AR AR - Debra Jean Vaughan / Debara Vaughn, 33, Greer's Ferry, 24 July 1993

juliank

Reaction score
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

6eeybEL.jpg

Debra Jean Vaughan – The Charley Project
"Debra was last seen at her residence in Greer's Ferry, Arkansas on July 24, 1993. She and her husband, Gerald W. Vaughan, had a history of domestic violence and they got into a physical argument the day before.

Debra went to spend the night with her mother, Dixie Bowling. She said she planned to leave Gerald, but she had to go back to their trailer home to get her belongings. She left Bowling's home at 6:00 a.m. and never returned.

Gerald told Bowling that Debra called him a few days after her disappearance and he believed she planned to embark on a transient life. She had a history of leaving home for several days at a time, and Gerald claimed she had traveled as far as Montana, Wyoming and Canada during her previous absences.

Bowling stated her daughter always kept in touch whenever she left home. She also said Gerald would typically become go looking for Debra if was gone for more than a few hours, but he did not behave this way after her July 24 disappearance.

The police were notified of Debra's disappearance within a few days or weeks, but there was no evidence of foul play and they did not begin a formal investigation until January 1994. By that time, Bowling had become convinced that Debra was deceased.

Some of Debra's belongings, including clothing, jewelry, makeup, a sewing machine and items her grandfather had owned turned up in a junk pile in Pine Snag in the southern part of Cleburne County, Arkansas a couple of months after the police began investigating her disappearance. An extensive search of the area turned up no other sign of her.

Debra left more valuable items behind in a safe deposit box. Her blue two-door 1980 Chevrolet Monte Carlo disappeared with her and has never been located. It has the Arkansas license plate number WWC696 and the vehicle identification number (VIN) 1Z37KAR452303.

Gerald is the last person known to have seen Debra and he is considered a person of interest in her disappearance. He has not been charged, however.

Bowling believes Debra and her car may be in Greers Ferry Lake. Her case remains unsolved."

This case came to my attention because of her mother's belief that her car may have been dumped in the lake. Is it possible that if it is there, it might be visible from satellite/Google Earth? I've heard of several missing persons that were found this way, though they were driving accidents and not vehicles that had been deliberately dumped.

Last edited by a moderator:
From the above CP link

Some agencies spell her name "Debara Vaughn."

Added to title, Namus has even a combination Debra Vaughn

An article from 2010

Debra Vaughn's family is convinced she did not leave on her own accord. They believe she was murdered and they are pleading for closure hoping someone will lead them to Debra's remains.

While authorities searched for clues Debra's mother and siblings did their own investigation, even going so far as hiring divers to search the Greers Ferry Lake where a psychic believed Debra's body would be found. Dixie Bowling says, "We came up here every weekend for over 3 years and worked the lake. My son and I spent everything we made for over 3 years."

Bowling believes Debra's husband could hold the key to solving the case. When Gerald Vaughn was interviewed by detectives in 1994 he denied fighting with Debra and said he had never assaulted her. He claimed right before she left he told her she needed to get help for her drinking problems. The next month according to a sheriff's report he said she called him and said she was not coming back because she had warrants for her in Arkansas. That was the last time he says he ever talked to her. But a check of Debra's record by detectives "produced no outstanding warrants".

Debra only has 2 exclusions:

Case Photo

Unidentified Person / NamUs #UP12683
Date Body FoundJune 06, 2014
StateVA
CountyNewport News

Case Photo

Unidentified Person / NamUs #UP6150
Date Body FoundNovember 07, 1998
StateVA
CountyStafford

6eeybEL.jpg

"Debra was last seen at her residence in Greer's Ferry, Arkansas on July 24, 1993. She and her husband, Gerald W. Vaughan, had a history of domestic violence and they got into a physical argument the day before.

Debra went to spend the night with her mother, Dixie Bowling. She said she planned to leave Gerald, but she had to go back to their trailer home to get her belongings. She left Bowling's home at 6:00 a.m. and never returned.

Gerald told Bowling that Debra called him a few days after her disappearance and he believed she planned to embark on a transient life. She had a history of leaving home for several days at a time, and Gerald claimed she had traveled as far as Montana, Wyoming and Canada during her previous absences.

Bowling stated her daughter always kept in touch whenever she left home. She also said Gerald would typically become go looking for Debra if was gone for more than a few hours, but he did not behave this way after her July 24 disappearance.

The police were notified of Debra's disappearance within a few days or weeks, but there was no evidence of foul play and they did not begin a formal investigation until January 1994. By that time, Bowling had become convinced that Debra was deceased.

Some of Debra's belongings, including clothing, jewelry, makeup, a sewing machine and items her grandfather had owned turned up in a junk pile in Pine Snag in the southern part of Cleburne County, Arkansas a couple of months after the police began investigating her disappearance. An extensive search of the area turned up no other sign of her.

Debra left more valuable items behind in a safe deposit box. Her blue two-door 1980 Chevrolet Monte Carlo disappeared with her and has never been located. It has the Arkansas license plate number WWC696 and the vehicle identification number (VIN) 1Z37KAR452303.

Gerald is the last person known to have seen Debra and he is considered a person of interest in her disappearance. He has not been charged, however.

Bowling believes Debra and her car may be in Greers Ferry Lake. Her case remains unsolved."

This case came to my attention because of her mother's belief that her car may have been dumped in the lake. Is it possible that if it is there, it might be visible from satellite/Google Earth? I've heard of several missing persons that were found this way, though they were driving accidents and not vehicles that had been deliberately dumped.
I grew up in this town and I went to school with her niece & nephew. First off, no you would not be able to see the car with satellite/Google Earth. Greers Ferry Lake is VERY deep. It is widely believed by the people that are from there that her car is in the Blue Crusher. Rock Crusher is a blue hole about 5 miles outside of Greers Ferry that was open to the public for many years. It is estimated to be at least 600ft deep. They have pulled a lot of stolen cars & motorcycles out of there. There are other vehicles in there, but they are too deep to retrieve. Rock Crusher is now used for shell and is no longer open to the public.

Also, just to put it out there. Gerald & his brother Johnny, (who I know personally), are both know to be assholes to their wives and very abusive.

Received an email that there was a reply to the thread - thought I would pop in and say that recently there was a dive/sonar team that apparently canvassed part of the lake to look for her car. I saw a few Facebook posts where the team mentioned they were stopping in Greers Ferry to look and then an announcement they haven't found anything.
Hopefully the attention has helped stir interest in the case a bit. At least now know we know where she isn't.

Arkansas Justice Project Post - Oct 25th 2023
Chaos Divers Search Conclusion Post - Oct 27th 2023

(Let me know if this post is formatted incorrectly - haven't been here in a while.)

Received an email that there was a reply to the thread - thought I would pop in and say that recently there was a dive/sonar team that apparently canvassed part of the lake to look for her car. I saw a few Facebook posts where the team mentioned they were stopping in Greers Ferry to look and then an announcement they haven't found anything.
Hopefully the attention has helped stir interest in the case a bit. At least now know we know where she isn't.

Arkansas Justice Project Post - Oct 25th 2023
Chaos Divers Search Conclusion Post - Oct 27th 2023

(Let me know if this post is formatted incorrectly - haven't been here in a while.)
Thank you for the update. Very happy to hear of the active searches.

I grew up in this town and I went to school with her niece & nephew. First off, no you would not be able to see the car with satellite/Google Earth. Greers Ferry Lake is VERY deep. It is widely believed by the people that are from there that her car is in the Blue Crusher. Rock Crusher is a blue hole about 5 miles outside of Greers Ferry that was open to the public for many years. It is estimated to be at least 600ft deep. They have pulled a lot of stolen cars & motorcycles out of there. There are other vehicles in there, but they are too deep to retrieve. Rock Crusher is now used for shell and is no longer open to the public.

Also, just to put it out there. Gerald & his brother Johnny, (who I know personally), are both know to be assholes to their wives and very abusive.
Where is this body of water..?

6eeybEL.jpg

It sounds like her husband has something to do with this. why would she leave more valubales behind and why would she dump the few things they found .why not pawn them or give them away.or leave them for her daughter.this has wrong all over it.

he could have drove up to lake Quachita.has anyone thought of that.its a very large lake .easy to get to from many places.just a thought!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back