Australia Australia - Chidlow, WA, Mundaring Marksman Range, Male, 30-50, “Yakka” jeans, Aug'78

jassya

Reaction score
This is a strange case because there is a lot of information to go off, I believe it could have been solved at the time but I am completly unsure about what investigations they did.

Description
30-50 Years of age
Light Skinned
Aprox 175cm tall (5 foot 9)
Solid build
Dark brown hair
Found wearing grey cardigan witg green/grey and off white stripes, a grey/blue roll neck jumper and yellow skivvy, bone coloured "yakka" jeans, brown belt with silver buckle, red socks and "Palermo" brown leather shoes and a "Seiko" watch. Found near a "Mallabones" pig skin money belt.
Located just off Great eastern highway, near Chidlow rifle range and had a gunshot wound to the chest. 27/8/1978
He had been aprox deceased for 2-3 months.

Now I did some digging and although I couldnt see the watch serial number on the back, I do believe the watch was manufactured within sixteen months of this mans death. It was a very expensive watch that I believe could only be purchased in one store throughout that state, Smales Jewellers located just over an hour from where the body was found. I also did some digging on the pig skin belt found nearby and I found a leather company called "Mallabones" which could be the store. It is a 15-20 minute distance from Smales Jewelers. I could not find anything on the other brands, I have never heard of them.

I dont believe a facial sketch was ever done however there are photos of his clothes and watch, tell me if you can see what the watches number is. Possibly 75059?? 750595??

Here is a link to the photographs

Now, I also looked at missing persons reports. One seemed to match really well and the man (if still alive) may have been a target because his brother was murdered (by gun shot) in 1972 and he was presumed dead in South Australia, the man had spent time in Perth (which is where the two stores are) before leaving for South Australia, His name is Ante Unkovich.
He would have been in the right age gap, he was 172cm tall, had a stocky build, brown hair and a fair complexion.

Last edited:
This is a strange case because there is a lot of information to go off, I believe it could have been solved at the time but I am completly unsure about what investigations they did.

Description
30-50 Years of age
Light Skinned
Aprox 175cm tall (5 foot 9)
Solid build
Dark brown hair
Found wearing grey cardigan witg green/grey and off white stripes, a grey/blue roll neck jumper and yellow skivvy, bone coloured "yakka" jeans, brown belt with silver buckle, red socks and "Palermo" brown leather shoes and a "Seiko" watch. Found near a "Mallabones" pig skin money belt.
Located just off Great eastern highway, near Chidlow rifle range and had a gunshot wound to the chest. 27/8/1978
He had been aprox deceased for 2-3 months.

Now I did some digging and although I couldnt see the watch serial number on the back, I do believe the watch was manufactured within sixteen months of this mans death. It was a very expensive watch that I believe could only be purchased in one store throughout that state, Smales Jewellers located just over an hour from where the body was found. I also did some digging on the pig skin belt found nearby and I found a leather company called "Mallabones" which could be the store. It is a 15-20 minute distance from Smales Jewelers. I could not find anything on the other brands, I have never heard of them.

I dont believe a facial sketch was ever done however there are photos of his clothes and watch, tell me if you can see what the watches number is. Possibly 75059?? 750595??

Here is a link to the photographs

Now, I also looked at missing persons reports. One seemed to match really well and the man (if still alive) may have been a target because his brother was murdered (by gun shot) in 1972 and he was presumed dead in South Australia, the man had spent time in Perth (which is where the two stores are) before leaving for South Australia, His name is Ante Unkovich.
He would have been in the right age gap, he was 172cm tall, had a stocky build, brown hair and a fair complexion.
Welcome to Ws jassya!
From your link..
HOMICIDE - UNIDENTIFIED ADULT MALE – CHIDLOW WA 27/AUG/1978 - Crime Stoppers Western Australia
Chidlow.png

Chidlow-3.jpg

Chidlow-1.jpg

• The scene was 60 metres southeast of Great Eastern Highway and 35 metres from the entrance track to the Chidlow Rifle Range. It is unknown if this is the location the male was murdered, as there were indications at the scene, suggesting he may have been dragged to the location and partly concealed by branches. A forensic examination of the scene suggests the unidentified male may have been deceased for approximately 2-3 months

A post mortem examination revealed that the man had died of a gunshot to the chest."

I find this spooky because you seem to have gone down the same line of thinking I did.

I did a write up for r/UnresolvedMysteries on Reddit today and the description of the man stood out to me. I'm from the area and I know there are a lot of people descended from European migrants post-war and he's of the right age to be one of those migrants. The most common places people in the Swan Valley migrated from are Italy and Yugoslavia (or more specifically these days Croatia). The description made me think of a Croat.

Then I checked the missing persons cases and came across Unkovich - a Yugoslav migrant from Perth who seems to be the sort of person who might end up on the wrong end of a gun. I think it's unlikely due to the 6 year difference between the crimes but hot damn if Unkovich didn't grab my attention

I find this spooky because you seem to have gone down the same line of thinking I did.

I did a write up for r/UnresolvedMysteries on Reddit today and the description of the man stood out to me. I'm from the area and I know there are a lot of people descended from European migrants post-war and he's of the right age to be one of those migrants. The most common places people in the Swan Valley migrated from are Italy and Yugoslavia (or more specifically these days Croatia). The description made me think of a Croat.

Then I checked the missing persons cases and came across Unkovich - a Yugoslav migrant from Perth who seems to be the sort of person who might end up on the wrong end of a gun. I think it's unlikely due to the 6 year difference between the crimes but hot damn if Unkovich didn't grab my attention
Ante UNKOVICH
Ante UNKOVICH

UNKOVICH-Davor-brother-of-Ante-SA_393x500_zpsivnuotjl.jpg

• Missing since:Thursday, October 19, 1972
  • Jurisdiction:SA
  • Year of birth:1942
  • Age now:74
  • Height:172cm
  • Build:Stocky
  • Hair:Brown
  • Complexion:Fair
  • Reward offered:$200,000

Cold case detectives hope a recent DNA breakthrough in the case of an unidentified man found shot dead more than 40 years ago might finally give him a name.

The West Australian can reveal police have used new technology to extract a DNA profile from the man’s remains, which may give officers new and vital clues as to who the man was was and who might have killed him.

The man who has never been given a name or been formally identified was found shot dead in Chidlow on the outskirts of Perth on August 27, 1979.

Cold case detectives hope a recent DNA breakthrough in the case of an unidentified man found shot dead more than 40 years ago might finally give him a name.

The West Australian can reveal police have used new technology to extract a DNA profile from the man’s remains, which may give officers new and vital clues as to who the man was was and who might have killed him.

The man who has never been given a name or been formally identified was found shot dead in Chidlow on the outskirts of Perth on August 27, 1979.
I am also relatively local and this case has always intrigued me. His yellow polo was really stand out and although fashionable at the time, I could not imagine the average Aussie male wearing this, so sends me vibes of European, criminal king pin or possibly LGBT. It has been quoted as they were trying to obtain a gun, hence the rifle range?
There are still Unkoviches living in WA, I wonder if they have been contacted?
1672201025166.png

I am also relatively local and this case has always intrigued me. His yellow polo was really stand out and although fashionable at the time, I could not imagine the average Aussie male wearing this, so sends me vibes of European, criminal king pin or possibly LGBT. It has been quoted as they were trying to obtain a gun, hence the rifle range?
There are still Unkoviches living in WA, I wonder if they have been contacted?

I am unaware of any who have been, but they will be informed.

''CASE DETAILS:

Around 4.50pm on Monday 27 August 1979, the body of a deceased man was found in bushland near the Chidlow Rifle Range, Great Eastern Highway, Chidlow by a family bushwalking in the area.

The scene was 60 metres southeast of Great Eastern Highway and 35 metres from the entrance track to the Chidlow Rifle Range. It is unknown if this is the location the male was murdered, as there were indications at the scene, suggesting he may have been dragged to the location and partly concealed by branches. A forensic examination of the scene suggests the unidentified male may have been deceased for approximately 2-3 months

A post mortem examination revealed that the man had died of a gunshot to the chest.

The male’s standard of dress was smart casual and in good condition; he was not dressed for manual work or walking through the bush that surrounds the area where he was discovered.

Also located with the male was a men’s Seiko Actus watch, the watch is described as of good quality with a, kinetic action self-winding model that was current at the time. This watch was produced for and sold on the Japanese market.''

Unfortunately paywalled
.......Cold case detectives hope a recent DNA breakthrough in the case of an unidentified man found shot dead more than 40 years ago might finally give him a name.
He’d suffered a bullet wound to the chest...................
But Detective Inspector Darry Cox confirmed special crime squad homicide detectives, who handle all historical murder files, had “utilised new techniques” developed by Pathwest scientists which had enabled them to obtain a DNA profile from the man’s body. “Police have spent the past 40 plus years trying to identify the man,” Det. Insp. Cox said.
“Several reviews into the case have been done. One of those reviews did yield a DNA profile but as of yet that profile is yet to match up with any DNA on any databases.”
It’s understood the DNA profile was extracted from the man’s clavicle bone.
While detectives have not yet been able to get a match for the man’s DNA, the newly obtained sample is expected to be shared with other law enforcement agencies and uploaded onto other DNA databases soon in the hope it can lead to a potential match..........

I have gotten in contact with the next of kin as an Unkovich descendant myself
Oh WOW, certainly was not expecting this reply. For your families sake I certainly hope it is not your relative. Don't want to put you on the spot, but would appreciate you keeping us informed of the next of kin's reply, but only if you feel it is appropriate.

Chatting to my 85 YO Father yesterday and he brought up the recent WA news article regarding this case (could have knocked me over with a feather), he stated that he and his friend saw the 3 men walking east along Grt Eastern Hwy (in the bush) with two men on either side, holding onto the one in the middle who had a jacket over his head, one had a rifle. They reported it to the police, (twice) as it looked suspicious, but the police were not interested. The friend was so concerned he went back later and searched the bush but found nothing except a suitcase and all the clothes inside had the tags cut off. He handed the suitcase into the police. This happened some time before the body was found. When they heard the news that a body was found in the area, hence the second report. They were unable to give any description of the men as they were too far away except to say the middle person was wearing light coloured clothing. My father distinctly remembers the year as it was only a couple of months before my youngest brother was born. I know, not much help.

National Missing Persons Week 2023 (The Chidlow Rifle Range Case)
NMPCC Official Instagram Post

Can you solve the case?​

On the 27th August 1979, a deceased male was located in a shallow grave at Chidlow Rifle Range, just north of Perth, Western Australia. The male was found to be in decomposed state.

The male was found to have been shot in the chest.

He was of Eastern European descent, approximately 180cm tall with a solid build. He was found to be wearing the following items: Yaka brand bone trousers/pants, brown belt with silver buckle, grey zipper cardigan, blue roll neck jumper, yellow long sleeve skivvy, brown slip on shoes, Palermo brand (size 8), Seiko Actus watch, money belt, multicoloured underpants, red socks, handkerchief.

Reconstruction
1709437573022.png

Clothing/Accessories
1709437601362.png1709437606794.png1709437630970.png1709437645480.png1709437656340.png1709437665835.png1709437676807.png1709437698700.png1709437685159.png

I have gotten in contact with the next of kin as an Unkovich descendant myself
Hi, Haven't heard from you in a while so I was wondering if you were able to get any information?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HOLLYMOORE73
Back