Found Safe AUSTRALIA - Julie Schutt, 48, went for a walk, Streaky Bay, 7 May 2023

All I can say is that she must be one tough cookie.

ABC News have reported that Julie was lost and wandered around for 6 days. They have quoted Julie's brother...

"He said Ms Schutt had become lost and spent six days wandering around with no food or drink."

"As far as I know she went for a walk and got lost and disorientated and couldn't find her way back," he said.

"She was in the sand dunes area, which is heavily scrubbed … it was a long six days for her.

"She says she hasn't eaten or had a drink for the last six days, obviously it was very cold for her, not ideal conditions to be out there."

Julie's husband, Clifford, yesterday said she was in "surprisingly, really good health" given the circumstances.

Todd said his sister was still in hospital recovering and was severely dehydrated.

"She hopefully had a good sleep last night and is recovering," he said.

With Julie being last seen on CCTV at around 5pm, and sunset being at 5:45pm at this time of year, it would have been dark by about 6pm.

Not a good time of day to decide to go for a wander into the bush. And hubby had just gone off to get the dinner menus. He wouldn't have been far away if he went to the pub for the menus. Maybe they had an argument or something.

The pub is in the opposite direction from the direction Julie was seen walking.

"She was last seen about 5pm on the evening of May 7 at an address on Alfred Terrace in Streaky Bay." Link
(Beck's IGA, where the CCTV cameras can be seen, is on Alfred Terrace.)

Last edited:
With Julie being last seen on CCTV at around 5pm, and sunset being at 5:45pm at this time of year, it would have been dark by about 6pm.

Not a good time of day to decide to go for a wander into the bush. And hubby had just gone off to get the dinner menus. He wouldn't have been far away if he went to the pub for the menus. Maybe they had an argument or something.

The pub is in the opposite direction from the direction Julie was seen walking.

"She was last seen about 5pm on the evening of May 7 at an address on Alfred Terrace in Streaky Bay." Link
(Beck's IGA, where the CCTV cameras can be seen, is on Alfred Terrace.)
When Julie was found, she was 10kms from that last sighting.

Maybe the "dream holiday" wasn't such a dream for Julie.

Perhaps she spat the dummy over having to do the cooking , they had an argument and he went off to get dinner menus.

I've been thinking of this for awhile since I read about the dinner menus.

Last edited:
Another article just now, but it is paywalled, and I can't access it.

‘She just appeared’: Man who found miracle mum speaks​

A Streaky Bay man has told how his morning surf turned into a Mother’s Day “miracle”, after he stumbled across Queensland mum Julie Schutt.

I can't access it either, but thanks for posting it.

I found this one that I can read though I think it might also be paywalled

How Bruce Martin found Julie Schutt in bushland near Streaky Bay​

She came out of the dense pine trees holding a stick and flagged him down by waving.
But then he said she walked towards a farmhouse.

Another article just now, but it is paywalled, and I can't access it.

‘She just appeared’: Man who found miracle mum speaks​

A Streaky Bay man has told how his morning surf turned into a Mother’s Day “miracle”, after he stumbled across Queensland mum Julie Schutt.

It is the same article that Tootsie posted after you.

It says that two men, separately, saw Julie by the road. They both stopped, all she wanted was water. One man gave her his water bottle. She took it and walked off toward the farmhouse. Said something that sounded like "Leave me".
She looked dishevelled, covered in bits of bush, and as if she had spent a week in the scrub.

I think they were the ones who called emergency services. When emergency services showed up about 5 mins later, they went surfing.

Something else Julie said made them think she had been trying to get water from the hose at the farmhouse, but all the water had been turned off. Presumably, it was an unused/vacant house.

It doesn't sound as if Julie wanted to be found, but she may have needed to be found. imo

I was thinking that we might have been given an insight into Julie's ordeal, but so far no updates. What a shame, because we were all so invested in her welfare. Perhaps it will be a magazine story.

While it appears she was quite dehydrated, I think Julie must have had some access to water. There is no way she made it seven days with no water and was still ambulatory IMO. So, I don't need to know every detail, but I'd like to know how she survived.

Maybe the "dream holiday" wasn't such a dream for Julie.

Perhaps she spat the dummy over having to do the cooking , they had an argument and he went off to get dinner menus.

I've been thinking of this for awhile since I read about the dinner menus.

spat the dummy? not familiar with that term

spat the dummy? not familiar with that term
“Spit the dummy” means-
-To lose one’s temper or compose
-To give up contesting or participating

based on a child crying (having a tantrum) and spitting out their dummy (pacifier).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MambeuX
Back