GUILTY Australia - Lisa Harnum, 30, killed in 15-storey fall, Sydney, 30 July 2011 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
"High" end indeed ;) ;)

But yes I know what you mean, though I don't know much about it either. Isn't it drugs that increase testosterone, like steroids, that can make people rage? :dunno: My impression is that SG is unstable enough without chemical enhancement.

<modsnip>

the only thing I know of (ie witnessed ONCE so have seen how freaky it is) is 'roid rage' - which I gather was (in that case) synthetic (and illegally but apparently easily imported steroids)....very, very scary. cannot imagine personally why anyone would do that stuff but them I am SO not into exercise it isnt funny. but I believe those drugs do have psychiatric 'side effects' and add that to an already 'disordered' person - what a mess!! but of course this is all speculation on a boring Friday night!

I'd really like to know what "the exceptional circumstances" were?. Whatever they were they no longer exist.

Friday November 8, 2013

http://www.skynews.com.au/local/article.aspx?id=922787

Personally, I think it is money-related. He didn't have enough money to pay a lawyer during a lengthy trial, and he didn't qualify for Legal Aid.

So he avoids paying for his lawyer to visit him in jail, and he helps with photocopying :rolleyes:, and drags an attache case of files into court every day, to keep up the charade.

His lawyer assists in this regard by insisting he still needs SG's 'help' with the case. :liar: (just cos you like it enzeder :loveyou:)

Tedeschi says that the exceptional circumstances are done because SG has testified, and the bulk of the defence case has been presented, so why the heck does his lawyer still need SG's 'help'.

And the judge keeps allowing the bail conditions, although she has tightened them a little, in fear of a mistrial (may not be able to afford lawyer to finish the trial).

In the SMH article linked above, something stood out to me and I quote '
Barbara Gittany also cried as she gave evidence to the judge alone trial on Friday.
She told the court her brother returned to the family home in Merrylands.
He rocked back and forth on a lounge and repeatedly said: "Baby, baby, baby, what were you thinking?" and "why does it hurt so much?"'
It seems like the defence will milk the 'suicide' assertion for all it is worth throughout and of course family will support him to this end. Maybe he has made out to family that he is innocent also, but they must know.
Also the brother's friend who was given the hard drive - how reliable is his evidence? He is not an independent witness by any stretch. If there was nothing incriminating on the hard drive, why did it remain unfound for so long? Curiouser and curiouser. I think there is a real risk of flight with this accused and his bail should be revoked. The judge who granted bail in the first place granted it on very weak 'special circumstances' and it should not have happened. I guess the surety of $600,000 helped sway the balance. Other accused murderers don't receive the same concessions. I hope that the prosecutor continues to ask for revocation of bail every day of the trial.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/national/balc...wn-in-court-20131108-2x6q5.html#ixzz2k2iYAnTI

Well said KG1 and I totally agree with you. Why this was ever granted bail is beyond me. He threatened Lisa's friend and he has a history of violence. He should never have been granted bail on any condition.

Well said KG1 and I totally agree with you. Why this was ever granted bail is beyond me. He threatened Lisa's friend and he has a history of violence. He should never have been granted bail on any condition.

Yes, I too am having a lot of trouble with this decision regarding bail - I don't know how he managed it - truly I don't.

(JMHO)
And I think he is a candidate for a runner.

Today Tonight showed something about Lisa's death last night ... I caught the very tail end of it, showing a reporter standing in front of their apartment building ... but missed the rest of the article. Have been searching for the video today online, but can't find it.

I'm sure it wouldn't have breached the judge's order, but I am still interested to know what it contained.

Did anyone else see it? Not sure if it only played in Adelaide, or if it was nationwide. Have looked at Today Tonight video for Adelaide and nationwide, but ... nothing. :dunno:

2qk2p88.jpg
~Lisa Harnum~

Hi everyone... :loveyou:

Just wanted to add that I went to primary and high school with three of the Gittany family members - Simon, Simon's brother (mentioned in MSM), Anthony, and a female cousin (with whom I was close friends).

For anyone interested, the family pronounce their surname "Jit-arny".

When I first saw Simon in the news, I immediately thought, "Yep, he killed her." The more I see of him, and the more I hear the evidence, the more I'm convinced. MOO.

My experience of the family was limited to school interactions, birthday parties and occasional weekend get togethers. However, even as a young person, it was clear to me that the Gittany men ruled, while the women quietly obeyed. The Gittany women I knew were strong, gorgeous and intelligent, but were also constantly brow-beaten and put down by some of their male relatives.

My thoughts and prayers go to Lisa and her family. RIP, beautiful lady. XX

Hi LillyPilly :seeya:

Nice to have you join us! Thanks for giving us your opinion about what many of us suspected ... controlling men, submissive women.

So sad that Lisa fell for his 'charms' and ended up being downtrodden, then killed. And by the look on RL's face lately, I think that she is feeling some of that control now too (and doesn't like it) .. whether she is actually his 'girlfriend' or not.

I don't understand how it is a judge only trial. I thought murder trials had to be trial by jury?

Hi All,

I've been following the case in the media and online. Does anyone know if it is possible for the public to attend the trial and listen to the proceedings in court? I've found the location of the trial on the Supreme court website but there's no mention on whether the public are are allowed inside.

Also, if you are allowed in, how do you find out what will be discussed on a particular day? Is there an agenda?

Many thanks,

Hi everyone... :loveyou:

Just wanted to add that I went to primary and high school with three of the Gittany family members - Simon, Simon's brother (mentioned in MSM), Anthony, and a female cousin (with whom I was close friends).

For anyone interested, the family pronounce their surname "Jit-arny".

When I first saw Simon in the news, I immediately thought, "Yep, he killed her." The more I see of him, and the more I hear the evidence, the more I'm convinced. MOO.

My experience of the family was limited to school interactions, birthday parties and occasional weekend get togethers. However, even as a young person, it was clear to me that the Gittany men ruled, while the women quietly obeyed. The Gittany women I knew were strong, gorgeous and intelligent, but were also constantly brow-beaten and put down by some of their male relatives.

My thoughts and prayers go to Lisa and her family. RIP, beautiful lady. XX

Welcome LillyPilly :seeya:

Great to have someone with a bit of personal insight into the family!! Thanks for posting!

I don't understand how it is a judge only trial. I thought murder trials had to be trial by jury?

Welcome sarahrobinson! :) - I don't understand it either but here's a couple of links I posted further back on the thread about Judge only trials.

Trials in NSW by Judge Alone: Recent Legislative Changes
http://www.publicdefenders.lawlink..../judgealonetrialsrecentlegislativechanges.pdf

Trial by Judge Alone - The Issues
http://www.bakerlove.com.au/articles/trial-by-judge-alone---the-issues.html

R v Gittany [2013] NSWSC 1503 (14 October 2013)

3. The Crown opposed the making of a trial by judge order. Section 131 of the Criminal Procedure Act provides that, except as otherwise provided by the Act, criminal proceedings in the Supreme Court or the District Court are to be tried by jury. If both the accused and the prosecutor agree to a trial by judge order, the Court must make the order. However if, as in the present case, the prosecutor does not agree, the matter is left to the discretion of the Court.

40. In the face of that further evidence and other material, when the hearing of the application resumed before me last Thursday, the Crown stated that, whilst he still formally opposed the application for trial by a judge alone, if it were ultimately a choice between a lengthy adjournment and a trial by judge alone the Crown would prefer a trial by judge alone.
http://www.austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/s...03.html?stem=0&synonyms=0&query=simon gittany

The Queanbeyan Age posted an article today of the exact transcript of what Justice Lucy McCallum had to say to Channel Seven in court about the Today Tonight show debacle.

http://www.queanbeyanage.com.au/sto...ustice-lucy-mccallum-and-channel-seven/?cs=12

I can see why a Judge Only Trial are not so good.
Channel 7 almost tipped this case over.
It is one person (the Judge) who has to be almost completely isolated from any other information about the case in hand - and I don't know if that is possible.

I have reservations that SG's trial is solely based on lack of funds or the length of the time the trial would have taken - I think the choice of a Judge Only Trial is a strategic maneuver - one where his lawyer may think there is an advantage over not having the Public Jury decide on the evidence.
JMHO

And here is the compilation of videos showing Lisa in much happier times .. her engagement, her Catholic baptism, playing golf, dancing ....

http://media.watoday.com.au/news/national-news/a-life-cut-tragically-short-3949316.html

When things turned bad, why oh why couldn't he just let her go?! She once was so happy, smiling, full of life .... :(

Thanks for posting that link SouthAussie.

Seeing her laughing and having fun really humanises her. Such a lovely, vibrant woman.

She won't be forgotten - I'm sure that somebody like that touched many peoples' hearts.

And I say, for the millionth time, may justice be served...:jail:

And here is the compilation of videos showing Lisa in much happier times .. her engagement, her Catholic baptism, playing golf, dancing ....

http://media.watoday.com.au/news/national-news/a-life-cut-tragically-short-3949316.html

When things turned bad, why oh why couldn't he just let her go?! She once was so happy, smiling, full of life .... :(
BBM

Lisa was done with him - She'd had enough of all the abuse - no turning back and he knew it!. Yet another case of if I can't have her............ imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheSolver