Australia - 3 dead after eating wild mushrooms, Leongatha, Victoria, Aug 2023 #7 *Arrest*

Erin and her current legal team may be in agreement about moving the hearing. But it's interesting that she had a new barrister representing her. Especially when there was such a big splash not 6 weeks ago about her hiring Philip Dunn.

To switch lawyers yet again in such a short time does suggest a clash between client and attorney. Otherwise, why else would Dunn leave her team so quickly, even before the judge agreed to moving the hearing?

And I can't help but remember her written statement where she said she regretted listening to her first set of attorneys. (Personally, I think she should have listened to them. That written statement will be difficult for her to overcome, IMO.)

BBM
I guess we only have the media's word that Phillip Dunn KC was hired to represent EP. It may be that her legal team brought him in for his expert advice, but it was never intended for him to act for her in the court room. There are many possibilities. I wish we didn't have to guess.

The article is essentially about the varieties of mushrooms that foragers are finding in Victoria, then some foragers are asking others on an online mushroom forum to help identify them - in some instances to find out if they are edible or not.

There are photos (taken from the online forum) of lots of different types of mushrooms that foragers are finding. And they are finding them in quantity.
Saffron milk caps, porcini, Birch boletes, ink caps, shaggy parasols, slippery jacks and jills, rust gills, orange ping pong bat fungi, lawyer’s wigs, puff balls and stinkhorn.

One thing the article confirms is that there have been sightings of death cap mushrooms near Leongatha in South Gippsland - these sightings have been logged on the online mushroom forum.

Last edited:
BBM
I guess we only have the media's word that Phillip Dunn KC was hired to represent EP. It may be that her legal team brought him in for his expert advice, but it was never intended for him to act for her in the court room. There are many possibilities. I wish we didn't have to guess.

Magistrate Walsh confirmed at the last hearing that Phillip Dunn was no longer acting for EP.

He is quoted as saying to EP that he understood Phillip Dunn was no longer in the matter, and did she know who her solicitors said would be appearing. (He said this due to the audiovisual mixup where the prosecution and defence both initially signed on to the wrong audiovisual link. And EP knew it was Colin Mandy.)

It is stated in this (paywalled) article ... Accused killer mushroom cook fights for case hearing in Gippsland
(Article by Erin Pearson, Age crime and justice reporter)

Magistrate Walsh confirmed at the last hearing that Phillip Dunn was no longer acting for EP.

He is quoted as saying to EP that he understood Phillip Dunn was no longer in the matter, and did she know who her solicitors said would be appearing. (He said this due to the audiovisual mixup where the prosecution and defence both initially signed on to the wrong audiovisual link. And EP knew it was Colin Mandy.)

It is stated in this (paywalled) article ... Accused killer mushroom cook fights for case hearing in Gippsland
Thanks for that SouthAussie. Not being a subscriber I was unaware of those details. Much appreciated

Maybe Erin balked at Mr Dunn's hourly rate.

Maybe Erin balked at Mr Dunn's hourly rate.

Maybe, but I wouldn't think that Colin Mandy would be less expensive. He is Vice President of the Victorian Bar and has defended high profile crimes.

Phillip Dunn is Kings Counsel, and Colin Mandy is Senior Counsel, and there is no difference between the two barrister titles - according to the Australian Bar Association.

The only difference between a KC and SC is the name.

From your link:

In short:
Erin Patterson has formally pleaded not guilty to three counts of murder and five counts of attempted murder over the alleged mushroom poisonings of her family members.

Ms Patterson has also elected to have her case fast-tracked to a Victorian Supreme Court — a decision that means a committal hearing where police evidence is formally tested before a trial will not take place.

What's next? The case was adjourned to a directions hearing in the Supreme Court in Melbourne on May 23.

The Age is reporting that in court today there was also an amendment to the locations of three of EP's alleged previous attempts to murder her husband.

At Korumburra between November 16 and 17, 2021
At Howqua between May 25 and 27, 2022
At Wilsons Promontory on September 6, 2022

The Age is reporting that in court today there was also an amendment to the locations of three of EP's alleged previous attempts to murder her husband.

At Korumburra between November 16 and 17, 2021
At Howqua between May 25 and 27, 2022
At Wilsons Promontory on September 6, 2022
Why did these alleged charges of attempting to murder husband, seem to only appear after the ‘mushroom lunch’? If you genuinely thought your life was in jeopardy, especially after 3 alleged attempts, why the long delay in pressing charges? Hard to have evidence to support allegation or to defend them.

What am I missing?

Would anyone like to hazard a guess as to the cost of EP's defence?

Probably well more than $100,000. imo
It is going to be a LOT.

I looked at the trial/court fees payable to a SC (eg: first trial day $6,822 with every subsequent day $3,210) with additional fees for all of the mentions/filings/directions hearing/sentencing hearing etc.

On top of that ... solicitor fees, and whatever she has paid her first two lawyers.

Why did these alleged charges of attempting to murder husband, seem to only appear after the ‘mushroom lunch’? If you genuinely thought your life was in jeopardy, especially after 3 alleged attempts, why the long delay in pressing charges? Hard to have evidence to support allegation or to defend them.

What am I missing?

I don't know, but one would think there is some proof. Not only SP feeling ill (dr visits?) but maybe they have found evidence on the devices they have seized from EP's home.

One thing is for sure, EP and her lawyer must believe that EP would be committed to trial on the evidence, because they have decided to skip a committal hearing and go straight to trial.

imo

What am I missing?
Maybe she kept a diary. Jotted down her thoughts going way back.
Not thinking that anyone but her would ever see them.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oiueroiuweoiruoiwueroiuwe
Back