GUILTY AK - Shelley Connolly, 16, Anchorage, 7 Jan 1978 *Arrest in 2019*

JusticeWillBeServed

Reaction score
Anchorage Crime Stoppers

Cold case detectives are looking for help from the public in solving the homicide of 16-year-old girl Shelley Connolly. On January 7, 1978, Connolly`s body was found next to the train tracks just south of McHugh Creek at milepost 109 of the Seward Highway; she had been sexually assaulted and murdered. The last time she was seen alive was earlier that evening inside Chilkoot Charlies talking to four men. Detectives would like to locate a man known as "Pinkie" who lived in the Kenai area at the time. If you know who "Pinkie" is, or have information regarding the murder of Shelley Connolly, call Crime Stoppers at 561-7867 or submit your tip anonymously using this website.

Anchorage Cold Cases: Mother of teen murdered in 1978 still searches for answers

At age 16 Shelley Connolly liked to roller skate, have sleepovers and occasionally break the rules to party. Her mom Judy Connolly, says she was a typical teen in 1978.

Her life was cut short by a brutal murder that still haunts her mother decades later.

"She's probably thinking mom where are ya?," says Connolly. "That's sorta {the} time that I get choked up like, because a mother's always supposed to be there to protect her children."

The Connolly family hoped Shelley's attackers would be brought to justice but, at the time, the crime got little media attention. Sketches of two suspects were buried in the local paper and the story never once made the front page. Nearly 40 years later, there still hasn't been anyone charged with the murder.

Judy Connolly is open to discussing what happened to her daughter in the hopes that it'll help close the case. Although she has come to terms with the fact that the case may not be closed during her lifetime.

"I've come to the conclusion that in my lifetime I'm sure I won't know," says Connolly. "Hopefully my family will find closure and I guess when I leave this old world then there will be answer."

Family clings to hope in an unsolved murder nearly 40 years old - May 2015

James Gallan, the trooper investigator currently tasked with the case, is blunt about what it would take to find Shelley's killer today. The state has forensic evidence from the original autopsy that would link at least one suspect to Connolly's body with DNA. Beyond that, all leads have been exhausted.

"We need to get lucky on the DNA, or we need a witness to step forward and say, 'this is the person who did this,' " he said.

At some point in the night, Shelley was seen leaving Chilkoot Charlie's with several men. At least one person later reported seeing her at Leroy's, an all-night diner on C Street. Investigators had a hard time establishing a reliable timeline of the night from witness statements, Gallan said.

Two female hikers found her body the next morning, 10 miles south of Potter Marsh along the Seward Highway.

"They threw her out of the car alive," Connolly said. "Her hand got stuck in the door. They were driving with her -- she was still alive -- and once they realize they were dragging something they stopped and opened the door and threw her over the side. She rolled down near the train tracks. She tried to crawl up. You could see in the snow where she tried."

The biggest break came in 1993, when the trooper then investigating the case identified four suspects potentially linked by forensic evidence to the crime. The troopers traveled out of state to interview the men.

Ultimately, DNA evidence cleared those suspects.

Later, a woman who claimed to have been with Shelley on the night she was killed came forward.

"We got our hopes up then," Connolly said. "We thought maybe something would come of that."

It didn't.

The unsolved murder of Shelley Connolly - April 2016

Reward fund seeks new tips in Alaska cold-case murders - September 2011

Find a Grave

Web_201108021506050.jpg

with all the sleuths out there can someone track down the police sketch originally in newspaper (may have been seward ) and there was an article about family being followed at funeral, can these be posted here

QKG7ON2CWVHTZNWZZXUX3HLHYE.jpeg

Multnomah County Sheriff's Office

McQuade, 62, was arrested in Gresham on Friday and is suspected of raping and killing a teen girl 41 years ago.

Donald McQuade, 62, of Gresham faces allegations of first-degree and second-degree murder in the 1978 death of Shelley Connolly. McQuade was 21 at the time, police said.

He has been living in Gresham for several years and was arrested without incident on an Alaska fugitive warrant, police said.

Connolly had been left for dead on the side of Seward Highway, south of Anchorage, on an early January morning. People who had stopped to take scenic photos discovered her body and flagged down a state trooper, Wilson said.
Police arrest Oregon suspect in 1978 murder of Alaska girl using DNA analysis

Fortunately this case was submitted in February, before the GEDMatch policy changes. The press conference was one of the worst I have ever seen of this type, but at least the reporters rescued it in the final minutes with some sharp questioning, and the older detective stepped forward to answer those questions. That included the details about submitting the case in February before the opt-in requirement.

Amanda Price was a controversial appointment just a few months ago, with opposition from both sides. She devoted most of that presser toward boosting her own image and favorable numbers. I hate to be so cynical but no other conclusion can be drawn. She walked away from the microphone without offering any of the standard detail toward how this went down. I assumed there would be a third speaker but then astonishingly that was the end. Reporters were understandably befuddled so they asked questions toward basic details that should have been provided from the outset.

Sad case because it seems apparent that Shelley could have survived other than two bad breaks. She was thrown from the car but her hand got caught in the door and she was dragged along. Imagine how much damage that would have caused. Otherwise she's raped and hurt but likely able to pick herself up, or a passing motorist able to spot her.

Then once the perpetrator discovers she was being dragged by the car he stops and shoves her down the hill, out of sight from passing motorists. Also that fall down the hill undoubtedly either caused or exacerbated the ruptured spleen injury that seemingly prevented her from climbing the hill to safety.

In early 2019, forensic DNA analysis identified Donald McQuade as a suspect. He was living in Gresham. Troopers in Alaska asked the Gresham Police Department for assistance.

Gresham detectives tracked McQuade and recovered a couple of his cigarette butts. DNA from those matched DNA from the crime scene.

“It’s an over 40-year-old case and without the multi-agency cooperation and working together it would continue to be unsolved,” said Det. Kevin Carlson of the Gresham Police Department.

Investigators in Alaska echo those sentiments. They say they never forgot about Shelley.

“What happened to Shelley mattered to this state,” said Amanda Price of Alaska’s Department of Public Safety. “It mattered to this department.”

That perseverance is what led detectives to McQuade, but his family says he is innocent.

“I can only hope it turns out well and they give my brother and our family a big apology,” said Richard McQuade.

Donald McQuade is being held in the Multnomah County Jail until he is extradited to Alaska. He is facing one count of murder in the first degree and one count of murder in the second degree.
Family of man arrested in Alaska cold case murder says he is innocent

Donald McQuade: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know

Sep 4, 2019

"Donald McQuade, the suspect accused in the 1978 cold case murder of a teenager who was left in a ditch in Alaska, presented himself as a loving father, grandfather and husband on social media. However, for four decades, authorities say, he was harboring a dark and terrifying secret that a new crimefighting technique called genetic genealogy helped unravel....

Here’s what you need to know:..."

Donald McQuade: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

Wednesday, Sept. 4th:
*Arraignment Hearing (@ 9am PT) – AK/OR – Shelley Connolly (16) (January 7, 1978, Anchorage) - *Donald Frances McQuade (62/21 @ time of crime) arrested & charged (8/30/19) & arraigned (9/4/19) with 1 count of 1st degree murder & 1 count of 2nd degree murder. $1M cash bond.
Multnomah County/Oregon #19EX00597 / Alaska #3AN-19-08645-CR
New advances in DNA. GEDmatch & “genetic geneology”. Admits to having sex with Shelley, but denies killing her. In Oregon awaiting extradition to Alaska which could take weeks or months.
9/4/19 Update: Arraignment held. Next hearing on 9/17 to consult with attorney & Status hearing on 10/9.

Last edited:
09/04/2019 Arraignment
Judicial Officer: Baggio, Amy M.
Hearing Time: 9:00 AM
Result: Held

09/04/2019 Complaint - Fugitive

09/04/2019 Affidavit
Comment: Of Identity

09/04/2019 Arraignment
Judicial Officer: Baggio, Amy M.

09/17/2019 Hearing - Further Proceedings
Judicial Officer: Russell, Shelley D
Comment: Consult Attorney

10/09/2019 Hearing - Further Proceedings
Judicial Officer: Ryan, Thomas M
Comment: Status of Governor's Warrant

link: OREGON JUDICIAL DEPARTMENT - Online Records Search

Docket for Alaska

08/30/2019 Charging Document Pending

08/30/2019 Initial Charging Document

08/30/2019 Process Issued
Bail Amount (Warrants Only): $1,000,000 cash app per Judge Hanley
Agency Issued to: AST
Agency Location: Anchorage

Warrant Issued by Anchorage Court issued on: 08/30/2019
For: McQuade, Donald Frances

09/03/2019 Copies Made per Admin Rule 9 (e)(1)
For a single document or portion of a document $5
If copies of multiple documents are requested at the same time, for each additional document (after the first) $3 Receipt: 1663604 Date: 09/03/2019

link: https://records.courts.alaska.gov/e...WBIjRmGyfYJfLsaQI7ViBWBKP-iGOucYfsWQ2WiXLy*vQ

Reactions: mrz
Donald McQuade: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know

Sep 4, 2019

"Donald McQuade, the suspect accused in the 1978 cold case murder of a teenager who was left in a ditch in Alaska, presented himself as a loving father, grandfather and husband on social media. However, for four decades, authorities say, he was harboring a dark and terrifying secret that a new crimefighting technique called genetic genealogy helped unravel....

Here’s what you need to know:..."

Donald McQuade: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

Here is a video summary of five facts about the suspect held in this case:

Details about Gresham suspect emerge from 1978 Alaska cold case

Sept 10, 2019

"On a January night 41 years ago, Shelley Connolly disappeared after being last seen leaving an Anchorage, Alaska bar. Hours later, passersby found the 16-year-old dead on the side of a highway. The case went unsolved for years until Aug. 30, when police arrested Donald McQuade, 62, in Gresham, and charged him with Connolly’s murder.

While McQuade awaits extradition to Alaska, details of the decades-old case are resurfacing as police try to piece together what happened. Meanwhile, McQuade’s family insists he is innocent and say they are working to clear his name. McQuade’s next court hearing is scheduled for Sept. 17...."

Details about Gresham suspect emerge from 1978 Alaska cold case

'Definitely suspicious': Investigators contact more families of veterans who died at a West Virginia VA hospital

Sept. 10, 2019

"A lawyer representing relatives of patients who died at a Veterans Affairs hospital in West Virginia said investigators contacted three more families, indicating a federal probe into about 10 suspicious deaths is expanding.

The VA's Office of Inspector General has been looking into the deaths at Louis A. Johnson VA Medical Center in Clarksburg, West Virginia. At least two of those deaths were reclassified as homicides after the bodies were exhumed....

Last week, another family agreed to allow the body of their relative, who died in January 2018, to be exhumed to search for signs of foul play, said Tony O'Dell, a Charleston, West Virginia, attorney representing the families.

The VA's Office of Inspector General contacted two other families to say their relatives may have died under suspicious circumstances, O'Dell said. They died in March and April of 2018.

O'Dell declined to identify the families, saying they haven't decided to speak publicly...."

'Definitely suspicious': Investigators contact more families of veterans who died at a West Virginia VA hospital

Hello - I shall be leaving on a Holiday to California!! And won't be around WS for at least 2 weeks. So am going to post the hearing/trial that is coming up while I am gone. Please keep 'good' notes while I'm gone! LOL! I will definitely be way behind on all my cases I'm following.... but will try & peek in mid-way thru my vacation. I left the counties & case # on these notes, which I usually don't post. So someone can look this up after court. :)

Tuesday, Sept. 17th:
*Hearing (@ 9am PT) – AK/OR – Shelley Connolly (16) (January 7, 1978, Anchorage) - *Donald Frances McQuade (62/21 @ time of crime) arrested & charged (8/30/19 in Grisham, OR) & arraigned (9/4/19) with 1 count of 1st degree murder & 1 count of 2nd degree murder. $1M cash bond (Alaska)
Multnomah County/Oregon #19EX00597 / Alaska #3AN-19-08645CR
New advances in DNA. Parabon labs & GEDmatch & “genetic geneology”. Admits to having sex with Shelley, but denies killing her.
In Oregon awaiting extradition to Alaska which could take weeks or months.

9/4/19 Update: Arraignment held in Oregon. Next hearing on 9/17 to consult with attorney & Status hearing on 10/9.

Hello - I shall be leaving on a Holiday to California!! And won't be around WS for at least 2 weeks. So am going to post the hearing/trial that is coming up while I am gone. Please keep 'good' notes while I'm gone! LOL! I will definitely be way behind on all my cases I'm following.... but will try & peek in mid-way thru my vacation. I left the counties & case # on these notes, which I usually don't post. So someone can look this up after court. :)

Tuesday, Sept. 17th:
*Hearing (@ 9am PT) – AK/OR – Shelley Connolly (16) (January 7, 1978, Anchorage) - *Donald Frances McQuade (62/21 @ time of crime) arrested & charged (8/30/19 in Grisham, OR) & arraigned (9/4/19) with 1 count of 1st degree murder & 1 count of 2nd degree murder. $1M cash bond (Alaska)
Multnomah County/Oregon #19EX00597 / Alaska #3AN-19-08645CR
New advances in DNA. Parabon labs & GEDmatch & “genetic geneology”. Admits to having sex with Shelley, but denies killing her.
In Oregon awaiting extradition to Alaska which could take weeks or months.

9/4/19 Update: Arraignment held in Oregon. Next hearing on 9/17 to consult with attorney & Status hearing on 10/9.
Happy holidays! :D

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
concernedcitizen706