Abby & Libby - The Delphi Murders - Richard Allen Arrested - #183

Status
Not open for further replies.

10:04 A.M.​

The trial has been called off until October 14 – November 15.

10:04 A.M.​

The hearing has dismissed for a break.

10 A.M.​

The hearing has progressed into hour one. Many have entered and left the courthouse, but none connected to the Delphi hearing.

I don't think this will result in a plea. The defense found out they needed more time because of the slow trickling of Discovery from the State, including the latest.....those pesky phone pings and lack thereof.

There was no other choice in order for the trial to be fair.

Glad to see there's more time scheduled! It needed to be longer.

IMO MOO

Time will tell
The prosecutor has put certain things under seal calling it damning evidence.

I hate that this causes more craziness in social media, but this was the correct way to proceed. IMOLive blog: Delphi murders suspect in court for special motions hearing

Time will tell
The prosecutor has put certain things under seal calling it damning evidence.

I hate that this causes more craziness in social media, but this was the correct way to proceed. IMOLive blog: Delphi murders suspect in court for special motions hearing
Did he by chance ensure his opponents have a copy of EVERYTHING then? Should we expect this is the end of the discovery issues (eg: missing things, deleted things, new things coming in…)?

At Tuesday’s hearing, the defense argued they would need more than the 15 days that had been allotted for the trial, which was set to start May 13 and last through the end of the month. Allen’s defense attorneys withdrew their motion for a speedy trial at the hearing.

In the meantime, a hearing is scheduled for May 21-23 in Carroll County to address multiple pending motions.

The defense also filed another motion to have Gull disqualify herself from the case. During a contentious hearing on Tuesday, Gull told Rozzi that she couldn’t understand why Allen’s team couldn’t defend their client during the time allotted for the trial.

Rozzi argued that “you don’t know anything about this case,” citing a lack of pretrial hearings to debate potential evidence.

The new trial dates are Oct. 14 through Nov. 15 in Carroll County, Gull said Tuesday. There will be three days of pretrial evidence hearings May 21 through May 23 in Carroll County.

Did he by chance ensure his opponents have a copy of EVERYTHING then? Should we expect this is the end of the discovery issues (eg: missing things, deleted things, new things coming in…)?

The Defense has almost certainly had all of the discovery, the only issue with it has been the sheer volume of it.

JMO

The Defense has almost certainly had all of the discovery, the only issue with it has been the sheer volume of it.

JMO

I disagree from what we've seen and heard, but time will tell, and thankfully we have more of that now to hash it all out to ensure justice for Abby and Libby. They deserve for everything to come out in a fair and thorough way.

IMO MOO

Not shocked but angry. We knew this would happen. This is sad for the families and will likely be a plea deal. Now I guess the D will be focused on their client's defense.
Yes I figured it was going to be a quick second after JG made her contempt decision that they would withdraw their motion for speedy trial.
It served their purpose IMO
My thoughts go out to the families here.

The Defense have just piled a whole lot more misery onto the families who are still waiting for justice.

Completely incapable of putting together a solid defense as their client is guilty and want to delay things to try and no doubt throw more innocent people under the bus.

My heart breaks for families of the victims who have to wait another 5 months while the Defense continue to play the system.

Moooooo

Last edited:
Somehow they manage to find the time to write 26 pages telling JG to step down but can't take time to read through this discovery. I can't wait to read this motion and today's transcripts. Wonder how long it will take before her complaint reaches the Office of Judicial and Attorney Regulation. Would be great to have them gone by October.

Completely incapable of putting together a solid defense as their client is guilty and want to delay things to try and no doubt throw more innocent people under the bus.

Moooooo

RSBM

I respectfully disagree at this point. They just didn't have enough time to get through the mountains of disorganized (and withheld....not to mention lost/destroyed) evidence in time. If October comes around and they are still having trouble getting through it and making it happen, I'll change my tune and agree with you.

But for now, this is the best option, even for Nick McLeland because it gives him more time to try to tackle this really problematic issue of the phone pings and geofence data he inexplicably wants stricken (thus endangering all his future cases into perpetuity!)

MOO IMO

Somehow they manage to find the time to write 26 pages telling JG to step down but can't take time to read through this discovery. I can't wait to read this motion and today's transcripts. Wonder how long it will take before her complaint reaches the Office of Judicial and Attorney Regulation. Would be great to have them gone by October.

Why would it be great to have them gone by October? Then who knows how long it would take for a trial to happen!

IMO MOO

Why would it be great to have them gone by October? Then who knows how long it would take for a trial to happen!

IMO MOO
So that lawyers who actually care to put on a proper defense can take over. Some who aren't trying to fire the judge and who have a strong moral compass would be my wish. But yes that would take longer. Maybe. The new team could simply get on with the defense knowing that the bulk of the discovery is a 6 year investigation and get right to the point.

Do you actually think the JAR will remove them? Given that the ScOIN has already made it pretty clear they don’t support their removal I see that as a long shot. Stranger things have certainly happened.

So that lawyers who actually care to put on a proper defense can take over. Some who aren't trying to fire the judge and who have a strong moral compass would be my wish. But yes that would take longer. Maybe. The new team could simply get on with the defense knowing that the bulk of the discovery is a 6 year investigation and get right to the point.

I find it hard to understand how people can say these attorneys don't care about this client. They are going so hard for him and likely neglecting nearly everything else in their practice. Additionally, there are so many other respected attorneys also completely disagreeing with the way the judge is handling this case, even taking it to the SCOIN.

I know people don't like them simply because they are defense attorneys and they believe "guilty until proven innocent," but I just don't see it in this case.

JMO MOO

Not shocked but angry. We knew this would happen. This is sad for the families and will likely be a plea deal. Now I guess the D will be focused on their client's defense.
Exactly, none of us are surprised by this and many of us even expected it. We knew the D wasn't ready.. they were not ready last fall when they said they were. This trial was set for October and big surprise the D playing games requests the speedy trial... then withdrawals it and we are back to October like was already set before they changed it.

How much money and planning has went already into getting accommodations ready for the jurors for NEXT WEEK??!!??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
weary