talks about the number of cell phones he subpoenaed within a 5 mile radius.
We have this link but it's no longer available on stitcher.

Here's a spotify link same as above but I don't know if it's approved and I don't have an account. Or, maybe there's something in our timeline/news thread.
Scene of the Crime is a podcast that lists Kelsi German as a consulting producer and Grey Hughes as a technical adviser. The thank-you notes list members of Libby's family and some very impressive investigators. This podcast is an approved source.
Tricia

Lots of people seem to think defense attorneys, in general, just lie out of their behinds as normal behavior, but it's not the case. They can't do that. These defense attorneys have backed up everything they've said with proof (although some of the proof could be open to interpretation).

Some of the truth open to interpretation possibly be that nothing connects RA to the crime scene? Wonder what the D definition to crime scene is?

I am just catching up on this past week because my oldest child was visiting for a few days,

I didn't think the defense could disgust me more than they already do, but here we go again. What are they doing?? RA deserves better than this because when he's found guilty, I'd like it to be with competent counsel.

When they misrepresent an expert witness so it better fits their theory it shows they are willing to stoop to low levels to get the public to believe there is some other explanation and their client is innocent. Facts can be set straight, but there will still be others pushing the Odin theory and claiming the state hid evidence to support it so they could frame RA.
Regarding their competency: The judge chose them. The Indiana Supreme Court found them competent.

Case # 23S-OR-00311 = An excerpt from their opinion:
Second, the only basis for disqualifying counsel was the special judge’s concern that they could not assist Allen with his defense effectively. Respondent’s Br. at 10–15. To be sure, the Sixth Amendment’s right to effective counsel “imposes a baseline requirement of competence on whatever lawyer is chosen or appointed.” Gonzalez‐Lopez, 548 U.S. at 148.

But there is no suggestion that Baldwin and Rozzi are out of their depth. Baldwin has over thirty years of experience representing thousands of clients around the state—including clients charged with murder, rape, robbery, burglary, and other violent offenses—and he has tried more than125 jury trials. Rozzi has over twenty years of the same experience, including three murder trials and a previous certification to handle death penalty cases.

Moreover, neither the State nor the special judge argue that counsel’s extrajudicial statements or the statements in their motion harmed Allen’s defense. They do argue the disclosure of case materials undermines Allen’s defense, but they don’t explain how. And they don’t argue these mistakes reflect that Baldwin and Rozzi are incompetent to handle Allen’s defense or explain why disqualification is necessary to protect Allen’s right to the effective assistance of counsel. Notably, neither the State nor the special judge direct us to any case concluding that issues like these—either in isolation or combination—rendered counsel constitutionally ineffective or were sufficient to warrant disqualification.

Thank you for posting this map. I wish it came with a link. May I assume you created it because I'd like to use it?

View attachment 495526

Where the pin is dropped for Down the Hill, the map shows the pin is at the private drive. Officially, that private drive is where N 625 W ends at the house on the hill at KW's (RIP). Going the opposite way is .9 miles to one of the victim's homes. I've often wondered what kept them from running down the private drive/N 625 W towards safety.
MP stated [paraphrased] if one of the girls had the chance to get away, they didn't but stayed together.
Were they tethered together? BG couldn't hold each one by the hand and his firearm at the same time.

edit to add MOO JMHOO
I have a quite a few similar maps.

My neighbor and I put together some of them before and After we went to the trails and bridge.
Some of the other ones I saved from articles so I will see if I can hunt down the articles also.

We did make some with distances between points of interest
and I do have some from online County maps and from geographical/land owners information also.
Those came from public records.

Apparently, according to my family, I was /am obsessed with saving everything -- overload.
BUT-- in my defense, I can usually find something from the beginning if needed LOL

Scene of the Crime is a podcast that lists Kelsi German as a consulting producer and Grey Hughes as a technical adviser. The thank-you notes list members of Libby's family and some very impressive investigators. This podcast is an approved source.
Tricia
Thank you. I found a link in our media thread that had been copied over from your announcement but it's now dead. I didn't know if Spotify was an approved source to share the episodes on.

It was a family of three who owned those phones; not just him. IMO

I've never had to return a phone. I've never had a cell plan; always prepaid Tracfones.

It's easier to toss an old phone in a drawer than it is to transfer all the stuff out of it or wipe it or whatever you do to protect the contents. I throw mine in a drawer; I have quite a few.
Interesting point FG. I find it's super simple to transfer data now, and it's a one button factory reset these days on most phones.

I do have a family member who also uses prepaid Tracphones because she doesn't like all the technology and only uses it to talk, occasionally text and takes pictures. It's much more cost effective for her too. No more $200 a month phone bill.

I can't remember if the SW listed if the phones recovered were on cellular plans or prepaid? Maybe it didn't break them down that far IDK.

JMO

Lots of people seem to think defense attorneys, in general, just lie out of their behinds as normal behavior, but it's not the case. They can't do that. These defense attorneys have backed up everything they've said with proof (although some of the proof could be open to interpretation).
Defense absolutely lied in their Emergency Motion to Modify Safekeeping.
It’s easy when it’s a black and white measurement section 8a.
Mr. Allen has been entombed in cell as small at 6 ft width by 10ft in length, a space no larger than a dog kennel.

This statement is a complete and total fabrication.

I feel that defense used these motions with the public in mind, not the court. I am not surprised to see a large, increasingly endless fundraising going on right now with little accounting or ethical consideration. I think this has always been the plan along with other big media plans in the future.
JMOhttps://interactive.wthr.com/pdfs/ALLEN-MOVE-PRISON-REQUEST-1.pdf

Defense absolutely lied in their Emergency Motion to Modify Safekeeping.
It’s easy when it’s a black and white measurement section 8a.
Mr. Allen has been entombed in cell as small at 6 ft width by 10ft in length, a space no larger than a dog kennel.

This statement is a complete and total fabrication.

I feel that defense used these motions with the public in mind, not the court. I am not surprised to see a large, increasingly endless fundraising going on right now with little accounting or ethical consideration. I think this has always been the plan along with other big media plans in the future.
JMOhttps://interactive.wthr.com/pdfs/ALLEN-MOVE-PRISON-REQUEST-1.pdf
I don't know about this (Which part is a lie? The dimensions of the cell or the use of the word "entombed?"), but I'm talking about the facts of the actual case/investigation and what they are accusing the State of doing (i.e. changing Betsy Blair's statements, not turning over Discovery for months and months after the deadline if at all, lying about not knowing who the professor was, etc.).

We have the list of evidence they seized that has a file date on it, so we can be fairly sure it's the final one. So IMO, that's all there is from his property unless they took out some things and forgot to list them OR there was a second search that we don't know about. I haven't found any evidence of more than one search on their home. The only boxes checked on the return are relating to his gun, ammo and vehicle. There is no lab analysis report on the carpet from his vehicle.
Thanks!
The lab analysis report on the gun is available; I'm assuming the report on the carpet would be, too; if it had come back with results.
Well everything comes back with results, right? Either positive for the P or potentially positive for the D? Some DNA would work nicely for me.
I think the D wants the bullet thrown out.
The bullet or the gun? I personally think the P would rather the bullet be thrown out, but that's just me. :p

I don't know about this (Which part is a lie? The dimensions of the cell or the use of the word "entombed?"), but I'm talking about the facts of the actual case/investigation and what they are accusing the State of doing (i.e. changing Betsy Blair's statements, not turning over Discovery for months and months after the deadline if at all, lying about not knowing who the professor was, etc.).
The basic measurements of the cell.
If defense cannot be trusted to tell the truth in the easily disproven fact,
How can one trust their statements when they are obviously manipulating them to suit their desires.
JMO
First lie only wins in a con game, not the legal realm. JMO
I would like to add I don’t believe all defense attorneys are unethical. I think many do an excellent job defending their client without muddying the whole legal system and causing the level of chaos and distrust this particular team has.
AMO

So cant find even what i found last night regarding a Robert Ives discussing "geofence."
He may have even been using the word "geofence" for cell tower dqta dump.
So disregard. The trial will be the only way the public will know the extent of the cell warrants.
I was just reading a trasnscript on here somewhere like that. Is that what you're thinking of? I bet I can find it.

Eta: Sorry, just this from the DTH podcast
NARRATOR: Let’s talk cell phones. For a lot of people who follow this case, the locations of cell phones– specifically the ones near The Monon High Bridge at the time of the murders– is a meaty topic of discussion. Whose phone is pinging where, and why? That was a major point of interest for investigators, too. And how that all works? There’s more to it than you might think.

ROBERT IVES: A frustrating thing… this is probably difficult to explain in the course of podcast… but the law on searches with relation to cell phones and cell phone locations was evolving right at the time this was going on, and I think some of the people discussing it didn’t always understand. Like, they would say “Well if you want to know a cell phone location, why don’t you get a search warrant?” And the problem with that is, let’s take this case, it’s a perfect example: There’s a tower near the crime scene and cell phones pinged off that tower around the time of the crime. We would like to know who they pinged off. Say, “well why don’t you get a search warrant?”. Because there is no probable cause to believe that any particular phone is going to tell us anything about the crime. There is no probable cause. People act like a search warrant is easy to get. No! Because we don’t think any particular phone is a criminal, but if we want to get a pool of 25 people who were in the area and therefore could possibly have committed the crime, you have to find out. And this is the difficulty of the modern electronic world. Of course, to look in your phone? I think clearly that’s a search warrant situation, that’s your private property. That’s like opening your house or going in your car in your person. But the location of your phone? I certainly understand people’s concerns about their privacy. ‘Why can the government figure out where I am?’ Then on the other hand, when your two little girls are dead and you want to find out who was nearby in the last 2 hours, it’s terrible not to be able to get that information. And the idea is, well, I’ll just get a search warrant. That’s not logically or legally practical. And so, this is something society has to think about more. Because cell phone location data for a case like this, which is a lot of what I was doing at that time, could potentially be really valuable. Because, you know, Carroll County: 380 square miles, 20,000 people. Very few people were out near that crime scene at the time. It’s not like…

BARBARA: –it’s a Monday afternoon.

ROBERT IVES: You aren’t going to ping on 500 phones at that period of time.

ANDREW: There are a lot of Feds looking at their cell phones, too.

ROBERT IVES: There were more FBI agents here than people can imagine! In my entire career, there was never in my entire career 1/10th as many FBI agents as who were here simultaneously!

Last edited:
What are the dimensions and how far off were they?
Oh! And do we know if he was in solitary confinement?
Thanks!
Btw, someone who has been in prison might tell you the tomb description is more accurate than you think.
I'm not the original poster, so hopefully they will have the link, but going off memory, I think there was an affidavit from the warden stating the cells were 8'x12'. I also seem to remember that the D stated they were not allowed to see his cell, so perhaps they estimated based on national average (6'x8' is what I've seen), or it's what RA or an employee said. I'm not sure, so IMOO.

People really didn't like the dramatic descriptions in that Safekeeping Motion. I guess, not knowing the actual truth, I feel like the D was in uncharted territories, fighting to have their client be moved to a location with conditions more in line with an in-custody defendant, vs. a convicted felon. If he had broken down and confessed under normal jailhouse conditions, being treated fairly as any other in-custody defendant, this might not be an issue now. JMO.

And I do understand he needed to be kept safe, so I don't have the answer...

Last edited:
I've never seen "geofences" mentioned until the D brought it up.
I had to strike the above because I just found where @Yemelyan mentioned geo fence in June of last year.

In Scene of the Crime, episode 4, Ives talks about the number of cell phones he subpoenaed within a 5 mile radius.
We have this link but it's no longer available on stitcher.

Here's a spotify link same as above but I don't know if it's approved and I don't have an account. Or, maybe there's something in our timeline/news thread.

One can still listen to this episode on many different platforms that host podcasts. Here's another link: Delphi: Evidence

It's season 1, episode 4, approximately 13:56 in:

"Robert Ives told us that he personally submitted multiple subpoenas seeking to obtain all cell phone records within a five mile radius that day, to determine who was in the area on the 13th. All owners of cell phones that pinged in the area of the bridge that day were contacted regarding their activities and whether they’d seen anything. Investigators looked particularly closely at anyone whose phone records showed that they were newly in the area or spent several hours there during the time in question."

As to whether Robert Ives misspoke or what, I do not know, just reporting what he apparently told the producers of this approved podcast.

Shortly before this segment the host of the podcast said that police executed approximately 70 subpoenas and 12 search warrants that are known to the public and possibly many more that are not yet known (and of course, this process would have continued well past the time that this podcast was created).

One can still listen to this episode on many different platforms that host podcasts. Here's another link: Delphi: Evidence

It's season 1, episode 4, approximately 13:56 in:

"Robert Ives told us that he personally submitted multiple subpoenas seeking to obtain all cell phone records within a five mile radius that day, to determine who was in the area on the 13th. All owners of cell phones that pinged in the area of the bridge that day were contacted regarding their activities and whether they’d seen anything. Investigators looked particularly closely at anyone whose phone records showed that they were newly in the area or spent several hours there during the time in question."

As to whether Robert Ives misspoke or what, I do not know, just reporting what he apparently told the producers of this approved podcast.

Shortly before this segment the host of the podcast said that police executed approximately 70 subpoenas and 12 search warrants that are known to the public and possibly many more that are not yet known (and of course, this process would have continued well past the time that this podcast was created).
Thank you for the link. I'm confused.

So is this considered a geo fence?
he personally submitted multiple subpoenas seeking to obtain all cell phone records within a five mile radius that day, to determine who was in the area on the 13th.

The basic measurements of the cell.
If defense cannot be trusted to tell the truth in the easily disproven fact,
How can one trust their statements when they are obviously manipulating them to suit their desires.
JMO
First lie only wins in a con game, not the legal realm. JMO
I would like to add I don’t believe all defense attorneys are unethical. I think many do an excellent job defending their client without muddying the whole legal system and causing the level of chaos and distrust this particular team has.
AMO

judge gull found on the record the defense made false claims in the safe keeping hearing.

baldwin obviously blatantly deceived the judge on the phone conferences and in chambers about his true relationship with MW.

it’s why the turco misrepresentation doesn’t surprise me.

but this is not unique to this case. see Morphew for example.

We have the list of evidence they seized that has a file date on it, so we can be fairly sure it's the final one. So IMO, that's all there is from his property unless they took out some things and forgot to list them OR there was a second search that we don't know about. I haven't found any evidence of more than one search on their home.

The only boxes checked on the return are relating to his gun, ammo and vehicle. There is no lab analysis report on the carpet from his vehicle. The lab analysis report on the gun is available; I'm assuming the report on the carpet would be, too; if it had come back with results. I think the D wants the bullet thrown out.

NOTE: edited to add the correct link.
I think the P doesn't wanna talk about phones.
Including RA's phone.
And the D does. :)

moo

Thank you for the link. I'm confused.

So is this considered a geo fence?

To my knowledge, geofence warrants are those that require a provider to search its entire reserve of user location data to identify all users or devices located within a geographic area during a time period specified by law enforcement. So it seems that Ives was talking about a geofence when he talked about submitting subpoenas for information about cell phones active in the area on the 13th. Though, in this podcast we do not hear Ives' own words, we hear the narrator summarize what Ives told the producers of the podcast, which does leave some room for ambiguity I suppose.

A few months after the murders, laws changed how geofence warrants could be used by LE, to make the scope or application much narrower (the Carpenter ruling). And within the last few months, Google made several changes to how it stores user location history data that will make information from geofences almost useless IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvfire1018