April 22 weekend of Sleuthiness

Status
Not open for further replies.
:great:
When you have a ton of situations that could easily be explained individually, the sum of them looks very damning.

Only if you want them to. And there are clearly people on this board who will not get past their emotions...kind of a can't see the facts because of the dead body. JMO obviously.

You think the whole police department is crooked, I think one individual is crooked.

Exactly. The number of people who have to be made (speculatively) into corrupt, lying, manipulative criminals with mountains of covert activity to cover up, just to make this one man innocent, is a stretch that defies common sense.

41 seconds or not, that's where her body was found. It stands to reason he wasn't looking for a place; he had already found it and was making sure he knew how to get to it quickly.

But because of the discrepencies over the timeststamps, WHEN that search was made has been very much called into question for me. It doesn't take an entire police department to be crooked. Changing the timestamps could have easily been done as a part of the concerted effort on the part of le to get a guilty verdict. I mean if they really believe that he is guilty I can imagine changing the timestamps in case that has such little evidence despite the complexity of the crime might have been an eh, what is going to hurt type of moment.

Exactly. The number of people who have to be made (speculatively) into corrupt, lying, manipulative criminals with mountains of covert activity to cover up, just to make this one man innocent, is a stretch that defies common sense.

Really it only takes one person and that person does not even have to be LE. One person doing a couple of Google searches for simple tools to complete the task for them.

A lot, but not all, can be explained by incompetence or petty manipulation. Notice how different the detectives were on cross, all the things that had a really different meaning with additional context.

I am waiting until the rest of the evidence is in before I reach a final verdict on CPD or BC.

:great:

Only if you want them to. And there are clearly people on this board who will not get past their emotions...kind of a can't see the facts because of the dead body. JMO obviously.

Emotions and facts are mutually exclusive? Thanks for the head's up!

Even if CPD lied, manipulated, or was inept... BC still killed her. Because they wouldn't be in collusion with a killer.

Back to reality for a second, forgetting every crime show you've ever seen on tv.

Planting evidence is a crime. A lot of people's careers are at stake. One unsolved murder isn't going to be the end of a career, but planting evidence in such a high-profile case would be.

So back to crime, which begs means, motive and opportunity. The defendant definitely had the means to manipulate files...if he didn't have full admin rights, those means might have been curtailed. Motive to clear the search would be obvious. Opportunity would be obvious too - he could log into the network at will.

LE: means, possibly. They'd have to get in, plant the stuff, and get out undetected. Motive, questionable...given it could wreck careers...and in light of that, you'd think if they could get that far in, they'd make sure everything added up. Opportunity - either it was collusion with all involved, or a renegade LE computer whiz...in which case the whole chain of custody testimony was perjury.

Given Brad's bent towards surreptitious computer activity, given his network access capability, given the fact that they went to lunch just after the time given for the google search, it's entirely possible he didn't have time to go in and delete it to his satisfaction...did it at a later date, and incompletely.

If LE planted the evidence, why do it in such a time frame as they did? Why not plant it for when he was firmly in the office, not getting ready to leave for lunch, given the the time they left isn't engraved in stone?

Common sense.

Very good thoughts here BC. I totally agree.

But because of the discrepencies over the timeststamps, WHEN that search was made has been very much called into question for me. It doesn't take an entire police department to be crooked. Changing the timestamps could have easily been done as a part of the concerted effort on the part of le to get a guilty verdict. I mean if they really believe that he is guilty I can imagine changing the timestamps in case that has such little evidence despite the complexity of the crime might have been an eh, what is going to hurt type of moment.

So - with the chain of custody testimony in mind, someone from LE committed perjury on top of it all?

To what end? What is the big motivation for neighbors, family, friends and LE to frame someone who's innocent? What is the big collective benefit?

41 seconds or not, that's where her body was found. It stands to reason he wasn't looking for a place; he had already found it and was making sure he knew how to get to it quickly.

Bottle cap, I am guessing that you do not live in north Carolina. Malfeasance by LE or the DA's office comes to light on a regular basis here. Right now the Durham DA is fighting off allegations of malfeasance. And this is not even the same DA that was in office when the Duke Lacrosse čaše was at issue. It is WHY the Inncoence Commsion was created in the first plaće. LE is not beyond reproach by anyone's standards.

So - with the chain of custody testimony in mind, someone from LE committed perjury on top of it all?

To what end? What is the big motivation for neighbors, family, friends and LE to frame someone who's innocent? What is the big collective benefit?

To avoid discovery of somebody who is not innocent?

Even if CPD lied, manipulated, or was inept... BC still killed her. Because they wouldn't be in collusion with a killer.

If somehow someway tampering is proven in this case, you can still convict? If the search is proven to be false, how do you know what really is the truth in this case anymore?

That's the underlying question. I don't think anyone is getting framed, but I can give you reasons why NC friends would be motivated to paint BC in the most negative light possible, regardless of truth.

That's the underlying question. I don't think anyone is getting framed, but I can give you reasons why NC friends would be motivated to paint BC in the most negative light possible, regardless of truth.

I can somewhat agree with how negatively Nancy's friends felt toward Brad. But I have no suspicion, whatsoever, that they were involved in framing him, especially via computer files.

Ok, now you're confusing me. They planted evidence for a time frame when he was at work. But that's not really what they'd want to do?

I'm sure, if they had access to everything he was doing, there'd be another gap in activity - sheesh, people go to the bathroom - that would be a firmer, more concrete time frame.

If I were to plant evidence in the form of a map file, the time stamp I'd choose would be between 1am and 5am the night of the murder. It is more believable that the killing was done in a fit of rage, and that there was a mad dash to destroy evidence in the wee hours of the morning. I was surprised to learn through this evidence that this murder was planned so far in advance.

We are on our way out the door for Easter dinner with middle son in Clayton. I hope each of you has a very special Easter day. Looking forward to checking back in later today to see what ideas you great sleuths have come up with!

We are on our way out the door for Easter dinner with middle son in Clayton. I hope each of you has a very special Easter day. Looking forward to checking back in later today to see what ideas you great sleuths have come up with!

Happy Easter. Enjoy your visit with family!

If I were to plant evidence in the form of a map file, the time stamp I'd choose would be between 1am and 5am the night of the murder. It is more believable that the killing was done in a fit of rage, and that there was a mad dash to destroy evidence in the wee hours of the morning. I was surprised to learn through this evidence that this murder was planned so far in advance.

What do you mean, it was planned so far in advance? The state is suggesting he did the google maps search of Fielding the afternoon before she disappeared.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roseashley592