Alaska Airlines flight makes emergency landing after window blows out

There is not enough money in the world you could pay me to step foot in a MAX plane.

These passengers were very lucky. I doubt it will be the last we hear of more problems with MAX 's.

I know nothing about Maxes. Why do you say that, other than the incidents detailed here? Are they known to cause a lot of problems? Is there any airline that doesn't use them? I know you can see what plane you'll be riding in when you book your flight, but this sometimes changes in my experience so curious how to avoid a Max?

I know nothing about Maxes. Why do you say that, other than the incidents detailed here? Are they known to cause a lot of problems? Is there any airline that doesn't use them? I know you can see what plane you'll be riding in when you book your flight, but this sometimes changes in my experience so curious how to avoid a Max?
There have been many accidents worldwide re the Maxes.

another reason to keep your seat belt secured and the overhead compartments closed.... :(
Agreed.
At the time of the window/inactive door failure... I'm assuming --as the photos showed they were already descending -- that all of the passengers were belted in ?
Think what issues AA would be facing, if one or more passengers had been blown out of the aircraft !!
Thankfully this didn't happen.
Holy cow.

I don't fly very much, preferring road trips, but I've always felt fairly safe in the air.
However if there's trouble, it can be catastrophic !
Omo.

Agreed.
At the time of the window/inactive door failure... I'm assuming --as the photos showed they were already descending -- that all of the passengers were belted in ?
Think what issues AA would be facing, if one or more passengers had been blown out of the aircraft !!
Holy cow.
Omo.
The door panel blew off while they were cruising to the desired altitude and that is why they were wearing seatbelts . My husband was 2 rows ahead of the hole in a window seat.

The door panel blew off while they were cruising to the desired altitude and that is why they were wearing seatbelts . My husband was 2 rows ahead of the hole in a window seat.
Glad your husband is ok !
Did he say anything about what the pressure was like in the cabin ?
Was everything flying about inside ?
Had to be so nerve-wracking for him and the others. :(

Hoping they locate the window/door so this doesn't happen again.
Omo.

I truly hope the door and other parts are found and turned over. So any locals on various forums are saying "finders' keepers". I don't want this incident to happen again because it is a physiological mess for all passengers and crew. My husband still is reeling from the gravity of the situation.

Attachments

• plane.jpg
    plane.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 2
Glad your husband is ok !
Did he say anything about what the pressure was like in the cabin ?
Was everything flying about inside ?
Had to be so nerve-wracking for him and the others. :(

Hoping they locate the window/door so this doesn't happen again.
Omo.
They were still cruising so it the air situation wasn't dire but many passengers were getting scared and that is when breathing issues occur in this type of situation. The majority used the masks until the Captain was given permission to get back to the desired altitude and most mask were off when they got really low while doing a huge circle over Portland Metro which is a big area. I just freaked knowing my husband saw our house area when circling. A lot of items got sucked out and ppl close to the hole had red faces. My husband said his ears were popping alot. Many goodbye texts from passengers. I never want anyone to experience this because it is awful.

A lot of lost cell phones are pinging today in areas where residents live according to local reports, so passengers are looking for their phones. A lot have been found outside the circle the NTSB highlighted for the path of the plane and when the plane circled around the metro area. LE will be busy today

Agreed.
Holy cow.

I don't fly very much, preferring road trips, but I've always felt fairly safe in the air.
However if there's trouble, it can be catastrophic !
Omo.
According to the articles I read, they were ascending to 16,000 feet when it happened. They immediately descended to 10,000 feet.

A lot of lost cell phones are pinging today in areas where residents live according to local reports, so passengers are looking for their phones. A lot have been found outside the circle the NTSB highlighted for the path of the plane and when the plane circled around the metro area. LE will be busy today
Miracle no one was injured or worse by the debris by sounds of it

Boeing 737 mid-cabin exit door plug option.
This video shows installation of the door, locking mechanism, etc. It’s definitely worth a look.

I wonder how often this is removed for maintenance?

This ain't the same Boeing company who built B-17's in WWII, or the iconic 747.

"As part of the investigation by the FAA and the congressional committee, Boeing released internal emails where Boeing pilots noted “This airplane is designed by clowns, who in turn are supervised by monkeys”, in discussing the 737 MAX" Ouch!

This ain't the same Boeing company who built B-17's in WWII, or the iconic 747.

"As part of the investigation by the FAA and the congressional committee, Boeing released internal emails where Boeing pilots noted “This airplane is designed by clowns, who in turn are supervised by monkeys”, in discussing the 737 MAX" Ouch!
Yeah, my husband said that McDonell-Douglas took them over and made major cuts. From Google: Following Boeing's 1996 acquisition of Rockwell's North American division, McDonnell Douglas merged with Boeing in August 1997 in a US$13 billion stock swap, with Boeing as the surviving company.

Last edited:

From the above article: Photos show a hole in the jet where an emergency exit is installed when it is configured to carry a maximum number of passengers. Alaska plugs those doors because its 737-9 jets don’t have enough seats to trigger the requirement for another emergency exit. The window seat next to the destroyed section of the plane was unoccupied but the force ripped the shirt off a teenager in the middle seat, leaving his skin reddened and legs bruised from the sudden decompression, a passenger said.

Alaska grounded 150 flights, stranding I think 23,000 passengers I read. This is going to majorly cost them business, on top of the <modsnip> pilot on the other flight.

Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Migrant