Found Alive AL - Carlethia “Carlee” Russell, 25, 911 call reported toddler walking on side of interstate, car found, she & toddler gone, Birmingham, 13 Jul ‘23 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll share a little bit of my experience that feels relevant to this case.

It happened almost 6 years ago, and I'm just glad I was in the right place at the right time, and not someone else. I was driving home in the rain from a doctor's appointment at about 11 in the morning on a weekday, and when I got on the freeway, something immediately caught my attention. It was like my brain instantly processed several red flags -- first, that there was something moving in the grass, then:
A. It was a small child
B. He was soaking wet and shirtless
C. He was carrying a beer bottle

I immediately pulled over and rolled down my window. I did not stop to call 911, there wasn't time. He was walking down the side of the freeway, and I didn't want someone else to stop who may not have good intentions or for him to get hit by a car or anything. When I saw something very similar to what Carlee reported to have seen, my instinctive reaction was to stop right away, not to make any phone calls. I've tried to think about what I would have done if it was dark, or late at night, and I'm not sure. In the moment, I acted on instinct.

He was very scared, the rain was starting to come down harder, but I managed to signal to him to come over to the car. I told him something like, "You should never get in a car with a stranger, but honey, you need to come get in my car right now."

When he was in the car I tried to get information from him about what was going on and how the heck he ended up on the side of the freeway. I found the "red flags" I mentioned extremely concerning and I wanted to get a sense of what the situation was, i.e. was he in any immediate danger, was he running away from someone who had hurt him, etc. If there was an abuse situation I didn't want to just throw him back into it without understanding. I mentioned calling the police and he was extremely distressed by that and tried to open the door to get out of the car. He eventually agreed to stay in the car if I promised not to call the police.

I told him well, we can't just stay here on the side of the freeway so I drove him to Starbucks down the road and we went through the drive thru and I got him something to eat and drink (he had been "using the empty beer bottle he found on the side of the road to catch rain water" and was very proud of himself, lol) and helped him put on a dry shirt I found in my car while I talked to him and tried to get information from him. (Every time I tried to grab my phone he would get extremely upset and try to leave, so I didn't call anyone but I quickly googled and could not find anything local about a missing child or an amber alert which was baffling to me. He had run away from school but had not been reported missing. Several hours had gone by and the school didn't even notice he was gone. He was 7 years old.)

Most of the rest of the info isn't relevant to Carlee's case so I'll leave it out to keep this on topic.

The things that I think are potentially relevant here — he had not been reported missing. I eventually convinced him to let me drive him to the police station and promised I would stay with him and keep him safe. I drove to the nearest location that Google Maps said was a police station, and the door was locked. I knocked, and an officer came out and I tried to briefly explain what was going on. In the most BAFFLING part of this whole thing, the officer said it wasn't actually a police station but something like an annex, and I should go a few miles away to another police station, and then he just let me take this boy and drive off with him and didn't want to know any information, not even the boy's name!

I took him to the other police station and eventually was able to explain to several officers what was going on and convince them to take me seriously without spooking the boy. I guess what had happened was that the school systems are under the jurisdiction of the Sheriff's office, not the police, and the Sheriff's office didn't think to inform the police when they eventually learned there was a missing child. No one had called to report seeing him on the busy freeway, seeing me pick him up, or seeing him walking alone the 2 miles from school. He said he had hid in the trees and behind trash cans so people couldn't see him.

I stayed there with him for several hours and helped him speak to detectives until his father arrived to claim him, which is a long story. I put a note in his backpack for his mom (who lived in another city, which is where he was trying to walk to via the freeway) with my contact information, and later got a long and very grateful phone call from her. We stayed in touch for a while and I sent Christmas gifts, etc. I'm just so glad I was in the right place at the right time.

The most important takeaway I want to give to anyone reading this -- please please please make sure your child knows basic information about you that they can communicate to rescuers if they are lost. Make sure your child knows your full name even if they're too young to remember your phone number or address. Especially if you have a different last name than your child. This situation could have been resolved much less painfully if the boy had been able to tell me any of that information, all he knew was his mother's first name. Because of this experience, I've drilled it into my 4-year-old and she can now recite my and my husband's full names, and our address, enough for anyone with a smart phone to google and get in contact with us.
Thanks for sharing this. I find that people often think in absolutes, instead of knowing that there are outliers and things that defy what we expect. Just because we’ve never witnessed something and it sounds far fetched to us, doesn’t mean that it isn’t possible.

1. Everything they uncovered at the day spa could be good, bad, or neutral. Did she get called to the phone repeatedly by the same incoming number? Did she go out in the parking lot and talk to someone? No facts yet.

2. Snack food at Target could be anything from trying to replicate the flavors of the missing Tzaziki's style food that she was in the mood for with a hummus cup, to a candy bar she ate while driving and put the wrapper in her pocket, if she's someone who hates trash in her car.
You make some good points. However, LE specifically mentioned the snack foods being missing. So they gave that significance.

Possibly, however the police felt it important enough to include that the snack items were not found in or near the car, which in my opinion would allude to the items being significant enough in size that they wouldn’t reasonably have been consumed in the short time following the purchase prior to her disappearance and/or the wrappers/grocery bag (if used and also missing) wouldn’t be something someone would easily put in their pocket under normal circumstances. (I am one of those people with an extremely tidy car who never leaves any trash in it and have never thought to put food wrappers in my pocket when driving after consuming a snack.) I guess we shall wait and see.

Do we know if the Target trip was before or after the trip to Tzatziki’s?
I should have read ahead before posting! Yes. I agree with your post.

How do we know she stopped for 3 mins outside of camera range?
It's explained in a new traffic cam video acquired by Gray Hughes:

Carlee Russell - Car Stops For 3 Minutes - Missing 1:46 seconds​

7/18/23 - Premiered 2 hours ago #carleerussell

Carlee Russell - Car Stops For 3 Minutes - Missing 1:46 seconds
Investigators are still working to figure out how and why an Alabama woman went missing for two days before reappearing on her parents’ doorstep Saturday night. Carlethia “Carlee” Nichole Russell disappeared after calling 911 last Thursday night, telling a dispatcher that she stopped along I-459 on her way home from work after seeing a toddler walking by himself in a diaper along the highway. - People.com

ETA: In the video purchased by GH, it now appears possible that after CR was stopped for 3 minutes (off camera), another party could have moved CR's vehicle forward to the location where police found it stopped and running.

Initially, when CR returned home I believed something along the lines of a kidnapping, however several pieces of information has caused doubts and confusion.

1. The parents mention an abductor in their interview
Why would they share this CRUCIAL piece of information when LE hasn't?
2. LE has found no evidence of this toddler
Imo there was no toddler, so why would CR say this?
If her disappearance was of her own doing, this fabrication seems very random. She could have easily made a more plausible excuse.
3. Where have her snacks from Target gone?
CR was seen buying snacks from target before her disappearance, which LE noticed was missing from her car. If her disappearance was of her own doing, it would have been obvious to leave her phone and wig behind. I feel that the average person wouldn't think that LE would even notice missing snacks from the vehicle.
ALL IMO
What in the world is going on!?!?! This case is getting more and more confusing.

Initially, when CR returned home I believed something along the lines of a kidnapping, however several pieces of information has caused doubts and confusion.

1. The parents mention an abductor in their interview
Why would they share this CRUCIAL piece of information when LE hasn't?
2. LE has found no evidence of this toddler
Imo there was no toddler, so why would CR say this?
If her disappearance was of her own doing, this fabrication seems very random. She could have easily made a more plausible excuse.
3. Where have her snacks from Target gone?
CR was seen buying snacks from target before her disappearance, which LE noticed was missing from her car. If her disappearance was of her own doing, it would have been obvious to leave her phone and wig behind. I feel that the average person wouldn't think that LE would even notice missing snacks from the vehicle.
ALL IMO
What in the world is going on!?!?! This case is getting more and more confusing.
ICBW, but I thought in the highway footage it was determined that one of the back doors was open at some point. If that's true, maybe the snacks were removed at that point??

ICBW, but I thought in the highway footage it was determined that one of the back doors was open at some point. If that's true, maybe the snacks were removed at that point??
She stopped her car, got out, walked around the back of the car, opened one of the passenger side doors and leaned in. I don't think there's any question from the video about that happening. So it does appear that she got something from probably the back seat.

She stopped her car, got out, walked around the back of the car, opened one of the passenger side doors and leaned in. I don't think there's any question from the video about that happening. So it does appear that she got something from probably the back seat.
It's so appropriate that you @Chili Fries answered my question about snacks. Sigh! Now my mind is running through scenarios about this case and my stomach is screaming "I'm hungry for Chili Fries! Must scope out Door Dash!" LOL

Just seeing one of the interviews with the parents during the time CR was missing. They went to Atlanta on a tip. Mom also says they 'already had planned to go' there.

Cbs 42 website on 07/14 "Carlee Russell's parents speak on her disappearance with CBS 42"

Last edited:
Just seeing one of the interviews with the parents during the time CR was missing. They went to Atlanta on a tip. Mom also says they 'already had plans to go' there.
What the WHAT!? They up and leave for Atlanta to go look for their daughter based on a tip, a tip from whom? And was Atlanta PD notified and brought in on the search? But they already had that jaunt planned anyway?

146 mile drive one-way, but factor in Atlanta traffic... Maybe the bf was being quite literal when he said that no one had slept in 48 hours. I mean, they also did interviews, met with the public to encourage everyone to hang flyers, traveled to Atlanta, etc

Out of curiosity, the reported RRI call, how much time elapsed between that alleged call and her return home?

I am absolutely so confused. How on earth was there so much activity from so many ppl in 48 hours? I'm exhausted just reading about it. AMVH and confused opinion.

There is much more to this story: I never believed there was a toddler-- I mean really, did that ever make any sense

There is much more to this story: I never believed there was a toddler-- I mean really, did that ever make any sense
I have my thoughts as to what really occurred here but I won't say it right now- the evidence will eventually tell the story- as it unfolds, as it is ---

Police said Russell, 25, had purchased snacks from a Target on nearby Highway 280, but the items weren’t found inside her car or beside her phone and wig found at the scene of her disappearance.

Following Russell’s return home Saturday night, investigators obtained surveillance video from the neighborhood, which allegedly show her walking down the sidewalk alone.

Police also released information that went against the phone call someone inside the house made after Russell returned home as the initial call stated she was unconscious but was up and talking when emergency personnel arrived.

“Numerous evidentiary items are still being evaluated, and those items are key in the process of determining exactly what took place in the approximately 49 hours Carlee was missing, but also what took place prior to her disappearance,” police said.

Police could not identify if anyone was with Russell in the moments leading up to her disappearance.
After leaving Target, Russell called 911 dispatch to report the toddler on the interstate at 9:34 p.m. and later reiterated the claim to her sister-in-law, with police adding she went missing during her second phone call around 9:36 p.m.
Members of Russell’s family have claimed the child was used as “bait” by human traffickers to get her out of the vehicle and kidnap her.

Experts have contradicted those claims saying there is no evidence of traffickers using a child as bait to lure women.

“As far as we are aware, this is not a tactic that traffickers use,” Sabrina Thulander a spokesperson for Polaris, the organization that runs the National Human Trafficking Hotline.

So she went to Target before she disappeared and bought snacks that weren’t found in her car? Her phone, purse, etc. were left but snacks were taken?

“Among the new details, police say after leaving the Colonnade Thursday, she went to Target on Highway 280 and purchased snack food that wasn’t found in her car when they found it on the side of Interstate 459.

Police also say they have found no evidence of a toddler walking down the interstate.”

LE scheduled a Press conference for tomorrow.

Well, well, well. I guess we know what she was doing leaning into the rear passenger side of the car.

Back to catching up on the thread.

Discussed this on this thread earlier but among other things, this tweet confirms that the description “unresponsive” was not a term used by medical staff but by whoever called 911, therefore very possibly did not carry the usual meaning employed when those in emergency medicine use it.

In context, the use of the word "unresponsive" was over dramatic.

I eagerly await LE's presser.

[/QUOTE]
Why wouldn’t she just get a frozen/microwave meal or something though? (If she was presumably headed home.) I’d assume since she was picking up food for herself and her mom they would’ve eaten their meals together so was she just gonna snack on her drive back and watch her mom eat back home?

no hate on you (just for clarity) it’s just another thing that’s puzzled me.

also if the food she ordered had been left in the car, the potentially kidnapper/s could have taken the snacks only due to them being sealed and easy to keep.
And, if she was going to take the time to go to Target for snacks to replace the missing order from Taziki’s, why not just wait at Taziki’s for them to correct the order?
Edited to remove Ghostwheel’s quote

I’m reluctant to write this but many a parent has discovered a child has substance abuse issues only after unusual behaviour arises, including problems such as theft and flunking courses.

And on the other hand many parents rescue their children and don't allow them to experience natural consequences to mature into successful adults.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
palenp