AL - Carlethia “Carlee” Russell, 25, faked own abduction, Birmingham, 13 Jul ‘23 #5

As someone with a newly diagnosed heart condition after a lifetime of good health, this is scary as all get out to me.

Seems criminal charges could/would/should result.

I’d like to know the rest of the story.

Culpability, accountability, responsibility, honesty—are they just figments of my imagination?

Yes. It was at the VA. No one lost their job, because of the union. This was prior to everything being electronic, we had paper charts back then. Now, things are far different, no one can access meds or items without keying in a code. Before, you could just pick stuff off of a cart.

Situations like that, are probably why ICU is so open now, and dialysis is completely open.

Things are much better in Healthcare, probably due to situations like this. But still, lying and working in Healthcare is probably not a good combo.

Actually, it is only a misdemeanor charge, nothing to do with violence or drugs. I believe that the larger problem will be if her employer files charges for theft. More employers have issues with the theft from a former employer. And the subsequent discharge. If nothing else, it is probably more of a problem for her nursing degree.

I have worked in healthcare, and saw someone die, because the nurses didn't want to disclose what occurred just prior to a man going into cardiac arrest. The doctor on call kept asking who was the last one to give him anything, and what was it...because they didn't want to "get in trouble" a man died. Craziest thing I ever saw.

The problem isn't with a conviction or not, it's the background check run by any company during their onboarding process.

I did recruiting for a big yellow school bus company, where everyone received an offer provided they passed a drug test and background check.

Her online presence and falsification of a kidnapping would disqualify her except where state law requires employers to consider people with certain types of criminal histories.

She won't make it through the onboarding process as no company would risk a lawsuit having her responsible for the safety of children.

Does this mean she only has to serve one year in jail if convicted or two?

"Carlee Russell was charged with false reporting to law enforcement and falsely reporting an incident, both misdemeanors that carry up to a year in jail."

I read it as 1 year per misdemeanor, but then again 1 year sounds a lot for each?

Does this mean she only has to serve one year in jail if convicted or two?

"Carlee Russell was charged with false reporting to law enforcement and falsely reporting an incident, both misdemeanors that carry up to a year in jail."

If they wanted to drop the hammer on her, she could be sentenced to the maximum (1year) for each, to be served consecutively, giving her 2 years.
If they wanted to be lenient, they could give her 3 months for each, to be served concurrently, which would give her a sentence of 90 days. It all depends on the prosecutor, the judge, and the jury, if one is used.

If they wanted to drop the hammer on her, she could be sentenced to the maximum (1year) for each, to be served consecutively, giving her 2 years.
If they wanted to be lenient, they could give her 3 months for each, to be served concurrently, which would give her a sentence of 90 days. It all depends on the prosecutor, the judge, and the jury, if one is used.

If people are going to do all they can to laws changing the consequences for this type of crime from a misdemeanor to a felony, if convicted she will probably get the max.

The bill would include stiffer prison sentences and mandatory restitution requirements for the full cost of resources expended by law enforcement agencies during a fake abduction.

Might help to prevent any copycat behavior ?
Omo.

The bill would include stiffer prison sentences and mandatory restitution requirements for the full cost of resources expended by law enforcement agencies during a fake abduction.

Might help to prevent any copycat behavior ?
Omo.
I think it definitely would be a deterrent, yes.

I suspect she’s probably sticking with family.
@SMK777
If family is "sticking w her," she's more fortunate* than some others charged w similar criminal offenses.

Of course, as some posters here noted here, it's possible her family has been "sticking up for her" far too many times and for far too long. I tend to agree.
jmo

ETA: Appears parents are likely footing the bill for her crim def atty, likely running the meter at a rate not many other parents could afford to pay or be willing to pay. jmo

Last edited:

I had to post this because I think the premise by the author of the article that introducing legislation to try and prevent future faking of incidents such as this, is (wait for it) RACIST!!! Read it for yourself and see what you think. I think it is ridiculous.

I had to post this because I think the premise by the author of the article that introducing legislation to try and prevent future faking of incidents such as this, is (wait for it) RACIST!!! Read it for yourself and see what you think. I think it is ridiculous.
Russell and Panini are apples and oranges. No law was needed because her crime was lying to federal offices, she faced 5 years for that and a $250,000 fine. Prior to her plea agreement she was also set to be prosecuted for mail fraud which carries a max 20 years and another $250,000 fine.

If people saw Ms. Russell facing similar strength penalties for her theft of city and state resources, nobody would be trying to get a law passed. Dragging Papini into it only serves to highlight how much more strictly her case has been pursued by the feds than the case being built by local prosecutors against Russell and how disparate the sentences are for each depending on the venue. MOO

ETA I don't believe Jemel is referring to Sorensen he is referring to Papini, the author of the article is mistaken about that.

Last edited:

I'm pretty sure we all saw that one coming a mile away.

jmo

So, I think the media as well as the public can’t have it both ways, the media over sensationalized this case only adding to the public outrage of an immature woman doing something very very foolish that wasted the time and resources of the Birmingham community and LE in which she’s being held accountable and hopefully getting the help she needs for a more well balanced productive life. Her case made headlines every day. That national coverage only increased upon her voluntarily return home with false claims that unfortunately her parents publicly supported. Combined actions and the high profile attention placed pressure on LE and the justice system to respond swiftly to the public demands that she be punished to the max. The media should have redirected their attention to truly missing persons instead of further inciting an already outraged public. The media is creating a divisive atmosphere all for ratings and using social media all for financial gain- they should put the spotlight on themselves.
JMO, MOO, MHO

31 y/o Cali. “momfluencer” 2020 Lied re Kidnapping; Convicted 2023
.... ETA I don't believe Jemel is referring to Sorensen he is referring to Papini, the author of the article is mistaken about that.
@tlcya Kinda sorta similar events.
Briefly, my summary from LE press release:*
Sorenson w her two small, children in store saw a couple.
That a.m. went to police stn, reported couple as acting suspiciously, told LE she did not want anyone arrested, but to draw attn to suspicious couple.
Later on her Insta vid, she said couple tried to kidnap her kids.
LE investigated, concluded her claim was unfounded.

From NYPost ** April 2023:
"Sorensen was charged in April 2021 with two misdemeanor counts of making a false report of a crime.
"Following her guilty verdict, Sorensen was remanded into custody and her bail was set to $100,000."

From NYPost *** Aug 8 2023 (article w Jemele Hill opn on X / Twitter)
"The California example likely refers to the recent jury conviction of Kathleen Sorensen, who made a false report blaming a Latino couple for trying to kidnap her children in 2020.
"In 2023, a judge gave Sorensen a 90-day prison sentence."

White woman did not get off scot-free.****

* Not so briefly:
Early Dec. 2020 Petaluma CA. LE press release. PRESS RELEASE: SUSPICIOUS CIRCUMSTANCES UPDATE from Petaluma Police Department : Nixle
"Monday December 7, 2020 at approximately 10:32 a.m., a woman drove to the Petaluma Police Department to report suspicious behavior exhibited by two adults (a man and woman) at Michael’s craft store on North McDowell Boulevard.
The woman reported being followed inside the store by the couple as she shopped while pushing her two young children in a stroller. The woman said the couple made comments concerning the appearance of the children.
The couple was said to have followed the woman to her car, where the couple lingered near the stroller as the woman placed her children in the vehicle.
On Monday December 7, 2020 the woman said she did not want anyone arrested but wanted to draw attention to the concerning behavior exhibited by the couple. Petaluma Police Department patrol officers had searched the area where the incident occurred but were unable to locate the involved parties. At the time this incident was initially reported, there was insufficient evidence to establish that a crime had occurred.
On Monday December 14, 2020 the Petaluma Police Department became aware of a social media post made by the reporting party in which she recounted and elaborated upon the aforementioned incident; this post included information that had not been initially presented to the Petaluma Police Department on December 7, 2020.
A still photograph from the store’s security video system contains an image of the couple identified by the reporting party as persons of interest in this matter (see attached).
Petaluma Police Department officers and detectives have subsequently conducted follow-up; inconsistencies between the two accounts of the incident need to be resolved before criminal charges can be considered.

Update Dec. 16, 2020 at same LE link ^.
"The Petaluma Police Department has been in contact with the persons of interest from the incident of December 7, 2020 at Michael’s crafts in Petaluma. Contact was established through social media, and they are cooperating with the investigation."

** California social media influencer convicted of lying about children’s kidnapping

*** Jemele Hill spots racism in ‘overzealous’ reaction to Carlee Russell kidnap hoax: ‘Do some critical thinking’

**** FWIW "scot-free: completely free from obligation, harm, or penalty"

BTW
Her insta Login • Instagram And a google search w her Insta handle:

except Jemele Hill's quote in the article referred to a CA woman who falsely reported her own abduction by two persons who were Latino was actually spending three weeks with her boyfriend. - that isn't Sorenson. That is Papini all day. From the article
-----------------------------------------------------------------

A white woman just lied in California about being kidnapped by two Latino people and it turns out she’d spent 3 weeks with an old boyfriend
Jemele Hill spots racism in ‘overzealous’ reaction to Carlee Russell kidnap hoax: ‘Do some critical thinking’

Sorenson's hoax was that two Latino persons attempted to abduct her children at a Michaels craft store. Sorenson reported a possible abduction attempt of minor children that wasn't completed that turned out to be a hoax.

Papini reported an abduction by two Latino females who held her hostage for three weeks and tortured her while the married mother was laid up in hiding with an ex boyfriend.

except Jemele Hill's quote in the article referred to a CA woman who falsely reported her own abduction by two persons who were Latino was actually spending three weeks with her boyfriend. - that isn't Sorenson. That is Papini all day. From the article
-----------------------------------------------------------------

A white woman just lied in California about being kidnapped by two Latino people and it turns out she’d spent 3 weeks with an old boyfriend
Jemele Hill spots racism in ‘overzealous’ reaction to Carlee Russell kidnap hoax: ‘Do some critical thinking’

Sorenson's hoax was that two Latino persons attempted to abduct her children at a Michaels craft store. Sorenson reported a possible abduction attempt of minor children that wasn't completed that turned out to be a hoax.

Papini reported an abduction by two Latino females who held her hostage for three weeks and tortured her while the married mother was laid up in hiding with an ex boyfriend.
@tlcya Thank you for responding.
Agreeing that Jemele's references on her X /Twitter a/c were jumbled up, not accurate.

But IIUC, Jemele was citing Sorenson as an ex. of a white woman not facing justice for lying re kidnapping.
As I posted, "kinda sorta similar" events --- events being lying re kidnapping.

Or I may have misunderstood Jemele's point. Or if I'm misreading yours, my apologies. Heading to kitchen for more caffeine.

@tlcya Thank you for responding.
Agreeing that Jemele's references on her X /Twitter a/c were jumbled up, not accurate.

But IIUC, Jemele was citing Sorenson as an ex. of a white woman not facing justice for lying re kidnapping.
As I posted, "kinda sorta similar" events --- events being lying re kidnapping.

Or I may have misunderstood Jemele's point. Or if I'm misreading yours, my apologies. Heading to kitchen for more caffeine.
no worries. I think Jemele was referring to Papini but think the author who wrote about the tweets thought Hill was referring to Sorenson. That is what I meant to articulate. I agree that there are similarities with all cases. But also many differences.

I just think Jemele could have used a better example of someone getting off lightly given that Papini was pretty fairly trounced by the public and the feds for her folly regardless of her skintone. And I agreed with Papini being pursued so doggedly for that folly. just as I think Russell should be. I have no strong opinion about the proposed law change Hill is tweeting about.

Sometimes I think its a kneejerk reaction to rush out and make a new law about something. I am of the opinion that we need to worry about enforcing the ones we already have before we run out to make till more that will also not be enforced or enforced fairly and equally. But that is a whole 'nother conversation not meant for this thread.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bcamcrane
Back