AL AL - Brittney Wood, 19, Mobile, 31 May 2012 - #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kati Weis ‏@KatiWeis 15m
BREAKING: Dustin Kent, involved in Wood family sex ring, has plead guilty to rape and sodomy in Baldwin County. @FOX10News

I'm happy that this one plead guilty but instead of feeling excited like when we're looking forward to hearing a guilty verdict, I just feel nauseated.

I pray for the victims...

I believe that also takes one of his potential life sentences off the table since the Baldwin 1st degree sodomy charges appear to have been reduced to 2nd degree which is the 2-20 penalty.
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ne-Maps-*NO-DISCUSSION*&p=9971532#post9971532
Incident 1 & 2 are Baldwin, 3 & 4 are Mobile.

I'm sure he had top dollar attorneys who advised him to do this. Especially because taking the plea deal will spare the family of the news notoriety from a publized trial which might include their names. moo

I do hope money and politics do not get Dustin a good plea. He needs to be off the streets and away from society forever!

I wonder what the plea agreement involved?

Me too Mrs.g. Found this little bit:

Heinz said couldn't say how much time Kent will get as a result of his deal.

"A lot of it is still up in the air depending on his cooperation," she said.

Thanks Everyone for updating.
I'm following along.
I'll give my own opinion, and believe me, it isn't just fashion advice.
Dustin should have to wear prison stripes forever!

Thanks Everyone for updating.
I'm following along.
I'll give my own opinion, and believe me, it isn't just fashion advice.
Dustin should have to wear prison stripes forever!

BBM
Curious Me,
I've always enjoyed your posts and your humor. Now I also enjoy your fashion advise!

http://fox10tv.com/2014/07/31/dustin-kent-uncle-to-brittney-wood-pleads-guilty-to-rape-and-dodomy/

snipped from article

These charges resolved Thursday are in relation to sex crimes he committed against family members ages 12 to 16 back in 2008.

Kent’s lawyer, John Beck, told FOX10 his client did the right thing by signing the plea deal.

“Mr. Kent did the right thing, he took responsibility for what he did, and that’s what this system is all about,” said Beck, “Mr. Kent is going to continue to cooperate in the ongoing investigation, and Mr. Kent knows that he’s going to have to pay the price for his crimes.”

Two things I'd like to note in this article.

First: These charges resolved Thursday are in relation to sex crimes he committed against family members ages 12 to 16 back in 2008. 2008 would put Brittney around 14 years old.

Second: said Beck, “Mr. Kent is going to continue to cooperate in the ongoing investigation, It would be good if testimony from other adults could be used instead of the victims. I also hope that he is giving more information on Brittney, I believe he knows what happened to Brittney.

Correct me if I'm wrong here or missing anyone. JM, DW, DK are the ones that have made plea deals thus far. In my opinion, two of them JM and DK may have knowledge of what happened to Brittney.

Also, DK's sentencing is AFTER the court dates for the others charged. Good. Let him fully cooperate before sentencing.

Please let this development lead to finding Brittney!

Man charged in Wood family child sex investigation pleads guilty

snippets
Kent is expected to plead guilty to sex abuse-related charges in Mobile County, Kent's attorney, John Beck, said.
Heinz said couldn't say how much time Kent will get as a result of his deal.

A plea date has not been set. Beck said the parameters of Kent's plea are still being worked out.

Three other suspects charged in the sex investigation are scheduled to appear in court Aug. 6 for a pretrial docket hearing.

The suspects are William "Billy" Brownlee, 50, of Eight Mile, Randall Scott Wood, 44, of Mobile, and Donald "Paul" Holland Jr., 22, of Daphne.

"I am expecting at least one of them to plead guilty," Heinz said.

http://www.al.com/news/mobile/index.ssf/2014/07/man_charged_in_wood_family_sex.html#incart_2box

I may be late, but I am elated with this news!

FOX10News | WALA retweeted

Kati Weis
@KatiWeis
Kent will be sentenced October 23, and his bond was revoked. Kent could face up to 20 years in prison. @FOX10News

https://mobile.twitter.com/KatiWeis

“They have had an emotional rollercoaster over the last couple of years, and it’s not over yet. And our victims in the case are extremely strong children, and my hope is that we will be able to move past this, and they will be able to move past this, and have normal childhoods like any children deserve to have,” said Heinz.

http://fox10tv.com/2014/07/31/dustin-kent-uncle-to-brittney-wood-pleads-guilty-to-rape-and-dodomy/

One of the two victims in the Baldwin County cases was in the courtroom Thursday morning when Kent pleaded guilty.

Heinz said the plea was a huge relief for the girl because it is one less person she will have to testify against in court about the "horrible things that he did."

"This has been such a long process for her," Heinz said. "I am just glad that she entrusted me with doing what's best for her. I just want her to be able to come out of this with something left in her childhood."

http://www.al.com/news/mobile/index.ssf/2014/07/man_charged_in_wood_family_sex.html#incart_2box

AMEN, God bless her! I hope the victims see more justice and are able to live their lives as survivors!

I have conflicting emotions about the recent plea from Dustin. His bond being revoked is a technicality. He's been locked up since the Sweep and will get credit for the past year towards the potential minimum 2 year, even if its the maximum 20 years and out in 1-9 years.
I understand the willingness to bargain to avoid victims have to face their own family in court and am very grateful that has been arranged. Family is family for life. For that I am thrilled.
I will continue to process this as the hearings begin next week.

Of all of those charged, DK was the most likely to confess, so now that he has done so, I fully expect him to come clean about the involvement of the others as far as the sex crimes go, but I'm not too sure about him having any knowledge of what happened to Britney.

I've always held the opinion that he is somewhat simple minded, and as such, they wouldn't trust him with any real knowledge. I do hope, however, that he heard some talk and speculation that Britney was becoming a problem (concern that she may tell LE about the sex crimes) and he has told authorities what he heard. He would have known for example, if there was genuine concern with her disappearance, or if they were mostly relieved. Did all the (Wood) family members plan to do whatever they could to find her, or was there a general acceptance that it was sad, but futile to search for her?

I have conflicting emotions about the recent plea from Dustin. His bond being revoked is a technicality. He's been locked up since the Sweep and will get credit for the past year towards the potential minimum 2 year, even if its the maximum 20 years and out in 1-9 years.
I understand the willingness to bargain to avoid victims have to face their own family in court and am very grateful that has been arranged. Family is family for life. For that I am thrilled.
I will continue to process this as the hearings begin next week.

I understand how you feel. Imo, DK should be locked up for life! Granting of time served is left up to the judge. It is not always granted, but probably will be in this case. Maybe not, maybe we have a judge like the one Brittney had during her court case and he will get the 20 max w/o early release. We can hope!

The prosecution usually discusses a plea deal with the victim(s) before accepting the plea. I would expect the victim(s) had some say in the plea. The willingness to bargain was likely not a decision made solely by the prosecution.

Of all of those charged, DK was the most likely to confess, so now that he has done so, I fully expect him to come clean about the involvement of the others as far as the sex crimes go, but I'm not too sure about him having any knowledge of what happened to Britney.

I've always held the opinion that he is somewhat simple minded, and as such, they wouldn't trust him with any real knowledge. I do hope, however, that he heard some talk and speculation that Britney was becoming a problem (concern that she may tell LE about the sex crimes) and he has told authorities what he heard. He would have known for example, if there was genuine concern with her disappearance, or if they were mostly relieved. Did all the (Wood) family members plan to do whatever they could to find her, or was there a general acceptance that it was sad, but futile to search for her?

I agree. DK was the most likely to plead out mainly because he had the most to lose of all the defendants. I also don't think he makes a good appearance on his own behalf.

As for cooperation, I'm not as convinced he knows nothing of Brittney. Any real knowledge would come from some sort of involvement however. Being the simpleton, I think he could be easily influenced to action if he had some part in her disappearance. I'm thinking along the lines of destroying evidence, moving a body (God I hate typing that) or something along those lines. I'd doubt any of them would flat out confess to him that they were responsible.

Hypothetically, if he does have some knowledge...that is one decision I do not envy the DA for having to make. How much of a deal to recommend in exchange for that knowledge. 10 years? 20 years since they already took life off the table? I just hope it is in consultation with Steph and the other victims or family members not involved in all this evil.

I am glad there is some resolution to some of this. I just hope it leads to the ultimate resolution that we are all here for. Oh, and as for all the other family members, the pleas will probably start falling like dominoes. Very difficult for them to argue their innocence when one has now plead guilty and will certainly incriminate them as well. Hate to say it, but as far as known facts, it may start getting uglier before it starts getting prettier.

Adding to reedus23's thoughts. Simpleton and Dustin go together nicely. Imo the Wood family members also understood this about Dustin. As well, Dustin does not come from Wood family blood. Just as the now deceased Donnie was not made from Wood family blood. I personally believe Dustin's blood family was seen as a threat. Hence the reason I believe Dustin was not trusted to know everything about Brittney's disappearance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bekakay420