Australia Australia - Marion Barter - Missing After Trip to UK - June 1997 #20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if this has been touched on before but Amsterdam & Bali (his favourite places to travel in and out of) are well known for (amongst other things) their Red Light districts.

We know he isn’t exactly the most faithful husband on this Planet and hoping you haven’t eaten but could his ‘blue’ Willy Wouters be anything to do with his promiscuity?

In fact would NSW Police be able to obtain his medical records? You would think the amount of moving he did he would be changing Dr every few years? Not sure how it works in Australia? I’m mean those legs must have been given him some gyp with all those numerous long haul flights?
Agree, at the inquest he seemed to be obsessed with anything of a sexual nature, volunteering so much irrelevant detail in this regard about his victims. Even when he was talking about Rudolf Nureyev, he had to mention RN being gay. No stuttering or “I, I, I, I don’t remember…” when it came to talking about sex.

Agree, at the inquest he seemed to be obsessed with anything of a sexual nature, volunteering so much irrelevant detail in this regard about his victims. Even when he was talking about Rudolf Nureyev, he had to mention RN being gay. No stuttering or “I, I, I, I don’t remember…” when it came to talking about sex.
And JO with her belly dancing and his enchantment with her and a feather!

Was that before or after JO had ‘bewitched’ him with her belly-dancing (because sleepy Deal in Kent is a hotbed for belly-dancers).

She obviously didn’t bewitch him enough in order to stop him in his mad rush to beat her home to Australia?

How I wished I’d been there when he arrived at her door to be met by JO and the locksmith with him panting so much she offered him a glass of water. That scene just has to be in the movie.

I agree - it was after the ad was found he was questioned by police and said he didn’t know her but went in next day to say yes he did know her (mb)
The one thing I see with him is someone who doesn’t care and not a person with a murder or two under his belt - crime and grime but not murder - he’s a bit of a bumbling idiot and I also don’t get that the amount of un provable things that are being said about him why hasn’t his lawyer not sued TLV and others for libel or slander etc - it means maybe he knows so much more but not going to poke the hornets nest.
He has been tried by media and a semi powerless coroners inquest and seen as guilty but he never stamped his feet and legally fought back - if I was innocent I’d be screaming and fighting back.
His ego would be overcooked because he’s got away with so much fraud over the years - if I was police I’d offer him a deal at his age for info on what happened.
Just because he hasn’t been nailed for murder yet doesn’t prove anything. There were plenty of crimes committed that we know about but that he wasn’t convicted for, including, for example social security fraud. These crimes are probably just the tip of the iceberg. His callous disregard for his fellow human beings including his own flesh and blood make him far more likely than most people to have been involved in more violent criminal activities. There are plenty of witness accounts of him talking about murderous deeds and threatening violence. They can’t all be liars, even though he has the hide to accuse them of lying while he himself has been unashamedly spurting out lie after lie while under oath during the inquest. He is fully deserving of the media attention and everything that is being said about him. He doesn’t deserve to be offered a deal. Hopefully before he departs this world he will be fully exposed and held fully accountable for everything he has done.

The balcony photo is from a unit, at 14 the Terrace, East Ballina, Angels Beach. J might be looking to find info from old neighbours?
What is much more interesting to me is just HOW many properties they owned GIVEN they were on 2 pensions..... one word - HOW!

I also noticed that in 1988 :
He bought an apartment in a brand new complex in NSW

Obtains his Queensland FNR license
Dianes mother dies

Woodenbong - Diane claimed they purchased a house using her inheritance - they are still living there 1988
* her father died 1987
HANDY place to live being only 10km from the QLD border =
*He changes his name to Richard Lloyd Westbury and gains a new passport
* 87 -Holland Park Magistrates Court - AH ordered to repay a store $100 + Credit card fees for purchase of shoes
* 87 - trip to Europe via NZ

And LATE 1997

The family move from Wollongbar back to The Terrace Angel Beach Ballina
Diane says because M still at school.......

1997 - 6/14 The Terrace
then a move perhaps to
1/14 The Terrace ???

Last edited:
Sally's post on FB 15Jun had info on the postmarks of the postcards and letter from Marion, decoded for when processed etc. There is no mention on SL's post of any outstanding anomalies such as cards processed a month after MB's return to Aus, so I had thought the scenario of someone else sending cards had been discounted. JMO
There is definitely documentation there are 2 postcards postmarked after MB supposedly came back into Australia.
1 was to her sister and the other to LL
It is on the podcast and talked about at inquest.
1 was postmarked 7th August and the other 30th August. - one of those had details on the back which I think was also talked about here. The other was blank.

Maybe they haven't been addressed on the FB page because of family dynamics ? I mean for Marions exBIL to say what he did to AS at the last inquest they obs have a lot of discord. Still haven't reached out to SL after everything that has been shown at inquest so far. Which must be very heartbreaking for her.

Opps sorry Ruby! I meant to tag @Bibno but it went to you.

Last edited:
@MrsEmmaPeel what an excellent summary you have shared! I think your possibility of someone slipping the false landing/arrival card into the system would be extremely probable. Remembering this was 1997, pre World Trade Centre easier travel movements, or even a bit of sleight of hand, could easily have passed this fake card over. Even an innocent sounding "Oh, looked what I picked up on the floor!" and voilà, it's in the little box with all the other cards for the filing system.

Lovely WS. I have a few queries and ideas that I would like to share to see if any of the talented folk here have thoughts or information on:

• Water: from places he has lived is there always proximity to a beach or the sea?
  • There have been a few times, in people’s recollections, where they have said he mentioned a boat/yacht & of course Capt Willy and his sunken boat mystery which may or may not be him- I would love to know if there is any history of him actually being able to skipper a boat as this would open up some more avenues for investigation.
  • Can and does he swim? Why would he “take over swim coaching of his daughter” - what experience would he have had with that? Or is it just another lot of his “I can do anything” BS. He seemed to be VERY involved in the sport and had enough knowledge to be somewhat respected in it. Just another link to water.
  • Does anyone know how long his “stop over” in NZ actually was, and what name was he using then? What were his known aliases at that stage so I can do some more NZ searches (although I am pretty sure the amazing KiwiNZ will have covered all this off already, but just in case).
  • I have wondered if Marion would not mention her “going overseas to get married” to SL as SL was in the midst of wedding planning herself. Maybe Marion didn’t want to steal her daughters thunder as it were? She seemed to be a caring mum and that may have been a factor that she considered. JMO

FWIW I made a flowchart of possibilities Aug - Oct 1997. It helped clear my mind and actually raised more questions for me. Maybe you will find it helpful. Corrections appreciated.View attachment 433066
Thank you very much MrsEmmaPeel, this is perfect to get a clear picture in our minds. Just want to check on the date of the visit to the optometrist (eye examination). Shouldn’t it be 13 August in the last green circle? (The date is correct in the yellow circle on the left)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
just_a_shouthern_gal