Australia - 6 children die, several injured, jumping castle blown in air, Tasmania,16 Dec 2021

"The DPP has charged Taz-Zorb, the operator of the jumping castle, with a Category 2 offence under the Work Health and Safety Act 2012," work health and safety regulator Robyn Pearce said in a statement.

"This offence alleges that the operator failed to comply with a health and safety duty in a way that exposed the children to a risk of death or serious injury."

The decision to lay charges came after a "significant investigation" by staff at WorkSafe Tasmania over many months, she said.

And there it is. The operator didn't follow the safety instructions. And children died because of it.

From your linked article:

The DPP claims the manufacturer's instructions, which could be downloaded, clearly stated all anchorage points were needed, and there were illustrations detailing how to insert pegs into the ground.

It also alleges enough pegs were available on the day.

I hope this was an unpreventable accident, and I hope everyone involved can find some relief and peace

But the fact that charges have been laid means I assume something wrong is there though? Or would charges be pressed regardless in such a case?

I hope this was an unpreventable accident, and I hope everyone involved can find some relief and peace

But the fact that charges have been laid means I assume something wrong is there though? Or would charges be pressed regardless in such a case?
If you look at the link I posted about half a dozen posts up, the operators did not follow instructions for safe use. It was preventable.

MOO

I saw that. The problem is proving that's what caused the problem. It's possible they could have followed the instructions and it still would have happened with this weather event. In that case they would have been covered. Which is why you always follow the instructions. However it doesn't mean necessarily that it was preventable.

She seems to be the most vocal of the bereaved parents
Actually I haven't heard of any of the others speaking publicly
Are shenanigans like that a risk to the trial?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back