Australia- Nine people stabbed including 9 month baby @ the Westfield Shopping Centre in Bondi Junction, suspect fatally shot, Sydney, 13 April 2024

BBM : So very true.

It's a real catch 22 situation with the side effects. Medication adjustment is best dealt with by a psychiatrist ( of course there is a hefty cost ) v's GP when trying to find what works for them . GP's are great at maintenance & rpt scripts, once stabilised IMO

In my experience people stop taking their meds for many reasons : because they have " no feelings" - they say they are like a zombie etc, weight gain is a big one, run out & can't get a Dr's appointment, cost, because they fell good & don't think they need them,
As to the bolded---that was the big problem we had with my brother. He'd get stabilised on his meds and would 'feel just fine.' And soon he'd secretly stop taking them and then he'd have another episode.

Sometimes he'd spiral badly and it would take awhile to get him to comply and begin a new regimen. But somehow he'd always get back to his meds because they did make it possible for him to maintain mental balance. And lithium, for some reason, seemed to work the best for him--it was mostly a matter of how much.

He lived in a group home for awhile, full of guys with same diagnosis. I visited him a few times there and he said living with them helped him understand how others saw him, and it helped him realise that he did need his meds. He could see the difference between guys who were on the program from those who weren't taking theirs.

itinerant life style, they get stolen.....so many reasons.

NSW Health Minister Ryan Park said he was told on Monday morning the baby's condition had changed from critical to serious.
"That's a big change and a significant improvement," he said.

Park said he was hopeful the baby could be moved out of intensive care and into a ward in the coming days.

9News is now reporting that baby has been moved from ICU into a ward today.

Today Good's daughter was moved out of ICU and into a ward at the Sydney Children's Hospital.
She is in a serious but stable condition after being upgraded from critical yesterday.

Seven other patients wounded in the Saturday attack remain in care.

Victims families visited the site of all the flowers today. Ash Good's mum collected the little stuffed bears and toys that people had left there for her granddaughter.
The police showed some family members around inside Westfield Bondi Junction.
Presumably, these family members wanted to be shown what happened ... perhaps to assist themselves with their grief and incomprehension of the tragedy. imo

The flowers have become so voluminous that they are now cordoned off in a central area.

Bondi Junction - victims' families lay flowers

Victims families visited the site of all the flowers today. Ash Good's mum collected the little stuffed bears and toys that people had left there for her granddaughter.
The police showed some family members around inside Westfield Bondi Junction.
Presumably, these family members wanted to be shown what happened ... perhaps to assist themselves with their grief and incomprehension of the tragedy. imo

The flowers have become so voluminous that they are now cordoned off in a central area.

Bondi Junction - victims' families lay flowers
I watched this and fervently wish it will never happen again. The families.
My heart goes out to them.

A suburban Melbourne shopping centre was sent into chaos on Monday afternoon after machete-wielding youths busted through the doors and began attacking each other.

Victoria Police received reports of a group of males “armed with edged weapons” fighting at Woodgrove Shopping Centre in Melton, about 5pm Monday.

Shoppers were forced to flee the centre, in Melbourne’s northwest, when the teenagers launched their alleged horrifying attack.

Bondi attacker had ‘mental health issues’ but most people with mental illness aren’t violent
While we have made some progress in the recognition that mental illness affects a large percentage of the population, individual acts of violence committed by someone with mental illness must not lead us to jump to conclusions that all people with mental illness are violent.

Such publications only confuse readers. Let's assume the arguments listed are objective, and the conclusion is indeed as stated in the article. But then what? Just because the majority (statistical majority) is not noticed in cruelty (partly because family members do not report, among other reasons), it is proposed to leave the remaining minority, which, it should be noted, is already assumed to inevitably exhibit cruelty today or tomorrow, unmonitored in society and hope for the best? These could be children, they could be anyone, anywhere, but since they are a statistical minority, society is not entitled to protection from potential killers. That's exactly how this should be understood. If we count how many of these "isolated cases" there have already been, quite a long list accumulates. Moreover, such attacks in public places happen with alarming regularity. Whether it's a drug-crazed driver mowing down pedestrians on the street or a madman with a knife, such news seems to be increasingly common. And the reason is always the same - mental health issues, yet the person doesn't undergo treatment, doesn't take medication, and lives without any supervision. And what is this if not a delayed-action mine? I think the argument about the majority being harmless is completely irrelevant here. It's utterly wrong to reduce the problem to statistics. Protecting the population from potential attacks by unstable members of society should be prioritized, and the rights of the unstable are completely irrelevant here. In fact, it's nonsensical to prioritize the unwillingness of unstable members of society to seek treatment over the desire to live of other members of society, who statistically outnumber them in any case.

Bondi attacker had ‘mental health issues’ but most people with mental illness aren’t violent

Such publications only confuse readers. Let's assume the arguments listed are objective, and the conclusion is indeed as stated in the article. But then what? Just because the majority (statistical majority) is not noticed in cruelty (partly because family members do not report, among other reasons), it is proposed to leave the remaining minority, which, it should be noted, is already assumed to inevitably exhibit cruelty today or tomorrow, unmonitored in society and hope for the best? These could be children, they could be anyone, anywhere, but since they are a statistical minority, society is not entitled to protection from potential killers. That's exactly how this should be understood. If we count how many of these "isolated cases" there have already been, quite a long list accumulates. Moreover, such attacks in public places happen with alarming regularity. Whether it's a drug-crazed driver mowing down pedestrians on the street or a madman with a knife, such news seems to be increasingly common. And the reason is always the same - mental health issues, yet the person doesn't undergo treatment, doesn't take medication, and lives without any supervision. And what is this if not a delayed-action mine? I think the argument about the majority being harmless is completely irrelevant here. It's utterly wrong to reduce the problem to statistics. Protecting the population from potential attacks by unstable members of society should be prioritized, and the rights of the unstable are completely irrelevant here. In fact, it's nonsensical to prioritize the unwillingness of unstable members of society to seek treatment over the desire to live of other members of society, who statistically outnumber them in any case.

Exactly!

Letting a schizophrenic

(stuffing himself with drugs, not able to hold a job, apparently not taking meds, collecting knives and known to Police for mental health episodes),

wander without being NOT monitored is lethal to society.

Why anybody is surprised with this tragic outcome
is beyond me :rolleyes:

JMO

Last edited:

" 'Stay alert':

US issues travel warning after Sydney stabbings.

The United States Embassy and Consulates in Australia
have warned US citizens to 'remain vigilant'
if travelling to Australia
following the stabbing attack at Bondi Westfield."

(Pay wall)

Last edited:
I am a psychiatrist covering Bondi. We need to invest in mental health services, not stigmatise people

Narcissistic traits can also be a factor, so the attacker seeks notoriety when belonging remains elusive. This toxic mixture can eventually reach boiling point when the attacker exacts revenge on society for perceived mistreatment, with catastrophic consequences.

In my work as a psychiatrist I often assess the risk of potential violence in my patients with schizophrenia or other mental illnesses, asking questions to elucidate their symptoms and assess their mental state. It is an inexact science but regular follow-up can help identify problems early allowing us to intervene.

Although it’s not clear exactly what mental health treatment Cauchi received, underfunded public mental health services often mean patients do not receive the level of care they require.
Our mental health services are short-staffed. Positions are vacant and hard to fill. The pressures of the pandemic and cost-of-living crisis mean clinicians of all disciplines are choosing to work elsewhere. Patients with schizophrenia and a high-risk profile should ideally have a “case manager” – a nurse or social worker, for example, who would keep in touch with them regularly and monitor risk. Paying healthcare professionals fairly for this demanding work may prevent the mass exodus and attract more talent.

The fact that five of the six victims thus far are women (security guard Faraz Tahir being the exception) has raised the question whether Cauchi was targeting women specifically. The NSW police commissioner, Karen Webb, said on Monday that the possibility Cauchi targeted women was a line of inquiry, since videos appeared to show he “focused on women and avoided the men.”

Exactly my thoughts.

Narcissistic and seeking notoriety - choosing the large, crowded shopping Mall in a big city for the attack.
(As I noted in my previous posts)

Stopped taking meds and the results were devastating.
(But predictable)

Father said in a video link a few posts up in this thread, that a DOCTOR decided to pull him off the meds as he was feeling soooo well.
Is it true???
:oops:
Jeez!!!!

Shaking my head.
Oh well ... :(

JMO

Last edited:
Stopped taking meds and the results were devastating.
(But predictable)

Father said in a video link a few posts up in this thread, that a DOCTOR decided to pull him off the meds as he was feeling soooo well.
I've heard the same. Let's hope the relevant authorities are also cognisant of it.

A candlelight vigil will be held this weekend to honour the six people killed in the Bondi Junction stabbing attack.
People are invited to bring their own candles to the vigil, which will be held from 5.30pm on Sunday at Dolphin Court, Bondi Beach.

It comes as Westfield Bondi Junction, the site of Saturday's horror massacre, will reopen tomorrow for "a day of reflection" without retail trade before beginning to resume normal business on Friday.

A 20-year-old man wrongly identified by the embattled Seven Network as the Bondi Junction mass murderer has engaged a high-profile legal team to threaten defamation action against the TV network.

{the person} who was incorrectly identified as the knife attacker by Seven on Sunday, has engaged two of Australia’s foremost defamation lawyers – Patrick George of Giles George as his solicitor and Sue Chrysanthou, SC, as his barrister – to seek damages from the broadcaster.

A 20-year-old man wrongly identified by the embattled Seven Network as the Bondi Junction mass murderer has engaged a high-profile legal team to threaten defamation action against the TV network.

{the person} who was incorrectly identified as the knife attacker by Seven on Sunday, has engaged two of Australia’s foremost defamation lawyers – Patrick George of Giles George as his solicitor and Sue Chrysanthou, SC, as his barrister – to seek damages from the broadcaster.

Gee Sue Chrysanthou, SC is a busy person!

How I wish we could do something about schizophrenia that actually worked.
All the existing medications are crippling.
They hardly research it. Why would they want to cure something that makes them so much money in drugs for 'treatment'.

It's also hilarious to me that it's considered a mental illness and the purview of psychiatrists when it is the most blatantly neurological of the 'psychiatric' disorders.

I find it hilarious because it proves the old joke:
What's the difference between a neurologist and a psychiatrist?
The neurologist takes the patients that can be helped.
I have to admit I was ignorant of just how much a neurological condition it was until I read Hidden Valley Road. The fact that it isn't having huge research grants thrown at it to discover treatments that actually slow or stop the progression of it is truly a travesty. Other conditions that cause dementia, yes, but not schizophrenia, which has probably one of the earliest onsets of the lot. Heartbreaking.

MOO

Good on him, I hope he wins big. That is absolutely dreadful reporting

How St Vincent's hospital medical professionals treated the injured after Bondi Junction attack​

ALL of the patients who arrived at St Vincent's had to be resuscitated. All of them. One was unsuccessful. (It's suggested by the wording that her injuries were unsurvivable, delicately, with the caveat that they can't talk about individual patients.)

Well, that tells us exactly how severe the injuries to the others were, and how hard the teams worked to keep them alive.

MOO

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johlar12