Australia - 3 dead after eating wild mushrooms, Leongatha, Victoria, Aug 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps the motivation was religious friction after all, when in an earlier post, I had assumed it would have been money.

It looks as if the Pastor's role was to be the Mediator at the lunch between Simon's parents and EP.

Most people who are religious don't believe in divorce, so perhaps the Pastor and Simon's parents had been trying to persuade Erin and Simon to remain married over the months leading up to this lunch but that's not what either of them wanted. Simon had become sick and tired of his parents going on and on about it so didn't turn up and Erin thought she would put an end to this discussion forever with her poisoned mushroom lunch.

All IMO

Last edited:
Extrapolating on this (also thoughts only with no evidence and plenty of baseless speculation)…

Could he have been involved in her parent/s’ death in order to access the inheritance. It’s a pretty big stretch to think that her mum was murdered, but if the ex was also poisoned last year, and the mother passed away in 2019, the timeline is close enough to make another death of someone close to her worth a second glance?

Poisoning him maybe makes sense if he knows what she did. Maybe he told his parents something, particularly after his hospitalization?

I read Erin is 48(ish) so natural causes for her mother’s passing is also likely. As others have asked though, where is the motive to harm these people if she already had wealth.
Oh 100% - I had already assumed this!

Snipped for emphasis.
Agree fully.
It’s too convenient that he didn’t eat any of it.
Her wealth has been reported as stemming from wise investments she made with her inheritance from her dead parents estate (I haven’t seen anything to suggest she was in this financial position prior to their death, but stand to be corrected). Quite possible that the exhusband had the same financial strategy in mind and was involved with this to create his own wealth stream.

Not sure if this article has been posted here yet, so here it is.

And quoting from the article “Erin and her two children did not become sick from the lunch as it's understood they ate a separate meal.”

And quoting from the article “Erin and her two children did not become sick from the lunch as it's understood they ate a separate meal.”

Thanks Neet. I also read this piece. If it is true that Erin and her children ate a seperate meal, to me this is a red flag.

If it was ignorance or an accident, surely the chef would have prepared the meal for herself also.

I understand the children having a seperate meal as imo some children can be a bit fussy or prefer different food to what the adults might be having.

BBM.

Last edited:
Thanks Neet. I also read this piece. If it is true that Erin and her children ate a seperate meal, to me this is a red flag .

If it was ignorance or an accident, surely the chef would have prepared the meal for herself also.

I understand the children having a seperate meal as imo some children can be a bit fussy or prefer different food to what the adults might be having.

BBM.
Even if no poisoning were involved, I would consider that a very rude and hostile gesture from my hostess. You invite people to your house to 'share a meal together', that's what hospitality means. Unless you're running a restaurant.

JMO

Perhaps the motivation was religious friction after all, when in an earlier post, I had assumed it would have been money.

It looks as if the Pastor's role was to be the Mediator at the lunch between Simon's parents and EP.

Most people who are religious don't believe in divorce, so perhaps the Pastor and Simon's parents had been trying to persuade Erin and Simon to remain married over the months leading up to this lunch but that's not what either of them wanted. Simon had become sick and tired of his parents going on and on about it so didn't turn up and Erin thought she would put an end to this discussion forever with her poisoned mushroom lunch.

All IMO
I seem to have got this wrong above.

The friend claimed Ms Patterson was desperate to get back together with her estranged husband.

IMO That's why he didn't attend the lunch as he had no interest in getting back with her.

'She wanted to get back with Simon and the family didn't want Simon to get back with her,' he said.

'They basically didn't think she was good enough for him in their eyes.

IMO That's why she poisoned them then. She had given up on getting back with Simon and she wanted them out of her life as they didn't think she was good enough.

'This wasn't just a lunch, it was an intervention with the pastor as mediator. That's why this lunch happened.'

Thanks Neet. I also read this piece. If it is true that Erin and her children ate a seperate meal, to me this is a red flag.

BBM.
100% agree. I mean unless you have situation where there are completely different dietary requirements, realistically most likely scenario is that you would prepare a meal to be shared by everyone (and in my household also the pet dogs!). It just seems all the more suspicious!

Her wealth has been reported as stemming from wise investments she made with her inheritance from her dead parents estate (I haven’t seen anything to suggest she was in this financial position prior to their death, but stand to be corrected). Quite possible that the exhusband had the same financial strategy in mind and was involved with this to create his own wealth stream.
This is getting silly now.

'She wanted to get back with Simon and the family didn't want Simon to get back with her,' he said.

RSBM. Is that were true, that they weren't supportive of her, why would they bother going to her home and having her cook dinner? What were they planning to say to her?

It's so odd a plan that it leaves me wondering if the purpose of the meeting/dinner was actually something else entirely.

RSBM. Is that were true, that they weren't supportive of her, why would they bother going to her home and having her cook dinner? What were they planning to say to her?

It's so odd a plan that it leaves me wondering if the purpose of the meeting/dinner was actually something else entirely.
It does seem very strange. As you say, there was no need for their involvement at all after Simon told her he had no wish to get back together.

My take is she wanted the family to pressure Simon to return to the marriage. Perhaps they'd done a little of that originally and then decided it was not their business. E interpreted their neutrality as unsupportive or hostile to herself. There would have been a campaign to shame her husband for having any needs of his own, as against the higher claims of 'family', 'the children', 'your sacred vows'.

I haven't been following the tabloid speculations, but they were grandparents/grand Aunt and Uncle of the children, and Christians. I think they would just accept an invitation to lunch without having any agenda.

JMO

Morning, I'm wondering if we'll get an update from LE today about the investigation.

I'm a bit skeptical of the ex husband being involved here if this was in fact deliberate. Yes, he could have benefited inheritance wise if he had poisoned his parents, but why would he do that at all? No reports that his relationship with his parents was strained at all. Granted, we don't know what happens behind closed doors either. But I just don't really get the feeling he is involved.

In fact, he lived with his parents after their separation, I think it’s likely he and his parents were on good terms. It was a family lunch, the grandkids are there, I don’t know any reason the grandparents say no unless they were made aware about the possible poisoning of their son, Moo.

Last edited:

Did I read that right? The article says (unless I read wrong) that HE picked the mushrooms that made him ill.

Yes, she cooked the meal but HE picked the mushrooms thinking they weren't toxic, and gave them to her to put in the pot.

That does change the feel of the earlier incident to me. This recent incident still baffling though.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member