Australia - Russell Hill & Carol Clay Murdered While Camping - Wonnangatta Valley, 2020 #7

IMO most people who have followed this case closely know that:

GL is a trainer of pilots, smarter than the average pilot who is highly intelligent.

Some dodgy history with close people dying in mysterious circumstances.

IMO the world is safer with this guy locked up, especially if you like camping by yourself or if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I really very strongly believe GL is guilty of this crime and others.

Guilty of at least 2 murders and the way he handled himself before and after IMO it was not his first rodeo!
Sure, but the best way for him off the streets is with a thorough legal process. Which (unfortunately) means slooooowwww….

I think the trial may be starting tomorrow.

Yes, you are right. Thank goodness it is finally starting! Thanks for the reminder.

a.jpg

It will be a bit of a culture shock after being immersed in the Kohberger, Morphew and Trump cases!
Daybell, Morphew and Trump cases for me, but I'll make time! So little is know about this case, I can't wait to have the story emerge.

(Something that has been bugging me- I remember reading that the suspect in this case showered at a motel after the crime, and that blood from one or both of the victims had been recovered from the bathmat? Does anyone remember this? Was it recovered months afterwards?)

I remember reading that the suspect in this case showered at a motel after the crime, and that blood from one or both of the victims had been recovered from the bathmat?

Is this maybe what you are recalling?

A hotel room in the region was said to be left with numerous bloodstains after the incident, according to the officer’s statement, all of which were cleaned apart from a possible stain on a bathmat.

The Jury has now been selected, comprising of 8 men & 6 women.

The trial is to start on Friday 10/05 and is expected to take between 4 and 6 weeks.
Let us all hope that justice is served for Russell & Carol.

Source: The Age 09/05 (paywalled)

Thoughts on which way this will go?

We all know which way it should go, but reality can be different as seen in a million other trials.
I think it will all be down to exactly what hard evidence the police have on him as to whether he's eventually convicted of either manslaughter or murder, or both!
GL has certainly shown 'rat cunning' (changing car colour, disposal of bodies etc) so it will be interesting to see what's comes out in court.

All my own opinion

Last edited:
The Jury has now been selected, comprising of 8 men & 6 women.

The trial is to start on Friday 10/05 and is expected to take between 4 and 6 weeks.
Let us all hope that justice is served for Russell & Carol.

Source: The Age 09/05 (paywalled)

Wow, up to 112 witnesses could be called to the trial. (as per your linked article)

I think it will all be down to exactly what hard evidence the police have on him as to whether he's eventually charged with either manslaughter or murder, or both!

He has already been charged with murder. Today he pleaded not guilty to the charges. Maybe you mean convicted?

A plea deal for a lesser charge (like manslaughter) hasn't been spoken of in MSM, but I guess it is a possibility still - although I think that typically happens prior to a trial.

I think that the shaky thing here is if his lawyer has been able to get his police interview thrown out of evidence. IIRC he was going to try to do that. He had a problem with the police interview. Although I have read that the police allowed GL to shower and eat before interviewing him, and that he was a willing participant.

imo

Mr Lynn, who was dressed in a dark-coloured suit, stood in front of dozens of potential jurors and formally pleaded "not guilty" to murdering Russell Hill and Carol Clay.

He has already been charged with murder. Today he pleaded not guilty to the charges. Maybe you mean convicted?

A plea deal for a lesser charge (like manslaughter) hasn't been spoken of in MSM, but I guess it is a possibility still - although I think that typically happens prior to a trial.

I think that the shaky thing here is if his lawyer has been able to get his police interview thrown out of evidence. IIRC he was going to try to do that. He had a problem with the police interview. Although I have read that the police allowed GL to shower and eat before interviewing him, and that he was a willing participant.

imo

Mr Lynn, who was dressed in a dark-coloured suit, stood in front of dozens of potential jurors and formally pleaded "not guilty" to murdering Russell Hill and Carol Clay.

Thanks, wrong choice of wording & I've edited it to read correctly now.

It appears Dermot Dann KC is representing GL. I wonder where the funds to pay his fees have come from!
He was a training captain at Jetstar it was mentioned. Looking at some EBAs he is likely on 350k a year so highly unlikely he is short of coin.

Dollars do run out eventually especially when one is unemployed. Not sure how the superannuation system works if one is able to tap that, he might be able to sell his house also.

He was a training captain at Jetstar it was mentioned. Looking at some EBAs he is likely on 350k a year so highly unlikely he is short of coin.

Dollars do run out eventually especially when one is unemployed. Not sure how the superannuation system works if one is able to tap that, he might be able to sell his house also.
Good points.

I was mainly querying the funding because of the media reports last year and it seems that has changed now.

Here's a couple of links from June 2023 which note the funding options/difficulties.

Not sure when Jetstar sacked him, obviously got a payout with that.

Might have sold his property? No idea if his partner is still standing with him, thought I read she was last year.

Under Victorian law, what sort of time frame are we looking at here if found guilty? 20 years? Doubt he will ever be employed as Flight Crew again.

Not sure when Jetstar sacked him, obviously got a payout with that.

Might have sold his property? No idea if his partner is still standing with him, thought I read she was last year.

Under Victorian law, what sort of time frame are we looking at here if found guilty? 20 years? Doubt he will ever be employed as Flight Crew again.

He is not allowed to sell his house. The police put a restraint on that in June 2023. The restraint will remain until the trial is over.

If he is found guilty it is said that there is a 'possibility' that it could be sold and the money given to the victims families.
If he is acquitted the restraint will be lifted and sole ownership returned to his wife (she became sole owner in Jan 2022).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
just_a_shouthern_gal
Back