AL AL - Missing Dora Ruth Smith thought to be buried on property in Florence since April 24, 1977

MadMcGoo

Staff member
Reaction score

Dora Ruth Smith

smith_dora.jpg

Smith, circa 1977

Missing Since: 04/24/1977
Missing From: Florence, Lauderdale County, Alabama
Classification: Endangered Missing
Sex: Female
Race: White
Height and Weight: Unknown
Clothing/Jewelry Description: A nightgown.
Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian female. Gray hair. Smith wears dentures, but these were left behind.

Details of Disappearance​

Smith was last seen at her residence in the 400 block of Weakly Street in Florence, Alabama on April 24, 1977. She apparently left her house in the middle of the night, leaving behind her dentures, purse, house key and all her clothes, and has never been heard from again. Her husband said he saw her get into a lime green Ford LTD. Her son reported her missing days later.

In 2003, the residents of Smith's former home found a letter signed with her name. It had been placed in an envelope with $200 and hidden under the wallpaper in the bedroom. The letter read, "They are trying to take my food away and kill me. Please help me."

Authorities searched the residence, and dug underneath a shed, but nothing further was found. Smith's case remains unsolved.

Investigating Agency​

Florence Police Department

The Times Daily article makes it clear what the rumors in the neighborhood were.

But the note that was found makes me wonder about the possibility of paranoia/dementia/etc. and that she may have run away—somewhere—a story that wouldn’t have had a happy ending, either.

How difficult would it really be to find out what, if anything, was under that shed? I assume that the science of ground-penetrating radar has improved in the last two decades. Would it be any help?

But the note that was found makes me wonder about the possibility of paranoia/dementia/etc. and that she may have run away—somewhere—a story that wouldn’t have had a happy ending, either.
It does. Hiding a letter with money in it under the wallpaper in bedroom. Who was intended to see/receive that and why would they need to be paid? Very odd.

"Her husband said he saw her get into a lime green Ford LTD." Really? In the middle of the night. Wearing only a nightgown. Does anybody else find that story as hinky as I do?

The news article says “Police were also told about a letter - presumably written by Ruth Smith, who was 47 at the time - that was found four months ago in an area of a bedroom. Mike Balentine, who lives in the house now with his sister, Stacy Balentine, said he found the letter and $200 between two pieces of wood at the top of the closet. Contents of the letter, which police have not yet seen, further heightened their suspicion.”

Strange thing is there’s an earlier (2007) version of that article which says the bit about it being found under wallpaper, as well as reporting on the contents. The version McGoo links to is from 2013.

Anyway, they dug a bit, didn’t find anything, and that’s…it?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zootopian2
Back