Australia Australia - Marion Barter - Missing After Trip to UK - June 1997 #22

Travelling on Westbury 1997

Marions RACQ insurance canceled 7 August - over the phone

He changes his name to deH in the local phone book in October 1997 ( for the upcoming 1998 edition)

Nissan Bluebird - he says he sold it but it was still under his name in 1998

Buys the Magna 11 August 1997 - Diane says it was for M to drive - she was 16 at the time - they are "pensioners" what pensioner has spare cash to by a car a yr before needing it

AC - You bought a car 11 Aug 1997 for $2000 and handed it over to Dianne then eventually to the son – no family member helped you to purchase that car?

RB: No I didn't have 2 cars

AC - Tell me about the car you acquired 11 Aug of 1997

RB: No I didn't

14 Oct 1997
FdH pays $13 from joint account for a safe custody envelope at Commonwealth Bank Ballina, which only he can access.

So we could surmise the car was purchased in August 1997 to ferry Marion around the Byron Bay/Ballina/Grafton area, or was available to her for her own use.
This would support the theory of those who believe that Marion DID return to Australia; the dates match up perfectly; and it would definitely be HER money (not Mr Scrooge's) that was used to purchase the car. However, with AKA's knowledge of fraud involving passports and false documentation, I am still not totally convinced it was MB returning. Today, there could be an illegal immigrant living in Australia who paid AKA for this service. JMHO

So we could surmise the car was purchased in August 1997 to ferry Marion around the Byron Bay/Ballina/Grafton area, or was available to her for her own use.
Yes I think most believe that is what happened and why he bought the bomb of a car.

Then DdeH testifies on the stand it was bought for Maite - that way it eliminates any wrong doing on her part IMO ..."just a car for the kid" , nothing to see here.

Diane testified she drove him to bus stops etc because he didn't drive - More lies.
Then the car yard person who knew him from previous car purchases says he had parked the car across the road and had a "European looking" woman in the passenger seat when he went in to purchase the Magna.
So who drove the 2 cars home Diane?? ( wish she would answer this :) ) More lies.

The car was purchased 1 day AFTER Marion supposedly had left the Novotel - 10th - where was she that night??? HOW could he purchase a car in NSW and drive it by himself back into Brisbane CBD to pick up Marion on the same day 11th OR 12th?? DEPENDING what time the car was purchased and WHAT did Diane ask him IF he dropped her off home and spun around to drive all the way to Brisbane???? ( I believe it was DdeH the carsales man saw - not MB) JMO

I don't believe he bought it to ferry Marion about - especially around the Byron Bay area for days on end, walking in and out of banks and I guess food shops ?? walking through supermarkets ??
how/where are they/she eating??? booking into accommodation with her what? FNMR ID??? someone would have remembered that name / how was she going to pay for that ?? her ID is in one name and her banking card in another... at this point she has not withdrawn money from the bank so maybe she had Aussie money still on her to pay for accommodation ?? cant imagine he forking out any money for accommodation (Also just on this - HOW did she pay for the Novotel and be able to book it so quickly from OS...)

Hiding out for weeks on end - where ALL of Dianes relatives live and work and play if he was the one driving - and where Marion herself frequented on occasion it was said.

She only had her FNMR license with MALE ticked, pretty brave thing to do if she drove the car, driving around the town /towns with a name so unique praying no police stop her for any traffic offence I would imagine - given she went to such great lengths months before to hide her new identity and plans from family and close friends.

I think HE bought that car because NO ONE would recognise him and Diane in that car when they went to the banks in BB and QLD to fleece Marions account - using the cards and ID of Marion Barter that he stole and kept in his little filing cabinets for future reference

Why?? Why would he /they, need Marion back in Australia to fleece her accounts??? He had everything he needed already. He didnt need Marion here - he did need a female though.

And Why???? would that Bank Manager insert herself into the equation after all these years / decades and suddenly remember a "flip" woman with a flower behind her ear using an odd name????

Because she remembered a woman who looked just like Marion IMO

Diane deHedervary

JMO

This would support the theory of those who believe that Marion DID return to Australia; the dates match up perfectly; and it would definitely be HER money (not Mr Scrooge's) that was used to purchase the car. However, with AKA's knowledge of fraud involving passports and false documentation, I am still not totally convinced it was MB returning. Today, there could be an illegal immigrant living in Australia who paid AKA for this service. JMHO
Agree totally. Someone else used that PP IMO .

Except how could it be Marions money to purchase the car. No money taken out of her account until the 18 August - 2 withdrawals on same day
The car was $4K from my notes - I think he said $2K at inquest ? (That's a lot of Aust money to carry in her wallet all this time while OS if she paid for it in cash)

DATES:

18 AUGUST = 2 WITHDRAWALS FROM BYRON BAY NSW

21 AUGUST = 1 WITHDRAWAL FROM BURLEIGH HEADS QLD - AN HOUR AWAY from BB

POSSIBLY STAYED IN QLD THE NIGHT OF 21ST - THIS WAS A THURSDAY

TO HAVE ANOTHER WITHDRAWAL ON THE 22ND ON THE FRIDAY

22 AUGUST = 1 WITHDRAWAL FROM BURLEIGH HEADS QLD

THEN DRIVES BACK TO NSW ON THE 23RD

23 TO 28TH AUGUST = WITHDRAWALS EVERYDAY = BYRON BAY BANK NSW

ON 1 SEPTEMBER 1997 HER CREDIT CARD WAS USED ONE TIME ONLY

BALANCE OF MONEY $80 000 WITHDRAWN FROM BANK ON 15 OCTOBER 1997

Too much driving for Marion to be doing this incognito

Also I keep going back to this:
WHY would he close this business after all those decades at the very time MB "is about to fly back into Australia"
Willy Coppenolle Business Registered 1974
Discontinued - August 1 1997
1 Aug 1997 - the day of SL last phone call with MB when she said she was in Tunbridge Wells

Last edited:
Except how could it be Marions money to purchase the car. No money taken out of her account until the 18 August - 2 withdrawals on same day
The car was $4K from my notes - I think he said $2K at inquest ? (That's a lot of Aust money to carry in her wallet all this time while OS if she paid for it in cash)
Perfect ruse! The car was paid for using the cash settlement AKA received from the female imposter who imitated MB returning to Australia on her passport. IMO. I believe that MB would definitely have contacted someone in her family IF she had returned and given the length of time she was purportedly back in Australia, there would have been enough time to do so. Keeping in mind that AKA was moving around a lot in those weeks and months following his return, I believe with Marion's intelligence she would have definitely have found a way to contact someone/anyone if she felt threatened or sensed duplicity. IMHO, she was never in Australia.

Last edited:
There is a new news post up on www.sallyleydon.com with a bit more info than what is on the FB/insta MPMB page post.
Yes it is a good one isnt it
And it will be great to finally have concrete facts and be able to add or eliminate what we theorise.

SL looks so much like Marion in that photo that is up.

IF that is a photo taken in the April of 1997 then that is what Marion looked like when AH caught her in his net.
Wouldn't be too difficult for DdeH to pass M off at the banks

Last edited:
Yes I think most believe that is what happened and why he bought the bomb of a car.

Then DdeH testifies on the stand it was bought for Maite - that way it eliminates any wrong doing on her part IMO ..."just a car for the kid" , nothing to see here.

Diane testified she drove him to bus stops etc because he didn't drive - More lies.
Then the car yard person who knew him from previous car purchases says he had parked the car across the road and had a "European looking" woman in the passenger seat when he went in to purchase the Magna.
So who drove the 2 cars home Diane?? ( wish she would answer this :) ) More lies.

The car was purchased 1 day AFTER Marion supposedly had left the Novotel - 10th - where was she that night??? HOW could he purchase a car in NSW and drive it by himself back into Brisbane CBD to pick up Marion on the same day 11th OR 12th?? DEPENDING what time the car was purchased and WHAT did Diane ask him IF he dropped her off home and spun around to drive all the way to Brisbane???? ( I believe it was DdeH the carsales man saw - not MB) JMO

I don't believe he bought it to ferry Marion about - especially around the Byron Bay area for days on end, walking in and out of banks and I guess food shops ?? walking through supermarkets ??
how/where are they/she eating??? booking into accommodation with her what? FNMR ID??? someone would have remembered that name / how was she going to pay for that ?? her ID is in one name and her banking card in another... at this point she has not withdrawn money from the bank so maybe she had Aussie money still on her to pay for accommodation ?? cant imagine he forking out any money for accommodation (Also just on this - HOW did she pay for the Novotel and be able to book it so quickly from OS...)

Hiding out for weeks on end - where ALL of Dianes relatives live and work and play if he was the one driving - and where Marion herself frequented on occasion it was said.

She only had her FNMR license with MALE ticked, pretty brave thing to do if she drove the car, driving around the town /towns with a name so unique praying no police stop her for any traffic offence I would imagine - given she went to such great lengths months before to hide her new identity and plans from family and close friends.

I think HE bought that car because NO ONE would recognise him and Diane in that car when they went to the banks in BB and QLD to fleece Marions account - using the cards and ID of Marion Barter that he stole and kept in his little filing cabinets for future reference

Why?? Why would he /they, need Marion back in Australia to fleece her accounts??? He had everything he needed already. He didnt need Marion here - he did need a female though.

And Why???? would that Bank Manager insert herself into the equation after all these years / decades and suddenly remember a "flip" woman with a flower behind her ear using an odd name????

Because she remembered a woman who looked just like Marion IMO

Diane deHedervary

JMO
Why couldn’t it be somewhere in between? MB does return but is killed earlier than October. Marion starts withdrawals (and sets precedence of them) but DdH finishes them in a big hat with a flower behind her ear?

I think Marian did come back but I don’t think she made the withdrawals as I suspect by then that she couldn’t. I also don’t agree with the later date given by the coroner for her death due to where she would have been in the intervening time. I would be concerned that the car was also used for transporting her after that point.

I also think that the police not investigating now, or not communicating to Sally that they are (unforgivable, comes across as a massive giving of the finger to the coroner. What’s the point if they’re just able to shrug their shoulders.
Yes it is appalling!!! I really hope SL sues them! She has found enough evidence to warrant it. The NSW police and QLD police for that matter were so corrupt back then, just the police at the time SL reported M missing is enough to raise eyebrows. It wouldn't surprise me at all that JL from FPolice who first informed GC about M returning, is the son of TL the most corrupt cop in Aust at the time. Fitzgerald Inquiry all over again. This country is a breeding ground for criminals like AH, because no one does their job!!!!

Yes it is appalling!!! I really hope SL sues them! She has found enough evidence to warrant it. The NSW police and QLD police for that matter were so corrupt back then, just the police at the time SL reported M missing is enough to raise eyebrows. It wouldn't surprise me at all that JL from FPolice who first informed GC about M returning, is the son of TL the most corrupt cop in Aust at the time. Fitzgerald Inquiry all over again. This country is a breeding ground for criminals like AH, because no one does their job!!!!
Interesting. Is it possible that AH knows things that might historically concern the investigating bodies themselves. If not the case, it seems even more as though they’d want to throw themselves into an investigation to prove good faith (and only incompetence!) in the past and present. MOO of course. JMO.

Below is combined list of aliases from Laura Richards latest post on Insta (idk why but not able to copy link) and a previous WS post by @Liselle (maybe typos by me, but hope not and open to being corrected)

Anthony GRECH
Atilla DUPONT
Bernard DUPONT
Christopher DUPONT
BOUTEN or BOUTON (?)
Chaim Frederick David DEHEDERVARY
Chaim DE HEDERVARY
Chaim Frederick DAVID
Chaim DAVID
Charles GUYON
Christopher DU PONT
Christopher STEIN
Fernand Nocolas REMAKEL
Francis David DE HEDERVARY
Franck MELAN
Frank MELON
Freddy DAVID
Fredy DAVID
Ricky DAVID
David FREDDY
Frederick David DE HEDERVARY
Frederick DE HEDERVARU
Frederick DEHEDERVARY
Frederick DE-HAVERDERY
Frederic DE-HAVERDERY
Frederike DE HEDERVARY
Francis David DE HEDERVARY
FLEMING (last name}
Gaetan LE BOURISCOT
Guy DIVIO
Philippe DINT
Remy LAJOY
Roger LAZONEY
Roger LAUZONEY
Richard BLUM
Ric BLUM
Richard Lloyd WEST
Rick WEST
Ric WEST
Richard WESTBURY
Richard Lloyd WESTBURY
Rich RICHARD
Rick RICHARD
Tony GRECCA
Willy WOUTERS
Wouters WILLY
Willy COPPENOLE
Willy DAVID COPPENOLLE
Will COPPENOLLE
Will DAVID-COPPENOLLE
WILSON (last name)
Zebdel ZILLI (?)

In trying to make sense of Marion’s activities from Brisbane to Northern New South Wales in August 1997, I remind myself that she was under the influence of Nowhere Man, who has no moral centre. His choices only make sense to his overwhelming greed for money.

Things I wonder about:

Did he, at that time, own an isolated property where he had Marion stay

Did he change her location more than once

Did he deny her any outside communication i.e. no mobile phone, no landline

Was this property eventually torn down so evidence is lost

Did he string her along with a promise of buying a school in Bali

Did she begin to feel something was wrong

Did he poison her

If he did it, when? Early October, late September, mid-August?

The only question I would really like an answer to is where is Marion.

What was that “Natalia” comment on FB about—misdirection? A private joke?

If she didn’t make it back to Australia then that leads to many other directions. But at the middle is Nowhere Man, typically the only place he ever is: the centre of other’s people’s distress and trouble. His deDeH family won’t escape the trouble he causes either because that’s really all he contributes.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
utahtruecrimepod
Back