Found Deceased AK - Kathleen Henry, 30, video of murder victim found, Anchorage, 9 Oct 2019 *Arrest*

Thursday, February 22, 2024
Alaska V Brian Smith Murder Trial
Closing Arguments from the Prosecution

1708631518240.png

The acts of Brian S. Smith are being described-- Unspeakable Evil
t2320.gif
t2320.gif
t2320.gif

MOO, it's disgusting. Texts between Brian Smith and Ian Calhoun right after they believe Kathleen had been tortured, beaten, & strangled to death. He said he had fun. :mad:
View attachment 485250
View attachment 485251

The day began with the judge allowing a subpoenaed witness, Ian Calhoun, to avoid testifying.

Calhoun invoked his Fifth Amendment right through his attorney to remain silent and not incriminate himself.

Evidence presented in court revealed that Smith called and texted Calhoun, briefly meeting him at Forsythe Park, between 4 a.m. and 5 a.m. on the day that Henry was killed in fall of 2019. That meeting was hours after Henry was killed.

In one text, the detective said that Calhoun texts Smith: “I was not up, sounds like you were having a lot of fun.”

The detective said Smith replied: “I did have fun. Wanted to share.”
I know it is small comfort but I am so glad that Stephanie Bissland and Ian Calhoun are named and identified. I truly hope that their support and possible (MOO) participation makes them pariahs in their communities for the rest of their lives. I remember when the video was found and just caught up with this case. Thank you to everyone, especially @MeadowMuffin for taking them time to update this thread. I look forward to a big giant GUILTY at the front of this thread.

Defense Closing Arguments
1708633579962.png1708634593935.png
1708635512379.png
1708633720178.pngArgues that the Prosecution put on so many witnesses. Criticizes that, "Quantity doesn't mean Quality."
t2605.gif
Criticizes Valerie Casler for giving misinformation, even though scared she still bravely came forward with the videos and pictures that cracked this case. Defense criticizes what LE didn't test. Says they tested 11 items, and none had Kathleen Henry's DNA on them. (MOO, Jurors won't disregard what they saw with their own eyes in the videos of BS killing Kathleen.)

Listening to this drives me mad. MOO, ridiculous arguments.

Defense gives a weak argument that there's a contradiction about why the neck bone wasn't broken, and if the woman is really the one in the video. (MOO, silly argument really.)
t2621.gif
LE made BS feel it was hopeless, he had been caught. LE only read him his rights once and didn't keep repeating it. Criticizes that LE was tricky.
t2669.gif
(BS was the one being tricky, lying that a body just appeared in his truck! That he couldn't remember when actually he had "fun".)

Tsk, tsk... LE and Prosecution is trying to make poor BS out to be a serial killer.
m1281.gif
Ah, Yes, he is!

t26154.gif
MOO, Defense goes on and on criticizing, but this Closing Argument is too weak to erase all that was revealed by Prosecution to prove Brian Smith killed two women. The evidence is too strong. MOO, I think Jurors will reach a guilty verdict quickly.

Last edited:
Defense Closing Arguments
View attachment 485300View attachment 485315
View attachment 485321
View attachment 485301Argues that the Prosecution put on so many witnesses. Criticizes that, "Quantity doesn't mean Quality."
t2605.gif
Criticizes Valerie Casler for giving misinformation, even though scared she still bravely came forward with the videos and pictures that cracked this case. Defense criticizes what LE didn't test. Says they tested 11 items, and none had Kathleen Henry's DNA on them. (MOO, Jurors won't disregard what they saw with their own eyes in the videos of BS killing Kathleen.)

Listening to this drives me mad. MOO, ridiculous arguments.

Defense gives a weak argument that there's a contradiction about why the neck bone wasn't broken, and if the woman is really the one in the video. (MOO, silly argument really.)
t2621.gif
LE made BS feel it was hopeless, he had been caught. LE only read him his rights once and didn't keep repeating it. Criticizes that LE was tricky.
t2669.gif
(BS was the one being tricky, lying that a body just appeared in his truck! That he couldn't remember when actually he had "fun".)

Tsk, tsk... LE and Prosecution is trying to make poor BS out to be a serial killer.
m1281.gif
Ah, Yes, he is!

t26154.gif
MOO, Defense goes on and on criticizing, but this Closing Argument is too weak to erase all that was revealed by Prosecution to prove Brian Smith killed two women. The evidence is too strong. MOO, I think Jurors will reach a guilty verdict quickly.
So appreciate your updates and insight!

1708637088106.png1708637568996.png

1708636998678.png The Judge is listening to the Prosecution's Cross to the Closing Arguments. The facts and evidence speak for themselves. Both sides are done with the Closing Arguments. Judge giving further instructions to the Jury. They'll be going into deliberation after this. The Bailiff will provide food or make phone calls if needed. Alternate Jurors (4) are being excused and released now. Swearing in the Bailiff to take the Jury back to the room to deliberate.

There's that no court on Fridays to consider. Bet they reach a verdict fast today.

VERDICT WATCH BEGINS NOW. It's about 12:40 p.m. Alaska time on Thursday, 2/22/2024.

1708637814730.png

‘You see her dying and you see her dead’: Closing arguments presented in Brian Smith murder trial

Prosecutor Brittany Dunlop sat in front of her computer, her leg jiggled up and down. All eyes in the room were turned to a second prosecutor, Heather Nobrega, as she laid out the final case against Brian Smith to the jury during closing arguments in his murder trial.

“You see her dying and you see her dead at the hands of the defendant,” she said.

[...]

After a 15-minute break, the defense began closing arguments.

“The state has failed to prove it’s case,” defense attorney Tim Ayer told the jury.

Ayer immediately began to pick at what he said were inconsistent statements made by Valerie Casler, who gave police the images showing a woman being brutally tortured and strangled to death.

1708638320708.png

Verdicts being read - 14 charges
Guilty in all
They have more work to do to decide if there's any aggravating factor to the Murder 1st Degree. Substantial physical torture... Judge is reading the definition of "torture". Jurors have to decide if it has been proven that BS tortured Kathleen Henry.
1708646538033.png
1708646572093.png1708646756314.png

1708648248137.png. . . . . . . . . .1708647963548.png

Guilty on all 14 charges. 1708648007269.png
Murder 1st degree and whether it included the aggravating factor of physical torture has to be decided by the Jurors now.
1708647246893.png Note-- the sound is going in and out. I can't hear it all.

Both sides can present their case as to whether Brian Smith tortured Kathleen Henry. Torture would be an aggravating factor.
1708647036062.png
Prosecution is up now. They say we see on the video torture for 36 minutes after already abusing Kathleen.
1708647290674.pngDefense up to argue he's not sure the definition of torture the Judge read was the best definition. Says what Jurors saw on the video was those actions less than an hour long. MOO, Defense wants to excuse what is seen on the video as "not that bad".
1708648090603.png Judge sends the Jurors back to the Jury Room. This probably won't take too long. The Judge tells the courtroom to stay close by.

Veronica Abouchuk . . . Kathleen Jo Henry
1708648544717.png1708648669386.png

Article from October 2019 soon after his arrest:

3:43 Alaska time
Jury is ready to come back into the courtroom to give their Verdict on the Aggravating Factor. The news reporter said Brian Smith is facing a 99 yr. sentence.

1708648854821.png

A unanimous Yes. Yes, all Jurors said yes to the Aggravating Factor.

The Judge is thanking them and releasing them from their duty.

Thank You Judge. Thank You Jurors for deciding the right way.

Sentencing dates are being discussed. I think I heard it'll be on the 19th. Prosecution said they'd be presenting a couple more hours of testimony then. I don't know if it'll be televised.

Veronica Abouchuk . . . Kathleen Jo Henry
View attachment 485393View attachment 485395

Article from October 2019 soon after his arrest:

3:43 Alaska time
Jury is ready to come back into the courtroom to give their Verdict on the Aggravating Factor. The news reporter said Brian Smith is facing a 99 yr. sentence.

View attachment 485396

A unanimous Yes. Yes, all Jurors said yes to the Aggravating Factor.

The Judge is thanking them and releasing them from their duty.

Thank You Jurors for deciding the right way.

Sentencing dates are being discussed.
Those jurors will need counselling after what they have seen and heard!

View attachment 485392. . . . . . . . . .View attachment 485389

Guilty on all 14 charges. View attachment 485390
Murder 1st degree and whether it included the aggravating factor of physical torture has to be decided by the Jurors now.
View attachment 485386 Note-- the sound is going in and out. I can't hear it all.

Both sides can present their case as to whether Brian Smith tortured Kathleen Henry. Torture would be an aggravating factor.
View attachment 485385
Prosecution is up now. They say we see on the video torture for 36 minutes after already abusing Kathleen.
View attachment 485388Defense up to argue he's not sure the definition of torture the Judge read was the best definition. Says what Jurors saw on the video was those actions less than an hour long. MOO, Defense wants to excuse what is seen on the video as "not that bad".
View attachment 485391 Judge sends the Jurors back to the Jury Room. This probably won't take too long. The Judge tells the courtroom to stay close by.

Thank you to the jury & to all the people who investigated, gave evidence, & prosecuted this case.

Also sending my condolences to the families & friends of Veronica Abouchuk & Kathleen Jo Henry, as well as strength & healing to all those who have had to face the horrors of these murders.

@Curious Me, thanks for posting the daily updates. I wasn't able to watch the proceedings but have checked your posts for updates every day.

Brian Smith found guilty on 14 charges related to murders of 2 Alaska Native women

A person in the gallery whispered
“Kathleen and Veronica got justice.”

Smith stood silent as a statue.
His wife stared ahead.
The pair never made eye contact.

[...]

While waiting for a verdict, Smith’s wife changed out of a turtleneck with a gold cross dangling from her neck to a blue sweatshirt and black snow boots.

Supporters of the two slain women wore red. One woman had white beaded earrings with a red palm print.

[...]

Before she left the courthouse, Abouchuk’s sister said the verdict brought her “peace.”

“It was pretty difficult, but also, for me and my sister it’s more of letting go so our sister and Kathleen, their spirits can be released in peace,” Rena Sapp said.

The grieving sister was in the gallery watching every day of this trial.

“They’re at peace now,” Sapp said. “That’s the most important thing. And, for me, her sister, Veronica’s sister, and Kathleen’s family, it’s been too long and today is a life celebration and a spiritual celebration”

Brian Smith found guilty on 14 charges related to murders of 2 Alaska Native women

A person in the gallery whispered
“Kathleen and Veronica got justice.”

Smith stood silent as a statue.
His wife stared ahead.
The pair never made eye contact.

[...]

While waiting for a verdict, Smith’s wife changed out of a turtleneck with a gold cross dangling from her neck to a blue sweatshirt and black snow boots.

Supporters of the two slain women wore red. One woman had white beaded earrings with a red palm print.

[...]

Before she left the courthouse, Abouchuk’s sister said the verdict brought her “peace.”

“It was pretty difficult, but also, for me and my sister it’s more of letting go so our sister and Kathleen, their spirits can be released in peace,” Rena Sapp said.

The grieving sister was in the gallery watching every day of this trial.

“They’re at peace now,” Sapp said. “That’s the most important thing. And, for me, her sister, Veronica’s sister, and Kathleen’s family, it’s been too long and today is a life celebration and a spiritual celebration”
I’m glad to know the victim’s loved ones found some peace and justice.

Towards the end, at the 2:17 minute mark, of the video, it says Sentencing is Scheduled for July, I believe the Judge said the 19th and a Friday. Due to the Aggravating Factor being included, Smith will get an automatic 99 years to whatever sentence he gets.

1708665592923.png
1708665273178.png
1708665421932.png1708665026648.png

I know it is small comfort but I am so glad that Stephanie Bissland and Ian Calhoun are named and identified. I truly hope that their support and possible (MOO) participation makes them pariahs in their communities for the rest of their lives. I remember when the video was found and just caught up with this case. Thank you to everyone, especially @MeadowMuffin for taking them time to update this thread. I look forward to a big giant GUILTY at the front of this thread.
Thanks, @momsof3 but it was @Curious Me who deserves a standing ovation. She did a remarkable job of getting the trial contents to us in an orderly and succinct manner. Much appreciated, Curious Me!

He was recording this for a reason. I doubt it was just for his own future amusement. I suspect he was sharing this type of content with others. Perhaps with other murderers or in an online form.
Hopefully,LE will be able to trace this content based on what they can learn from the metadata that exists on the SD card. IMO
As it turns out, you were absolutely right. Ian Calhoun is one who was obviously involved in the sharing/receiving of Brian Smith's videos & pics (they even met up at a park bc BS wanted to show Ian Kathleen's body). Still waiting for this Ian monster to be charged with something...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G@$p•
Back