Australia - 3 dead after eating wild mushrooms, Leongatha, Victoria, Aug 2023 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
In her media statement yesterday, she says that she purchased button mushrooms locally, and dried mushrooms from an Asian store in Melbourne some time ago, but cannot remember where that store is. Well wouldn’t this info put the wind up the cops if in fact it is true? It potentially means that many other customers of said shop and therefore innocent lives would be most definitely at risk. I smell a rat here. And there has not been any such deaths. My theory is she picked them herself, possibly a while ago and needed to hydrate them. And why would you toss the hydrator in the tip if this was just a totally and devastating mistake? Plus lying to the police that she ditched it long ago? I just dunno about this entire terrible saga.

New article and statement from Erin:

Highlights:
  • She wants to clear the record because she is stressed and overwhelmed by the deaths of her loved ones
  • Her ex-husband was invited but did not attend the meal
  • She states she used a mixture of button mushrooms from a supermarket chain and dried ones from an Asian grocery store
  • She admits she lied about dumping the food dehydrator a long time ago
  • She admits she dumped the food dehydrator off at a local tip (not sure what this is?) after talking to her children and her ex husband asked "is that what you used to poison them?"
  • She regrets not answering some police questions
  • Her children were not present at the time of the meal (they were at the movies), but they ate the leftovers the following night but she scraped off the mushrooms because her children "do not like mushrooms"
It blows my mind that she was feeding any part of that meal to her children after all her guests got sick.

If this is indeed a premeditated crime, how was it pulled off?

- a true beef wellington recipe calls for the mushrooms to be finely chopped and fried in olive with herbs. Gordon Ramsay’s version states to continue to cook them over high heat for about 10 minutes - once the mushrooms begin to release their juices. Then when all evaporated, you are left with a mushroom paste. Known as Duxelle. This is where I am perplexed. The chemist experts say that only a very small particle such as a 20 cent coin is enough to kill. The entire dish after cooking would have been permeated with this extremely toxic paste. Enclosed under a layer of proscuitto, wrapped over the seared beef, all enclosed in pastry and baked.

I am no expert, but I would imagine that the entire dish would have been thoroughly impregnated.

- She says that the guests served theirs first and she went last.
- So how did she avoid it?
- She also said that she scraped the mushrooms off the leftovers for her two children to eat the next day.
- She also says that she did become very ill and was hospitalised.

Very, very weird.

It blows my mind that she was feeding any part of that meal to her children after all her guests got sick.
I am finding it pretty hard to believe a lot of the statements now. Mostly due to the fact that she's admitted lying to the police previously. I understand she had her reasons for doing so, but it makes her following statements even less credible. All JMO

In her media statement yesterday, she says that she purchased button mushrooms locally, and dried mushrooms from an Asian store in Melbourne some time ago, but cannot remember where that store is. Well wouldn’t this info put the wind up the cops if in fact it is true? It potentially means that many other customers of said shop and therefore innocent lives would be most definitely at risk. I smell a rat here. And there has not been any such deaths. My theory is she picked them herself, possibly a while ago and needed to hydrate them. And why would you toss the hydrator in the tip if this was just a totally and devastating mistake? Plus lying to the police that she ditched it long ago? I just dunno about this entire terrible saga.
Yes, in my opinion the fact that there are no advisories or warnings about potentially lethal dried mushrooms having been sold by Asian grocers in Glen Waverley or button mushrooms sold near Karumburra speaks volumes about how seriously this claim is being taken by the relevant authorities.

There seems to be a little confusion amongst a few contributes here regarding the appliance that EP discarded at her local tip. It was a food dehydrator, used for drying foodstuffs, often to preserve them.

To the best of my knowledge there is no actual appliance for rehydrating dried foods, the simple application of water or water based liquid is sufficient to hydrate dried food.

Yes, in my opinion the fact that there are no advisories or warnings about potentially lethal dried mushrooms having been sold by Asian grocers in Glen Waverley or button mushrooms sold near Karumburra speaks volumes about how seriously this claim is being taken by the relevant authorities.

There seems to be a little confusion amongst a few contributes here regarding the appliance that EP discarded at her local tip. It was a food dehydrator, used for drying foodstuffs, often to preserve them.

To the best of my knowledge there is no actual appliance for rehydrating dried foods, the simple application of water or water based liquid is sufficient to hydrate dried food.
Yes agreed. I actually meant to say ‘dehydrate’. (Not hydrate)

- a true beef wellington recipe calls for the mushrooms to be finely chopped and fried in olive with herbs. Gordon Ramsay’s version states to continue to cook them over high heat for about 10 minutes - once the mushrooms begin to release their juices. Then when all evaporated, you are left with a mushroom paste. Known as Duxelle. This is where I am perplexed. The chemist experts say that only a very small particle such as a 20 cent coin is enough to kill. The entire dish after cooking would have been permeated with this extremely toxic paste. Enclosed under a layer of proscuitto, wrapped over the seared beef, all enclosed in pastry and baked.

I am no expert, but I would imagine that the entire dish would have been thoroughly impregnated.

- She also said that she scraped the mushrooms off the leftovers for her two children to eat the next day.

Very, very weird.
Somebody made a point last thread that possibly the deadly mushrooms have been dehydrated to powder form.
Then added to a mushroom gravy be a way to keep it contained.

Most beef wellingtons are served with gravy.

IMO this is a real possibility.

Only speculating though.

Very, very weird.

She made Beef Wellington Pies which are all separate serves. My thinking is the Death Caps went into the guests pies and she made one for herself with the button mushrooms. How she thought she could get away with this is beyond me, she didn’t even have a credible story to tell police. Maybe she just thought they would get sick and not actually die?

I wonder if police are looking into other unexplained illnesses / deaths of people she was connected to?

From the Daily Mail today…regarding a so-called death wall in Erin Patterson’s house…

“The tradesman says he was tasked with removing the imagery and words last year because the couple was preparing to sell the property, which fetched a price of $545,000 last August.

The images, which Daily Mail Australia has seen, include pictures of grave stones and bizarre scribbles with themes of death and destruction drawn in black and red ink - the latter used to symbolise blood.

'It was disturbing. We called it the death wall,' he tradie said.

'They were done by their (the Pattersons) daughter. It is pretty disturbing for mum to let the kids draw on their dining room wall.'

The poster-sized drawings featured two tombstones with daggers and decapitated heads, along with scribbles and dark quotes, including the words: 'you are dead by the sword'.

Another has the date 'August 1, 2021 with the words 'you will die within a year' written underneath.

Creepy find in home where Australia's mushroom poisoning took place

As someone who does not like mushrooms, no way would I eat something that was smeared with them and then scraped off. The mushroom flavor would remain behind. I know because people have fed me pizza, with the mushrooms picked off, and the whole slice is still tainted with the mushroom flavor. I'm thinking she is lying about feeding this same meal to the kids, or she is really messed up and didn't mind if her kids died. More likely she made the kids safe ones, like she probably did for herself.

She made Beef Wellington Pies which are all separate serves. My thinking is the Death Caps went into the guests pies and she made one for herself with the button mushrooms. How she thought she could get away with this is beyond me, she didn’t even have a credible story to tell police. Maybe she just thought they would get sick and not actually die?

I wonder if police are looking into other unexplained illnesses / deaths of people she was connected to?
Aha…That was another thought that I also had. I made individual pies for guests just recently (no death cap mushrooms), and I cut their initials out in pastry for the pie top decoration. Maybe she did that?

However, she has said that she ‘scraped the mushrooms’ off the kid’s leftovers. ???

Also wonder if she s******g herself when the Pastor awakens and talks! Yes, reckon you are spot-on about the police looking into the past instances. Hubby dodged a bullet once again by turning down the Saturday lunch invite.

Very, very weird.

My guess, and it's just a guess:
  1. She dehydrated the death cap mushrooms and then ground them into a powder.
  2. She used the powder to directly adulterated the four servings that her guests ate. Her portion (and the ones her children ate) never contained any poison.
  3. She claims that the others picked their plates first, which is a little unusual in and of itself. Usually, you would carve everyone's slice right at the table because it's an impressive presentation.
  4. She faked her illness at the hospital. Note that the doctors never kept her overnight and the cops claim that she didn't show any symptoms.

2. She used the powder to directly adulterated the four servings that her guests ate. Her portion (and the ones her children ate) never contained any poison.
  3. She claims that the others picked their plates first, which is a little unusual in and of itself. Usually, you would carve everyone's slice right at the table because it's an impressive presentation.
  4. She faked her illness at the hospital. Note that the doctors never kept her overnight and the cops claim that she didn't show any symptoms.
I (mostly) agree with your summation. IMO the police need a warrant for her entire house.

Somebody made a point last thread that possibly the deadly mushrooms have been dehydrated to powder form.
Then added to a mushroom gravy be a way to keep it contained.

Most beef wellingtons are served with gravy.

IMO this is a real possibility.

Only speculating though.
Yep. I initially thought gravy. But in her statement she says that she ‘scraped the mushrooms off’ the leftovers she served the kids next day.

Looking more and more like a web of lies. IMHO

Excellent points!
I have been discussing with medical partner just how she could have faked her illness. But seemed to recall somewhere in the media, that she presented to a hospital in Gippsland and was then transferred by ambulance to a Melbourne Hospital. Maybe this is either fanciful thinking or media misreporting. Also my guess.

I am finding it pretty hard to believe a lot of the statements now. Mostly due to the fact that she's admitted lying to the police previously. I understand she had her reasons for doing so, but it makes her following statements even less credible. All JMO
I am with you on this. Cannot believe much or any of this statement.
IMO

What to make of this? I have no idea ..

‘Creepy find in home where Australia's mushroom poisoning took place’

Creepy find in home where Australia's mushroom poisoning took place
According to the article, the creepy "death-themed" graffiti was done by the teenage daughter.

Not that surprising to me if a kid that age goes through a phase like that, being rebellious or trying to get a reaction out of the parents/ other adults.

Especially if surrounded by people who are very religious.

Parents may have allowed her to write/draw on the walls at home so she would be less tempted to vandalize the school or other public places.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member