Alaska Airlines flight makes emergency landing after window blows out

A tire fell off a United Airlines flight as it took off from San Francisco International Airport on Thursday, initially bound for Japan. The diverted plane later landed safely at LAX.

"At approximately 11:35 a.m., United Flight 35 departing to Osaka lost a portion of landing gear tire during takeoff," a United representative said.

The tire debris landed in one of the airport's employee parking lots. There were no injuries reported.

Pretty fortunate no one was injured. I see this is the same flight that had return to SFO a month ago because they lost communications.

A former Boeing employee known for raising concerns about the firm's production standards has been found dead in the US.

John Barnett had worked for Boeing for 32 years, until his retirement in 2017.

In the days before his death, he had been giving evidence in a whistleblower lawsuit against the company.

Boeing said it was saddened to hear of Mr Barnett's passing. The Charleston County coroner confirmed his death to the BBC on Monday.

It said the 62-year-old had died from a "self-inflicted" wound on 9 March and police were investigating.

A former Boeing employee known for raising concerns about the firm's production standards has been found dead in the US.

In the days before his death, he had been giving evidence in a whistleblower lawsuit against the company.

Boeing said it was saddened to hear of Mr Barnett's passing. The Charleston County coroner confirmed his death to the BBC on Monday.

It said the 62-year-old had died from a "self-inflicted" wound on 9 March and police were investigating.

Just jumping off your post...

This makes me so mad. I can't imagine anyone not finding this questionable. I know this hotel. I've never been in it, but I've driven by it many times. It was said that his truck was in the parking lot of the hotel, as opposed to off site parking (The parking lot is tiny, imo, for that size of a hotel). I wonder if the truck was parked in the view of any surveillance cameras. Why would he take his life when he was about to give the last of his deposition??

This makes me so mad. I can't imagine anyone not finding this questionable. I know this hotel. I've never been in it, but I've driven by it many times. It was said that his truck was in the parking lot of the hotel, as opposed to off site parking (The parking lot is tiny, imo, for that size of a hotel). I wonder if the truck was parked in the view of any surveillance cameras. Why would he take his life when he was about to give the last of his deposition??

suspicious.

What is the name of the hotel? I agree it angers me too. I hope the investigation will reveal the truth of what happened. To me it sounds like he was a stand up guy that wanted to make a difference!

The Federal Aviation Administration auditors saw mechanics for a Boeing supplier using liquid Dawn soap as a lubricant for fitting a door seal, The New York Times reported.

The regulator then observed mechanics at Spirit AeroSystems, which builds the fuselage of Boeing's 737 Max, cleaning up using a wet cheesecloth, per The Times' Mark Walker.

These findings were part of a six-week audit documented in a set of FAA presentation slides upon which The Times based its report.

The slides said that Boeing had failed 33 of 89 product audits related to 737 Max production, while Spirit failed seven of 13 audits, per The Times

MOO - I think Boeing is not involved at all. Rather, the opposite, it was unexpected to the company. Thinking logically, any negative PR is bad for Boeing. Mr. Barnett was not such a threat as his knowledge of Boeing practices was limited by the year 2017. If I were to think of the simplest explanation, that would be: a private retired citizen had neither the nerves nor the means for a lawsuit against a large company. Against a major industry, even. Between the two, who can afford better lawyers? Add to it the stress of the deposition itself. He had to prove everything, and we don’t know what witnesses had said. Anything going on in Mr. Barnett’s life that could potentially cloud his judgement would surely come to surface. If any detail in his deposition was wrong, for example, the dates didn’t match, he could be afraid of a countersuit. Or maybe he didn’t want something very personal being revealed at the very last deposition, who knows? It was probably not an open-and-shut case, if it was long-running. (Add to it that perfectionistic, detail-oriented QC people are not necessarily adored by coworkers. Who knows what he heard about himself in the course of the court proceedings?) Anyhow, it is all very sad. RIP, Mr. Barnett.

Reminds me of Stockton Rush's attitude.
Yes, and if one remembers what another whistleblower, a private person, David Lockridge, had to go through after his report to OSHA, the lawsuit against OceanGate that was settled out of court, the nondisclosure agreement that he signed, how OceanGate presented his behavior, including childish practical jokes, and the main fact that even now, Lockridge is not commenting on the case, one can imagine the level of stress such plaintiffs are subjected to. Considering that OceanGate was a small company, and as I suspect, Mr. Lockridge had far better nerves than Mr. Barnett.

Despite interviewing employees who work at Boeing’s Renton, Washington facility that assembles the 737 Max, as well as collecting other paperwork, the National Transportation Safety Board says it has not determined who in Boeing’s factory worked on the door plug that left the factory with missing bolts and later blew out on an Alaska Airlines passenger flight in January. Boeing recently said it has searched for records but believes its employees did not document the work.

Despite interviewing employees who work at Boeing’s Renton, Washington facility that assembles the 737 Max, as well as collecting other paperwork, the National Transportation Safety Board says it has not determined who in Boeing’s factory worked on the door plug that left the factory with missing bolts and later blew out on an Alaska Airlines passenger flight in January. Boeing recently said it has searched for records but believes its employees did not document the work.

Well that is a little disturbing, isn't it?

To me it is from the point of myself when I inspected IC’s, from bare silicon wafer to the finished ic and that was an inspection between every step in the process. As an inspector 400x microscope my stamp ,initals & date was on every step.

This is worrisome that there is no accountability for missing parts much less parts that are not torqued properly.

Jmo

Simple question. I suppose there is certain security at Boeing, electronic locks or such. If an employee uses an electronic key or a badge to open the door, shouldn't there be some electronic trace, day by day? I don't think it was deliberate sabotage, but at a certain point, Boeing might ask itself, what's going on at the plant? Lack of electronic trace would be concerning. It would be helpful to at least identify a group working on that day.

Simple question. I suppose there is certain security at Boeing, electronic locks or such. If an employee uses an electronic key or a badge to open the door, shouldn't there be some electronic trace, day by day? I don't think it was deliberate sabotage, but at a certain point, Boeing might ask itself, what's going on at the plant? Lack of electronic trace would be concerning. It would be helpful to at least identify a group working on that day.
It is my understanding that this type of maintenance is required to be well documented. Where, what, who, why, how. If it was not, I assume the NTSB then asks for more records to see if it this a systemic problem of not documenting maintenance or if this was just a once off. It seems inexplicable that the workers who would have done this work can't be identified.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back