Australia- Nine people stabbed including 9 month baby @ the Westfield Shopping Centre in Bondi Junction, suspect fatally shot, Sydney, 13 April 2024

I've had experiences where I was in the depths of depression and finally reached out.
It took a lot for me to do that.

I had chosen how I was going to end it, and told them.
One GP when I asked to speak to someone said that they don't have anything like that and that I was stronger than I thought I was.
Another said but you didn't do it, you're still here.

There was another one where everything I was brave enough to reveal happened to her too, and I was there just wasting her time. The session, which was a free mental health one didn't last. I reached for my handbag, said thank you and left. In my mind I was saying "thanks for nothing, and thanks for the lack of empathy"

I realised, in my case I was on my own. So I became my own therapist, but I know it's not that easy.
Many people are suffering and can't get the help they need.

In this case, I don't think it's a good idea to try to find a nice and tidy answer and someone to put the blame on.

Like the woman who was visiting JCs parents said to the media outside.
Have a bit of empathy.
Love your comment "In this case, I don't think it's a good idea to try to find a nice and tidy answer and someone to put the blame on."

I've had experiences where I was in the depths of depression and finally reached out.
It took a lot for me to do that.

I had chosen how I was going to end it, and told them.
One GP when I asked to speak to someone said that they don't have anything like that and that I was stronger than I thought I was.
Another said but you didn't do it, you're still here.

There was another one where everything I was brave enough to reveal happened to her too, and I was there just wasting her time. The session, which was a free mental health one didn't last. I reached for my handbag, said thank you and left. In my mind I was saying "thanks for nothing, and thanks for the lack of empathy"

I realised, in my case I was on my own. So I became my own therapist, but I know it's not that easy.
Many people are suffering and can't get the help they need.

In this case, I don't think it's a good idea to try to find a nice and tidy answer and someone to put the blame on.

Like the woman who was visiting JCs parents said to the media outside.
Have a bit of empathy.
DBM - duplicated.

Can you recall a referendum on that decision? It seems it came from above, likely for financial reasons.
Sor Juana In Australia, a referendum is only held if there if there is a proposed change to the constitution.

IIRC other posters have responded to when changes occurred regarding MH policies.

The health of the nine-month-old baby who was stabbed in the Bondi Junction attack on Saturday has improved again, with her condition upgraded to stable at Sydney Children's Hospital this afternoon.

NSW Health officials made the announcement this afternoon, after the child had previously been in a serious but stable condition.

The bit about the union making sure people were still receiving their salary made me raise my eyebrow a little. Retail is an industry that runs on so called 'casual' labour, where if you don't work a shift, you get nothing. There is no 'salary' for a casual contract. I only ever met one person who wasn't management level who had anything but a casual contract, and she only had it because she was a founding staff member of the store a decade earlier. I'd say 90% or more of the people who work at Bondi Junction Westfield will be out of pocket because they are on casual contracts.

MOO

"Spotlight on 'gaps' in Australia's mental health system in wake of Bondi Junction attack.

Institutions shut down 30 years ago

National Association of Practising Psychiatrists president Philip Morris says problems with the system started 30 years ago
when mental health institutions were closed down.

'Suddenly, very unwell people were on the streets,
families were expected to care for them,
some ended up in homeless shelters or living rough,
and many were picked up by police.

Treatments were not followed up and they became a very disadvantaged group of people who should have been properly cared for',
Dr Morris says.

'This group of patients are very marginalised.'

Dr Morris says it is possible to reduce the risk of incidents such as the Bondi attack from happening.

'I would think one of the most important things to do is to start to improve the level of care for these groups of patients that have been disadvantaged over the last 30 to 40 years
and provide them with the sort of care that they deserve and that they need to remain productive and safe members of the community',
he says."

"Furious footy great Alastair Clarkson lashes out at Australia's failure to deal with 'scourge of society' he says is behind Bondi stabbing rampage.

'You're just fed up with it to be fair.
We've got three families in Ballarat grieving.
We get the same thing after every one of them,
drugs or alcohol, and yet as a society, as a government we say,

'Our fellow Australians, we're grieving for our lost ones again'.

'When is it actually going to change?
When are people actually going to do something about this scourge on society which is drugs and alcohol ?'

'The government does nothing about it to the extent that they should.
Drugs is an issue in our sport and we don't do enough about it and we should.

And it's crippling society.

And this is one of the best countries in the world,
but we can do something about it.

But we just tolerate it and don't stand up against it'."

Last edited:
Sounds like a lot of brave acts, and the lone police officer facing him down a true hero. Thoughts to all those impacted.
This is right next to Bondi is a tourist hot spot, and the location of arguably Australia’s most popular beach, known for sunshine, swimming and fun. makes this tragedy even more unbelievable.
Please don't take this the wrong way, the officer did act and deserves a good word. But in the US these kinds of confrontations are routine. Her adversary was armed with a knife. She had a gun. He's dead. Routine. The difference here is your psycho stabbed people. In the US usually when someone goes on a rampage killing spree, they are using AR-15''s or other semi-automatic weapons, maybe a short barreled shotgun and definitely a Glock. Australians should be glad you have much tougher gun laws. Otherwise the body count could have been much higher. The US still doesn't get it.

Please don't take this the wrong way, the officer did act and deserves a good word. But in the US these kinds of confrontations are routine. Her adversary was armed with a knife. She had a gun. He's dead. Routine. The difference here is your psycho stabbed people. In the US usually when someone goes on a rampage killing spree, they are using AR-15''s or other semi-automatic weapons, maybe a short barreled shotgun and definitely a Glock. Australians should be glad you have much tougher gun laws. Otherwise the body count could have been much higher. The US still doesn't get it.
Yes, we sure are lucky to be here in Australia where historic gun law reforms were introduced in 1996.

Mods, I hope I'm not too off-topic here - IMO it's relevant, and the attached link gives some insight, particularly for Websleuthers from countries outside Australia, who may not be aware of/familiar with Australia's Historic Gun Law Reforms, and how the impossible was made possible.

MOO

Last edited:

"Spotlight on 'gaps' in Australia's mental health system in wake of Bondi Junction attack.

Institutions shut down 30 years ago

National Association of Practising Psychiatrists president Philip Morris says problems with the system started 30 years ago
when mental health institutions were closed down.

'Suddenly, very unwell people were on the streets,
families were expected to care for them,
some ended up in homeless shelters or living rough,
and many were picked up by police.

Treatments were not followed up and they became a very disadvantaged group of people who should have been properly cared for',
Dr Morris says.

'This group of patients are very marginalised.'

Dr Morris says it is possible to reduce the risk of incidents such as the Bondi attack from happening.

'I would think one of the most important things to do is to start to improve the level of care for these groups of patients that have been disadvantaged over the last 30 to 40 years
and provide them with the sort of care that they deserve and that they need to remain productive and safe members of the community',
he says."

"Furious footy great Alastair Clarkson lashes out at Australia's failure to deal with 'scourge of society' he says is behind Bondi stabbing rampage.

'You're just fed up with it to be fair.
We've got three families in Ballarat grieving.
We get the same thing after every one of them,
drugs or alcohol, and yet as a society, as a government we say,

'Our fellow Australians, we're grieving for our lost ones again'.

'When is it actually going to change?
When are people actually going to do something about this scourge on society which is drugs and alcohol ?'

'The government does nothing about it to the extent that they should.
Drugs is an issue in our sport and we don't do enough about it and we should.

And it's crippling society.

And this is one of the best countries in the world,
but we can do something about it.

But we just tolerate it and don't stand up against it'."

same is happening here in Canada - all of it
and probably many other countries too
we all need to do better

Yes, we sure are lucky to be here in Australia where historic gun law reforms were introduced in 1996.

Mods, I hope I'm not too off-topic here - IMO it's relevant, and the attached link gives some insight, particularly for Websleuthers from countries outside Australia, who may not be aware of/familiar with Australia's Historic Gun Law Reforms, and how the impossible was made possible.

MOO
I sadly think the US is too far gone. Even in 96, when the changes came in. Most people didnt own a gun, and for those that did it wasnt as easy as what it is in the states.
If they tried a buy back scheme, it would mean the people who are more likely trustworthy with a gun will handover their guns and the not so trustworthy won’t.
N
same is happening here in Canada - all of it
and probably many other countries too
we all need to do better
i dont think ita the drugs and alcohol. Drugs (albeit different drugs) and alcohol have been around for centuries.
Social media is causing so much damage. I dont think we realise the what it is truly doing to people. It’s quite scary
Happy content people dont seek out drugs and alcohol in excess

Individuals who are seeking help tend to seek out drugs and alcohol for self medication.

Im sure a lot of the women killed in australia due to partner violence, a lot of it is ignited from social media.

I know a lot of teenage suicide recently has been impacted by social media (bullying etc)

i think for people like JC, social media highlights how much he doesnt fit in.

I know he has done a very terrible thing. But i feek sad that someone felt so low that they got to this point.
Did he have friends? Did he feel like he belonged somewhere? Did he have a supportive community.
Everyone deserves that

The poor victims have paid the price for society letting down the vulnerable

All imo

Queensland has recently introduced new laws allowing police to 'wand' in the search for knives. Jacks Law was introduced, then there was a trial where police could wand anyone near tram, train, bus or generally around the Surfers precinct (where Jack was stabbed). Maybe wanding needs to be extended to other areas. Surfers is a much safer place now, as are our trains and trams.

WA pepper spray sales surge amid push for Australia-wide access after Bondi stabbings​

As Sydney shoppers start to return to the site of the stabbing attack which rocked the nation, there are renewed calls for authorities to consider legalising the possession of pepper spray for self-defence.

Industry figures have said there is also a need to clarify legislation in Western Australia, which is currently the only Australian state or territory where people can carry the non-lethal spray.

It comes after six people, including five women, were fatally stabbed in Bondi Junction Westfield before the man who committed the attack was shot dead by a police officer.

A baby girl injured in the stabbing attack in a Sydney mall has been has been released from hospital.

The nine-month-old daughter of Ashlee Good, who died protecting her, would continue to receive care from clinicians, a health official said.

Heroic police officer Amy Scott has appeared in public for the first time since the horrific Bondi Junction massacre to farewell the six victims at a touching community vigil.

On Sunday, she was met with hugs from her colleagues and other mourners as she attended the emotional vigil at Bondi.

As the sun set, the glow from the candles held by the gathered mourners cast a gentle light on the crowd.
They joined in a minute of silence to honour those were killed and injured during the horrific attack that shocked the nation.

The ceremony concluded with a touching rendition of Amazing Grace sung by a local choir.

Hero cop emerges for first time since Bondi Junction attack as victims are remembered at candlelight vigil

Excellent question Dotta, and no, I don't think it's too much to ask for adequate treatment for MH patients at all.

IMO adequate treatment for MH patients should be available, just as adequate treatment is available for patients suffering from physiological illnesses, viral diseases, and other diseases including neurological illness (as opposed to "mental" illness where behaviour is affected.) (I am not a medical person - I'm sure other Websleuthers can explain distinctions much better than I.)

I fail to see why sufferers of mental health conditions are not provided with a similar level of treatment as sufferers of other conditions - what possible justification can there be for this?

IMO In our society, mental illness is stigmatised appallingly, and I believe it is common for people to hide mental health situations/conditions when they wouldn't if they were suffering from a non-MH condition. I have observed this throughout my working life.

As a sufferer of major depression, at one stage I attended the Emergency department of my local (regional) hospital, as I was on the brink of suicide and in a state of crisis. (Caveat here - I do recognise that being a triage nurse would be very challenging - nevertheless...) I endured hours of sitting in a full waiting room, sobbing my heart out - eventually I was "seen" by the duty doctor, and then sent home WHERE I LIVED ALONE, DRIVING A CAR, WHEN I WAS CLEARLY NOT IN A FIT STATE TO DRIVE. In effect, I was stigmatised in front of a room full of people, all who would have seen that it was not a good idea to admit to suffering from a mental illness to the triage nurse at this location.

The only thing that kept me going when I got home that night was experiencing the love of my two cats who were clearly tuned in to my emotions and doing their best to comfort me. I couldn't bring myself to abandon them to an uncertain future.
The whole experience brought home to me how difficult it can be to get appropriate help - particularly if you don't have a support person with you IMO.

I noticed very insightful comments from a former member of Gauci's "close circle of friends" during high school in Toowoomba.
(Yes I have been critical of DM at times - this is a direct quote however). Good job DM! -

'If there's a lesson, it's that mental illness is a *advertiser censored* and we shouldn't muck around with it...

We shouldn't be too tough to get help ourselves when we need to, and when people reach out to us for connection we should see it for what it is and not ignore them...

Joel's surely not the only one struggling...'

(He also shared his sympathy for the loved ones of the six shoppers who were killed and the injured.)

PS to my above post.
Just wanted to clarify this section, and add further information.
"...sent home...DRIVING A CAR, WHEN I WAS CLEARLY NOT IN A FIT STATE TO DRIVE....".
It hadn't occurred to me at the time, but the following day I realised how easily this could have caused a dreadful accident, potentially maiming or killing other(s). In hindsight, it's miraculous that this didn't occur - blind luck I think.

IMO when anyone who attends hospital emergency department seeking assistance (whether for mental health-related issues, or otherwise) there should surely be protocols in place to ensure that the above situation does not occur. It's not only the person presenting at Emergency who could be at risk IMO.

I am unsure of protocols for such situations at other locations, but at the time, at my (major) regional hospital, none existed.

I'm happy to note that the Accident & Emergency Department of my hospital introduced appropriate protocols shortly after my experience was drawn to the A&E Director's attention.

Last edited:
Wow it's really shocking to see some of those gifs, makes it feel so "real". It's so important to be aware of your surroundings wherever you are. You can also see that he tried to stab men as well but it looks as though they got away. It doesn't look like an attack on women imo, it looks like he wants to try to stab as many people as possible and whoever is the closest/easiest to get to. It's possible that the men were mostly faster runners than the women so Joel wasn't able to get to them as quickly.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shoegazergirl
Back